is my tap water safe to drink?

spartaman64
2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

*slips diethylmercury into water*

How much you want to bet?

As far as I know, it is safe to drink water if you boiling it first. 

6 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If the boiling point of any impurities are similar to water, distillation alone will not work to remove them.

I know xD but we're talking about lead here... not exactly similar

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

that only kills (And maybe not even) the things living in it.  No actual material is removed (except perhaps for some of the water itself, and maybe some light stuff like alcohol if for some reason that was in there).  To purify it you have to separate it from the impurities some how, not just take the whole bulk of material through a heating process.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

boiling only helps to kill bacteria. it doesnt help with stuff like heavy metals in the water

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

that only kills (And maybe not even) the things living in it.  No actual material is removed (except perhaps for some of the water itself, and maybe some light stuff like alcohol if for some reason that was in there).  To purify it you have to separate it from the impurities some how, not just take the whole bulk of material through a heating process.

OOoooooo

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

boiling only helps to kill bacteria. it doesnt help with stuff like heavy metals in the water

I ain't no scientist so I don't know what the hell is diethylmercury. All I know is boiling the water then drinking it afterward. If I die from it, I guess bad luck find me, 

OOoooooo

I ain't no scientist so I don't know what the hell is diethylmercury. All I know is boiling the water then drinking it afterward. If I die from it, I guess bad luck find me, 

Adding an organic "tail" to mercury (methyl, or ethyl, etc.) tends to help it absorb into organisms far more readily, which increases the ease with which you will get mercury poisoning from it

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Adding an organic "tail" to mercury (methyl, or ethyl, etc.) tends to help it absorb into organisms far more readily, which increases the ease with which you will get mercury poisoning from it

I guess I will take your word for it. 

I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with pure water anyway...If you purify water enough... drinking it will actually be bad for you.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

I guess I will take your word for it. 

The wonder of the internet is that you don't have to :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylmercury

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata,_Kumamoto#Minamata_environmental_disaster

2 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with pure water anyway...If you purify water enough... drinking it will actually be bad for you.

im not sure about that

22 minutes ago, fpo said:

I typically drink juice, milk & alcohol. Soda is kinda gross to me now. 

If any of those is produced "locally", chances are they also contain trace amount of lead.

In any case, anything below 15 ppb is considered "safe".

Of course, 0 ppb would be better, but people in the past were too busy sniffing lead paint/lead gas and various other lead "enhanced" crap to realize that putting lead pipe in the ground for fresh water wasn't a good idea.

As such, until your city goes around and replaces ALL lead pipes, you'll have lead in your tap water.

I'd recommend just getting a water filter if you're that worried, but it's really not super harmful at those levels, just make sure to always leave the faucet open for a minute or two, so that all lead particles suspended in your pipes are expelled from them before drinking it.

You can read this for more information on the subject
https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/tips/water.htm

(Do take notes that a water filter will also get rid of all minerals in the water, which is what gives the water its taste...)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

im not sure about that

I don't think it's actually bad for you but it would lack the minerals that you need, so it would be worse for you than "normal" water

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't think it's actually bad for you but it would lack the minerals that you need, so it would be worse for you than "normal" water

Is it bad to drink Nestle Pure Life Purified Water with Mineral enhance for taste? https://www.amazon.com/Nestle-Pure-Life-Purified-Plastic/dp/B00NP79AI8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hmmmm well lead sulphate certainly doesn't :P

I think heavy metals are removed at the tertiary wastewater treatment. 

IMG_6240.jpg.4031bedaee8ca74e9561f82f106e13d3.jpg

IMG_6241.thumb.jpg.23d22dc01da29b7db8bd5a37fb322930.jpgIMG_6239.jpg.eeea9f5a390ab05be3dc50f23263a995.jpg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

11 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I think heavy metals are removed at the tertiary wastewater treatment.

Tertiary is generally just sterilization, like baking under UV.  Some places don't even do it.  I'm pretty sure they get rid of heavy metals and other ions before that.

13 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

Is it bad to drink Nestle Pure Life Purified Water with Mineral enhance for taste? https://www.amazon.com/Nestle-Pure-Life-Purified-Plastic/dp/B00NP79AI8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Only because it will cause the unnecessary production of extra plastic bottles :P

16 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

im not sure about that

Completely pure water will remove minerals and electrolytes from your body. 

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

7 hours ago, wasab said:

If you reside in a first world country, probably. If you are in third world, DONT DRINK TAP WATER

USA has so much wealth inequality that you could argue some states are third world.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

@TetraSky is it always measured in part per billion? My town is only 3 for lead as of 2015. 

Spoiler

80B2FD0B-FC8B-4248-B062-F5805AE164B5.jpeg.ba9232f6f638b7b3c117ffa48b2ee314.jpeg

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Flint+Michigan+Water+Crisis&FORM=FRESET

I don't trust Water Treatment workers to do anything 

hold on..... that is not to blame to the workers themselves, the water may be perfectly fine when it leaves the treatment plant but it gets contaminated with led pipes. Sometimes it can get worse with fosil fuels finding its way to drinking water when fracking operation occurs. 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

15 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

USA has so much wealth inequality that you could argue some states are third world.

That doesn't even make sense. The economy of the state doesn't make the water unsafe. Even the lowest income state in 2016 poll data according to investopedia is Mississippi with an average income of $39,680 last time I checked, the water was safe to drink there too.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

im not sure about that

yes it can ^^! hypotonic fluids can make your cells explote. and that is no fun at all, we are talking deonized water level of purity which is fairly easy to do

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Tertiary is generally just sterilization, like baking under UV.  Some places don't even do it.  I'm pretty sure they get rid of heavy metals and other ions before that.

Tertiary treatment is more than just UV sterilization:

"Tertiary wastewater treatment is any physiochemical or biological process employing bioreactors, precipitation, filtration, or chlorination procedures similar to those employed for drinking water purification. Tertiary treatment sharply reduces levels of inorganic nutrients, especially phosphate, nitrite, and nitrate from the final effluent.

Wastewater receiving tertiary treatment essentially contains no nutrients and cannot support extensive microbial growth. Tertiary treatment is the most complete method of treating sewage but has not been widely adopted due to costs associated with such complete nutrient removal."

-Madigan, M. T., Martinko, J. M., Stahl, D. A., & Clark, D. P. (2012). Chapter 35, Wastewater Treatment, Water Purification, and Waterborne Microbial Disease. In Brock Biology of Microorganisms (13th ed., p. 1010). San Francisco, CA: Pearson Education.

I can't speak for US and Canada but most of our faucet water is just until secondary treatment and mass tertiary treatment is just expensive. We often buy our drinking water that underwent tertiary treatment (scaled down) in 5 gallon containers like this one and have it delivered to our houses. 

Image result for water dispenser

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I can't speak for US and Canada but most of our faucet water is just until secondary treatment and mass tertiary treatment is just expensive. We often buy our drinking water that underwent tertiary treatment (scaled down) in 5 gallon containers like this one and have it delivered to our houses.

Yeah it can be other things, I shouldn't have generalized like that, but I do know that's a common one.

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Image result for water dispenser

My parent has one of those. Is it bad or good?

1 minute ago, DaPhuc said:

My parent has one of those. Is it bad or good?

Depending who's selling the water and their equipment and if they passed sanitary certification from authorities