Even Apple doesn't care about the iPhone Xs...

nicklmg
2 hours ago, Qwertious said:

Worse resale value ✅

IPhone second hand market will still maintain a better resale value regardless if they release a i7 iPhone or some shit.

Genius bar people yes they are not tech savy as always and experiences may differ. We got good consumer law in Australia so for us the genius bar does what it does well. All I need to do is tell them my issue then they fix it. I have yet to have a experience with a useless genius bar member before.

Protection vs no protection? Almost most phones are now made with glass backs  but yeah apple has does have some retarded pricing with replacements and it is up to the user if they would rather go naked or go with a case. It's no one's fault that a user wants a thick and heavy case, it's all on themselves.

Not Apples fault people want to buy what they can’t afford. Useless argument

Also not Apples fault users want to upgrade after a couple of years. Are you telling them to stop improving devices so people will use their own device longer? Also useless argument

Dildo jack also yea that’s only cause judgemental people like you will probably give other users shit about it. But I do also understand 3.5mm jack debate and for lots of people I know that isn’t an issue and for a handful yes that’s why there are other alternatives.

Doubt it, no one wants your old tech if that was to happen, think of it would you really spend $800 on a phone that has no i7 and no 1080 Ti vs a phone that does for lets say $2000? While nearly impossible now, phones will get there. But if one company does the leap and makes it affordable your brand new $1200 device might retain its value to those who value Apple as a whole and not some fancy status unit...

Yea that is Australia a small place that Apple can afford to be polite. Come to Canada or USA for the true Apple experience, unless you are a hardcore fanboy then you'll turn a blind eye regardless...

I have a case on my phones (every single one) but unlike many iPhone cases I've seen they are simple rubber/silicon based ones only 2mm thick at most...

It's not Apples fault you're right, but it's also their fault for not making a suitable middle man version or last years model for less. The biggest players on the issue of it are actually media outlets like LMG who only ever review top tier phones, and nothing realistic for the average consumer...

No not useless argument, reality is phones become garbage after 2 years, if the mechanics don't fail the battery will, Apple has proven this BS threw deliberate software updates and code. It's also one reason why I don't like internal batteries, it turns a possible long term device to a limited use unless you spend $100 for a $20 part. The making a phone thinner is more a marketing ploy and BS than anything else, same with IP ratings which most phones will survive a heavy rainfall as long as it's not out for too long.... My Stylos are not IP anything, both have been in heavy rain and deep cold weather, guess what? nothing bad... ?

I don't give people grief over such a thing, but equally I've yet to see someone use it either(maybe because it genuinely looks like a dildo plugging into your phones butt). If you want a headphone jack and a iPhone then that's the only way for a new device. However after looking at the dongles Apple stores page the 1 star reviews are proof enough you are the 1% who like it. Plus I like the jack on the phone because if I use my Bluetooth till it dies I have the option for the jack as well. which is only 1 cable, with the iPhone I now worry about a dongle to put in that could also destroy my charging abilities too. So no even tho it's out dated it is still needed, plus having one doesn't mean the phone can't be water proof either.

Edit:

2 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Did someone say Beats by Dre?...And wait didn't Apple buy them too? It's too perfect.

To be fair, I think Iovine and Dre were very clever in their marketing of Beats and I think that's why many enthusiasts don't like their products. They always had more of a focus on marketing than audio quality, regardless of what the founders say. Credit where credit is due however and they made a hugely recognisable brand in a relatively short amount of time.

All them movie placements ?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

iPhone 4 - new design

iPhone 4S - same design, improved

iPhone 5 - new design

iPhone 5s - same design, improved

iPhone 6 - new design

iPhone 6S - same design, improved

The iPhone 7 is where things went down hill. I'm not saying that the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 8 shouldn't have existed, but the iPhone 8 should have been at least called iPhone 7s

And I agree with Linus that there should have been a iPhone X Max last year.

1 hour ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

and also means youtube and Netflix only servers you 720p by default

As far as I know, the recent iPhones with 326PPI panels can upscale to 1080p

I could be wrong though 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

33 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

As far as I know, the recent iPhones with 326PPI panels can upscale to 1080p

I could be wrong though 

remember you are still paying 750$ in 2018 for an upscaled 1080p experience. if LG or samsung gave you a 720p screen with even 600$ in 2018, would you accept it ? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

3 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

remember you are still paying 750$ in 2018 for an upscaled 1080p experience. if LG or samsung gave you a 720p screen with even 600$ in 2018, would you accept it ? 

well, its slightly higher than 720p display

its 828p display, its not even 900p, but its not 720p

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

well, its slightly higher than 720p display

its 828p display, its not even 900p, but its not 720p

my point still stands. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I'm starting to notice a trend here with phones the Chinese brands, like Honor etc. are producing better all round phones than the likes of Samsung and Apple nowadays

2 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Not defending them, just saying that the newer iPhones could be upscaling.

Still think it should’ve been 1080p

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

15 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Buy other smartphones on Amazon: http://geni.us/kWoAyhB

Buy iPhones: http://geni.us/mCKuEkH

You’re right Linus, I agree with everything you said and i’m an iPhone user for many years! But one thing you forget! JAILBREAK!! It become really easy to do..

and fix a lot of the issues you detailed in this video.

Here’s an idea for a video! I would love to see you jailbreak an iPhone X, install the most common tweaks and make a review with your opinion.. I heard you’re gonna do something similar with an android phone (don’t remember which but a review non stock) arguing that it’s Something that doesn’t take hours to do, many users could do it easily and it change meaningfully the experience.. 

1 hour ago, Antoine51100 said:

You’re right Linus, I agree with everything you said and i’m an iPhone user for many years! But one thing you forget! JAILBREAK!! It become really easy to do..

and fix a lot of the issues you detailed in this video.

the only issue is that you pay 1000-1500$ for a device to just jailbreak. you loose warranty, and you risk bricking the device.

why not pay 500$ for a device and then put a custom ROM on it?

or 300$ and put a custom Rom on it.

the final issue with jailbreaks or  custom Roms is the general population will never ever do any of that, period.

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

the only issue is that you pay 1000-1500$ for a device to just jailbreak. you loose warranty, and you risk bricking the device.

why not pay 500$ for a device and then put a custom ROM on it?

or 300$ and put a custom Rom on it.

the final issue with jailbreaks or  custom Roms is the general population will never ever do any of that, period.

Since when jailbreaking make you loose warranty? Or brick your device ? Please use valid points or don’t reply.. This is totally wrong!

where you are right is that jailbreak need to do more to be easier for consumers 

it doesn’t mean that my observation isn’t correct and could make a nice video!

if linus sees the point on android why not do the same on iOS if it changes the user experience 

13 minutes ago, Antoine51100 said:

Since when jailbreaking make you loose warranty? Or brick your device ? Please use valid points or don’t reply.. This is totally wrong!

where you are right is that jailbreak need to do more to be easier for consumers

Jailbreaking does in fact void your warranty in most jurisdictions.

Apple doesn't officially support it and has usually patched up exploit holes used for jailbreaking.

You're probably asking too much out of the average user when it comes to jailbreaking.

7 minutes ago, Antoine51100 said:

if linus sees the point on android why not do the same on iOS if it changes the user experience 

actually, as far as i know. Linus sees this as a point on old devices, but not new ones. he specifically noted that the Note 9`s issues are easily fixed with a custom ROM or jailbreak, but should you really do that on a 2-3 year old 1000$ device? (if i recall correctly he was more in line with how Samsung really doesn update their phones)

9 minutes ago, Antoine51100 said:

Since when jailbreaking make you loose warranty?

well, last time i checked changing the specification or running non manufactorer OS or BIOS grants the loss of warranty. i could be wrong on that front, so please enlighten us.

11 minutes ago, Antoine51100 said:

Or brick your device ?

you may brick you device, yes. its unlikely and it probably wont happen, but it can happen. 

12 minutes ago, Antoine51100 said:

doesnt help when certain companies like Huawei have taken steps to make that impossible or even harder to do. and doing so makes the device inoperable. 

14 minutes ago, Antoine51100 said:

Or brick your device ?

i believe my points were quite valid when talking about a 1000$ device. im not saying noone should do it, far from it, but it is inherrent risk and labour noone should do when paying 800$ or more for their device. especially 1-2 years after purchase 

i am probably going to do a custom Rom on my phone in about 2 years time if the OS doesnt serve me well. 

16 hours ago, darwin006 said:

I am just not sure if its possible to make a phone that Linus seems to indicate that he is looking for.

I thought it was obvious from that video that the Note 9 is as close as it gets for him.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 minute ago, Lathlaer said:

I thought it was obvious from that video that the Note 9 is as close as it gets for him.

isnt it pretty much the Note 9 with the software team of Apple to keep it up to date?

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

isnt it pretty much the Note 9 with the software team of Apple to keep it up to date?

And with a notch. As for the rest of the differences, you'd have to ask him that, I can't remember all the comparisons to Samsung he did in this video to draw the conclusion that Galaxy Note 9 is better.

I remember him saying that it wouldn't be fair to other phones to compare to Note because of its price but with the Xs the gloves come off since Apple put $1000+ price on it.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Linus went full unboxtherapy for this one. Basically making a clickbait title and clickbait content.

I dont even know how much he actually likes the phone since all he tried to do was to rant about every single thing while ignoring all the hardware despite being a computer hardware specialized YT channel.

I am also truly baffled with the fact that the video seems to ignore the existence of s9+ which existed 6 months before, a phone that is 90+% similar to note 9.

R.I.P. LINUS

Rene Ritchie holds back 0 punches in this. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, abazigal said:

This video perfectly summarizes why Linus has thrown away his journalistic integrity for clicks. Linus knows extremely well that most of the shit he said was wrong if not misleading. He'll never own up to it, though.

2 hours ago, abazigal said:

What about the dual SIMs? Doesn't Linus' XS support dual SIMs albeit one being an eSIM and the other being physical? Why isn't that mentioned in Linus' video? 

Woah this thread has taken a heel turn now, I'll check out the video linked but I still enjoyed the video, I didn't take it as a review of the iPhone X but more of a look at Apple's position within the industry as a whole. If there's incorrect stats or misinformation in the video then that's not good and someone from LMG should address it. They usually do.

If I'm looking for phone reviews, MKBHD is usually one of my go to channels.

At this point LTT “reviews” are just performance art to see how youtube stats react. Please don’t take them at face value. 

I think he’s actually a big sucker for iPhone and apple watch in real life (plenty of evidence in other videos), because, of course he is. But that sweet sweet 15yo angry nerd street cred...actually they all are subconsciously encouraged to be “dumb” about anything Apple...can’t count how many times they said really jaw droppingly dumb stuff during WAN shows...and of course Linus needs his hands on the lastest GPUs but god forbid he keeps his personal family iphone hardware updated...he’s like always a couple of versions behind so he can be complain-y about it...typical pre-mobile_revolution-nerd bias...mobiles ain’t real stuff (I like that “Samsung software support sucks” was like an off hand no biggie comment in the review) and tablets barely exist...granted, all the way to the bank...so, good for him. Sad for all the corrupted young minds, but hopefully they’ll go past their “apple sux” phase growing up...

6 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

If I'm looking for phone reviews, MKBHD is usually one of my go to channels.

I just go to Michael Fisher 

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

R.I.P. LINUS

Rene Ritchie holds back 0 punches in this. 

Yea, but he was wrong about a few things too...

Who would NEED a new phone every year? Well maybe Linus the Drop Tips Guy, but beyond that? No one... Only reason people should is if it is required due to being in the tech industry (like phone sales etc).

Comparing floppy discs to SD cards? Even if you compare them to how easy you can loose them a SD card is more like the $15USB drive you had holding 512mb/1/2GB back in high school.

Then claiming gobs of space on phones? 64GB is a joke if you want to move media over to your device... Therefore you are forced to buy the 256 or 512 storage and pay at least $210 more and over $100 more than the cost of a 256GB card.

I'm in no way defending Linus, in fact if he wants to continue the way he is analyzing phones and only keep handing out recommendations to Sammy Notes or iPhone X/8, he should just stop doing phone reviews out right because there is a clear bias towards them and has no regards to those who actually want to see a proper review of a mid range phone and not some BS paid one with obvious (and acceptable for price) flaws ignored.... Or even a actual proper review of said phones, best ways of getting unbiased reviews is literally letting others use the phones too and let them write up a review and do a video based on the participants. Somewhat like what car magazines do with cars.

Beyond that, I liked his video more than this topics one... (why doesn't the edit checkbox stay displayed... ugh)

Edited by Egg-Roll
I can't type today.