Really Linus?

AskTJ
11 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

It doesn't really matter what you think though. Anyone who thinks it's serious is wrong.

Exactly, I don't think the WAN show is completely serious, and thats why it has a large appeal. 

Its about discussion and banter. Lets not forget that Linus and Riley go way back. Collegues and friends give each other this stuff all the time, and its never really serious. Taking the piss.

He should also apologize for all of those times he fired luke. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

I'm sorry. 

Sorry that you didn't enjoy them as much as I did. 

:P <---- apparently necessary 

Oh we enjoyed them all right :P

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

I don't know... just seemed a lot like "shop talk"

Ragging on fellow employees is often a great team building exercise only shared by team members that are close enough to take a joke.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Well. I don’t think you quite understand “employee banter”.

Hell, in the case of myself alongside close mates, we do the same types of banter from time to time. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

20 hours ago, AskTJ said:

I personally see this as rude and unprofessional, especially being in front of a big audience, live, and then seeing Riley's reaction really made me feel bad, as well as multiple people commenting after the video and during the stream. Sure, Linus can be a douche and rude, on and off camera, but this wasn't a nice way to treat Riley, especially with his reaction. You have to give it to Riley though, for shrugging it off, drinking his beverage and continuing on with the stream, but that one moment really made him feel uncomfortable and feel small. It might've been a joke, and most likely was, but it wasn't taken as one.

Maybe it is a good thing the whole company is going on a retreat... Remember I did say 2 weeks ago Linus seriously needed a vacation...

I should mention: I've been far too busy to have watched the WAN show, so...

IMO joke or not I don't think Linus should belittle his employees like that esp on a live stream, it is rude and unprofessional. Perhaps Linus should let him try to do a review of a card and let the community decide. I would love to see it now that Linus thinks it is a bad idea.

2 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

You mean Colton...

I've posted my comments about this in the other thread.

However, after further review, it seems like since after reading Linus` post, Linus knew Riley was just joking around, however, that doesn't really warrant such a response I feel. Linus` eyes looked straight into Riley's face, and then up and down real fast when he got close to the word qualified. It's like he really wanted to instill that he wasn't "qualified".

That means either a) Linus didn't realize Riley was being facetious when he said that, and thought he was being serious so he told him literally why.

Or b) Linus knew Riley was playing around and just trolled a bit with some banter. 

My only concern is, the look on Linus` face when he was saying that to Riley.. seemed too serious (IMO) to be friendly banter.

That's just how I perceived it. I could be wrong, but yeah.

20 minutes ago, HashBrowns said:

Or b) Linus knew Riley was playing around and just trolled a bit with some banter. 

Given his response, this is more likely 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

What about Colton?

Oh yeah, nobody cares that guy.

5 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

You mean Colton...

No, firing Luke is much older joke. Just like making Dennis "new Taran" is old reference.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

What about Colton?

Oh yeah, nobody cares that guy.

No, firing Luke is much older joke. Just like making Dennis "new Taran" is old reference.

I haven't heard that one before. . .

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

On 9/1/2018 at 9:14 AM, Lathlaer said:

Doesn't matter what we think but it should matter to Linus that out of entire 1h of content people are only talking about how he treated Riley. 

Just look at YT comments, how does it take to scroll to something that isn't related to this exchange?

I guess Linus can't make jokes anymore because not everyone has the social intelligence to interpret it correctly!

Jesus why has every one got their tits in a twist over this? if I took everything my boss or coworkers said as face value then I would probs be some whiney shite on the floor crying.

In this case, Linus is basically saying that Riley can't review a gpu because it's not his strength. what's wrong with that? Linus says that he has known Riley for 8 years, so they both know where the line in the sand is between banter and character building. Why would Linus go out of his way, when live streaming to thousands of people, and publicly bully Riley. 

Stop being such snowflakes and grow up. 

@LinusTech

I make intelligent lights do cool things

On 9/1/2018 at 5:24 AM, Lathlaer said:

Except the problem is that it did not look friendly and did not sound friendly. Whatever their professional and personal relationship might be as the background for this exchange doesn't change the fact that it looked serious and it sounded serious.

So you're argument is that everyone misunderstood, but because it was perceived by many in the wrong light, it WAS wrong. 

That just doesn't hold up. Also I didn't have any clue why people were upset until someone time stamped it, and even then I could tell it wasn't meant in harm.

linus and riley have spoken up in response and assured everyone it was a joke, so i don't see why this is still being made out to be an issue, let alone a second topic.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Hmm... Friends having to apologize for teasing each other? 

I don't know how to feel about that... 

Oh yeah, by getting over it. You're seeing their friendship, not a corporate "you pay me, I make you money" relationship. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

26 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

So you're argument is that everyone misunderstood, but because it was perceived by many in the wrong light, it WAS wrong. 

No, this is not my argument at all. I'm just explaining why the joke did not land. I felt it needed explaining since Linus seemed like he was confused that people reacted the way they reacted and needed to explain that it was a joke.

So I explained this to him - to put it simply, if the situation was a joke, it simply didn't land. Linus was too serious when he said that and Riley was too moved by it. Simple as that. At virtually no point of the conversation have I expressed my own feelings toward the situation - I objectively stated that his delivery was too specific and his tone too serious. I'm not upset with Linus speaking the way he did to Riley or smth. The situation just sounded wrong because it contained an attempt at a joke that many did not get for the reasons I mentioned and this in turn derailed a whole show discussion.

If someone wants to boost their ego by calling all the other people "who did not get the joke" snowflakes, be my guest but thank god it's not stand up comedy because blaming the audience for not getting the joke instead of your own delivery is universally seen as poor form.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

tl;dr 

Shite joke caused uncomfortable watching for more than just "a few" viewers.

Solution: write better jokes and/or react in a way with a knowing wink.

I'd wager a good portion of the WAN show views are not people on the forum, so they'll never see these threads and conclude linus is a douche to his employees etc. "We" might know it's a joke or border line douchey, but the youtube masses probably don't... and it's them that count more (dem views for dat sweet cashflow) Image is key.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Image result for snowflake memes

Everyone is so damn sensitive these days...

1 hour ago, Netivity said:

Image result for snowflake memes

Everyone is so damn sensitive these days...

That is 3rd stage meme cancer. The screenshot repeating it adding emojis, started from some kinda site like funnystuff or cheezeburger, judging by the watermark in left corner, and was already a repost there. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

6 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

That is 3rd stage meme cancer. The screenshot repeating it adding emojis, started from some kinda site like funnystuff or cheezeburger, judging by the watermark in left corner, and was already a repost there. 

Probably...

It was relevant to the situation, so I used it.

Watch out! It has a watermark! I couldn't care less. 

I never claimed to be a "Meme maker" I just apply them to the situation that are deemed relevant.

Thanks for your opinion though, next time be more subtle on the delivery.

Just now, Netivity said:

Probably...

It was relevant to the situation, so I used it.

Watch out! It has a watermark! I couldn't care less. 

I never claimed to be a "Meme maker" I just apply them to the situation that are deemed relevant.

Thanks for your opinion though, next time be more subtle on the delivery.

snowflakes btfo 

muh specs 

All parts black