2018 macbook pro runs faster if you limit the cpu via software

Sauron
3 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Laptop weight and thickness is a significant factor in purchasing decision of laptops. The Aorus was created to decrease the size and weight of gaming laptops.

They would not have cared to make such a laptop if nobody minded big, heavy laptops.

The macbook is significantly smaller and lighter than the Aorus. The kind of people buying a macbook would buy a dell xps not a aorus.

I was absolutely fine with the form factor of 2015 Macbook Pros. Nobody asked for it to be thinner.

2 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

I was absolutely fine with the form factor of 2015 Macbook Pros. Nobody asked for it to be thinner.

I will personally tweet Tim Cook to ask for your approval next time they redesign the macbook since you think the world revolves around your opinion

1 minute ago, avg123 said:

I will personally tweet Tim Cook to ask for your approval next time they redesign the macbook since you think the world revolves around your opinion

Please do. Maybe they start listening.

4 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

I actually quite liked the size of the 2008-2012 MacBook Pros.

It wasn't too bulky but it also wasn't too slim to the point of feeling delicate. It was juuuuust right.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Actually, a lot of people (predominantly pros and power users) share the same opinion.

The entire MacBook Pro range didn't have to be thinner. The MacBook 12" and the MacBook Air (although really outdated now) existed for people who wanted an ultraportable Mac. They can make a Macbook Pro variant that was more compact, but IMHO, the MacBook Pro should be focused on power, performance and features relative to its namesake while being in a reasonably compact chassis that was portable enough to carry around easily yet still allowed beefy components inside and allowing them to run without overly sacrificing performance.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, avg123 said:

You will never hear about the outrage over Razer Wifi issue on the internet because it is not Apple

No, because nobody will tell you that you're an idiot and using it wrong. Look at the Louis Rossmann video!

And of course we ain't talking about a "cheap" 2600€ Notebook we are talking about a 3300€ to 8000€ device...

That might also be a reason why people flame Apple a bit more because they take more money! and with more money comes higher expectations!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, because nobody will tell you that you're an idiot and using it wrong. Look at the Louis Rossmann video!

And of course we ain't talking about a "cheap" 2600€ Notebook we are talking about a 3300€ to 8000€ device...

That might also be a reason why people flame Apple a bit more because they take more money! and with more money comes higher expectations!

To be frank, the Razer laptop ain't cheap either.

And the Razer Blade is probably one of the most disliked laptops this forum has seen.....and for very good reasons.

18 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

To be frank, the Razer laptop ain't cheap either.

And the Razer Blade is probably one of the most disliked laptops this forum has seen.....and for very good reasons.

Yes and nobody disagrees and tells you that its not made for gaming/rendering/whatever and you're doin it wrong...

That was the point. And the MACBOOC i9 is 50% more at least. And can go up to 8 grand...

And for 8 Grand you won't accept a Notebook throtteling.

So this is a huge issue and people feel ripped off because they want a good, high quality notebook of Workstation Quality. But they don't get that although they pay more...

Now look at this:

https://geizhals.de/dell-xps-15-9570-2018-touch-v73rw-a1827351.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

"just" 3500€.

The Macbook with the same amount of RAM and SSD is 1000€ more....

Not disagreeing.

The problem is that the number of people who feel ripped off isn't much precisely because

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

tells you that its not made for gaming/rendering/whatever and you're doin it wrong...

1 hour ago, avg123 said:

Are you seriously comparing THAT laptop with a macbook?

The lid of that laptop is thicker than the macbook.

If that is what is required to run a i9 without throttling, you cannot blame the macbook for throttling.

Who wants to carry a brick like that?

And even a throttling i9 mac is faster than the i7.

what i was doing is answering him and in the sequence of some other posts we did. what you are doing is answering something without bothering to read the topic. So it's no wonder you had no clue what was being discussed.

Besides it's not me comparing, it's the dude in the video. He's on the 1st post of the original topic about this in the forum starting this discussion

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

I've seen janitors who own iPhones so it's plain wrong, too.

Dont know about whether its wrong or not , just that its an arrogant statement . 

Im perfectly fine with my Honor 8 , and a Windows PC for what i need . I can get myself a nice Macbook pro , since i do fancy my mousepad heated . 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

Jeez, Apple has invested considerable resources into their website. I have to give them props for that, even if the information density is terrible (at least, on my low-res displays.)

From what I gather of Turbo Boost, it is a "bonus" for those with adequately equipped cooling systems, and not a given. The base speed listed on the site is 2.9 GHz, though there is no guarantee anywhere that it will maintain such speeds. This mirrors the trend in high clocked smartphone processors where reducing speeds are a primary means of controlling temperature, vs relying on the fan and emergency throttling. For a highly portable format like the MacBook 12" (I actually like the 12", shoot me), this type of cooling is fine where performance is only needed in bursts, though hardly ideal for sustained workloads, as would be expected of a MacBook "Pro"

I suppose this is a viable means of cramming an i9 into such a chassis, though so impractical as to not be a worthwhile option at all. I suppose users living in cold regions during winter can get some value out of the additional $300 though.

Considering that Apple had Intel make them a small package Core 2 Duo back in the days of the first MacBook Air, it surprises me somewhat that Intel does not provide some highly binned, low voltage/undervolted chips for use (unless we're already at the limit), or perhaps a reduced base clock sku (with altered Turbo profiles?) specific for Apple. Seems to me this would be something Apple would have asked for in the past. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

From what I gather of Turbo Boost, it is a "bonus" for those with adequately equipped cooling systems, and not a given. The base speed listed on the site is 2.9 GHz, though there is no guarantee anywhere that it will maintain such speeds. This mirrors the trend in high clocked smartphone processors where reducing speeds are a primary means of controlling temperature, vs relying on the fan and emergency throttling. For a highly portable format like the MacBook 12" (I actually like the 12", shoot me), this type of cooling is fine where performance is only needed in bursts, though hardly ideal for sustained workloads, as would be expected of a MacBook "Pro"

Apple describe Turbo Boost as "up to" and thus do not guarantee that it will be reached while not using this terminology with the base clock. A class action lawsuit would have the point that Apple explicitly advertised the base clock and that a customer would not have been informed in any way that the product would not live up to expectations.

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I suppose this is a viable means of cramming an i9 into such a chassis, though so impractical as to not be a worthwhile option at all. I suppose users living in cold regions during winter can get some value out of the additional $300 though.

The cooling solution is actually the limiting factor (if we assume users want their $5000 laptop to survive). To keep the CPU below the thermal trip temperature thermal energy must be moved away from the CPU and to the surroundings at the rate the cooling can achieve and no more. The user may also be colder due to the lack of insulating cash after the purchase.

4 hours ago, avg123 said:

A flood of twitter messages highlighting this issue may actually force them to make the next iteration thicker just as the new switches are designed to remain dust free.

If they do it will once again be "We had the Courage™ to make it thicker, we had the Courage™  to make it work as intended".

a $4000 paperweight, cool

well, hot.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

What is this bad mindset that some have? "you can't blame apple for it thermal throttling" Ofc I can, they made the laptop, if they can't cool the hardware, then they shouldn't use the hardware, it is that simple. Having a laptop that gets this hot so fast and no real airflow inside of it is just asking for dead parts. The heat doesn't just affect your CPU and GPU, it affects everything in the laptop. If your CPU is hot, then you bet your ass the mosfets, VRM, resistors and so on is too. One of the most common reasons for macbooks to die is heat, I have fixed countless macbooks that have had broken parts because of heat.

Keep in mind all macbooks thermal throttle, not just the i9 model.

Also this doesn't just affect the macbook, when other manufacturer sees that people accept this, then they will also start to making half-assed solutions, which then makes it harder for people that actually need the full performance to find a laptop that can give them the full performance.

I don't understand the people that go "well this is okay" no it isn't, it hurts everyone. It all stems from the people that just want to show off specs and want a thin laptop, they don't actually need the performance the hardware has because if they did then they wouldn't be buying machines that thermal throttled. So instead of buying like a ultrabook or whatever, then they decide to ruin the market for people that need the performance by making manufacturer think that thin laptops with thermal throttling hardware is just amazing.

Also Linus made a livestream where he showed how fast he got it to thermal throttle with what he called a normal workload. I have seen a lot of engineering students that have macbooks with dual boot and I am willing to bet that the i9 model will thermal throttle hard under one of my light CAD workloads.

This just screams half-asssed, the engineers slept during their classes. For what this machine cost the flaws are unacceptable, I 100% agree with the OP. If I put down 6k then the laptop better be basically perfect, no major flaws, hell I expect that once I start getting up in the 1500-2000 USD range.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

The cognitive bias and clutching at straws is strong in this thread.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

In the case of Mac power users, I think those are the people who care about such things. 

As for the ones who act hipster at the local Starbucks, probably not 

Ah so people working on Macs in Starbucks are hipsters but people using their Windows PCs are just everyday people doing their work? 

6 hours ago, josencarnacao said:

And no one will care for the larger/heavier specs, 'cause they will be able to make more money out of it.
Unless they have osteoporosis, sliped discs or other medical condition that makes ALL the difference in the world to justify purchasing a scam.

First off, it’s not a scam. 

Secondly im a uni student with a CompSci major and I have textbooks I need to carry around. A thin and light laptop is greatly appreciated like honestly people like you piss me off to no end. 

Just becahse you value specs over portability IN A LAPTOP doesn’t mean others do as well. Why do you think the XPS lineup exists? 

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

What is this bad mindset that some have? "you can't blame apple for it thermal throttling" Ofc I can, they made the laptop, if they can't cool the hardware, then they shouldn't use the hardware, it is that simple.

Exactly that is the Problem!
If they mess up the device, they need to be called out.
Look at this Video, that is the problem and leads to shitty hardware!

And that is what the people are missing.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

Keep in mind all macbooks thermal throttle, not just the i9 model.

Yes, because the form factor of those devices is just utter bullshit.

You can use that with low power components like a 5W TDP CPU, maybe even 15W. 

But not a 45W TDP CPU with an additional graphics card. That is like asking for trouble. 

But the design over function philosophy of apple doesn't make sense for such high end, high performance systems. There might be a solution for that -> using the bottom as a heatsink. But they don't do that. And its pretty hard (and expensive) to do. So you want normal heatsink and a good airflow inside the device. You don't have either.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

I don't understand the people that go "well this is okay" no it isn't, it hurts everyone. It all stems from the people that just want to show off specs and want a thin laptop, they don't actually need the performance the hardware has because if they did then they wouldn't be buying machines that thermal throttled. So instead of buying like a ultrabook or whatever, then they decide to ruin the market for people that need the performance by making manufacturer think that thin laptops with thermal throttling hardware is just amazing.

totally agree. 

Your statement is totally on point!

Couldn't have said it better.

And its sad that the IT Market is so broken and you don't find good hardware for good prices...

If you want the performance and a device that renders, is there an alternative to a Thinkpad??

3 hours ago, TechGod said:

Ah so people working on Macs in Starbucks are hipsters but people using their Windows PCs are just everyday people doing their work? 

Again, you missed the joke >_>

(In case you didn’t know, that’s a common term to poke fun at people who buy a Mac just because it’s made by Apple and not because they like the OS or anything like that)

Why do you think the XPS lineup exists? 

Because Dell is trying to win over some of Apple's less extreme cultists.

A thin and light laptop is greatly appreciated

We're long past diminished returns on the "thin and light" bullshit.

At this point, if most current laptops are too heavy for you, the problem is you, not the weight of the laptop.

Just becahse you value specs over portability IN A LAPTOP doesn’t mean others do as well.

Again, the portability thing is a dead horse when it comes to laptops. The current MBPs are no more portable than laptops twice its size and weight. But they're sure as hell weaker, both in performance and build.

Then there's the fact that Apple is trying to do both, and as they've been in the past few years, failing.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Some more stuff

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)