[Kotaku] Bungie's 'Destiny' costs $500 million to make

TopWargamer

Source: http://kotaku.com/destiny-might-be-the-most-expensive-game-ever-made-1572352284?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

CEO Bobby Kotick has revealed that Activision is spending $500 million to try and make Destiny a hit. That's half a billion dollars, which is very likely more money than has ever been spent on a video game before. Dang.

To put some perspective on this, the money being spent on Destiny is more than twice the amount EA reportedly spent on Star Wars: The Old Republic and a little less than double the $265,000,000 Rockstar paid to get GTA V made. The Reuters article cites analysts saying that Destiny will have to sell 15-16 million copies at $60 to break even. So, the final game has to make a very, very good first impression.

Jeez, and I thought GTA 5 costed a lot to make! Activision must have a lot of faith in Bungie to be pouring $500 million into this project. I believe that it's taking this much money to make the game, because Bungie is developing 'Destiny' for four systems, they have a huge staff (300+ people), the game should be huge with loads of content, and of course there's the multiplayer aspect of the game. I mean, I hope 'Destiny' sells well and all, but from what I've seen, I'm not too impressed. I'll wait until I can play the beta before calling final judgment though. 

qoa1srr9m7qoywr2apvj.gif

COMIC SANS

5...hundred....MILLION?!?! and they didn't even bother a PC port?!?!?! BULLSH*T!!!!!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Yet they still laid off their music producer. Asshats.

They may have spent $500 million, but do they have 500 million dollar talent anymore? Time will tell *spooky voice*

qoa1srr9m7qoywr2apvj.gif

Why are those guys riding humanized Dark Eldar Reaver Jetbikes?

P3140014.jpg

;)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

and a fully featured space sim costs a lot less

were they burning 100$ bills for heat ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I spent a good 10 minutes looking at the website and it didn't tell me anything about the genre of game. It looks similar to an MMO, but not so much when you look further. Also i never saw any mention of PC support. Just 4 consoles (for the beta anyway).

Looks very similar to a mass effect/halo style game. The website looks fancy enough, but none of the game really looks like anything new.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

5...hundred....MILLION?!?! and they didn't even bother a PC port?!?!?! BULLSH*T!!!!!

Bungie has no need or desire to make games for PC. That's coming directly from my brother who works at Bungie. I know they did originally, but their focus since Halo has only been consoles and will continue to only be consoles. Also, Activision spending $500 million on making Destiny successful does not mean they handed Bungie a check for that much. You have to remember that a nearly identical amount of money is spent on advertising and distribution, as is spent on development. They same goes for movies, that's why a movie has to make double it's budget just to break even.

That $500 million also accounts for DLC development and supporting the game servers as this will be a centrally hosted game. I messaged Slick with the info about trying to get someone from Bungie to do a Q&A for the game, but he has not yet got back to me about it. 

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Maybe they plan to turn it into an annual churnout with plenty of DLC and recoup the money over a few years without making many substantial changes to the core game.

Sound familiar?

They didn't spend $500 million just on development. They spent $500 million for the total budget. That means development, marketing, packaging, advertising, distribution, etc. and any other costs associated with bringing it to market.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Well...they're gonna be disappointed when they don't make that back...

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Well...they're gonna be disappointed when they don't make that back...

Or they will try to milk it to death in order to at least get some of that money back...

Anyways I've seen modders and indie devs that aren't getting paid make better stuff than what major companies that have 500 million dollars to throw around can. *cough* MERP, Lays of Althas, There and Back Again, etc. *cough*

and a fully featured space sim costs a lot less

were they burning 100$ bills for heat ?

^

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

It's still disappointing for me that they haven't worked on a PC version, but I'll be getting a PlayStation 4 at some point anyway so shall just have to enjoy the game on that.

Really looking forward to Destiny. It just seems like such an epic game.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Actually I'm pretty sure this news gaurantees a PC version eventually.  No way they will reach their goals profit wise with that cost.

Actually I'm pretty sure this news gaurantees a PC version eventually.  No way they will reach their goals profit wise with that cost.

Nope, read my post. Bungie has no intentions of making any PC games of any kind. That is the number one question Bungie employees get asked and they all hate it. There is no quicker way to piss them off than to ask about a PC version that will never happen.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

There just gonna gamble with their money. Either they make a huge profit or lose it all and become history.

The previous Halo titles became profitable almost instantaneously in-spite of being locked to a single console. It's quite likely that Destiny will become profitable quickly when it's being sold on 4 times as many platforms.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Sadly... CoD is still pretty popular thanks to the morons that frequent consoles so even if Destiny was a steaming pile it would still get all the love and attention from these people.

I seriously wonder if they worked out that they can plug an Xbox Controller into a PC for the same effect... with much better graphics and cheaper games.

That $500 million also accounts for DLC development and supporting the game servers as this will be a centrally hosted game. I messaged Slick with the info about trying to get someone from Bungie to do a Q&A for the game, but he has not yet got back to me about it. 

Plus all marketing. That might easily be 100-150 million $ right there.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro