Microsoft is looking into quick and easy OS update system

GoodBytes

I like the idea of the OS being subscription based but Microsoft needs to completely redo their pricing if that where to success. I would love if they would do a $20/year/computer. If I could get that and not be charged extra fee when windows 10,11,... comes out that would bring the community back to them vs everyone wanting Linux to succeed just to get away from Microsoft. $100/year to run all my computers with the latest OS, yes please

Ugh subscription fees? Fuck this I'm staying with 7.

I'm thnking of either dual or triple booting:

• Windows 7 (one SSD)
  • Linux (probably the latest Ubuntu, another SSD)
  • SteamOS (another SSD)

Each gets their own mechanical hardrive. Perhaps some virtual machines as well.

If I get a cheap upgrade and the upgrades are as seamless and painless as Android, iOS or OS X, I will consider it. But I will not tolerate a subscription model for an OS.

considering windows is still the only os that is sold, rather that being free or open source, i find that it would be suicide if they put a subscription version on it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

You downgraded quite a bit there. Go down to Vista.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi_2020LJQo#t=90

1:30 - 1:42

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

also, i find it a bit absurd the speculation the source is putting that the job offering is for making windows on subscription, i think they just want a more easy way to patch the new feature without the need to do a restart

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Office 365 can go screw it self, I DO NOT want an OS that relies soley on the "cloud" and or requires a ******* (think f word) internet connection to use.

Looks like Linux has found a new home.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I'm thnking of either dual or triple booting:

• Windows 7 (one SSD)
  • Linux (probably the latest Ubuntu, another SSD)
  • SteamOS (another SSD)
Each gets their own mechanical hardrive. Perhaps some virtual machines as well.

Eh, try Fedora or Mint.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Office 365 can go screw it self, I DO NOT want an OS that relies soley on the "cloud" and or requires a ******* (think f word) internet connection to use.

You mean like the version of Windows, where since XP you need an internet connection to use, else activation will fail after a certain number of days?

You can you use it for 30 days, but then you must connect to the internet, I don't care how long the period is - a year, a decade, a century, a millennium . . . .

Basically, you thought that it required using the cloud at all times, found out that you were wrong, and then came up with some way of justifying your argument, no matter how ridiculous it sounds.

ofwMog5.jpg

First they went with DRM on the Xbone and removed it due to backlash and now there's rumors of Windows 9 being a subscription based OS. How long do you think it'll be this time until they realized they went full retard again if the rumors are true?

That is not the reason. It back lashed because Microsoft could not express themselves properly, and the message sent across was not properly understood.

In addition, whether intentional or not (or they knew about it, but underestimated the impact by a huge amount), their system would have blocked used sales copies.

There is no really a used sale market for Windows, so it should not be a problem.

I don't think the subscription model will affect piracy, and I think this is not the reason why Microsoft is offering it. Not because it "it will be hacked day 1", but because for sure OEM licenses won't be subscription based, nor Enterprise versions, and those can be used to make a pirated version of Windows.

Therefor, I doubt it will be exclusive subscription based. And that probably means that the OEM/System Builder version of Windows that most of use buys, won't be.

Ugh subscription fees? Fuck this I'm staying with 7.

It'll most likely just be a buying option, rather than the only way to buy the OS.

Hmm i like this but i don't like this. 

Im not new to subscription based, i use Adobe Creative Cloud so thats $15 AUD/M. Depending on the cost i may go for it, but the license for this PC that i am using cost me $150 NZD for 8.1 so if it costs more than that yearly then im sticking with this one. Also by doing this they would have to think of OEMs. In fact if they did go ahead and do this but allow you to buy it without a subscription on OEM and you still get updates, i would buy the OEM and buy a SSD for this machine....

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

That is not the reason. It back lashed because Microsoft could not express themselves properly, and the message sent across was not properly understood.

In addition, whether intentional or not (or they knew about it, but underestimated the impact by a huge amount), their system would have blocked used sales copies.

The message was sent across quite and clear and properly understood. The customers knew that the DRM gimps the Xbone's console abilities and if wasn't for the backlash they received their sales would be only much worse. In fact Sony used Microsoft's DRM policy against them such as saying that it will allow used sale copies and game lending and steady internet connection is not needed to enjoy offline playing.

Just give me a goddamn discount on upgrading from windows 7 to your next OS, then I will care MS

And I mean 50% off AT LEAST.

Win 8 was sold at a discount the first months, I got mine for something like $30 and that was for a full license.  The upgrade was something like $15 - $20.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I will not buy a subscription based OS. Forget about it Microsoft, you might as well tell me to switch to Linux.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I don't mind subscription based services, but a subscription based OS is just retarded. What if you can't afford another month? Do you just lose all control of your PC?

If windows 9 turns out to be subscription base, it will be the first OS i've ever pirated. I've always seen windows as being reasonably priced, so i've had no issues in paying for them...

Although, if it turns out to be something close to £30/year and you get infinite installs on alot of systems (5-7?), then i'll probably get my cousin to go 50/50 on the subscription, the limited install really annoys me with win7, i'm always having to call MS to get them to reset it... It seriously depends on how well MS can pull a subscription based OS off, they could easily fuck this up and ruin their reputation.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

You mean like the version of Windows, where since XP you need an internet connection to use, else activation will fail after a certain number of days?

What? I've activated dozens of copies of Windows via automated phone system for years. Not one has failed, especially for a one machine that's never been connected for around 8 years now.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Bah follow what Apple have done and make it Free with an easy update process.. or at least 1/4 the price it is now

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't mind subscription based services, but a subscription based OS is just retarded. What if you can't afford another month? Do you just lose all control of your PC?

You pay per year, if you buy the subscription, that is. And it's not been a problem for your electric bill, internet, TV, nor phone so far.

It just add an option to those that cant' cash out the money for a full license of Windows in one shot, and great for those that like to keep Windows updated. Meaning like many of us, like to have the latest version of Windows.

365 is normal office but on subscription, i'm sure you can use it offline all the time you want until the subscriptions expires

You can you use it for 30 days, but then you must connect to the internet, I don't care how long the period is - a year, a decade, a century, a millennium . . . .

My Office 365 subscription expired 5 months ago and I can still use it fully functional, I just get a box when I start the application saying that its expired, then I just close the box and continue on...

It might give you a dialog box that it needs to connect but it won't stop you from being able to use it.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I would rather pay 100 dollars up front and get a license I can use for however long I want, than to pay 10 dollars a year for an OS that they can decide I don't have the right to use anymore.

Imagine if they did this with XP. Oh you don't want to upgrade? Too bad, because we will remotely shut you OS down and force you to upgrade. Don't like something new in our OS (like Metro)? Sorry but you have to get it.

Not to mention the billions of issues with constantly calling home to check if your key is legit (which I assume a subscription based OS would require).

I know people say this a lot, but if Microsoft tries to pull something like this then I will either stick to Windows 7, get a legit copy of the OS and then use a crack for it, or switch to GNU/Linux. There is absolutely no way I will put up with such bullshit.

I would rather pay 100 dollars up front and get a license I can use for however long I want, than to pay 10 dollars a year for an OS that they can decide I don't have the right to use anymore.

Imagine if they did this with XP. Oh you don't want to upgrade? Too bad, because we will remotely shut you OS down and force you to upgrade. Don't like something new in our OS (like Metro)? Sorry but you have to get it.

Not to mention the billions of issues with constantly calling home to check if your key is legit (which I assume a subscription based OS would require).

I know people say this a lot, but if Microsoft tries to pull something like this then I will either stick to Windows 7, get a legit copy of the OS and then use a crack for it, or switch to GNU/Linux. There is absolutely no way I will put up with such bullshit.

Well the rumor is that "Windows 9" will only be called Windows, and that is all. So it will simply force developers to code their stuff properly, and no problem should occur.

Just give me a goddamn discount on upgrading from windows 7 to your next OS, then I will care MS

And I mean 50% off AT LEAST.

I'm not sure if you're purposefully making it sound like upgrading is a complete ripoff or not...

BUT, most new Windows OS's came with a limited time discount for purchasing the upgrade version. You could pick up the Windows 8 upgrade for like $20 for several months after release. The same was true of Windows 7. Though I'm not sure if the discount is available in all regions.

I highly suspect that Windows 9 will also come with a really steep upgrade discount for launch.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Sorta like "sudo apt-get update"? Gotcha MS

"sudo pacman -Syu" too >.>

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2