American Tariff on Chinese products.

DVA
20 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

@DVA, I changed your title to better reflect the nature of your discussion.

Just to note for accuracy; Trump did not place the tariff on China, Congress did and President Trump signed off on it.

Also lets remember that political discussion is not allowed so lets stay on topic or comments and replies will removed or this thread could be locked.

Do you have a source for that? Everything I've read has said that it was the Trump administration that has levied the tariffs.

4 minutes ago, Inelastic said:

Do you have a source for that? Everything I've read has said that it was the Trump administration that has levied the tariffs.

oof?

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

I buy most of my parts used, so I likely won't notice a difference.

I do wonder how long they'll be in place though. I could see the next administration axing them. At least, one can only hope.

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

I think it is a good idea to protect domestic industry from foreign companies. I remember that Chinas cheap photovoltaic systems totally destroyed our German photovoltaic companies to the point where there isn´t a company left. Our companies were leading until the market was flooded with cheap products

Cheap doesn't always mean low quality. While yes, there are low quality products that come out of China, there are also many extremely high quality products as well. Most companies producing lower quality stuff are actually looking to countries like the Philippines, as China is becoming too expensive to produce in.

1 hour ago, ThePD said:

I second this opinion as I work in manufacturing in the US. China has been known to purposely devalue its currency to be more competitive in production costs with other countries.

That still doesn't make US labor cheaper. Simple fact is the US can't compete when it comes to cost. There was a manufacturing company that Trump visited, which had agreed to stay in the US, with great fanfair. In an interview after, the CEO said that while they were staying, 90% of the workforce would be laid off in favor of automation. Manufacturing isn't a smart field to be in, unless you're highly skilled in multiple components of it.

1 hour ago, DVA said:

Extremely true! As to where if you search for the American dollar, is has been steadily rising for a while, with some dips of course. It wouldn't be a market without fluctuation. 

I hope chaos doesn't ensue as prices continue to fluctuate up and down. 

I also hope China will start to better their own country rather than relying on mass selling to others. Though that won't be any time soon....

You make it sound like they're not. While yes, China definitely has issues, they've advanced extremely quickly over the past 50 years. Growing pains are to be expected, especially since things like global warming are relatively new. China is the farthest in terms of fission power, it's the leading country in the production of renewable energy, they've stopped accepting recyclables to help clean up their environmental impact, and they will have very strict fuel consumption requirements going from 2020 forward. China will, within the next 50 years, become the world super power.

The main reason the US is afraid of China is their China 2025 initiative. I'm pretty sure abandoning it was also something Trump had as one of his wants in any kind of tariff agreement.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, DVA said:

the president is only a figure head but hey

No, he's not. We're not like Europe and Japan.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Its opposite in benefiting the American people.

Prior to taxes, how did things pay for themselves?  Tariffs (and a couple other items)  Technically this should work in our favor - because once the Tariffs are imposed the selling Country has to pay a ton to sell here, direct to our Government.  Prior to 1913, this kept us from paying income tax (basically, do your own research Im time bound atm) and we had more expendable income due to no taxation to spend on these items so the increase in the cost of goods incoming from other countries was VASTLY offset by you having more money in your pocket.

Difference here?  Governments keeping the monies on Tariffs, which is driving costs, while not level loading the taxes (because why would they do that.)

That's not how tariffs work.  China doesn't pay the tariff, the US company importing pays to bring the product in.  So for example, a case manufacturer would have to pay to bring chinese aluminum into the country.  The rise in costs from the tariffs are from US companies increasing what they charge to cover the cost of the tariff.  This can make domestically produced aluminum seem more favorably priced compared to a chinese import.

I haven't noticed any real increase in prices, but I buy most of my stuff on ebay anyways lol.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

3 hours ago, EPENEX said:

I haven't noticed prices rise.

They were just recently finalized/imposed on electronics. There is a time gap between when they are announced and when they are enacted/take effect.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, lewdicrous said:

Ask CaseLabs

...who was already having trouble long before the tariffs went in effect and shut down before the tariffs had taken effect.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

11 hours ago, Worstcaster said:

That's not how tariffs work.  China doesn't pay the tariff, the US company importing pays to bring the product in.  So for example, a case manufacturer would have to pay to bring chinese aluminum into the country.  The rise in costs from the tariffs are from US companies increasing what they charge to cover the cost of the tariff.  This can make domestically produced aluminum seem more favorably priced compared to a chinese import.

We can agree to disagree - the behind the table deals struck means China (and Countries like them) pays to get its items into our Country to offset the cost to the company in the US to still be profitable - its a lot more political, and much more complicated than you, or I, could begin to discuss on this post.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

On 10/3/2018 at 2:24 PM, DVA said:

So...how do you guys feel the tariff on Chinese products is going?

Affects no one but one country in the world.

But other actions he's taking, is very disturbing. Just gotta wait this one out!

Markets will come out kicking and screaming, making up for lost time..... once normality arrives!

19 hours ago, Tristerin said:

We can agree to disagree - the behind the table deals struck means China (and Countries like them) pays to get its items into our Country to offset the cost to the company in the US to still be profitable - its a lot more political, and much more complicated than you, or I, could begin to discuss on this post.

there is no agree to disagree if there is a fact presented like the guy replying to you did.

the tariffs are paid by the buyer not the seller so either way it will become more expensive for the american companies that want to buy for example aluminium, either they buy from china and pay the tariff on top of the usual price or they buy domestically which is also more expensive than buying from china was previously.

9 hours ago, Canada EH said:

But other actions he's taking, is very disturbing

Not really. Those actions are long overdue.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

there is no agree to disagree if there is a fact presented like the guy replying to you did.

the tariffs are paid by the buyer not the seller so either way it will become more expensive for the american companies that want to buy for example aluminium, either they buy from china and pay the tariff on top of the usual price or they buy domestically which is also more expensive than buying from china was previously.

You need to do more research on 1913, the Federal Reserve, Tariffs and the impact of them (how they paid for...everything) and the backdoor deals that happened.  I bet you are a subject matter expert on this specific subject eh?  Ill bet not.  Not that I am a SME - but I do my research.  Research the tariff changes, income tax legislation to replace etc. 

If I could go back in time, for dinner with one man to find out whats up, it would be President Woodrow Wilson, so I could assassinate him.  :)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

35 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

You need to do more research on 1913, the Federal Reserve, Tariffs and the impact of them (how they paid for...everything) and the backdoor deals that happened.  I bet you are a subject matter expert on this specific subject eh?  Ill bet not.  Not that I am a SME - but I do my research.  Research the tariff changes, income tax legislation to replace etc. 

If I could go back in time, for dinner with one man to find out whats up, it would be President Woodrow Wilson, so I could assassinate him.  :)

I'll get Oscar Underwood.

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro

43 minutes ago, FadedCrown said:

I'll get Oscar Underwood.

Someone who knows the "Underwood Tariff Act".

Love it!  Sounds good brother.

On 10/3/2018 at 4:32 PM, Inelastic said:

On 10/3/2018 at 4:37 PM, iLostMyXbox21 said:

oof?

Anything that has to do with tariffs must be approved and legislated by Congress. The president can suggest and help introduce bills but Congress is the legislative body not the president all of this is outlined in the Constitution.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 10/4/2018 at 11:02 PM, Canada EH said:

Affects no one but one country in the world.

But other actions he's taking, is very disturbing. Just gotta wait this one out!

Markets will come out kicking and screaming, making up for lost time..... once normality arrives!

The stock market is at record highs and the Dow is up almost 10,000 points since Nov 2016. 

What is normality and how would the market "make up for lost time"?

Tariffs 101:

tariffs are collected from the importer, not the exporter. This means the American businesses and in turn, American consumers are paying for the tariffs, not Chinese.

All Donald Trump has been doing lately is cutting income taxes on the wealthy and slapping taxes on the everyday items that used to cheap thanks to made in china but now getting expensive. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

7 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Anything that has to do with tariffs must be approved and legislated by Congress. The president can suggest and help introduce bills but Congress is the legislative body not the president all of this is outlined in the Constitution.

The president can make an executive order to place tariffs which bypasses Congress for the reasons of national security. That's exactly what President Trump did with these tariffs. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/11/politics/senate-trump-tariff-vote/index.html

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/08/591744195/trump-expected-to-formally-order-tariffs-on-steel-aluminum-imports

6 hours ago, Inelastic said:

The president can make an executive order to place tariffs which bypasses Congress for the reasons of national security. That's exactly what President Trump did with these tariffs. 

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/08/591744195/trump-expected-to-formally-order-tariffs-on-steel-aluminum-imports

Trump called Europeans and Canadian steels as matter of national security. Total horseshit on that. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 minutes ago, wasab said:

Trump called Europeans and Canadian steels as matter of national security. Total horseshit on that. 

How's that?

6 hours ago, Inelastic said:

True but the order is only temporary and expires unless congress approves enforcing a long term tariff and that requires legislative action.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER