Microsoft wants to make Windows Command Line great again with awesome new features coming soon to Windows 10

AlTech

Microsoft wants to modernize the Windows Command Line infrastructure with awesome features coming in a future Windows 10 version.

Over the last few years, Microsoft has been working to improve the Windows console. Console windows now maximize properly, for example. In the olden days, hitting maximize would make the window taller but not wider. Today, the action will fill the whole screen, just like any other window. Especially motivated by the Windows subsystem for Linux, the console in Windows 10 supports 16 million colors and VT escape sequences, enabling much richer console output than has traditionally been possible on Windows.

Even with this work, however, the Windows console still leaves a lot to be desired when compared to its counterparts on Linux and macOS. Linux in particular has a wide range of console applications offering, for example, tabbed consoles. It also has applications like screen and tmux that allow multiple applications to share the same console. While there are third-party efforts to do the same on Windows (with programs such as ConEmu), they all tend to be quite limited: they work by creating a Windows console window, hiding it somewhere off-screen, and scraping the characters from that console window. This approach isn't robust; command-line applications that try to do complex things (such as showing full screen interfaces) often end up breaking.

But change is afoot. Microsoft is working to build a better console for Windows, one that we hope will open the door to the same flexibility and capabilities that Unix users have enjoyed for more than 40 years. To be clear, this work is changing not the command-line programs themselves, but the text-heavy windows that command-line applications use: PowerShell, cmd, and the Windows subsystem for Linux all use the same console infrastructure, which is why their windows all look the same and have the same features and limitations.

Currently, every Console app on Windows regardless of framework or programming language uses the same Command Line Infrastructure under the hood.

The Windows Command Line has fallen far behind Unix in the past 40 years and Microsoft wants to modernize it.

Some of the modernizations planned include Emoji support, full rich Unicode support, Console Tabs, and other features that the Windows Command Line doesn't support.

Some of the planned features have already made their way into the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview builds. Hopefully this means the improved console experience should be a part of Windows 10 Version 1809 or more likely Version 1903 since Version 1809 is nearing completion.

The new and improved APIs seem to be in the latest Windows 10 Insider builds, though documentation is a little scarce for now. The command-line team is publishing a series of blog posts describing the history of the Windows command-line, and how the operating system's console works. The big reveal of the new API is coming soon, and with this, Windows should finally be able to have reliable, effective tabbed consoles, with emoji support, rich Unicode, and all the other things that the Windows console doesn't do... yet.

It's cool that the Windows Command Line is catching up to Bash :P

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07/microsoft-is-making-the-windows-command-line-a-lot-better/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Emoteji support

sudo aptget -xyz.plugin.itunes

Command unknown

sudo aptget -xyz.plugin.itunes :)

Retrieving -xyz.plugin.itunes

I can see this being a thing as we await Skynet, our one and only savior. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

GNU/Linux command line

AKA Bash.

10 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Emoji support

The idiot that pushed this idea deserves nothing less than a slow, painful, gruesome death.

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

and other features that the Windows Command Line doesn't support.

Technically, making me coffee is a feature WCLI doesn't support...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

ZSH for life. Bash is miles ahead of CMD, but ZSH is just Creme de la Creme! 

EDIT: I wonder whether they come up with better scripting language than that nightmare. 

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

sudo aptget -xyz.plugin.itunes

Command unknown

sudo aptget -xyz.plugin.itunes :)

Retrieving -xyz.plugin.itunes

I can see this being a thing as we await Skynet, our one and only savior. 

I for one do not accept our new savior/overlord/evil-corporate-entity

image.png.7e1ae0ac44f286d643e15408176b589c.png

It support Unicode, so that it means it support Emoji, which are part of Unicode. That is how you can send emoji's via SMS. SMS doesn't support text + image mix within 1 message.

They aren't improving command prompt, they are improving the console which runs the command prompt or powershell. The distinction isn't immediately obvious when they announced this.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Some of the modernizations planned include Emoji support, full rich Unicode support, Console Tabs, and other features that the Windows Command Line doesn't support.

Because it's totally not annoying when I send a code snippet to a co-worker via Skype and it turns my glorious code into a freaking Emoji......

C:\> cd D:/pictures/RexDinosaur/

'D:/pictures/RexDinosaur/' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

C:\> >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(   **puts my feelings into emoji**

Deleting C:\ ...

...fuck...

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

with emoji support

RIP console

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Command line emoji support. 

This is their priorities. 

This might be the thing that pushes me from windows for good. 

Not joking. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Eh, as long as I don't have to ever interact with the Console and everything can still be done through the GUI, they can do whatever they want.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I love how everyone is fixated on Emoji support. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

37 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Command line emoji support. 

This is their priorities. 

Pretty sure that it's just a consequence of updating unicode support, not them going out of their way to add emoji.

27 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I love how everyone is fixated on Emoji support. 

It's not like they're adding something worth while.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Windows still will be shit! Fucking canonical works with MS. They implemented powershell in ubuntu. Who the hell needs powershell in linux? What the fuck do you want microsoft? Get the fuck out of here. You have your shitty OS and take care of it. Hands OFF LINUX bitch! I hate MS i wish it to get bankrupt!!! Go to hell bill for creating this shitty OS!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

5 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Because it's totally not annoying when I send a code snippet to a co-worker via Skype and it turns my glorious code into a freaking Emoji......

The problem is you're using Skype to send code, you're using it in a why it wasn't intended.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

7 hours ago, 2FA said:

They aren't improving command prompt, they are improving the console which which runs the command prompt or powershell. The distinction isn't immediately obvious when they announced this.

Really interesting that the people who are so happy about this haven’t noticed that. 

That being said I’m happy with using Terminal as little as possible

A2B2A734-0951-40DB-9CE2-A73A799288AF.thumb.png.851c75654e2d2b6a97f8b7429be05075.png

Though I have to admit that the macOS terminal is pretty cool and powerful. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

20 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

snip

Why though?

Terminal on macOS is very cool. :)

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

21 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Though I have to admit that the macOS terminal is pretty cool and powerful. 

Is that the one where you say "Hey, Siri"?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Is that the one where you say "Hey, Siri"?

Nope. That's Spotlight.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Maybe it's because I'm lazy or maybe it's because I can't follow directions, but using the command line in any sort of OS is tedious to me.

It is tedious. It makes 0 sense for an average user. I love the novelty of the ideal of opening an app with a terminal command like I'm in the control room of the original Jurassic Park.....

But If I want to open up anything its cmd+spacebar and the first letter is often enough to find what I want. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

12 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Maybe it's because I'm lazy or maybe it's because I can't follow directions, but using the command line in any sort of OS is tedious to me.

Taking you hands off your keyboard to the mouse is slow. The move you can do without moving to the mouse the more productive you'll be but it will have a learning curve.

At work I do a lot of my work from the terminal, when I have to exec In to a docker container I literally only have terminal and vim.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´