2018 Macbook Pro Touchbar has NO Data Recovery Port!

iamdarkyoshi
14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes, it's fantastic from what I've seen and people need to use it.  Windows should just make something like it, afaik, there's no technical reason they couldn't (Windows and NTFS apparently supports multiple hardlinks, although I've never witnessed or used it myself), but perhaps it's patented or something.

As far as I know there is a technological limitation with how the registry was designed all those many years ago that prevent reliable backups of 3rd party apps. Something that UNIX based macOS doesn’t have to deal with. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

48 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

hmm, i wonder if there's a emergency target disk mode via the thunderbolt ports where the owner could access the data with TouchID or the system password (different from the hardware key) while the main system is practically bricked o_o

Target Disk Mode has existed for years. Though I believe the machine needs to be bootable. Any component of the machine could be dead, just as long as it is able to software boot it should work. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

As far as I know there is a technological limitation with how the registry was designed all those many years ago that prevent reliable backups of 3rd party apps. Something that UNIX based macOS doesn’t have to deal with. 

Oh, yeah backing up the whole system just as files is basically not a thing... forgot about that.  I was thinking just with respect to backing up user files

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

23 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Windows should just make something like it,

They did, Automatic Backup, and it goes back to at least Windows XP SP3.

Basic automatic backup being just user files. Automatic System Restore Points being copies of the entire system as it is at the of back up. It can be set up to automatically back up by calendar day, timed intervals, or when a designated disk is attached.

Same exact functionality as Time Machine.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

They did, Automatic Backup, and it goes back to at least Windows XP SP3.

Basic automatic backup being just user files. Automatic System Restore Points being copies of the entire system as it is at the of back up. It can be set up to automatically back up by calendar day, timed intervals, or when a designated disk is attached.

Same exact functionality as Time Machine.

I remember using the backup tool in Windows 7 (just for files mind you) and it was complete garbage.  For one thing, it would pack up all of the files in zips managed by the tool rather than just making a simple copy you could easily navigate on any device.  Additionally, every time you ran it, it would copy everything, not just what had changed.  I can't imagine how bad the system tool was if it can't even get simple files right.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I remember using the backup tool in Windows 7 (just for files mind you) and it was complete garbage.  For one thing, it would pack up all of the files in zips managed by the tool rather than just making a simple copy you could easily navigate on any device.  Additionally, every time you ran it, it would copy everything, not just what had changed.  I can't imagine how bad the system tool was if it can't even get simple files right.

I think even many in the enterprise doesn’t use the built in back up tools in Windows. Carbonite is one good example though expensive https://www.carbonite.com/ 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I think even many in the enterprise doesn’t use the built in back up tools in Windows. Carbonite is one good example though expensive https://www.carbonite.com/ 

Yeah I would imagine corporations use some combination of professional software and custom tools

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've been using the tool yearly to semi yearly since my first Win XP build in 2012.

What you've described is literally the utmost basic methodology of using the tool.

I create a perfect system image, user files and all, any system running the same or newer version of Windows can import it and make it as of it were the original computer. It supports versioning too.

I can also create a system restore disc/point that is just OS, settings, and all my programs.

It might not be one click easy, but I find it to be better for making a library of backups and overall management.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

53 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No. They were removable drives but they were not M.2. They were special PCIe drives. 

Öhm, well:

there are solutions for that...

So no, its just a proprietary version of M.2

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

Öhm, well:

Adapters are not M.2 drives

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Adapters are not M.2 drives

no but they prove that its electrically compatibler and only a passive adapter is needed to convert that stuff. 

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

14 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I've been using the tool yearly to semi yearly since my first Win XP build in 2012.

What you've described is literally the utmost basic methodology of using the tool.

I create a perfect system image, user files and all, any system running the same or newer version of Windows can import it and make it as of it were the original computer. It supports versioning too.

I can also create a system restore disc/point that is just OS, settings, and all my programs.

