[Non-Tech News] Louis Rossmann injured in Accident

AlTech
14 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

F*cking New Yorkers can't respect the damn bike lanes. 

That's not what happened. He was riding and slipped on some metal that was slippery.

So sorry for Louis. Hope he gets well soon. I always enjoy his content.

And about the cycling: don't worry about it now guys. The cycling community has to grow a lot, people have to get used to bikes being there and people have to get used to new rules. If rules are unclear, people are going to fight over it. If rules are clear, and enforced with care, there is no reason to argue. I have cycled since I could walk, but I don't know if I would go and cycle around New York just yet. 

No signature found

10 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Side note... What is it with the people who design bicycles and gear? Bike seats hurt the crotch because they are narrow and hard so, instead of making more comfortable bike seats, they pad the shorts?

I just had to reply to this. The reason is that there should be almost no weight on the seat. If the seat hurts your crotch its not in the right spot. Ideally you shouldnt feel any pressure from the seats. The padding in the shorts is usually very minimal compared to a padded bike seat. and properly conforms to the body unlike a padded bike seat, which are usually so big you have improper form.

As I biker myself I honestly hate bikers on the road. The majority are either idiots who should be walking instead of biking because they go so slow on the road. Or entitled roadies that group up and take up literally the whole road, which is illegal in most jurisdictions. And the bikers who swerve though traffic and run reds are the absolute worst. Honestly there should be a license for being able to bike on a public road. It would solve a ton of problems with people who dont know what theyre doing and dont respect the law. There really needs to be rules about aptitude too. If you cant keep a solid 20 km/h on the average flat city road you really shouldnt be biking on it

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I just had to reply to this. The reason is that there should be almost no weight on the seat. If the seat hurts your crotch its not in the right spot. Ideally you shouldnt feel any pressure from the seats. The padding in the shorts is usually very minimal compared to a padded bike seat. and properly conforms to the body unlike a padded bike seat, which are usually so big you have improper form.

As I biker myself I honestly hate bikers on the road. The majority are either idiots who should be walking instead of biking because they go so slow on the road. Or entitled roadies that group up and take up literally the whole road, which is illegal in most jurisdictions. And the bikers who swerve though traffic and run reds are the absolute worst. Honestly there should be a license for being able to bike on a public road. It would solve a ton of problems with people who dont know what theyre doing and dont respect the law. There really needs to be rules about aptitude too. If you cant keep a solid 20 km/h on the average flat city road you really shouldnt be biking on it

I've had bicycle seats that were perfectly comfortable and didn't get in my way. They are hard to find, though. I see the problems as a cross between people wanting the "look" and poor engineering.

I agree with your second paragraph except the last sentence. As long as one stays out of the way of traffic (vehicular and bicycle), it doesn't matter how fast or slow one goes.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

12 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I've had bicycle seats that were perfectly comfortable and didn't get in my way. They are hard to find, though. I see the problems as a cross between people wanting the "look" and poor engineering.

I agree with your second paragraph except the last sentence. As long as one stays out of the way of traffic (vehicular and bicycle), it doesn't matter how fast or slow one goes.

Theres definitely some like that but the small bike seat is definitely there for a reason.

The problem with people going slow is they do get in the way. Most roads only have space for a car and maybe a bike and a slow biker just completely holds traffic up, and in my experience is much more unpredictable that a biker that is going a reasonable speed. 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Speed is not important if the rules take them into account. Keep to the right and everybody that's faster simply passes on the left. No problem.

About saddles, are you talking about a standard bike or a sporting bike? For a standard commuting bike you should have a nice comfy seat as your position is more upright, and weight is pressing down. For a sporting bike, things are different. It could be that your position is a little of, dimensions of your bike could be causing that strain or you might have to get used to it a little more.

No signature found

On 9/8/2018 at 8:34 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Louis is a biker, huh.

Guess that explains why I don't like him.

You must not like Taran much either then.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

14 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

Speed is not important if the rules take them into account. Keep to the right and everybody that's faster simply passes on the left. No problem.

About saddles, are you talking about a standard bike or a sporting bike? For a standard commuting bike you should have a nice comfy seat as your position is more upright, and weight is pressing down. For a sporting bike, things are different. It could be that your position is a little of, dimensions of your bike could be causing that strain or you might have to get used to it a little more.

It is over in america where the majority of city roads have no space for a biker. Think of it like a highway. A car going 80 in a 100 zone is a lot easier to pass then a car going 40 in the same zone. Traffic just runs a hell of a lot smoother

Spoiler

AXIOM

12 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

It is over in america where the majority of city roads have no space for a biker. Think of it like a highway. A car going 80 in a 100 zone is a lot easier to pass then a car going 40 in the same zone. Traffic just runs a hell of a lot smoother

These streets in NYC rarely go over 15 and 25mph. Cyclists can easily hit 5-10mph and still be safely within traffic limits. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

These streets in NYC rarely go over 15 and 25mph. Cyclists can easily hit 5-10mph and still be safely within traffic limits. 

The bad part about that speed is bikers start swerving in and out of traffic though, and that where a lot of accidents happen.

Spoiler

AXIOM

So how does law propose people behave in such situations?

If they allow for cars and bikes to be in the same lane, how can a cycler let a car pass in a safe way?

No signature found

I love the jab at Apple Genius' at the end xD

Good to see his sense of humor is still intact. Hope he as a quick recovery.

10 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

The bad part about that speed is bikers start swerving in and out of traffic though, and that where a lot of accidents happen.

Same thing happens with drivers. It comes down to education and courtesy. There are plenty of times in Bradenton where pedestrians get hit when they have the right of way. Add cyclists. Roads are for everyone, not just cars. The highway isn't a good choice of argument for this as no cyclist can conceivably match >60mph speeds. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

2 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

The problem with people going slow is they do get in the way. Most roads only have space for a car and maybe a bike and a slow biker just completely holds traffic up, and in my experience is much more unpredictable that a biker that is going a reasonable speed. 

You have to learn to share the road with others. You don't own it.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

12 hours ago, RobbinM said:

So how does law propose people behave in such situations?

If they allow for cars and bikes to be in the same lane, how can a cycler let a car pass in a safe way?

In ontario a driver is now required to give a 1 meter distance from the bike(most don't, and it's very irritating to watch), the bike is required to be as close to the curb (or as safe as possible) in those cases. In many heavy urban areas or one lane each way roads you would see a share the road sign showing single file order, this means you are not legally allowed to pass a bike. In these cases most people who pass on these lanes are brainless dickwads who actually road rage at the biker for following the law...

13 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

A biker unless at a red light kicking off would show signs of weaving before you get to the point of passing them, and if you can't see the biker because of the vehicle in front of you then you are tailgating. At a red light if the biker is in front of you they have the right of way, even if they cut thru traffic to get there. If you get into a accident with them (even if they weaved into you) you'd likely be found at fault, esp if they have proof (gopro) that they were in front of you at the time the light turned green.

12 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Roads are for everyone

Excluding neighboorhoods where speed limits are 20MPH or lower, not anymore.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Unless it’s a highway, it should be accessible to everyone. If there’s only one road out or into a city, courtesy would be letting everyone share the road. If they can go through the cities to get to the next, by all means go ahead. If they can’t, drivers need to take notice and act appropriately.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Here in the U.S., except where specifically prohibited and it is posted (such as urban freeways), the roads are for everyone. Period. Deal with it.

Jeannie

49 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

the roads are for everyone.

It's not nearly as cut and dry as you make it out to be, speed bump. It largely bouls down to police interpretation, which is usually that cyclists are a hazard on the roads.

