2018 Macbook Pro Touchbar has NO Data Recovery Port!

iamdarkyoshi

Time Machine! Time Machine! Time Machine! Time Machine! Time Machine! Time Machine! 

Developers \o/

Hourly (or however often you want) incremental full system imagines that back up literally everything about your system. Coming to Windows 10, never. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

To be fair though, this isn't even a uniquely Apple design, is it?  There are actually other laptops out there with soldered storage and no magic save-my-ass port, right?

Tons. But those other laptops can have the SSD desoldered and then resoldered to another mainboard, and it'll work if done right.

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yeah but those are 200$ 32GB EMMC HP streams, not several grand professional machines

Surface Pro/Book.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Tons. But those other laptops can have the SSD desoldered and then resoldered to another mainboard, and it'll work if done right.

Not that I feel this is a valid excuse to solder it, but wouldn't the same be true for the macbook?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Not that I feel this is a valid excuse to solder it, but wouldn't the same be true for the macbook?

No, Apple uses a hardware based encryption that ties the drive and mainboard so that a transfer isn't possible.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

No, Apple uses a hardware based encryption that ties the drive and mainboard so that a transfer isn't possible.

Oh lovely

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

And if the SSD itself fails? Some people will just have to learn the hard way about the importance of backing up data you really don't want to lose. And encryption is pretty good reason to remove it, if that reason is genuine of course.

A data recovery port won't help if the laptop is stolen, submersed in water, or destroyed by fire. If it nudges people towards backups it's not the worst thing in the world.

Perhaps Apple should include a popup box that nags the user to backup if they're not already using external drives or iCloud, and also repeatedly states that Apple does not recover lost data at all.. Disabling the nag entirely can only be done in Terminal. :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Evidence? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

24 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Perhaps Apple should include a popup box that nags the user to backup if they're not already using external drives or iCloud, and also repeatedly states that Apple does not recover lost data at all.. Disabling the nag entirely can only be done in Terminal. :P

They tell you before you take any of your devices into servicing, and the user is prompted to set up Time Machine on first setup. 

Users could use more reminding that they should be backing up, but then macOS is going to be more like Windows 10 which cries wolf just because you aren't paying for OneDrive Storage and are therefore vulnerable to Ransomware......which I don't think anyone wants. 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

They tell you before you take any of your devices into Terminal,[...]

What does that mean?

16 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

[...] and the user is prompted to set up Time Machine on first setup. 

Users could use more reminding that they should be backing up, but then macOS is going to be more like Windows 10 which cries wolf just because you aren't paying for OneDrive Storage and are therefore vulnerable to Ransomware......which I don't think anyone wants. 

Nagging them to use iCloud or whatever it is would be a bad move for obvious reasons, but I don't think reminders to backup (use Time Machine) would go amiss.  Far too few people - on Mac or Windows - do it, or do it often enough.  Regardless of what they do with the SSD and encryption or soldering, this really would help people more than it hurts them.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What does that mean?

That would have been an error caused by my brain being incredibly open to suggestion when typing or writing xD 

Ah, this reminds me of the time I wrecked my hard drive and stupid me didn't even do a backup 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

7 hours ago, 2FA said:

Any other brand of laptop with encryption will have the same exact issue. Crucifying Apple over better security is comical.

Amen. Meanwhile we have IOT botnets and nobody's raising hell over that. Applying so many manhours into heckling Apple misses other far more high impact issues.

31 minutes ago, Tenelia said:

Amen. Meanwhile we have IOT botnets and nobody's raising hell over that. Applying so many manhours into heckling Apple misses other far more high impact issues.

Perhaps the collective priorities could use a little straightening out, but the presence of something terrible should have no bearing on the presence of something bad.  ie, just because there might be something worse to complain about doesn't make it any less important to complain about other bad things that aren't as significant.  Sometimes I think there just isn't enough effort to go around though.

Why can't they just use an M.2 drive... Come on... I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take up much more space

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

14 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Why can't they just use an M.2 drive... Come on... I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take up much more space

It actually would be impossible to fit an M.2 drive inside any of the MacBook Pros on the market. 

16 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Look at how densely the Macbook is packed. Every square inch is filled with battery. The motherboard of the macbook is tiny and odd shaped to accomodate the fans.

There is no space on the Macbook motherboard to fit even 1 m.2 slot, let alone 2.

To fit a m.2 ssd, they will have to increase the size of the motherboard and decrease the battery size.

Macbooks have bigger batteries and better battery life than most Windows laptops.

PiKnJNeJjicDXj1a.large

cBFfrfQPrPBFgV1s.large

Just now, avg123 said:

Macbooks have bigger batteries and better battery life than most Windows laptops.

I'd probably keep it a little conservative and compare it to laptops of a similar size and form factor. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

10 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

The Throttlebook Pro gets even worse. It's almost funny until you remember people buy this shit @DrMacintosh

I find it funny that people here are calling it the"Throttlebook Pro" because of one particular config when in reality every other config in the lineup performs just fine inside the 13" and 15" MBP designs. 

The new 13" Models are actually amazing machines now and nobody want's to give Apple credit for that because its not trendy. 

8 minutes ago, avg123 said:

PiKnJNeJjicDXj1a.large

cBFfrfQPrPBFgV1s.large

It is unfortunate to see that the 2018 MBPs are not using terraced cells. There is some wasted space flanking the bottom right and left cells. 

9 minutes ago, avg123 said:

There is no space on the Macbook motherboard to fit even 1 m.2 slot, let alone 2.

Then they must, god forbid, make the machine larger. A soldered unrecoverable-if-the-board-dies storage device is NOT what I'd consider professional.

Yes, time machine works, and works well, but it really isn't an excuse for making a board's storage soldered and unrecoverable. 

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The new 13" Models are actually amazing machines now and nobody want's to give Apple credit for that because its not trendy. 

Likely because all eyes are on the 15", specifically the 8950HK config 

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Then they must, god forbid, make the machine larger. A soldered unrecoverable-if-the-board-dies storage device is NOT what I'd consider professional.

Yes, time machine works, and works well, but it really isn't an excuse for making a board's storage soldered and unrecoverable. 

Well, when you are Apple, the depth of the Drives retention screw is the difference between the thickness of the 2015 MBP and the 2016 MBP. Pros were going to have at least single redundancy anyway so while I don't think it was a good idea to remove the data recovery port, I also know it was a calculated risk with the infrastructure for it to not really be an issue having already been in place since OSX Leopard. 

i don;t care if they solder their SSD, but goddamn at least keep the recovery port, seems like a real dumb move

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

12 hours ago, 2FA said:

Any other brand of laptop with encryption will have the same exact issue. Crucifying Apple over better security is comical.

Other brands may choose to bind that encryption to the user's password or fingerprint...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Time Machine! Time Machine! Time Machine! Time Machine! Time Machine! Time Machine! 

Hourly (or however often you want) incremental full system imagines that back up literally everything about your system. Coming to Windows 10, never. 

Yes and you could cool your mbp with an air conditioner but that's not the case... 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.