American Tariff on Chinese products.

DVA

So...how do you guys feel the tariff on Chinese products is going?

I personally have noticed a lot of prices going up in price lately and going out of stock. 

The main things I have noticed that have slightly risen or are constantly going out of stock:

-CPU's

-GPU's

-Cases

I don't think I've paid much attention to other hardware but I know Trump put the tariff on China which puts the average price up due to recouping losses and trying to stabilize prices with other countries. 

What are your guys' thoughts on tihs?

Personally I bring this up because I just built my PC, I left it on PCpartpicker. One as the prices I purchased them for, and one as the current prices. The current prices already surpassed my purchased by over $100

Edited by SansVarnic

1 minute ago, DVA said:

Personally I bring this up because I just built my PC, I left it on PCpartpicker. One as the prices I purchased them for, and one as the current prices. The current prices already surpassed my purchased by over $100

Well did you specifically buy your parts with MIR's or that were on sale at the time? That could also be a major reason the price is now higher

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I can't help but wonder how much of the price increases I have seen are due to the tariffs and how much is due manufacturers and/or vendors using them as an excuse to jack up the prices even further.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Well did you specifically buy your parts with MIR's or that were on sale at the time? That could also be a major reason the price is now higher

A few were on sale, sure. But there are always sales going on. MIR's included. 

I see currently the i7 8700k  is $400+ and the one on Amazon sold out (priced $380)

The 1080ti I own was going for $689 when I was looking and now it seems to be $800 at the lowest (new) and over $1k new on Amazon. 

Unless this is just simply due to the 2000 series not being so well so the 10 series cards are massively being bought out?

I know there's people straight-up avoiding the 2080 and 2080 Ti and just getting the 1080 Tis for cheap, so that could be part of it.

I doubt a lot of it is down to the tariffs, and it likely won't be on the desktop scene for a decent bit of time.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I can't help but wonder how much of the price increases I have seen are due to the tariffs and how much is due manufacturers and/or vendors using them as an excuse to jack up the prices even further.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, DVA said:

A few were on sale, sure. But there are always sales going on. MIR's included. 

I see currently the i7 8700k  is $400+ and the one on Amazon sold out (priced $380)

The 1080ti I own was going for $689 when I was looking and now it seems to be $800 at the lowest (new) and over $1k new on Amazon. 

Unless this is just simply due to the 2000 series not being so well so the 10 series cards are massively being bought out?

i7 8700K does seem to have gone up a bit.

I bought mine for $300 from Microcenter about two months ago. It's up to $330 now.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

3 minutes ago, DVA said:

Thats probably due to intels 14mm shortage. I don't think intel even has a cpu fab in china.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I know there's people straight-up avoiding the 2080 and 2080 Ti and just getting the 1080 Tis for cheap, so that could be part of it.

I doubt a lot of it is down to the tariffs, and it likely won't be on the desktop scene for a decent bit of time.

Prices for 1080ti's are now just as high, and in some cases higher than the 2080. I think some people are freaking out somewhere and buying a lot of stock.

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I actually watched this video last night so it made me want to post this to have a discussion within the community here. 

thanks for linking it. 

people in the US when a component is 5% more expensive

fijYhTE.jpg

me seeing a 2080Ti sell for $4000

15fkab.jpg

every component is like 250% more expensive than in the US and goin up ?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Honestly, I think tariffs are doing little to the PC component business and companies are likely using it as a scapegoat to rise prices. The only exception here I believe would be case builders due to the tariffs on steel/aluminum.

3 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

i7 8700K does seem to have gone up a bit.

I bought mine for $300 from Microcenter about two months ago. It's up to $330 now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#s=13

Though PcPartPicker isn't the end all of sources for component prices. It is pretty good. An i7 8700k for $330 is still a great deal if you can find that. 

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

fijYhTE.jpg

15fkab.jpg

for 4k?? WHAT? Where do you live lol

1 minute ago, aezakmi said:

Me seeing spongebob screenshots as reactions

Image result for spongebob finger guns

9 minutes ago, DVA said:

So...how do you guys feel the China tariff is going?

I think it is a good idea to protect domestic industry from foreign companies. I remember that Chinas cheap photovoltaic systems totally destroyed our German photovoltaic companies to the point where there isn´t a company left. Our companies were leading until the market was flooded with cheap products

14 minutes ago, DVA said:

So...how do you guys feel the China tariff is going?

I personally have noticed a lot of prices going up in price lately and going out of stock. 

The main things I have noticed that have slightly risen or are constantly going out of stock:

-CPU's

-GPU's

-Cases

I don't think I've paid much attention to other hardware but I know Trump put the tariff on China which puts the average price up due to recouping losses and trying to stabilize prices with other countries. 

What are your guys' thoughts on tihs?

Its opposite in benefiting the American people.

Prior to taxes, how did things pay for themselves?  Tariffs (and a couple other items)  Technically this should work in our favor - because once the Tariffs are imposed the selling Country has to pay a ton to sell here, direct to our Government.  Prior to 1913, this kept us from paying income tax (basically, do your own research Im time bound atm) and we had more expendable income due to no taxation to spend on these items so the increase in the cost of goods incoming from other countries was VASTLY offset by you having more money in your pocket.

Difference here?  Governments keeping the monies on Tariffs, which is driving costs, while not level loading the taxes (because why would they do that.)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

I think it is a good idea to protect domestic industry from foreign companies. I remember that Chinas cheap photovoltaic systems totally destroyed our German photovoltaic companies to the point where there isn´t a company left. Our companies were leading until the market was flooded with cheap products

I second this opinion as I work in manufacturing in the US. China has been known to purposely devalue its currency to be more competitive in production costs with other countries.

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

I have felt the "cheap" Chinese products were a bit infiltrating on the American market, not to mention the environment and future betterment of the world..

Maybe some restriction is good. Even if we do have to pay a higher price for a better product that isn't MASSIVELY produced to the extent of China's level. 

Just now, DVA said:

I have felt the "cheap" Chinese products were a bit infiltrating on the American market, not to mention the environment and future betterment of the world..

The environmental part I think is key. China has far less regulation when it comes to pollution in its mining/power/manufacturing industries. Some places in China are so devastating to the environment that they had a river clog with dead fish as a result of the pollution within the rivers from the industrial runoff.

American companies even under the Trump administration are held to a higher standard which can increase costs as they are required to put in environmental safeguards.

On 10/3/2018 at 3:42 PM, ThePD said:

I second this opinion as I work in manufacturing in the US. China has been known to purposely devalue its currency to be more competitive in production costs with other countries.

Extremely true! As to where if you search for the American dollar, is has been steadily rising for a while, with some dips of course. It wouldn't be a market without fluctuation. 

I hope chaos doesn't ensue as prices continue to fluctuate up and down. 

I also hope China will start to better their own country rather than relying on mass selling to others. Though that won't be any time soon....

I still want to know where this guy lives that has people selling 2080ti's for 4k :o

3 minutes ago, DVA said:

I still want to know where this guy lives that has people selling 2080ti's for 4k :o

I would love to know how much a 2080ti costs in Venezuela... being that their money is worth less than gold from World of Warcraft, and that was months ago....

1 minute ago, ThePD said:

I would love to know how much a 2080ti costs in Venezuela... being that their money is worth less than gold from World of Warcraft, and that was months ago....

So the whole Venezuelan farmer memes were real?

Regarding to the fact that people have very successful jobs selling gold/money from multiple MMO's

4 minutes ago, DVA said:

So the whole Venezuelan farmer memes were real?

Regarding to the fact that people have very successful jobs selling gold/money from multiple MMO's

Yes. People playing World of Warcraft were able to spend 1 hour farming gold, and could sell it for 15-20 Euro's depending on which server you were on. The exchange rate basically made them millionaires in a hour, but being a millionaire in Venezuela just meant you could afford maybe 1 Hershey chocolate bar. The price right now is 'fixed' as venezuela dropped of 4 significant digits from their currency.

1 minute ago, ThePD said:

Yes. People playing World of Warcraft were able to spend 1 hour farming gold, and could sell it for 15-20 Euro's depending on which server you were on. The exchange rate basically made them millionaires in a hour, but being a millionaire in Venezuela just meant you could afford maybe 1 Hershey chocolate bar. The price right now is 'fixed' as venezuela dropped of 4 significant digits from their currency.

That is rough... I couldn't imagine. Welp, I suppose we are off topic now. Oh well, thanks for the chat.

@DVA, I changed your title to better reflect the nature of your discussion.

Just to note for accuracy; Trump did not place the tariff on China, Congress did and President Trump signed off on it.

Also lets remember that political discussion is not allowed so lets stay on topic or comments and replies will removed or this thread could be locked.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

@DVA, I changed your title to better reflect the nature of your discussion.

Just to note for accuracy; Trump did not place the tariff on China, Congress did and President Trump signed off on it.

Also lets remember that political discussion is not allowed so lets stay on topic or comments and replies will removed or this thread could be locked.

gotcha. 

i know, the president is only a figure head but hey, this is what it's nationally and internationally known as. 

I had not known about the non-political rule, but thank you for informing about it now.