Even Apple doesn't care about the iPhone Xs...

nicklmg
On 10/18/2018 at 12:35 AM, LinusTech said:

I don't see the contradictions here.

I never said the Xs Max is too small. And the only reason I said it's too big is the SOFTWARE. With a back gesture/button that can be comfortably accessed, it would be fine.

I hate the iPhone, and the thicker bezels look very last gen. I've been consistent about this across multiple devices.

The Pixel 3's big forehead and chin DO make it look old.

I am not a notch fan.

The Note 9 has thin bezels, stereo sound, a headphone jack, and no notch.

Honestly Linus,... i never went to the forums to comment on a video. This is the first time.

I love it. 

You nailed what bothers me on about all other Reviews.

Straight out talking about those little things that made me leave Apple 3 years ago. 

Please do this for all the reviews. I don't need someone to hate on apple for me, don't get me wrong, but i want to see reviews that don't droll all over marketing slides, without even using the phone. Keep this up and let us know how a phone really works when being USED. 

Best phone review in years. Really loved it.

8 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I do agree but the problem is the iPhone Xs has 64 as a base. Anything with 64GB or less should have a SD card in it. 128GB is enough that one shouldn't ever have a issue with running out of space (and I mean ever).

I'm still confused as to why Apple even kept the 64GB in their phones this time... They can't compare to the S9 in any way for that front since it has expandable memory.

Equally I don't understand why it also only has 4GB ram when it should have at least 6... (I understand it is a fine tuned machine but 6GB ram is a must imo)

64 gb is fine for some users. Seems the main argument against is that buying an iPhone with more storage costs more money. It's not as though the option to get a 256gb or 512gb model isn't there should you so desire.

That said, I do understand why Apple chooses not to have a sd-card slot in their devices. 

First off, it undercuts their design philosophy. Apple is about minimalism and purity in hardware design. Perfect products are made by cutting out everything not absolutely required in the design. To them, it's about creating products that are cut down to their absolute most basic form, with nothing standing between the user and the device. The products aren't about having the most features, or being the "most useful"; they're about distilling out the purest mixture of form and function possible. And Apple's design philosophy, whether or not you agree with it, has totally reshaped the phone and computer industries over the past five years, because it works.

Apple believes that it's better to have a high capacity, monolithic phone than one with an extra "feature" that many people don't care about, or even need. Sure, there are many users who want it. There are even some people who need to be able to swap out media. But Apple doesn't care about that. If they listened to what people wanted, we wouldn't have the iPhone, iPad, or anything else like them on the market. No one wanted an iPad when it was announced, until they started using them. For the people that do truly need removable media for whatever reason, Apple really doesn't care about them. It's sort of a niche feature, and time and time again, Apple has proved that they don't care about niche features or markets (See: 17" MBP, XServe, Mac Pro, iPod Classic, or other useful products that Apple has either discontinued or left for dead.)

Think about how many people you know who really need removable memory. Most people just stick a 32 GB MicroSD card in their phones and forget about it. Apple would rather you just buy a 32 GB phone. It's more straightforward, and admittedly they do make more money. (People try to make it about Apple grabbing money everywhere they can; this isn't really the case, but money is always a bonus...) Having no removable media is less complicated for the end user, and helps simplify and perfect the design of the phone overall.

Note 9 has two big fat chins.

The point of the iPhone X/XS design language is having perfectly identical borders on all 4 sides, and this is obtained thru a patented method. Linus missing this gives me pause. 

The original really chin-less phone is said to have “thicker bezels”, lol..

11 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The same reason as the Pixel 3? Pushing cloud storage? 

4GB is alright for iOS. 6GB would've been nice but I've never heard of anyone complain about performance for the past few years minus #Batterygate

Cloud storage for the average Canadian is a joke due to bandwidth costs and in some places speed, it is quickly changing but if I alone consume 300-400GB a month w/o cloud what could it be then?

Maybe next year we will see 6GB, more is better after all :) Esp since everyone seems to be pushing phone gaming again now...

9 hours ago, abazigal said:

I can’t speak for them, I can only speak for myself and my experience with Apple’s customer support has been fairly positive up till now. I have had three issues - a 2011 iMac with screen problems, an iPhone 6s+ with a dead motherboard, and an Apple Watch with chipping problems over the years. Apple replaced them all right off the bat. 

As for costing more, I find that my Apple products have more than paid for themselves in the form of fewer problems and greater productivity overall. So for me at least, they are far from being overpriced for the utility they afford me. 

