Review of a $100 (counterfeit) iPhone X

OneMoreB

Jason Koebler wrote an article over on Vice about a $100 counterfeit iPhone X from Shenzhen, China. Interested in the legitimacy of it, and what makes it so cheap, he bought one, and did some research about what makes it tick. His first impressions were quite good, a well-made box, similar form factor, boot screen, lock screen, and home screen. The phone included all of the default apps as a standard iPhone, with most of them looking identical.

However, there was more than meets the eye once you look a bit closer. The device was "sluggish and underpowered while switching apps. The camera is [also] kinda blurry." The faceID system was more of a face detection system instead of a face recognition system, allowing anyone's face to unlock the device once set up. The App Store looked the same, however upon crashing, it claimed it was called the "Google Play Store". Other app oddities were also discovered, such as:

The “Weather” app is just Yahoo! Weather. The Health App is a third party thing that asked me to click cartoon avatars selecting whether I was a “boy or girl.” The “Podcasts” app just opens YouTube. Apple Maps opens Google Maps.

At this point, it's becoming quite evident that this is just a reskinned Android phone. However, Koebler still wanted to know more. So he brought it to a security firm in New York City. They discovered that "the phone is also loaded with backdoors and malicious apps". The fake stock apps such as Compass, Stocks, and Clock request permissions such as reading text messages, although it is unclear if the developers were trying to be terrible people, or just awful at their jobs. They also discovered that the "iOS" was actually Android Marshmallow.

Opening up the phone, it is clear why the phone is so cheap. There's no haptic engine, no faceID sensor bar, and a standard battery, rather than the dual cell found in the X. All of the components are secured with rivets, and there is quite a bit of empty space compared to the original iPhone (see below).

image.png.2747b0fd53c37bd159064b8dd9e3b8a0.pngimage.png.09d87ce459484d959d5bdc52e934d278.png

Inside an iPhone X (left), inside the fake iPhone (right) images: vice.com

This device is certainly interesting, however neither Koebler or myself would recommend buying this device for the intent of using it as a phone. And I think most people with half a brain would also agree. However, it is a marvel of modern technology, and an interesting case about how much brand recognition and product identity that apple users place in their products.

Source: Vice.com

https://motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/qvmkdd/counterfeit-iphone-x-review-and-teardown

this is nothing new. there's knockoffs like this for every new iphone that comes out pretty much...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

My retired $50 phone is better. Yay?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, James Evens said:

one question: why is this tech news?

- no news

- no hardcore click bait

I mean the section used to be called Tech News and Reviews, so maybe OP didn't notice the change

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I thought this subforum is no longer "Tech News & Reviews" but renamed as "Tech News" only?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I'd be interested if it was actually a knock off of an iPhone X....but the phone doesn't even remotely look like one.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Considering the proliferation of aftermarket repair parts in China, and one vlogger's successful attempt to build his own iPhone from those parts, it actually surprises me that we aren't seeing a truly counterfeit iPhone running iOS yet.

Haha this is actually quite funny. It has a "notch" in the screen like the iPhone X, but it also has bezels top and bottom, making the notch useless or at least unnecessary.

The more interesting question is: what is the market for these phones? I mean, it is not a good enough fake of the software  or hardware to fool anyone. So what is the market for these items? People wanting to use a cheap phone that just looks like an iPhone for bragging rights? Or are they really trying to scam people and hoping to get away with it?

6 hours ago, maartendc said:

Haha this is actually quite funny. It has a "notch" in the screen like the iPhone X, but it also has bezels top and bottom, making the notch useless or at least unnecessary.

The more interesting question is: what is the market for these phones? I mean, it is not a good enough fake of the software  or hardware to fool anyone. So what is the market for these items? People wanting to use a cheap phone that just looks like an iPhone for bragging rights? Or are they really trying to scam people and hoping to get away with it?

You’d be surprised how easy it is to scam sales people at big stores like Wal*Mart, Staples or Best Buy. The personnel there isn’t very trained and doesn’t care that much due to low wages. Returns are done so fast without much thought. Buy an iPhone X, return (fake) iPhone X. Profit. 

However, the iPhone X is a very expensive item so it is protocol for store managers who get payed more and really care to carefully inspect returns worth several hundreds of dollars or more. 

So...it’s very unlikely that you’ll get away with it. But if the inspection of the phone takes a few seconds there’s a chance. It takes guts to pull that scam off. 

6 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

You’d be surprised how easy it is to scam sales people at big stores like Wal*Mart, Staples or Best Buy. The personnel there isn’t very trained and doesn’t care that much due to low wages. Returns are done so fast without much thought. Buy an iPhone X, return (fake) iPhone X. Profit. 

However, the iPhone X is a very expensive item so it is protocol for store managers who get payed more and really care to carefully inspect returns worth several hundreds of dollars or more. 

So...it’s very unlikely that you’ll get away with it. But if the inspection of the phone takes a few seconds there’s a chance. It takes guts to pull that scam off. 

Most retailers are usually quite strict with Apple stuff -- e.g. unopened or with a receipt (and if with a receipt, then often with a matching serial number).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Most retailers are usually quite strict with Apple stuff -- e.g. unopened or with a receipt (and if with a receipt, then often with a matching serial number).

So the chance is essentially 0. Using serial numbers is very smart. I didn’t consider that.

On 21-7-2018 at 3:07 AM, kokakolia said:

It takes guts to pull that scam off. 

You'd be surprised what people are capable of when there is money involved.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:28 PM, OneMoreB said:

Jason Koebler wrote an article over on Vice about a $100 counterfeit iPhone X from Shenzhen, China. Interested in the legitimacy of it, and what makes it so cheap, he bought one, and did some research about what makes it tick. His first impressions were quite good, a well-made box, similar form factor, boot screen, lock screen, and home screen. The phone included all of the default apps as a standard iPhone, with most of them looking identical.

However, there was more than meets the eye once you look a bit closer. The device was "sluggish and underpowered while switching apps. The camera is [also] kinda blurry." The faceID system was more of a face detection system instead of a face recognition system, allowing anyone's face to unlock the device once set up. The App Store looked the same, however upon crashing, it claimed it was called the "Google Play Store". Other app oddities were also discovered, such as:

At this point, it's becoming quite evident that this is just a reskinned Android phone. However, Koebler still wanted to know more. So he brought it to a security firm in New York City. They discovered that "the phone is also loaded with backdoors and malicious apps". The fake stock apps such as Compass, Stocks, and Clock request permissions such as reading text messages, although it is unclear if the developers were trying to be terrible people, or just awful at their jobs. They also discovered that the "iOS" was actually Android Marshmallow.

Opening up the phone, it is clear why the phone is so cheap. There's no haptic engine, no faceID sensor bar, and a standard battery, rather than the dual cell found in the X. All of the components are secured with rivets, and there is quite a bit of empty space compared to the original iPhone (see below).

image.png.2747b0fd53c37bd159064b8dd9e3b8a0.pngimage.png.09d87ce459484d959d5bdc52e934d278.png

Inside an iPhone X (left), inside the fake iPhone (right) images: vice.com

This device is certainly interesting, however neither Koebler or myself would recommend buying this device for the intent of using it as a phone. And I think most people with half a brain would also agree. However, it is a marvel of modern technology, and an interesting case about how much brand recognition and product identity that apple users place in their products.

Source: Vice.com

https://motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/qvmkdd/counterfeit-iphone-x-review-and-teardown

Chinese counterfeits just about anything, from baby powder, eggs, watches, shoes, to American McDonalds.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, James Evens said:

With the little difference that the knock off McDonalds is cheaper and better then the genuine. As for eggs i am not aware of fakes. How do you could even fake a egg cheaper then just producing it with a chicken?

The baby milk problem was straight up stupidity. They forgot to check for impurities.

They are very innovative when creating counterfeits. I wonder why they can't put those scientific and busssiness ingenuity to proper use and actually create products that consumers want. This is what happens when society is too materistic and greedy, combined with lax regulations and corruptions can do. 

Sudo make me a sandwich