is my tap water safe to drink?

spartaman64

I would say no, but that’s just me giving the benefit of the doubt. 

I wouldn’t drink water with lead in it. Especially above the averages. 

It's probably fine.

Looking purely at lead content , it's well within the margins set by the EPA , but higher than average to be sure.

I compared the values to what we have here in france , we personally have a 10ppb limit on lead for drinking water , but it used to be 25ppb up until 2014.

The reality is that there's always going to be some lead in water because it's fairly common in nature.

If you don't feel comfortable drinking tap water like that ( which i can understand ) , consider investing into a water filter.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Normally, yes...maybe not that. @Coaxialgamer said it's fine, though.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

Looks to be within the safe limits so I guess so?  You could always distill it if you really want to though.  Note distilling is different than boiling.  Boiling will kill bacteria but anything in it stays in it.  Distilling means turning it into a cloud, which is pure water, and then turning it back into water elsewhere, leaving everything in it behind.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If you reside in a first world country, probably. If you are in third world, DONT DRINK TAP WATER

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Looks to be within the safe limits so I guess so?  You could always distill it if you really want to though.  Note distilling is different than boiling.  Boiling will kill bacteria but anything in it stays in it.  Distilling means turning it into a cloud, which is pure water, and then turning it back into water elsewhere, leaving everything in it behind.

If you want purified water without building a still, you could more practically buy a reverse osmosis water filter...

11 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

image.png.a82317d18860e57781381c05e0eb13a1.png

Just get a normal carbon based filtering system. There are some very good whole house filters on the market like the one i have.

If its just a concern about the water for cooking with and drinking, then a sink mount or undersink filter is probs good enough. Whats your budget?

34 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

If you want purified water without building a still, you could more practically buy a reverse osmosis water filter...

Just get a normal carbon based filtering system. There are some very good whole house filters on the market like the one i have.

If its just a concern about the water for cooking with and drinking, then a sink mount or undersink filter is probs good enough. Whats your budget?

i think im going to buy one of those filters that attach to a faucet 

As far as I am concerned, if the people who work at/manage the water treatment plant drink the water and let their family drink the water,  then the water is fine to drink.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

No, it has lead in it. Lead stunts brain growth and neural connections being made. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

As far as I am concerned, if the people who work at/manage the water treatment plant drink the water and let their family drink the water,  then the water is fine to drink.

That tells you nothing about the quality of the water. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

That tells you nothing about the quality of the water. 

How did you conclude that?  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

How did you conclude that?  

Logic and reasoning? 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Logic and reasoning? 

you concluded through logic and reasoning that the people who test the water and control water treatment,  have no idea the quality of the water they treat?

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

you concluded through logic and reasoning that the people who test the water and control water treatment,  have no idea the quality of the water they treat?

That's not what you said

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

This means nothing, there needs to be data to back up their actions. 

That's not what you said

This means nothing, there needs to be data to back up their actions. 

Huh? Are you trying to insinuate that the people who manage water treatment and do all the testing aren't actually testing the water or don't know what they are doing?

your water is ok, I have worked with bioadsorbants in the past doing research and and I am fairly familiar with the topic. those levels aren't high enough to be worried. But I am interested in what service did you used to get those numbers. 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Simple distillation is not enough to get rid of heavy metals. In order to get rid of those, either the water gets subjected to 16 or 32 stages of purification like passing it to an activated carbon filter and reverse osmosis. Also, some pathogenic microbes can survive 100^C. Autoclave with 121^C at 15 psi can kill a lot more but that's impractical so they subject the water to either Ozone or UV irradiation. 

EDTA or Dimercaprol can be added to get rid of lead and other heavy metals by chelation but those can serve as contaminants as well so reverse osmosis and carbon filtration serves better purpose for drinking water.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Huh? Are you trying to insinuate that the people who manage water treatment and do all the testing aren't actually testing the water or don't know what they are doing?

Just because they work at a water treatment plant doesn't mean they understand what they are doing or the impact of the water that they are drinking has. 

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

well... depends on the country and budget, they do stuff but there is so much they can do... look at Flint michigan for instance

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

either the water gets subjected to 16 or 32 stages of purification like passing it to an activated carbon filter and reverse osmosis. Also, some pathogenic microbes can survive 100^C. Autoclave with 121^C at 15 psi can kill a lot more but that's impractical so they subject the water to either Ozone or UV irradiation. 

Those are super cheap at Target. ZERO Water is a great brand. 

Just because they work at a water treatment plant doesn't mean they understand what they are doing or the impact of the water that they are drinking has. 

Um, yes, you don't pay someone to fix your house if they don't know how to fix houses, you don't employ a chemical technician if they don't know the difference between litmus paper and toilet paper.   Therefore  if you worked at water treatment plant and you knew the guys testing it didn't know what they were doing or where just paying the EPA lip service, then you wouldn't drink the water would you?  you would probably also tell your family not to drink it too.  Hence my original post stands.

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Therefore  if you worked at water treatment plant and you knew the guys testing it didn't know what they were doing or where just paying the EPA lip service, then you wouldn't drink the water would you?  you would probably also tell your family not to drink it too.  Hence my original post stands.

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Flint+Michigan+Water+Crisis&FORM=FRESET

I don't trust Water Treatment workers to do anything 

Those are super cheap at target. ZERO Water is a great brand. 

It can get expensive if you're providing clean drinking water for hundreds or even thousands of people https://www.sydneywater.com.au/Education/Tours/virtualtour/html/wastewater-journey.html. Also, many if not all those DIY water purification at supermarkets or hardware stores are often unregulated and claims of purification are often tested with clean water itself. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

Also, many if not all those DIY water purification at supermarkets or hardware stores are often unregulated and claims of purification are often tested with clean water itself. 

That's why you buy from independently verified brands. Like ZERO Water.