[Kotaku] Bungie's 'Destiny' costs $500 million to make

TopWargamer

500 million? 

Sorry Bungie, but the Halo ship sailed. Anything you make going forward will not reach Masterchief levels of dolla dolla bills. Get over yourselves on that front. You are not dethroning GTA, COD, Halo, WoW or anything else that actually rakes in money like that. 

Also, 500 million? 

tumblr_inline_mn0n5blXmT1qz4rgp.gif

Did you contract this game out to the US Department of Defence and ask them to waste as much as humanely possible? 

O mighty GabeN...please give Star Citizen the strength to smite this unworthy pretender... 

Completely different genre, SC is FPS and Destiny is an MMO.

Nope, read my post. Bungie has no intentions of making any PC games of any kind. That is the number one question Bungie employees get asked and they all hate it. There is no quicker way to piss them off than to ask about a PC version that will never happen.

why, is the directors board pissed or what, i mean, fine don't put on PC but give a LEGITIMATE reason for it, also there's the rumor most of bungie are MMO fans, that has to mean something

500 million? 

Sorry Bungie, but the Halo ship sailed. Anything you make going forward will not reach Masterchief levels of dolla dolla bills. Get over yourselves on that front. You are not dethroning GTA, COD, Halo, WoW or anything else that actually rakes in money like that. 

Also, 500 million? 

-snip-

Did you contract this game out to the US Department of Defence and ask them to waste as much as humanely possible? 

bungie has stated halo is the best thing they have ever made, also activision is putting the money, and we don't know what goes to what, for all we could know, development itself could be less than 100M$ and everything else on marketing, we don't know all the facts

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

why, is the directors board pissed or what, i mean, fine don't put on PC but give a LEGITIMATE reason for it, also there's the rumor most of bungie are MMO fans, that has to mean something

bungie has stated halo is the best thing they have ever made, also activision is putting the money, and we don't know what goes to what, for all we could know, development itself could be less than 100M$ and everything else on marketing, we don't know all the facts

Well, let me replace Bungie with Activision. 

400 million on marketing is...a bold approach. But, Activision is free to blow their cash how they wish. 

If the 500 million number is bonafide, they need to sell 8.5 million or so copies of this game at full pop to break even, much less bank that profit. GTA could do that. COD could do that. Halo could even do that. But a brand new IP that isn't being drilled into our minds and has had a disturbing lack of marketing and hype so far to the mass market? Yea....

I'm definitely getting this for PS4. If and when this comes out for PC, and if it turns out to be good, and it had better be for $500,000,000, I'll get it for PC too :3

Actually I'm pretty sure this news gaurantees a PC version eventually.  No way they will reach their goals profit wise with that cost.

They never dismissed a PC version. They just said that as of right now there won't be one, because they already have their studio split up into multiple teams to make 4 versions of the game. 

"I wish it was that simple. It's pretty complicated. That doesn't mean it can't happen in the future, it just means it won't happen right now."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-28-bungie-explains-why-theres-still-no-pc-version-of-destiny

There's still hope. 

COMIC SANS

Eh, they probably will AT LEAST break even. Halo 3 gave Bungie $170 million profit within the first 24 hours alone.

(http://articles.latimes.com/2007/sep/27/business/fi-halo27)

Grant it, that was Halo 3. This is something new, but Bungie is a huge, well known, and a very successful game studio. They've yet to produce a bad game (in my opinion). I think they will hold true to that, because they've always pumped out quality games, and I hope that the cycle won't break this time around.

Again, this is new turf though, so we shall see.

COMIC SANS

They may have spent $500 million, but do they have 500 million dollar talent anymore? Time will tell *spooky voice*

Why are those guys riding humanized Dark Eldar Reaver Jetbikes?

;)

Bungie's Scifi has always been HEAVILY inspired by every other franchise, much like all of the 'babbies first scifi' franchises

Actually I'm pretty sure this news gaurantees a PC version eventually.  No way they will reach their goals profit wise with that cost.

Its no argument that a PC version should be made however its not guaranteed because much of their tools will be tailored to the funky AMD cores, and getting more intertwined with each optimization. 

Well, let me replace Bungie with Activision. 

400 million on marketing is...a bold approach. But, Activision is free to blow their cash how they wish. 

If the 500 million number is bonafide, they need to sell 8.5 million or so copies of this game at full pop to break even, much less bank that profit. GTA could do that. COD could do that. Halo could even do that. But a brand new IP that isn't being drilled into our minds and has had a disturbing lack of marketing and hype so far to the mass market? Yea....

this is something i agree with, activision is putting all their horses into this, and for a september release, it does lack marketing, but i'm sure they don't have the expectation of going after gta or their own cod, in terms of pure sales at launch, it would be plain dumb, maybe they are aiming for long term, high sale expectation, kinda like half-life 1, at launch i didn't break records but it sold way better that everything after the launch window, also ubisoft made this move with assassins creed, it costed a lot, their best guys were on it, and it was a brand new IP, it became the fastest selling new ip, and i think not other game has broken that record

my problem is with activision, IMO they are worst that EA, they pull cod, and blizzard is with them (meaning tons of money from PC) but outside of those 2, all their games are shit (except for deadpool, that one was ok), and bungie is one of the best studios out there, this combo has always gave me problems, since the rumors it though bungie was fucking insane, i just want something good to come out of it, even if it means the wait game for PC :(

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

this is something i agree with, activision is putting all their horses into this, and for a september release, it does lack marketing, but i'm sure they don't have the expectation of going after gta or their own cod, in terms of pure sales at launch, it would be plain dumb, maybe they are aiming for long term, high sale expectation, kinda like half-life 1, at launch i didn't break records but it sold way better that everything after the launch window, also ubisoft made this move with assassins creed, it costed a lot, their best guys were on it, and it was a brand new IP, it became the fastest selling new ip, and i think not other game has broken that record

my problem is with activision, IMO they are worst that EA, they pull cod, and blizzard is with them (meaning tons of money from PC) but outside of those 2, all their games are shit (except for deadpool, that one was ok), and bungie is one of the best studios out there, this combo has always gave me problems, since the rumors it though bungie was fucking insane, i just want something good to come out of it, even if it means the wait game for PC :(

Eh, brah! Don't you be dissing mah Transformers games, bee-otch! You ain't got the touch to do that.

War_for_Cybertron.jpg Transformers,_Fall_of_Cybertron_PC_box_a

High Moon Studios made both the Aligned timeline Transformer games and the Deadpool videogame. They were also forced to make a movie tie-in for Dark of the Moon. Also, apparently they made Darkwatch. Unfortunately, they won't be a part of Rise of the Dark Spark which is a weird sequel to Fall of Cybertron and follow's Michael Bay's Transformer series. Yeah, weird.

As for $500 million for Destiny...

joker-burning-money-in-tdk.jpg

I don't know. Just felt like putting this pic here.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Eh, brah! Don't you be dissing mah Transformers games, bee-otch! You ain't got the touch to do that.

-snip-

High Moon Studios made both the Aligned timeline Transformer games and the Deadpool videogame. They were also forced to make a movie tie-in for Dark of the Moon. Also, apparently they made Darkwatch. Unfortunately, they won't be a part of Rise of the Dark Spark which is a weird sequel to Fall of Cybertron and follow's Michael Bay's Transformer series. Yeah, weird.

As for $500 million for Destiny...

-so true-

I don't know. Just felt like putting this pic here.

well i cannot comment on the transformers game but all their other is true, is either true shit or there's a much better game on the same genre to even bother 

Then how the hell is Star Citizen being made with 40M?

Little marketing? Activision markets stuff more than any other video game company. Hell, just look at CoD, so much marketing that includes high profile artists, like Eminem, and actors like Sam Worthington. They're hiring Kevin Spacey and have hired other currently working Hollywood actors! That's giant compared to hiring Kevin Conroy for Batman or even Mark Hamill for The Joker or The Watcher in Darksiders.

Compare this to what Nintendo, Sony, or hell, even EA and Ubisoft do with their games. Kojima Productions only had to spent so much on MGSV because of them spending so much time developing an engine along with hiring Kiefer Sutherland and product branding - there's MGSV themed Puma stuff. Konami's not as big as EA, Epic Games, Square Enix, or perhaps Crytek, when it comes to being able to make an ambitious game engine like Frostbite 3, CryEngine 3, or Unreal Engine 4 - UE3 was used by tons of developers so it profited a lot.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Then how the hell is Star Citizen being made with 40M?

To add to what Hidden Orange said, bigger budget means more people working on the title at the same time so the game can potentially be released a hell of a lot faster than Star Citizen

-------

Current Rig

-------

I applaud them for being willing to take a risk, but.... what.. what are they spending this money on?

Star citizen has around 200 people working on it across all the studios. It was mentioned in one of the monthly updates I think. Big companies spend a lot of the money on huge marketing departments as well as other management crap that has nothing to do with actually creating the game. That's why their budgets are stupid huge and SC can get away with 40-50 mil budget.

I'm thinking this game will be a failure when it is released. That is way too much money to spend on a game. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I'm pretty sure that most of that money have been spent on marketing... Which... I don't know, I don't personally like it. The best way to tell people about how good your game is isn't by showing them "HERE'S OUR GAME, IT'S NICE. YA? GO BUY IT" or something with ads on the TV/Web.

Word of mouth is the cheapest, and best way to sell a game. In my opinion. However, sales numbers wont be as big so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also PC is da master race console gaming is way more popular and it brings in much more money than games on PC.

99 million development.

400 million marketing.

Rest pizza.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

How can you spend 500 Million USDs on making a game which will be graphically shit?...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

maybe if they had a pc version they might have a chance at breaking even

I don't even see why devs don't put out a PC release, missing out on the largest part of the gaming market just to cap the games potential for consoles only.

Intel Core i7 930 // GIGABYTE X58-UD7 rev1 // Corsair Dominator 3x4GB // GPU MSI 7870 // Fractal Design R4 // 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro 1TB Samsung SpinPoint 3TB Seagate Barracuda  // Corsair 1000W // Dell 2713H // Vortex Poker II Ducky DK9008 // Logitech G400s // SteelSeries Qck+ DotA 2 Edition // Swan D1080-IV Audioengine A5+ Audioengine S8 // ASUS Xonar Essence STX - Albums http://imgur.com/a/wkJSM#2 // http://imgur.com/a/V2idF#0

I don't even see why devs don't put out a PC release, missing out on the largest part of the gaming market just to cap the games potential for consoles only.

You've got a lot more variety with the PC side. Its takes more recourses to develop the game on a PC than it dose on all the consoles.

Even after you release the game its a lot of resources fixing any bugs that pop up. Keeping it to fixed ecosystems means you can manage it more.

PC maybe better looking but it doesn't make it as easy as the consoles.