Microsoft is looking into quick and easy OS update system

GoodBytes

I'm not sure if you're purposefully making it sound like upgrading is a complete ripoff or not...

BUT, most new Windows OS's came with a limited time discount for purchasing the upgrade version. You could pick up the Windows 8 upgrade for like $20 for several months after release. The same was true of Windows 7. Though I'm not sure if the discount is available in all regions.

I highly suspect that Windows 9 will also come with a really steep upgrade discount for launch.

Nope. In NZ it was $120 to upgrade. Over here its cheaper to upgrade your mac OS... 

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

The message was sent across quite and clear and properly understood. The customers knew that the DRM gimps the Xbone's console abilities and if wasn't for the backlash they received their sales would be only much worse. In fact Sony used Microsoft's DRM policy against them such as saying that it will allow used sale copies and game lending and steady internet connection is not needed to enjoy offline playing.

You do realise that Sony had exactly the same DRM on the PS4 until the xbox backlash.  Only difference is Sony went into full reverse and pulled it all before official release then used it as a marketing base to capitalise on.

That's why all PS4s had a compulsory 65Gb update that had to be done before the console was playable, it was to reverse the always on DRM. 

All companies are trying to head in the same direction,  the only difference with windows is that I haven't actually read anywhere that it will be "always on" DRM as opposed to an online activation or subscription based model.

I just can't help but wonder if anyone sees the inconsistency in these forums of late:

People complain because it cost too much to upgrade and they want to have the latest, then this is suggested and people complain they don't want to be forced to upgrade.

People complain that companies like MS aren't giving their customers a choice, then when rumors of options come out everyone bags on them like it should be free.

For all the people who are saying this will cause them to switch to Linux, then why don't you do it now? why wait for the next version of windows? If Linux is a suitable alternative for you now why are you even using windows?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

You do realise that Sony had exactly the same DRM on the PS4 until the xbox backlash.  Only difference is Sony went into full reverse and pulled it all before official release then used it as a marketing base to capitalise on.

That's why all PS4s had a compulsory 65Gb update that had to be done before the console was playable, it was to reverse the always on DRM. 

All companies are trying to head in the same direction,  the only difference with windows is that I haven't actually read anywhere that it will be "always on" DRM as opposed to an online activation or subscription based model.

I just can't help but wonder if anyone sees the inconsistency in these forums of late:

People complain because it cost too much to upgrade and they want to have the latest, then this is suggested and people complain they don't want to be forced to upgrade.

People complain that companies like MS aren't giving their customers a choice, then when rumors of options come out everyone bags on them like it should be free.

For all the people who are saying this will cause them to switch to Linux, then why don't you do it now? why wait for the next version of windows? If Linux is a suitable alternative for you now why are you even using windows?

Yes I know that the PS4 has the same DRM policy only difference was exactly as you said.

If they do this option, it needs to be slightly cheaper to go subscription and they need to have more than one option for it.

Bah follow what Apple have done and make it Free with an easy update process.. or at least 1/4 the price it is now

Not to start a flame war but I don't see how the current update system for windows is not easy.  Also MS don't sell an array of hardware products like apple do, thus they don't have the product profits to offset OS development.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Not to start a flame war but I don't see how the current update system for windows is not easy.  Also MS don't sell an array of hardware products like apple do, thus they don't have the product profits to offset OS development.

I just find updating your OS on OSX as easy as updating an app,

where updating on windows is a pain, it restarts 45 times, it takes ages, it prompts you annoyingly and when time comes to upgrade it is a massive faff

I mean its not THAT bad but I find the way OSX handles os updates and installs MUCH easier, even their recovery process is fantastic

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

where updating on windows is a pain, it restarts 45 times, it takes ages, it prompts you annoyingly and when time comes to upgrade it is a massive faff

I mean its not THAT bad but I find the way OSX handles os updates and installs MUCH easier, even their recovery process is fantastic

I have auto updates enabled,  I have only had a couple of instances in the last 2 years where the pc has had to restart on me during boot in order to apply updates.  I guess it might be that I turn my pc off every night so I don't encounter the forced reboot as much.

TIL ages = 20 minutes

Considering the huge percentage of every Win OS' updates that outright break stuff, this is very very scary and ugly-sounding. Still can't use my fucking wireless controller on Windows 8.1

>_________>

The faster Microsoft can become irrelevant the better.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

TIL ages = 20 minutes

huh?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Paying for an operating system in 2014 is bad enough. A subscription cost is even worse. How about Microsoft drops the cost altogether and then provide services on top of the base operating system to businesses and the like to make their money.

They won't because no company can take a 25% hit to their revenue without making drastic (and usually unpopular) changes

Microsoft-Customer-Segments.jpg

They won't because no company can take a 25% hit to their revenue without making drastic (and usually unpopular) changes

Microsoft-Customer-Segments.jpg

While true, I believe "Windows" also includes Windows Server and other embedded Windows OSes like on Point-Of-Sale terminals. Microsoft makes a crap ton more from Windows Server licenses than from regular consumer Windows licenses. For example, one license of Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter edition costs $6,155. The standard edition costs $882, and that's just per physical server.

I bet if they made consumer Windows free, it would be a small part of that 25%.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

While true, I believe "Windows" also includes Windows Server and other embedded Windows OSes like on Point-Of-Sale terminals. Microsoft makes a crap ton more from Windows Server licenses than from regular consumer Windows licenses. For example, one license of Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter edition costs $6,155. The standard edition costs $882, and that's just per physical server.

I bet if they made consumer Windows free, it would be a small part of that 25%.

Servers come under servers and tools, point of sales systems are predominantly XP so they are part of the 25%. When business finally upgrade these, MS will get a sudden boost in windows sales (assuming of course the obvious happens).

MS makes about 80% (give or take) of it's total revenue from corporate/business sales. This would equate to about 17% being from domestic/consumer sales for windows/office and 13% from devices and entertainment.

Eww, I don't want windows to be subscription based!  I will literally switch to Linux if Windows becomes completely subscription based.

Not upgrading unless it's FREE.

we can be open source master race lol

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB