2018 macbook pro runs faster if you limit the cpu via software

Sauron
11 minutes ago, avg123 said:

If the HP yrhdheu4586y laptop or the Dell fhgfex77656 laptop had the same problem, nobody would even notice. There would be no "outrage" all over the internet. It seems it has become cool to hate on Apple by people who can never afford an apple product.

It is only news because it is apple.

There are other laptops with similar issues 

I pointed those out in another thread. It’s just that the Mac is made by Apple, and when something is up with them, it’s bound to be big 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

There are other laptops with similar issues 

I pointed those out in another thread. It’s just that the Mac is made by Apple, and when something is up with them, it’s bound to be big 

You will never hear about the outrage over Razer Wifi issue on the internet because it is not Apple

8 minutes ago, avg123 said:

You will never hear about the outrage over Razer Wifi issue on the internet because it is not Apple

Yep, this forum is almost never fair. Sure you will get some people to call out other companies when they do something bad, but you will never see the same level of condemnation for other companies that you will for Apple. 

I'm not excusing the i9 situation, but people get a little too tunnel visioned, and that is exactly what is happening here. 

Where were the threads about all the other laptops that are also thermal throttling because they put Core i9s in ultrabooks? Oh, right, they aren't made by Apple so by default its "not as bad."

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, avg123 said:

If the HP yrhdheu4586y laptop or the Dell fhgfex77656 laptop had the same problem, nobody would even notice. There would be no "outrage" all over the internet. It seems it has become cool to hate on Apple by people who can never afford an apple product.

That's not true and this forum is proof. If you look through the history of the news section you'll see PLENTY of laptops (and other devices) get periodically slammed for poor cooling, design or performance. The latest example I can think of is the surface book 2. And yes, because of Apple's popularity more outlets will run experiments like these on macbooks - I can't test every laptop on the market to see how it compares, if tech websites don't test them I can't talk about it.

And even if we truly only cared because it's Apple, that's the weakest excuse for their flaws I could possibly think of... "yeah, it's garbage, but you should't care!"

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Apple is the most valued company in the world, they can reap what they've sown tyvm.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

38 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Why didn't you post a news topic about this when it happened? In fact, I'll post it now because I think it's newsworthy, but not everything reaches everyone's ears. Apple has plenty of dedicated outlets that focus on them specifically and, if nothing else, this sort of information is extremely easy to come by for Apple customers - which is a good thing. If we had razer centric publications I'm sure we'd have heard a lot more about this.

-edit-

I can't find any sources (other than this guy) complaining about wifi issues with the 2018 razer blade so that news post is on hold...

-/edit-

28 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yep, this forum is almost never fair. Sure you will get some people to call out other companies when they do something bad, but you will never see the same level of condemnation for other companies that you will for Apple. 

I'm not excusing the i9 situation, but people get a little too tunnel visioned, and that is exactly what is happening here. 

Where were the threads about all the other laptops that are also thermal throttling because they put Core i9s in ultrabooks? Oh, right, they aren't made by Apple so by default its "not as bad."

Uhm, again, why didn't you make those topics?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Are the majority of Mac users technically inclined to do so?
How much knowledge for "tinkering" do Mac enthusiasts have? (Hardware/Software Enthusiasts that give a damn to do this)

*Genuine Q?

Some buyers,.. wouldn't even check Youtubes/follow-ups for the i9, purchase and head in the clouds figuring its working just fine.. cos it will. "Work" just fine, just not as fast as it should.

I'd say those who buy a Mac for the legitimately useful tools for audio production, Final Cut, whatever are probably technically inclined enough to do 15 minutes of undervolting but they're a minority of Mac users - most of them are people who don't know any better and think Macs "don't get viruses" or whatever BS excuses people make to waste their money these days

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

it's a high performance product it shouldn't be limited, if you do you might as well by a cheaper model. :P

Apple's reasoning is sound. They just shouldn't have used that CPU in such a small case, i'm curious to see who else if anyone uses it on a laptop and how it looks like. Probably shouldn't exist as a laptop CPU except for those high end gigantic gaming laptops, that are not very portable.

It's practically in every high end gaming laptop. Some throttle, some don't. 

It's also used in similar MBP style laptops like Dell XPS 15 and Asus Zenbook Pro 15.

The XPS throttles but it does that with i7 processors too. Zenbook throttles too but can boost for a short while before hitting base. 

It should be noted they throttle to various degrees. I think the gaming laptops can keep some boost while the 'premium productivity' laptops run at base after a short while.

I'm just going off memory here so there may be some inaccuracies.

The MacBooks have no checks to power and thermals except when it hits the 100 degree wall then it actually starts to do something but by then it's too late. And it'll keep choking itself every time the temps drop. It's so stupid and simplistic in its implementation that you can't believe the same company managed to squeeze so much out of their iPhones.

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Uhm, again, why didn't you make those topics?

Because I am not privy to making news topics whenever I hear news.....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Then don't complain when other people only post news they heard about...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

...unless it's praising Apple, in which case I'd be shocked if our resident Apple fanboy wasn't the first to bat on a news thread

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

2 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

...unless it's praising Apple, in which case I'd be shocked if our resident Apple fanboy wasn't the first to bat on a news thread

Gotta balance out the hate ;)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Gotta balance out the hate ;)

Unless it's deserved which it usually is with Apple - They can't even choose parts for their own laptops properly! Not to mention the right-to-repair shit

She/they 

54 minutes ago, avg123 said:

It's news because:

Apple is shifting blame.

The top tier product is performing worse than older, lower tier products.

It was known that using the same cooling system, which was already pushed past its limits, wouldn't cut it.

Apple is the only one not power limiting their machines to a safe range.

Apple is the worst offender of this.

And because it's more relevant that one of a handful of MBPs thermal throttle to hell than it is of one of Dell's dozens of models.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

New developments in this story

Its all been fake news until now.

The i9 models are faster than i7 models, even with throttling. 

so far what I've seen is nothing new really... I've NEVER gotten no throttling from any macbook ive used since like 2010

IMO things should throttle at all unless in a non-ideal enviornment (If im using my laptop outside on a 90F day sure... I can understand that). but in a temp controlled normal enviornment... it shouldn't throttle. I should always get what im expecting from it. 

The i9 in a body that could barely manage the heat from a dual core i5 for more than a minute or two was just a bad idea. plain and simple. hopefully apple starts to fix their mistakes instead of creating new ones. It's gonna happen someday im sure...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

My thoughts on that new laptop from Apple: It's a scam.

It can be 15% faster as Marques Brownlee showed in his video today, but it's criminal selling a product that is announced to get at 4.8 Ghz as a feature, when you can only use it for 5 seconds at most??

Someone should sue Apple for initiating a scam-sell like this.

And furthermore... the Intel processor included is sold as being unlocked. What good is it for? To get 1 second instead of 5 ?

It's abominable, and it'll be ilucidative to clear out who is a fanboy and mindless... and who is a White Knight for Apple.

APPLE and Anyone that buys their products... let's just say that all I have to say infringes this Forums Policy, so I'm not gonna say it.

Take care, and take care of somebody else.
George Carlin: Jammin' in New York 1992

</>

48 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I think you haven't experienced the deeper ends.

I've been keeping track of the products people like. There are a fair number of people here who like their Apple products.

Meanwhile, I see thread after thread of issues with the Razer Blade. There's barely any praise for it, hence probably why it's one of the least recommended products this forum has seen.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

New developments in this story

Its all been fake news until now.

"that test was pushing a 6000$ machine to its limit so it doesn't count"

This doesn't change the fact that the performance increase is minimal compared to what you'd expect from adding 2 full cores and running them at a higher frequency, it doesn't excuse the fact that you can use a software tweak that takes 10 seconds to set up to increase that performance by 20%, it doesn't mean the cooling is anywhere near adequate for what they're actually selling.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, avg123 said:

Quite an arrogant statement there , dont you think ?

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

If it goes below baseclock, it's false advertising right?

Isn't that the POINT of baseclocks.....

iE Thats what you get guaranteed for your cash., never below baseclock?

Google - What is Baseclock?

Search Results

The Base Clock is the absolute minimum frequency the device will run at. The Boost Clock is the frequency that the card will "boost" up to when it is running at a suitable temperature.

So if it's NOT IDLE,..and under BASECLOCK,... it's a piece of HOT Falsely Advertised Garbage!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

"that test was pushing a 6000$ machine to its limit so it doesn't count"

This doesn't change the fact that the performance increase is minimal compared to what you'd expect from adding 2 full cores and running them at a higher frequency, it doesn't excuse the fact that you can use a software tweak that takes 10 seconds to set up to increase that performance by 20%, it doesn't mean the cooling is anywhere near adequate for what they're actually selling.

Did you watch the video? He addresses every grievance with the Core i9 MacBook Pros. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Dingle said:

Quite an arrogant statement there , dont you think ?

I've seen janitors who own iPhones so it's plain wrong, too.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, josencarnacao said:

My thoughts on that new laptop from Apple:

It's a scam. It can be 15% faster as Marques Brownlee showed in his video today, but it's criminal selling a product that is announced to get at 4.8 Ghz as a feature, when you can only use it for 5 seconds at most??

Someone should sue Apple for initiating a scam-sell like this.

And furthermore... the Intel processor is sold as being unlocked. What good is it for? To get 1 second instead of 5 ?

APPLE and Anyone that buys their products... let's just say that all I have to say infringes this Forums Policy, so I'm not gonna say it.

Apple did not design the i9 processor. Apple is only quoting the manufacturer specs. i9 macbook contains a processor capable upto 4.8 ghz processor.

If intel said the i9 processor turbo at 4.8ghz and it did not, then it would be a scam.

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

If it goes below baseclock, it's false advertising right?

Isn't that the POINT of baseclocks.....

iE Thats what you get guaranteed for your cash., never below baseclock?

No, its not false advertising. It can hit base clocks, it can hit boost clocks. How long it maintains those are not part of Apples marketing. 

You would have to find some sort of legal precedent to say what you are saying.