G-sync HDR Modules to add 500+ dollars to monitor price

Juanitology

This kinda blows my mind. There's pretty good 4K and 1440p 144Hz monitors for 500 bucks, and according to this article from techpowerup JUST the g-sync circuitry costs that much. This seems completely insane to me, especially in the context of AMD announcing FreeSync 2 just a few days ago which does the exact same thing as gsync... for a comparably negligible amount of money. I believe I read at some point the extra hardware for freesync was about 10-20USD for better scalers or something like that. 

The FPGA is sold in low quantities for $2000 at Digikey and Mouser. Assuming that NVIDIA buys thousands, PCPer suggests that the price of this chip alone will add $500 to monitor cost. The BOM cost is further increased by 3 GB of DDR4 memory on the module. With added licensing fees for G-SYNC, this explains why these monitors are so expensive.

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/245463/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-module-adds-usd-500-to-monitor-pricing

Edited by Juanitology
removed formatting for dark theme users

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

Wonder if I'll ever invest in a G-Sync display or if I'll forever play at 75Hz on FreeSync panels...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Wonder if I'll ever invest in a G-Sync display or if I'll forever play at 75Hz on FreeSync panels...

Just get a 144 hz panel :P They work fine without gsync if you got the hardware. Also theres a few "cheap" Dell gysnc screens usually for 250-300

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Just get a 144 hz panel :P They work fine without gsync if you got the hardware. Also theres a few "cheap" Dell gysnc screens usually for 250-300

My current GPU isn't gonna drive 144Hz lol.

I plan on getting a 1080 this year so fingers crossed.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

My current GPU isn't gonna drive 144Hz lol.

I plan on getting a 1080 this year so fingers crossed.

Well, that Gsync money goes a long way toward a capable gpu anyway. :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Same, I have the HP omen 32 and its set at 75hz

College student getting his Information Systems Degree, Furry, Gamer, Amateur Poet

Luna

Intel Core i9 7940x, Custom Water Loop, EVGA x299 Micro, 4x8 GB kit of Gskill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000, Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti, 3 Tb's of SSD storage, 5TB HDD, 850 Watt EVGA Supernova g3, all inside a black and purple r1 from Parvum Systems

Laptops:

Anubis: Powerspec 1510 (sager NP8157)

Lucario: Razer Blade Stealth v4 (base model) this is my daily driver

Pricey, though like all tech prices will drop over time. It's new and shiny.

Not to mention the fact they're buying them in low quantities, which only increases the price.

Really though, are we surprised? There will always be something that's the most expensive of any class, and if that's what Nvidia is aiming for, they've accomplished it. There's a certain "look what I have, you know what it costs" factor when you're aiming for high end, high performance hardware and that's something people often overlook.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

44 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I've always wondered what exactly makes G-Sync so expensive compared to Adaptive sync or FreeSync.

Because it requires extra proprietary hardware and nvidia is greedy so they ask a over the top price for it. Freesync on the other hand is based on adaptive sync, which is a DP standard and does not require any additional hardware.

The price would be an easy fix for Nvidia and they could still sell their proprietary crap: make an ASIC instead.

It's expensive because they continue to use FPGA chips. It would seem to me that it's because they don't trust the longevity or adoption rate of GSync enough to commit fully. I mean they obviously pass the expense onto the consumer so it's not like it's a money sink for them but either they expect it to die slowly or the numbers aren't big enough to take the risk of mass producing their own chip to make it work.

Of course there is a very slight chance that they need to be able to continue to make changes as time passes but I think the idea of paying at least $500 (the $2000 is the only known number, the $500 was a guesstimate. It could be less but it's probably more) extra per monitor solely for an extra chip is insanity. I would really like to see Nvidia's justification for FPGA (and not the cooperate PR marketing BS of course).

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I've always wondered what exactly makes G-Sync so expensive compared to Adaptive sync or FreeSync.

it's not expensive. it's greed.

47 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

The price would be an easy fix for Nvidia and they could still sell their proprietary crap: make an ASIC instead.

It's expensive because they continue to use FPGA chips. It would seem to me that it's because they don't trust the longevity or adoption rate of GSync enough to commit fully. I mean they obviously pass the expense onto the consumer so it's not like it's a money sink for them but either they expect it to die slowly or the numbers aren't big enough to take the risk of mass producing their own chip to make it work.

Of course there is a very slight chance that they need to be able to continue to make changes as time passes but I think the idea of paying at least $500 (the $2000 is the only known number, the $500 was a guesstimate. It could be less but it's probably more) extra per monitor solely for an extra chip is insanity. I would really like to see Nvidia's justification for FPGA (and not the cooperate PR marketing BS of course).

Freesync dis a not have this particular issue though. I'm not sure it's really the tech which is expensive. It's more that they designed it to charge a lot.

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

The fact that it's an externally developed module added on to a monitor as opposed to a system piggy backing off of existing VESA standards. Is it inferior or superior? Hard to say, probably not for the added cost at the very least.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

5 minutes ago, Suika said:

The fact that it's an externally developed module added on to a monitor as opposed to a system piggy backing off of existing VESA standards. Is it inferior or superior? Hard to say, probably not for the added cost at the very least.

Well till know it was 100$ more if you wanted a gsync version of your monitor not 500$ but now i dont think with 500+ its worth it :( 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

5 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

Well till know it was 100$ more if you wanted a gsync version of your monitor not 500$ but now i dont think with 500+ its worth it :( 

144Hz 4K HDR makes for a very expensive display by default, $500 would probably be an equivalent upcharge to what G-Sync costs for lower end displays now.

Not to say it's justified, I think NVIDIA should have stopped developing G-Sync once adaptive-sync was adopted, but it's not as ridiculous when you're already paying $2,500 for a display.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

Not to say it's justified, I think NVIDIA should have stopped developing G-Sync once adaptive-sync was adopted, but it's not as ridiculous when you're already paying $2,500 for a display.

Honestly I think if you're willing to spend $2000 on these HDR 144Hz 4k monitor you're proably the kind of person that would pay another $500 for G-Sync, and I think Nvidia knows that.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.7GHz - GPU: Asus 1080 Ti STRIX - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - MB: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm AIO - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - Case: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass - Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 KEYBOARD: Leopold FC660M ISO (MX blues) & Tai Hao Cement/Lavender keycaps

3 minutes ago, Tartandy said:

Honestly I think if you're willing to spend $2000 on these HDR 144Hz 4k monitor you're proably the kind of person that would pay another $500 for G-Sync, and I think Nvidia knows that.

Oh, I'm well aware, I just think it's a very anti-consumer move is all. Just a shame that nobody is competing with NVIDIA right now to make them sway their minds.

Just now, Suika said:

anti-consumer

Just now, Suika said:

NVIDIA

Now I'm far from an AMD fanboy, my current GPU is an Nvidia card, but honestly I don't think anyone would be surprised to see those two words in the same sentence. I do wish we had some more competition but I don't think the current status quo will be changing anytime soon with Nvidia dominating the high end. Where is Turing??? We've had pascal for so long, but why bother with anything new if you're already comfortably ahead, right?

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.7GHz - GPU: Asus 1080 Ti STRIX - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - MB: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm AIO - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - Case: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass - Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 KEYBOARD: Leopold FC660M ISO (MX blues) & Tai Hao Cement/Lavender keycaps

Perfectly happy with my normal G-Sync ultrawide here. 

I might consider swapping for an HDR G-Sync ultrawide but not the one that is supposed to be coming this year but it's succesor. I will not hesitate to pay for a good panel but the kinks must be sorted out.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 hour ago, Sierra Fox said:

i must be the only person that doesnt care about freesync or G-Sync

I don't really see the point. Why don't people just play at their refresh rate?

6 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Believe me, I'd love to be able to play the games I play the way I play at 120fps 3440x1440 ;-)

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Just now, RorzNZ said:

I can speak to that. I rock a 1440p ultrawide without G-Sync at 60Hz, and while it's not by any means a deal breaker the tearing that I get as a result can be a real pain in the ass and distract me from what I'm doing in games.I plan on buying a 1440p 144Hz G-Sync pannel soon to use while gaming to get rid of the tearing, but I guess it just depends on how noticable you find it.

what did you expect?

You get what you pay for. And here you are paying for quality.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>