It might not be one click easy, but I find it to be better for making a library of backups and overall management.

The full disk image is the closest thing it has to the ease and all-encompassing functionality of Time Machine, but with some obvious draw backs.  Because it's all one file, again, incremental changes are not possible, and this results in either not having a history, or taking up way more space.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The full disk image is the closest thing it has to the ease and all-encompassing functionality of Time Machine, but with some obvious draw backs.  Because it's all one file, again, incremental changes are not possible, and this results in either not having a history, or taking up way more space.

I'm just going to say this:

My impression of Time Machine, much like most of OSX's defaults, is that it assumes the user is an idiot that needs the simplest thing possible. There is no choice.

Whereas Windows offers reasonably simple options that'll also do reasonably comprehensive, and the user has a choice of how they want to do things.

Also, any time someone says Windows should adopt x OSX feature, or OSX does x thing better, all I hear is that that particular someone knows jack shit about Windows.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The new 13" Models are actually amazing machines now and nobody want's to give Apple credit for that because its not trendy. 

Sure they might be a good machine but there are better performers (see XPS 13) at lower prices

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Sure they might be a good machine but there are better performers (see XPS 13) at lower prices

The new 13" MacBook Pros have stronger graphics and more powerful CPUs in them because Apple allows them to really open up. 

Dell actually lost the battle this year. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

The new 13" MacBook Pros have stronger graphics and more powerful CPUs in them because Apple allows them to really open up. 

Dell actually lost the battle this year. 

And yet the XPS continues to be cheaper, have thinner bezels, and has M.2 storage instead of Apple's proprietary bullshit

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

4 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

And yet the XPS continues to be cheaper, have thinner bezels, and has M.2 storage instead of Apple's proprietary bullshit

All while performing worse in CPU tasks, having weak IntelUHD graphics, smaller display, and having worse battery life. 

1 hour ago, 2FA said:

Until they run into an issue where they fuck themselves over by not having backups and lose millions of dollars.

Well most businesses see the upfront cost and say no. Thats the problem with business and their IT relationships. IT cost a lot and that is money that could be going in employee pockets. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

All while performing worse in CPU tasks, having weak IntelUHD graphics, smaller display, and having worse battery life. 

All without an SD card reader on a "pro" laptop

She/they 

Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

All without an SD card reader on a "pro" laptop

Lol

Suggesting that a machine needs an SD card to be considered pro when the machine with the SD card is significantly weaker than the one without the SD card. 

18 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Lol

Suggesting that a machine needs an SD card to be considered pro when the machine with the SD card is significantly weaker than the one without the SD card. 

A "pro" laptop should have more than 2 ports.

Aside from that the Dell has a smaller bezel with a 4K display,and the SSD isn't soldered,lol. if you want actual CPU power with decent graphics you won't be doing it on a 13" laptop anyway.

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A "pro" laptop should have more than 2 ports.

Aside from that the Dell has a smaller bezel with a 4K display,and the SSD isn't soldered,lol. if you want actual CPU power with decent graphics you won't be doing it on a 13" laptop anyway.

4K display= very poor graphics experience and even worse battery life. 

Also the 13” MBPs use Intels new 8th gen 4C/8T CPUs which are clocked high and are given the power they want and don’t thermal throttle. 

Also Also the 13” TB models (the one I’m talking about) have 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports. Not 2. 

6 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

What professional doesn’t have a backup of their data? Data protection 101, have a backup

While I do agree that backups are important, not everyone has the time to backup everything daily.

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

While I do agree that backups are important, not everyone has the time to backup everything daily.

I made a script for my parents business that backups the files (its a photography business) after the PC has been idle for 10mins. Meaning backups are basically seamless. 

2 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Yeah but their non-proprietary drives are also slower ??‍♂️

13 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

If your data is so critical that the loss of it is catastrophic, then you will have to make time to back it up, otherwise expect to lose it. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB