No Notch On Future iPhones!

Crab Puncher

Since Apple released the iPhone X last year the notch has been a point of controversy. But, "the notch on the latest iPhone models could be a temporary solution for Apple." Now that's more like it. I personally never upgraded to an iPhone X so I have no first hand experience on the notch, but a lot of my family and friends have made the switch. They, like everyone else, would have preferred a phone with no notch but most of them never even noticed it after the first couple of weeks. If apple does go 'notchless' then they could do this by housing all the camera and sensors behind the screen. This technology could be implemented in a similar way to the in screen fingerprint scanners. But the downside is that it would have to be an OLED screen to work.

What are your Thoughts. 

Largan Precision is developing a new technology which will hide the camera lens with a black coating

Source: WCCFTECH

I fail to see how covering a camera with a black coating will remove a notch. Unless they're covering it with the OLED panel itself, the notch will have to remain there.

I like when people buy a 2k Apple phone and the only thing they worry about is the notch. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

15 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

I fail to see how covering a camera with a black coating will remove a notch. Unless they're covering it with the OLED panel itself, the notch will have to remain there.

That's probably what Apple is looking into, trying to fit the camera behind the panel... which will be very interesting, especially to see how various Android phone makers implement their own version of it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Couple of things:

WCCFTech. Enough said, really. 

And making the camera black won't make the camera invisible. 

Spoiler

The-Black-Dot-Experiment-945x544.jpg

You can still see a black dot. 

:)

Get rid of the selfie camera and the million sensors needed for Face ID. This is not sarcasm.

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

So.. they come into MY HOUSE and drink ALL MY SAUCES, then they leave as if nothing happens?

Spoiler

So much for being innovative.

19 minutes ago, I-r0k said:

I like when people buy a 2k Apple phone and the only thing they worry about is the notch.

What's even better is people worrying about the notch when they're not even buying the product.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

13 minutes ago, v0id said:

Get rid of the selfie camera and the million sensors needed for Face ID. This is not sarcasm.

+121313131

Why is not removing selfie camera courage? If they only left proximity and light sensor there that would be awesome. They would be able to make all screen phone and say to isheep that they were first to make all screen phones :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

25 minutes ago, v0id said:

if the back camera was also removed i'd be happy

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

58 minutes ago, Crab Puncher said:

hide the camera lens with a black coating

I don’t think so. Remember that it’s not just the selfie camera to be the reason for the notch but the entire Face ID system. 

apple-iphonex-true-depth-camera.png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

@Crab Puncher your topic does not meet the requirements for posting in this section.

Please review the Posting Guidelines and update accordingly;

Thank you.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

31 minutes ago, v0id said:

The target audience of expensive flagship smartphones obviously isn't you, from this post. Granted, it's not my cup of tea either, but the average person uses the front camera quite a bit. Just because you don't like a feature doesn't mean the majority of the customer base doesn't.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Not the greatest reading comprehension here.

This doesn't mean eliminating the notch -- it just means disguising the camera lens so that it's not as obvious.  You'll still have the notch, it'll just look relatively seamless.

2 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

What's even better is people worrying about the notch when they're not even buying the product.

Well the problem is that it became a trend in a lot of phones. For me its not a problem for 2 reasons:

1 - I dont mind the notch that much

2 - Most phones with notches are flagships, and I will never buy an Iphone or any flagship.

But I understand people getting annoyed if a stupid feature is shoved down their throats.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

Apple have been super shady with the way they've used that black wallpaper in their marketing, it just shows that they won't admit, but they don't like the notch either. Super self-conscience if you ask me.

... This is more of a case of WCCFTech striking again!

Thank god! I thought it was super misleading how they used the black wallpapers that conveniently didn't feature the hideous notch. You couldn't tell me that Apple of all companies doesn't have a workaround right now for a notch, with the likes of Oppo already having solutions with the Find X, albeit with a lot of corners cut.

WTF is a notch? My Galaxy S7 just has a border above the screen where everything is placed. Don't see why people want to get rid of that so desperately. 

Great phone, had for almost 2 years now and will probably last a few more.

Manufacturers should just remove the front facing camera rather than trying to hide it.

My solution would be to have an OLED screen on the back of the phone that only turns on when you enter selfie mode or are in a video call.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, OnyxArmos said:

What about taking selfies? :(

Got you covered, fam

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

My solution would be to have an OLED screen on the back of the phone that only turns on when you enter selfie mode or are in a video call.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

So.. they come into MY HOUSE and drink ALL MY SAUCES, then they leave as if nothing happens?

The sauce will never die...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Hmmm: I think that this notch elimination might prove interesting for the competition: It will be among the first times where not copying Apple immediately puts you ahead of the copycats.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just have the camera and stuff there but don't make it a notch, or remove it all together and put a mirror on the back like they did with older phones. It's really not hard.