Pumped Up Kicks - Forget treadmills, Google patents VR sneakers

rcmaehl

Source:
Arstechnica

Summary:
Google is working on fully immersive VR, looking to replace the current "treadmill" designs with shoes that move in the opposite direction of your movement.

Media:

9-1-1440x1079.jpg

Quotes/Excerpts:

If virtual reality is ever going to become the immersive, holodeck-style platform that we all dream of, someone is going to have to figure out locomotion. So far, we've seen a few solutions that take aim at VR's "limited space" problem. On the simpler side of the spectrum, one option has you stick a motion tracker in your pants and jog in place. On the more complicated end, there's the "VR treadmill" solution, which has you strap into a big plastic platform that keeps you in place with slippery footwear and a waist harness. Neither option is quite the same as natural walking, but a new patent from Google puts forth an interesting idea: what about motorized VR shoes? What are essentially motorized VR roller skates. Google's new kicks will let you walk "seemingly endlessly in the virtual environment" Google's patent shows normal wheels, tracks, and even omnidirectional mecanum wheels as possible wheels for the VR shoe bottoms. Omnidirectional wheels would be great, as they would allow you to do things like sidestep, while still having your position corrected by the shoes. We're still curious if Google can do this without the user falling over. Walking around in VR, where you are blind to the real world, is already a strange sensation that can mess with your balance. All the VR treadmills out there have a rigid waist support. That said, if Google gets everything right, strapping on a pair of compact VR shoes sounds a lot easier than having to store a giant treadmill somewhere.

My Thoughts:

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I mean with enough immersion it may work, but I have a feeling this will just make VR slip-ups like the video below even worse as you fly across the room in your VR rollerskates.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

aren't "treadmills on shoes".... basically roller skates? o_O

Card games on motorcycles actually... er I mean yes but no

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

aren't "treadmills on shoes".... basically roller skates? o_O

Difference being you have to manual move your foot for each step vs one step = like 1 yard/meter/foot, etc. 

Can't say this will catch on, need to have lighter fewer equipment for VR, not more. 

6 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Can't say this will catch on, need to have lighter fewer equipment for VR, not more. 

Yes... but solving movement in VR is one of the most difficult tasks. I dont see any way to solve it without aditional tools.

10 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes... but solving movement in VR is one of the most difficult tasks. I dont see any way to solve it without aditional tools.

Use an omnidirectional treadmill, then no need to put on shoes. Why put on extra pair of shoes when you can just walk on?

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Only good solution is to be suspended by the waist above an ice rink. Enough suspension to not fall over but still touch the ground. I mean I don't know what these other guys are doing fooling around with moving floors or shoes when the best way to do it is with a frictionless surface. 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Use an omnidirectional treadmill, then no need to put on shoes. Why put on extra pair of shoes when you can just walk on?

because everyone has a space for an omnidirectional threadmill

For a split second I thought my toes would be looking into googles. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

17 minutes ago, WereCat said:

because everyone has a space for an omnidirectional threadmill

To be fair, if you don't have the space you won't be going anywhere with the shoes either lol

9 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

To be fair, if you don't have the space you won't be going anywhere with the shoes either lol

Once you stop playing the VR, the treadmill stays.

You can put shoes away to free up the space easily.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I guess the solution is to wear really slippery shoes because that is essentially what this is but overengineered. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

I guess the solution is to wear really slippery shoes because that is essentially what this is but overengineered. 

Socks and waxed wood/linoleum floor

1 minute ago, rcmaehl said:

Socks and waxed wood/linoleum floor

I think we just solved the space for VR issue. Just need to be suspended to make sure you don't fall over and break the headset while it's still on. 

is it going to be like SAO?

i mean like it take a abridged production team to fix it?

14 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Well if you live in a hole that can't accomodate a treadmill should your priority really be VR?

50 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Well if you live in a hole that can't accomodate a treadmill should your priority really be VR?

You can still live in a nice place and not have room for a treadmill. Treadmills are very large and take up lots of room. 

57 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Sigh...

This is my VR space. Its plenty for VR. 

I definitely wouldnt want treadmill in there. 

Im not saying the Google sneakers are a great idea as well though, its something at least. 

IMG_20181120_200618.thumb.jpg.f52176c56b94d2043853ba67f6a3aeb3.jpg

You need to realize that there are MANY people with the same or less amount of space. Treadmill is not a solution if VR should be sold to masses. 

12 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

You can still live in a nice place and not have room for a treadmill. Treadmills are very large and take up lots of room. 

Some small places are nice but still small! Treadmills vary a lot in size and i'm more thinking like something in that VR movie that was released not too long ago. Neither the treadmills nor the sneakers have been released yet. 

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Sigh...

This is my VR space. Its plenty for VR. 

I definitely wouldnt want treadmill in there. 

Im not saying the Google sneakers are a great idea as well though, its something at least. 

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20181120_200618.thumb.jpg.f52176c56b94d2043853ba67f6a3aeb3.jpg

You need to realize that there are MANY people with the same or less amount of space. Treadmill is not a solution if VR should be sold to masses. 

You're going to be moving around in the sneakers as well with just as much space. Many people might have that much space, in which case they shouldn't focus on something as expensive as VR. 

8 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

You're going to be moving around in the sneakers as well with just as much space. Many people might have that much space, in which case they shouldn't focus on something as expensive as VR. 

You are missing the point.

OFC I will be moving in that space. But once I wont, I can put the sneakers away...easily... and I have the space now available for stuff.

14 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Some small places are nice but still small! Treadmills vary a lot in size and i'm more thinking like something in that VR movie that was released not too long ago. Neither the treadmills nor the sneakers have been released yet. 

Most of the prototype VR treadmills are gigantic, not something anyone would want to put in their homes. Your basicly looking at a dedicated room just for VR. I don't think that is something most VR people have. 

Most setups work because the VR space is basically empty space that would normally be empty because people walk in that space like a living room between the TV and the sofa. Or my VR space for example has two office chairs in it. Because I have it setup in my office. When I play VR I roll the chairs out of the way, and put them back when I am done. I works perfectly fine for me. However if I was to get a treadmill and put it in my VR space that woudn't work because I couldn't put my office back and use that room for an office. Or walk around my office because I have a giant treadmill in the way.

I'm not optimistic about these shoes. Where is google glass? I'd prefer they patent it, and then release it to everyone to use. The patent only really existing to prevent patent trolling. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Anyone else immediately think of this?

?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530