I realise all this is anecdotal, but there is a genuine reason why so many of us are ardent Apple users year after year. It’s not because we are sheep, unless you count being loyal to a great user experience as being a sheep, then yeah, call me one and I will proudly wear that badge with pride. 

If you never had to pay for the parts then great, else w/o the right to repair option (either going to any store to repair or at home) you wouldn't know if you got ripped off and that's how Apple likes it. Tho their world is quickly crashing down lol.

I like their professional line of computers, that said I don't do that kind of work on my computer really... So buying a computer for 1200 that can't exactly do what I really want it to is a waste of money. (I won't ever buy a laptop from them).

It's called brand loyalty, a sheep is a follower someone who sees something and because that person has it they must have it. Some sheep do grow up to be brand loyal via good experiences etc, but most will just follow and follow and follow... I'm brand loyal to LG Thermaltake and a few others, but like all loyalists I can quickly change if too many bad things happen, a good example is ASUS and Samsung for me.

2 hours ago, abazigal said:

64 gb is fine for some users. Seems the main argument against is that buying an iPhone with more storage costs more money. It's not as though the option to get a 256gb or 512gb model isn't there should you so desire.
Apple believes that it's better to have a high capacity

That's not the problem really, the problem remains at the cost structure... To buy a iPhone Xs with 128GB capabilities should not cost more than the Note 9, or at least not $150 more. Think of it if you spent that $150 in a SD card you would have 128GB+256GB, the Apple tax is unreal for the space alone.

Yet only offer 64GB like a $500 phone? See the problem?

3 hours ago, abazigal said:

Think about how many people you know who really need removable memory. Most people just stick a 32 GB MicroSD card in their phones and forget about it. Apple would rather you just buy a 32 GB phone. It's more straightforward, and admittedly they do make more money. (People try to make it about Apple grabbing money everywhere they can; this isn't really the case, but money is always a bonus...) Having no removable media is less complicated for the end user, and helps simplify and perfect the design of the phone overall.

A lot actually... Unless it has 128GB+ I would never suggest someone to buy a phone w/o expand ability. My phone has 32 internal and 32 external (right now) I have about 5-6GB left in total, so If I was to buy the iPhone Xs with 64GB it would technically already be dated to my space requirements.

Having non-removable media actually complicates things more, esp when you want fast and easy hot swapping. Can your non removable phone allow you in 30 seconds switch out up to 128GB of data because you are bored of whats on the previous 128GB? Nope... Not only is that not possible on 2 models because one doesn't even go that high it would take a whole lot longer than 30 seconds to do that swap.

I do like their design, but for me and a lot of people I know the no SD card or at least 128GB as a base is a huge turn off (but then they can't screw you over $150 more for the $30 difference now can they?). You say they people try to make it look like they are trying to grab money, yet you have video proof they are actually doing exactly that. Try watching the court part of the video... Dumb Lawyer vs a Canadian... Just remember Lawyers are liars, very good and well paid ones, but this one seems to be stupid lol...

11 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Tbh accusing anyone with a differing opinion a "die hard hater" is kinda flame bait, just IMO.

I didn't accuse anyone. This is what I always get whenever I post anything pro Apple.

That aside the notch is as open for criticism as anything else, I didn't take Linus' video as a review either, more as their personal take on Apple's offering compared to other flagship phones. I'd still take the LTT video over some extremely biased pro-Apple youtuber that only makes Apple videos who is nitpicking over what is mostly an opinion video.

The notch houses a bunch of sensors, so it's a necessary evil. It's not really a coincidence that FaceID is the most secure facial recognition implementation on smartphone compared to others who just mostly rely on the camera. So no, it's a dumb criticisms and is necessary for one of the most important features on the iPhone

Usually Linus's phone reviews are pretty good. But this one was just him ranting about his grievances with iOS (like who even uses T9 when there's spotlight, and when Linus is a known fast typer -- it's just old habits that he would get used to in like a month after using an iPhone continuously IMO)

And sure the Xs isn't a huge change from X but literally no one, not even Apple expects people to upgrade from X. It's an refinement of the iPhone X with better speakers, dual SIM, better camera, faster FaceID, better battery, performance, etc half of which Linus didn't even mention anything about (not like this a huge change, but most phone upgrades this year were exactly that, plus copycat notch designs)

But mooooom I’m AGAINST the notch :(

(said no person ever in the real world)

lol

“Personal take” that sounds like it’s working in bullet points from a Samsung review guide..

”Not only Apple isn’t leading bla bla bla”, who reviews like that? That’s a bullet point from Samsung and/or pandering for street cred to the pseudo-nerd audience...

6 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

”Not only Apple isn’t leading bla bla bla”, who reviews like that?

You clearly have not meet Linus yet...

Just so you know a lot of people hate the notch (like me) including iPhone users (mostly sheep who keep buying it because someone else has it so they must). One day the notch will disappear and all will be happy, till then...

16 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

You clearly have not meet Linus yet...

Just so you know a lot of people hate the notch (like me) including iPhone users (mostly sheep who keep buying it because someone else has it so they must). One day the notch will disappear and all will be happy, till then...

In your particular case the notch “hatred” (not sure that’s the word that should be used, a bit strong) may be genuine, but to be honest what I observed is that the notch is despised

- as a superficial first impression and gut reaction, then a couple of weeks later they go “I can barely tell it’s there now”

- as a balancing act for liking an apple products (that’s a thing...tech pundits do that all the time...including at LMG..)

- as a prejudice “they changed what I’m used to” mentality

etc.

And I’m talking online, not IRL. 

IRL, honestly it doesn’t even register, nobody would say “sorry, thanks but no thanks, f the notch!” if gifted a X/Xs, maybe I’m not in the right circles.

Making a big deal of the notch in late 2018 is a bit out of touch...like other puzzling

complaints he made in the review...

Me personally, I just gawk at the IR laser projector and miniaturized Kinect they worked into that notch..after 10yrs of big chin + big forehead, it isn’t that bad in comparison..

What's with the music.... 

Thought I was watching a conspiracy video or some shit 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

9 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

IRL, honestly it doesn’t even register, nobody would say “sorry, thanks but no thanks, f the notch!” if gifted a X/Xs, maybe I’m not in the right circles.

Making a big deal of the notch in late 2018 is a bit out of touch...like other puzzling

complaints he made in the review...

Me personally, I just gawk at the IR laser projector and miniaturized Kinect they worked into that notch..after 10yrs of big chin + big forehead, it isn’t that bad in comparison..

Actually if someone gifted me a iPhone I'd give it back to them lol... Not because of the device it self or the price, but because of Apple the company.

The notch is still questionable by many I understand it, but I don't mind the "chin/forehead" as you put it. Like I said one day the notch will disappear and so will the chins and foreheads of the phones, the question is when. A few years ago we had few figure print sensors now we have at least 1 phone with it under the screen and almost standard on every phone over $400 except Sammy for some reason...

40 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Actually if someone gifted me a iPhone I'd give it back to them lol... Not because of the device it self or the price, but because of Apple the company.

The notch is still questionable by many I understand it, but I don't mind the "chin/forehead" as you put it. Like I said one day the notch will disappear and so will the chins and foreheads of the phones, the question is when. A few years ago we had few figure print sensors now we have at least 1 phone with it under the screen and almost standard on every phone over $400 except Sammy for some reason...

I see.

I have my OCD pet peeves too, luckily for me the notch isn’t one of them. (I’m far more concerned about the ergonomics of these borderless phones, and in this I may agree with some of Linus’ points)

I say “luckily” because I feel the notch is here to stay for like 10yrs, until we have a display tech that can become fully transparent for a split second at will, so one could hide a number of cameras below the screen. Actually even partially transparent could do the job, using 2 or more points of view, merging them and then using real time machine-learning powered ISP to cancel out the obstructions...

9 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

(like who even uses T9 when there's spotlight

I do. 

Having relatable numbers by just dialing a portion of the phone number is super useful. 

I've been very used to it at this point 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I do. 

Having relatable numbers by just dialing a portion of the phone number is super useful. 

This makes me wonder how many people like yourself even bother memorising phone numbers these days. I know I don’t. 

13 minutes ago, abazigal said:

This makes me wonder how many people like yourself even bother memorising phone numbers these days. I know I don’t. 

I don't memorize the complete phone number XD

I also use speed dialing 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Watching the WAN show right now.

Jews are all smart

All Blacks love chicken

All Asians are good at math

and iPhones are IMMEDIATELY (immediately I tell ya!) understood by old moms

sorry Luke, had to do it

Let’s see if in the upcoming “10 reasons to buy an iPhone” video they manage to go past the usual stereotypes...say, ios12 Shortcuts. Say, Continuity. Say, the freakin Watch. And so on. 

20 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

There's one thing I don't get.

Linus mentioned that Apple isn't really leading in terms of design trends, but also a relatively slow follower in wider industry trends.

Yeah, I can sorta see that with the latter (they were kinda slow to adopt 1/2.55" sensors) but the former? Um, have you seen Android?

Motorola-P30.jpg

lg-g7-thinq-leak-black_ml.jpg

160171.jpg

"Lead" and "copying". Everyone *copies* a Rolex and makes fakes. Why? Because Rolex are the best, or because they are expensive and so selling a fake = high markup.

All those phones "copy" the exact design of the iPhone, as suppose to be inspired by.

Other companies were inspired by previous models. Now they just copy to get the accidental sales/purchases.

Also, the notch is not necessarily the problem. It's that 99% of phones/apps (including Apples ones) don't use it right. It should be blanked to the App/OS and used only for notifications/icons.

7 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

and iPhones are IMMEDIATELY (immediately I tell ya!) understood by old moms

I actually thought that was a really accurate point, I always recommend iPhones to those older than me and those who just want a phone that works. They are much more user-friendly especially for those that aren't familiar with a lot of technology. 

2 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I actually thought that was a really accurate point, I always recommend iPhones to those older than me and those who just want a phone that works. They are much more user-friendly especially for those that aren't familiar with a lot of technology. 

Not saying it isn’t accurate. It’s super accurate.

It also may paint iPhones completely wrong if it’s the only thing that’s constantly mentioned as a sort of balancing act..

(I was going to go on with the racial analogy to examplify this but it went to nasty places) 

4 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I do. 

But don't you think you can easily get used to spotlight search (there really isn't a proper android equivalent). Just swipe down from home screen and type the name.

SInce you have it as an option in Android, you use and you're used to it. That's fine. But for Linus it will be hard because he constantly keeps moving back and forth from iOS to android, and I'm pretty sure if if he sticks to iOS long enough he'd get used to spotlight as a replacement from T9. What irks me is that he isn't able to realize this himself.

14 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Because Rolex are the best

They are not... They are the best known brand to have knockoffs. Two different things... I don't think there is a actual watch company you can use as a proper comparison along side to Apples design being copied.

Apples designs are really nice (less the notch), so others bank on it by copying the general design, however in order to properly compare phone makers to watch counterfeiters, the phone makers would have to advertise their phones as Apple products. How many do? The fakers a lot but the name brands? None.

It's like saying all vehicle manufactures from the 80's and 90's stole each other's cars because they all looked the same, almost...

23 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

But don't you think you can easily get used to spotlight search (there really isn't a proper android equivalent). Just swipe down from home screen and type the name.

SInce you have it as an option in Android, you use and you're used to it. That's fine. But for Linus it will be hard because he constantly keeps moving back and forth from iOS to android, and I'm pretty sure if if he sticks to iOS long enough he'd get used to spotlight as a replacement from T9. What irks me is that he isn't able to realize this himself.

The issue is that if you're used to T9, speed dialing or such, going to an entirely different method, especially one that is perceived to be slower, is not easy.

I've always used speed dialing on my Note8 as of late because I've always found it to be much faster compared to T9, searching the contacts and even the edge shortcuts 

18 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

This.

We have instantaneous universal system wide search.

We have predictive smart suggestions that are getting smarter every year.

We have voice commands that can understand whispers.

And by “we” I mean phone industry as a whole and where it’s headed.

And people still mentioning T9?

Can’t remember the last time I actually opened the phone book app...as you said, Spotlight is the go to interface for everything...even opening apps (this also brings me to the blank app spaces complaint..)...I wouldn’t go as far to say that every average Joe out there is power using Spotlight (some definitely are) but average Joe probably also isn’t stubbornly into old timey T9 and doesn’t need to be that fast anyway..

18 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

Note 9 has two big fat chins.

large.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Man those 2 chins (or better forehead+chin) are hard to watch once one is used to the tidiness and timeless balance of the 4 identical-width borders of an iPhone..

maxresdefault.jpg

even the Oppo Find X has a hint of chin 

maxresdefault.jpg

this is probably a matter of taste but can’t just be downplayed by saying “iPhone has thicker bezels”...

1 hour ago, saltycaramel said:

Not saying it isn’t accurate. It’s super accurate.

It also may paint iPhones completely wrong if it’s the only thing that’s constantly mentioned as a sort of balancing act..

(I was going to go on with the racial analogy to examplify this but it went to nasty places) 

Okay, I understand you now. Just because a product is easy to learn, (especially for those who aren't good with technology), it doesn't mean people like us who are more capable with technology won't enjoy using them. I get what you mean and I agree, it's easy to learn but it's not simple or boring.