52 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

it should be accessible to everyone

Beyond the same use pedestrians are restricted to, no, it shouldn't. Cyclists are a hazard to everyone else on the road.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

In ontario a driver is now required to give a 1 meter distance from the bike(most don't, and it's very irritating to watch), the bike is required to be as close to the curb (or as safe as possible) in those cases. In many heavy urban areas or one lane each way roads you would see a share the road sign showing single file order, this means you are not legally allowed to pass a bike. In these cases most people who pass on these lanes are brainless dickwads who actually road rage at the biker for following the law...

That explains the rage. Bikes and cars are incompatible, speed wise. That share the road law makes no sense and should be changed as soon as possible.

Roads don't always have to be wider to accomodate cyclists. If you make the sides a bike path with a different color, and make the car lanes closer together in the middle, car traffic automatically slows down.

No signature found

3 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

That explains the rage. Bikes and cars are incompatible, speed wise. That share the road law makes no sense and should be changed as soon as possible.

Roads don't always have to be wider to accomodate cyclists. If you make the sides a bike path with a different color, and make the car lanes closer together in the middle, car traffic automatically slows down.

What you suggest makes no financial sense as a country too, some roads are too narrow to put bike lanes in, hence why share the road in single file is used (not just here it's in the states too plus some other parts of the world I think). It's cheaper to put in laws with potentially criminal outcomes than it is to transform a large amount of roads. Think of it like this, what you're suggesting is to possibly widen roads (taking away from the properties on the street) 3 feet on each side or spend the money to respray all markings (including removing the old ones). Canada has about 400,000KM of paved roads(no highways) assuming you can cover 1KM a hour(no modifications needed) with 1000 crews with enough machines to paint the whole road(and you can close the road, aka perfect conditions), you're looking at about 10 workers being paid at least $25/h plus paint machines etc... After such a project you're looking at least 100 million in funding the project in work hours alone, not including project leaders engineers etc... You paying? No? Laws are therefore cheaper, don't like the laws? Don't drive, simple.

The best thing to do is actually find a way to weed out the bad drivers before putting them on the road, like forcing them in a simulator for 100 hours (total) going threw various scenarios using a computer to monitor said person's attitude facial expressions etc during said time. Bikes are not the problem in traffic when it is Car V Bikes, Bikes are assholes but at least if you get hit by one you're not likely to die from their stupidity.

Plus I've seen drivers (esp in Toronto) use the bike lanes to try squeezing (ultimately failing and blocking bikes) to turn right, so while in theory making lanes smaller should make cars slower however reality is drivers will still go the posted speed (and usually faster) and will consume the bike lane in the process if they feel the need.

Bikes belong on the roads drivers need to accept them as a vehicle on the road regardless of speed. Forcing bikes on sidewalks puts pedestrians in danger, forcing bikes to not go down a road otherwise would require single lane (usually at a lower speed than normal anyways) would discourage people to ride bikes putting more cars on the road.

Simply put if you can't accept the bike in front of you as a human being trying to get to a destination, you shouldn't be driving.

27 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

*snip* If you make the sides a bike path with a different color, and make the car lanes closer together in the middle, car traffic automatically slows down.

Maybe where you're from... Here it would just mean more people losing side mirrors or colliding (head on in the case of single lane roads).

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

What you suggest makes no financial sense as a country

Does it need to? If it cares for it's citizens, isn't it justified?

When roads are renewed, it's little extra cost to facilitate it's users in a better way. It can take decades for all roads to be improved but why not start today?

Maybe where you're from... Here it would just mean more people losing side mirrors or colliding (head on in the case of single lane roads).

That might happen in the beginning, but it makes no sense to keep that behaviour so people will change because it's for their own good not to have their mirrors replaced every other week.

No signature found

11 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

That might happen in the beginning, but it makes no sense to keep that behaviour so people will change because it's for their own good not to have their mirrors replaced every other week.

I was actually joking about that. Thing is though, you can't just make lanes narrower in the US due to the giant vehicles that have to drive on them.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler