[Non-Tech News] Louis Rossmann injured in Accident

AlTech

Louis Rossmann, the owner of a well known Tech repair shop in New York which fixes Apple products, has been in an accident and was injured.

He has/had a concussion and had to be looked at by paramedics.

The accident allegedly happened a few weeks ago but he only posted about it recently in response to why board repairs were taking longer than usual to be fixed.

This is a screenshot from the YouTube video. 

image.png.c14d91bf6e3a1ec5dadf9deacfc779a2.png

I'm personally glad that he's okay and recovering. If he hadn't worn his helmet, he would definitely have been in a lot worse shape. I definitely think he should take some time off to recover properly and in the meantime get somebody else to do most or all boardrepair jobs at the store.

Source:

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

F*cking New Yorkers can't respect the damn bike lanes. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

f

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I know right? They have these bike lanes, and yet the people who don't bike can't be damned to respect them. This includes cops too, as seen in the below video.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

He ran over a steel plate and slid. 

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Something I forgot to mention in the OP is that people around him who saw him go down and called 911 probably stopped him from getting even more injuries.

Usually when somebody is injured around the upper torso or near the neck, the individual shouldn't move otherwise they could paralyze themselves and it also means that he could be brought to a hospital quickly and assessed more easily to ensure it was nothing serious as any kind of concussion has the potential to be serious if not looked at.

Best thing people can do if they see someone get seriously injured is give them CPR if they have a heart attack or if they're not having one then call 911 straight away and help the person in the mean time.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, aki adaki said:

He ran over a steel plate and slid. 

So now I can just blame New York for being New York and having OILED STEEL PLATES, LAYING IN THE STREET!

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Maybe, but that’s not why the accident happened. 

It was essentially a freak incident. There was oil on a metal slate. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

SO now I can just blame New York for being New York and having OILED STEEL PLATES, LAYING IN THE STREET!

I'm just thankful that Louis is recovering.

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

SO now I can just blame New York for being New York and having OILED STEEL PLATES, LAYING IN THE STREET!

12 minutes ago, kirashi said:

I know right? They have these bike lanes, and yet the people who don't bike can't be damned to respect them. This includes cops too, as seen in the below video.

America really is a smart place sometimes. 

15 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Cyclists don't respect traffic laws.

There's also no place for a 190lb person on a 15lb vehicle, that likely can't even go 30mph, next to anything between motobikes weighing 400lb to multiton trucks hauling multiple tons of of cargo, all of which capable of hitting the speed limits of any and all roads with bike lanes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

There's also no place for a 190lb person on a 15lb vehicle, that likely can't even go 30mph, next to anything between motobikes weighing 400lb to multiton trucks hauling multiple tons of of cargo, all of which capable of hitting the speed limits of any and all roads with bike lanes.

Bikes are great for small trips to save a bit of cash - and certainly I love cycling off-road on the tracks and country roads. Just a little bit of common sense it needed by both sides. 

- Cyclists can't go that fast or stop/maneuvre quickly

- The ones in lycra should wear something better. Especially old people. I don't care how breathable your junk gets. 

- Cars need to be more accepting and give cyclists space, and be careful of opening doors.

- Buses need to learn basic road rules and be more accepting of cyclists. I've nearly gotten squashed so many times. 

- Infrastructure needs to be there so there is space for parking and a cycle lane. Double parking is not acceptable. 

It's more like everyones fault, and certainly road rage plays a large role. Just remember some people can't afford a car, or are trying to be fitter with a tight schedule. There will always be cyclists and drivers, and we're all on the same team of trying to life. Cutting cyclists off or being a bit of a dick on the roads is not OK. That said being in the way of a car or running red lights is not OK either. Both need to respect the rules and things would go a lot smoother. 

12 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

... Really? OK, I'll just bring up the fact that motorists don't respect traffic laws either. In fact, I've seen deer, moose, elk, eagles, mice, rats, cats, dogs, and even inanimate objects like soccer balls and hockey pucks fail to yield to traffic too, so none of these things should be allowed on the roads either. Ban them all! /s

While I certainly agree with bikes not driving on the same roads as say 90km/h highways for safety reasons, places like New York, The Netherlands, and Japan have mastered the art of sharing the road with vehicles, pedestrians, bikes, and other transportation devices on busier but less speedy roads. Did you know the average speed in New York is a whopping 7.5 km/h? Bikes can travel much faster than this because they are able to fit into smaller spaces more easily than cars, so arguably vehicles are actually the problem, since they can't maneuver as safely as bikes or even walking pedestrians.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-new-york-traffic-manhattan-20180124-story.html

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

Cars need to be more accepting and give cyclists space

Cars can't give cyclists more space (nor should they be expected to), roads can't accommodate that.

3 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It's more like everyones fault

No, cyclists are assholes that just cause issues. They have no place next to cars. They should be treated as pedestrians.

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

ll just bring up the fact that motorists don't respect traffic laws either.

Most motorists do. What few that don't, end up losing their licenses or pay out the ass in tickets.

Whereas cyclists seem to have a death wish every time they cut people off, run traffic lights, swerve in and out of "their" lanes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Cars can't give cyclists more space (nor should they be expected to), roads can't accommodate that.

No, cyclists are assholes that just cause issues. They have no place next to cars. They should be treated as pedestrians.

Most motorists do. What few that don't, end up losing their licenses or pay out the ass in tickets.

Whereas cyclists seem to have a death wish every time they cut people off, run traffic lights, swerve in and out of "their" lanes.

I'm not going to argue what has already been proven to work in certain cities. It's really up to whether or not the citizens driving and cycling in each city can find a way to be decent human beings and work together to share the road instead of creating conflict, as exemplified here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_in_Amsterdam

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/may/05/amsterdam-bicycle-capital-world-transport-cycling-kindermoord

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2017/10/5-reasons-why-amsterdam-works-so-well-for-bikes/544101/

22 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If you can't give cyclists space then you shouldn't be driving. It's not hard.

Some are, but there are also drivers who are assholes too.

Most cyclists obey the law too. Both motorists and cyclists are a mixed bag. 

It's not that prominent and common sense from both sides can avoid this. It's not hard to slow up or down to accommodate a biker and you should be checking your mirrors all the time anyway. It's also not hard as a cyclist to learn to give cars space as well and to keep to the left as much as possible, and to look when crossing intersection. 

Both sides not education. 

Yeah.... accident

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Honestly they should just extend the sidewalks a little bit where possible and put the cyclists back onto it instead of doing poorly planned bikelanes in the streets. That way cars wouldn't be able to park in the cyclist lane (unless they are the special kind of assholes who park on top of the sidewalk) and the cyclists themselves will be safer.

I cycle to and from work every day, I tend to only use the small side streets where there's barely any car traffic. I respect red lights and stop sign even if there's no cars or anyone crossing, I'll still be waiting. I even indicate with my arms if I'm turning left/right, something a lot of drivers seems incapable of doing.

My biggest issues with cars, are the scumbags who seems to have no god damn clue how to park, often leaving a good foot or two of space between their wheels and the sidewalk, or partially parking diagonally, this force me to swerve into traffic to avoid that one fucking car.

Here, have a beautiful mspaint drawing of what I mean by this

Spoiler

JyDRF5P.png

bike lanes indicated by the blue lines, the red shapes are cars parked on the sides and the green line is the rough trajectory of a bike trying to respect their bike lane but cannot because of assholes.

That or the fuckers that make you stand there like a god damn moron waiting for them to pass at an intersection... only for them to turn with no indication because they never used their blinkers.

You may hate cyclists, but if you do this, you're the problem here, not the cyclists.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

So now I can just blame New York for being New York and having OILED STEEL PLATES, LAYING IN THE STREET!

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

I love NYC, but the traffic there feels like it's run without drivers' education and with some medieval traffic system. It's even worse when you have tourists renting a car for the weekend! "The right of way belongs to the guy drunkenly waving his sword around"

But this? How the hell did someone not clean the oil?! NYC has street sweepers running daily from the last time I went for a week. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

12 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I've always said that cyclists should be banned from street traffic. But apparently that makes me crazy.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's a two way street. Cyclists hate all motorists because of a few idiots who won't respect their right to be on the roads. Motorists hate all cyclists because of a few idiots (usually hard core cyclists wearing fancy, overpriced bike shorts, shoes that are hard to walk in, and helmets and riding thousand dollar plus bikes that are way overkill for their short commutes) think they own the road, getting in everyone's way, and  think they don't have to obey traffic laws.

I use to commute to and from work by bicycle (a street/mountain bike crossover due to the rough streets where I lived) but had to give it up because it was too dangerous in traffic. As a motorist (and even while I was still riding bikes), I would (and still do) get furious with bikers that get in the way of traffic although I just quietly steam for a moment (or occasionally gesture that "they are number one" when I almost hit a particularly stupid one) rather than retaliate. Seems like no matter the situation, there are always a few knuckleheads and/or jerks that ruin things for everyone else.

Confining bikes to sidewalks is not the answer, either. That would just move the battle to bikes and pedestrians.

Side note... What is it with the people who design bicycles and gear? Bike seats hurt the crotch because they are narrow and hard so, instead of making more comfortable bike seats, they pad the shorts?

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!