Playstation gives into the Fortnite Crossplay drama and opens its doors fully, finally...

ItsMitch

It's easy to be cynical (and for good reason), but I'm happy.  I was worried this would be a repeat of the PS3 era, where Sony would only mend its ways when sales tanked.

now toxic pc players will meet ps toxic players, how cute

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

5 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Sony CEO: We decided not to focus on crossplay because we believe PlayStation is the best place to play.

Well that didn’t take long 

Well they don’t market Xbox Ones or PCs lol. 

The biggest problem I see with this is the PC side of things. PC gaming is full of hackers and toxic players, it's much nicer on consoles and will be a pain if they're allowed into my PS4 multiplayer game servers. However, it would be nice to play multiplayer games with my friends that don't have a PS4 and only a PC.

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Well, the thing is that Sony is Japanese. They don't announce some shit they don't know will work or not.

I suspect that they worked on (good) Cross Plattform Play the whole time and always evaluated the possibility, while the Official Company Policy remains: It is not possible. Until they can show that it works and that there will be no problems with this regard.

The japanese don't shout out some stuff they want to do like the Americans do...

Just compare a SWTOR Livestream to a FFXIV Livestream and you get what I mean. While in the SWTOR Livestream its the best and biggest and amazing, the Japanese are more down to earth...

So it might be that the Japanese Mentality was in their way and they secretly worked on it behind the scenes the whole time and denied the possibility - until they got it working.

No way. They were doing this because they didn't want to do it.

In fact there was an "incident" where crossplay was briefly enabled back in 2017 "by accident" by Epic games.

https://kotaku.com/epic-accidentally-allows-xbox-and-ps4-cross-play-on-for-1818518611

So it was 100% verified and real to be working. Sony just didn;t want it. If you believe otherwise, I don't know what to say. I guess the PR BS actually works on some people.

Also, the reasoning they gave for not doing it was different every week:

from

- This is an ongoing discussion between us and our partners

to

- We believe Playstation is the best place to play it anyway

to

- We want to protect our players from straying outside of our ecosystem

to now:

- We definitely are working on it, for real. We see a path forward now.

Major BS. All of the reasons they gave previously did not just "magically" go away. There was no reason in the first place, other than protecting their dominant market position. End of story.

At least they've done it now, I'm afraid though, because the PS4 version is SO MUCH BETTER. Hopefully we plebs don't ruin the FAR SUPERIOR PS4 experience, sarcasm obviously.

To be clear though, this is only on Fortnite at this stage?

10 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Following a comprehensive evaluation process

Translation: we were yelled at and berated for our stupid decision, so we're doing this so you will stop yelling at us :(

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

@Drak3 Don't expect this to go down too soon. The flames have been ignited again. Expect console gamers to start their virtual protests once again. Last time, it went on for months xD Meanwhile, I'll be eating popcorn and watching from afar...

Death to Consoles, death to Battle Royale's.

That is my only opinion on this matter.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I have no idea why BR games took off like they did, I get Minecraft, I get MOBAs, I guess BR is fun if you're playing with a full team? Solo it sucks.

when ps4 users are getting creamed by the accuracy of mouse and keyboard think they will call foul? hope not o.O

Bolivia.

11 minutes ago, SupremeGOAT said:

when ps4 users are getting creamed by the accuracy of mouse and keyboard think they will call foul? hope not o.O

IIRC they can already play with MKB? 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:49 AM, Sniperfox47 said:

I love this part of the quote. So basically the whole gist of these shenanigans is that Sony doesn't want users to see how their experience could, potentially, be better playing the game a different way.

I.E. my gaming mouse, keyboard, resolution etc is better than their playstation hardware ;)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

12 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I have no idea why BR games took off like they did, I get Minecraft, I get MOBAs, I guess BR is fun if you're playing with a full team? Solo it sucks.

It's pretty simple: battle royale games are wonderfully tense and have higher stakes than the usual deathmatch and capture-and-control modes people have played for years.  It rewards picking your fights carefully rather than mindlessly charging into battle.

Fortnite in particular is unique with its construction aspect.  Watch the most skilled competitors and it's almost like they're playing two games at once: they're building entire structures in the middle of a firefight to gain momentary tactical advantages.  I love that there's a game that promotes this kind of ingenuity.

But the real question remains

When will Beter Griffin be confirmed in Smash 5 with cross play with PC?

18 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Not only that but watching the game is a nightmarish cluster.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

What they need now is keyboard+mouse support on all platforms.

Should be possible except for iOS maybe.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Should be possible except for iOS maybe.

From what I remember keyboard support is existent on iOS.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah you can get cases for iPad that have in built keyboards, so I'd assume there would be a wireless keyboard accessory too.

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

now I remember that is false, but what about the mouse?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 27.9.2018 at 12:28 AM, maartendc said:

I guess the PR BS actually works on some people.

No, its the difference between interlan things and external presentation.

You have to have worked at a bigger company to know that its not that rare that they work hard on something but tell you something different...

On 27.9.2018 at 12:28 AM, maartendc said:

Also, the reasoning they gave for not doing it was different every week:

from

- This is an ongoing discussion between us and our partners

to

- We believe Playstation is the best place to play it anyway

to

- We want to protect our players from straying outside of our ecosystem

to now:

- We definitely are working on it, for real. We see a path forward now.

Major BS. All of the reasons they gave previously did not just "magically" go away. There was no reason in the first place, other than protecting their dominant market position. 

Yeah, with that you see that there was something going on internally and that they changed their minds.

That is how it works in big companys. It takes time and you have to prove that your thought is good. Something many people don't understand today ;)

So its not BS, its internal, "political" things going on...

Or as Yongyea said, its not a question of if, its a question of when.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 27.9.2018 at 2:27 AM, Trik'Stari said:

w/o Consoles, we can't have Innovation in Input devices...

Just look at what the PS4 Controller brings to the table. And now imagine what you coud do if that would have been implemented in every game. You have Gyros/Accelerometers, a Touchpad...

Though its only used in Hard Exclusives like the Spraying in Infamous Second Son or Detroit Become Human.

Or look a the WiiU Pad, the Wiimote (though that one could have used a second analogue stick)...

Keyboard and Mouse is possible on (Sony) Consoles for years. And there are also already a couple of games that support that.

For example FF XIV...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Just look at what the PS4 Controller brings to the table. And now imagine what you coud do if that would have been implemented in every game. You have Gyros/Accelerometers, a Touchpad...

Though its only used in Hard Exclusives like the Spraying in Infamous Second Son or Detroit Become Human.

Or look a the WiiU Pad, the Wiimote (though that one could have used a second analogue stick)...

Keyboard and Mouse is possible on (Sony) Consoles for years. And there are also already a couple of games that support that.

For example FF XIV...

I legitimately dislike controllers, Sony controllers most of all. The 360 controller was alright, but still not as good as keyboard and mouse.

You can have plenty of input device variation on PC. More so than console when you consider the ability to install drivers and what not. As well as the ability to configure such devices as you see fit (HOTAS is a good example)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

For example FF XIV...

It could be argued that without consoles there would be stronger incentive for universally compatible peripherals and accessories rather than ones designed to function exclusively on one device. Hypothetically if consoles weren't to exist this could have led to tangibly higher innovation and improvement in input device variability, accessibility and quality.

Key part there however being hypothetically; any PC vs. Console argument is ultimately moot because they rely on supposing the likely outcome of a reality which doesn't exist. As things stand today consoles and PC share a significantly more symbiotic relationship than most people seem to like to think they do. Both have upsides and downsides, but both work towards overall improvement - and the entire gaming market benefits as a result (for the most part).

More on-topic however, I'm glad to see Sony finally changing its stance on this. It's been interesting to see them waffle and flail over the issue when during the PS3's lifecycle they employed almost a polar opposite policy; they were in favour of cross-platform compatibility and play (eg, see Portal 2) whilst Microsoft were more staunchly against it. They've been only shooting themselves in the foot over this by providing Nintendo and Microsoft with such a big stick to beat them with.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

1 hour ago, Whiskers said:

It could be argued that without consoles there would be stronger incentive for universally compatible peripherals and accessories rather than ones designed to function exclusively on one device. Hypothetically if consoles weren't to exist this could have led to tangibly higher innovation and improvement in input device variability, accessibility and quality.

Key part there however being hypothetically; any PC vs. Console argument is ultimately moot because they rely on supposing the likely outcome of a reality which doesn't exist. As things stand today consoles and PC share a significantly more symbiotic relationship than most people seem to like to think they do. Both have upsides and downsides, but both work towards overall improvement - and the entire gaming market benefits as a result (for the most part).

More on-topic however, I'm glad to see Sony finally changing its stance on this. It's been interesting to see them waffle and flail over the issue when during the PS3's lifecycle they employed almost a polar opposite policy; they were in favour of cross-platform compatibility and play (eg, see Portal 2) whilst Microsoft were more staunchly against it. They've been only shooting themselves in the foot over this by providing Nintendo and Microsoft with such a big stick to beat them with.

Probably because when your company is big enough you can have everything proprietary and nobody can compete