Apple finally acknowledges ‘sticky’ keyboard issues on MacBooks, offering free fix and refunds for past repairs

42 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

They have also tried to shift blame and put stuff off for as long as they can though. It took them two years to recognize that 2011-2013 MacBooks had dying GPUs, claimed that people were holding the iPhone 4 wrong, etc. In this situation, it took a group of consumers to file a class action suit in NorCal to get Apple to pay attention. I wouldn't praise them too much.

I don't get the whole arms race when it comes to thin laptops. I'd rather take a slightly older MacBook with an actually good keyboard than type on the current butterfly switches. They feel absolutely awful.

I don't mind the new keyboard, and I would take smaller, thinner, and lighter as long as they keyboard is still good, which it is imo.

But to each their own.

but this time, it will have a 90 day warranty (regardless of how much longer the original product's warranty still has), and beyond that 90 days... Well your on your own.

Ummmmm... No?

The warranty is the max of what's remaining and 90 days.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

And how many people within that time frame decided to just cut their losses and buy a new machine? That's one of the things that infuriates me with Apple. Even when it's such a widespread issue and pretty clear cut on where the issue lies, they take years to react. And people buy it up as "look they're caring for the customer", when most of their customers who had this problem would've moved on with a new MacBook out of pocket. I guess they're lucky they even got some sort of replacement plan, my two iPods with defects had no such luck. 

How many people replace their laptops just after two years? I still have my 2010 White MacBook running great, save for some typical old age issues like battery.

I'm pretty sure 98% people have either been living with the issue or gotten it repaired before.

1 minute ago, RedRound2 said:

The issue popped up recently, it didn't takes years for them to finally acknowledge it. The fact that you didn't know this and then commenting on it, says alot about your views on Apple. And Apple always have lawsuits filed against them whenever the mainstream media picks up on something. It's nothing new

Just like all good companies have consumer lawsuits filed against them? 9_9

Also the butterfly switches in question go back to 2016 so there is that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, Sypran said:

I expect that of anyone.

Well you are up a river without a paddle. That's not how this works. 

A keyboard which has an inherent flaw cannot be fixed without completely redesigning the unibody. Swapping a battery that is faulty for free is cheap and easy, essentially redesigning the laptop for free is never going to happen. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Just like all good companies have consumer lawsuits filed against them? 9_9

Umm yeah, you just may have no heard about it. Also only Apple gets even mainstream attention, prompting people to gather up and file a class action

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Also the butterfly switches in question go back to 2016 so there is that.

Butterfly was introduced in 2016, but issue cropped up in late 2017 early 2018

10 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Okay, I'm going to state the obvious here then. Apple gets alot of attention in the media, for some reason. No one would give two fucks if a Lenovo XYZ had some problem or Dell ABC had some other problem and hence anyone who doesn't own the product would never know about it. So, you're just not aware about the widespread issues that happen with other products. 

And yeah, recall programs are always a good thing, if there is a genuine issue

So your trying to paint me as an apple hater to deflect form the reality of the situation.   I got stuck into MS for the surface (and the people defending it), I got stuck into lenovo for superfish, I get stuck into any company that fucks over their consumers trying to ignore a problem. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

I'm pretty sure 98% people have either been living with the issue or gotten it repaired before.

There is no data to support that figure. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, RedRound2 said:

Umm yeah, you just may have no heard about it. Also only Apple gets even mainstream attention, prompting people to gather up and file a class action

Butterfly was introduced in 2016, but issue cropped up in late 2017 early 2018

You keep saying that like it means something.  You may just be more sensitive to bad press about apple. 

54 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

This is one of the things I really like about Apple. As soon as there's something wrong with their product, they typically always had a recall/replacement program for it. 

You’re going to get a $H!T ton of comments about this mate... :-D

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Swapping a battery that is faulty for free is cheap and easy, essentially redesigning the laptop for free is never going to happen. 

Not if it's one of Apple's newer Macbook's.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

The issue popped up recently, it didn't takes years for them to finally acknowledge it. The fact that you didn't know this and then commenting on it, says alot about your views on Apple. And Apple always have lawsuits filed against them whenever the mainstream media picks up on something. It's nothing new

No.. The issue did not pop up recently. I had my MB 12" keyboard replaced due to sticky keys back in 2016.. And I wasn't alone in this back then. Difference is that the warranty covered it back then..

6 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Its hard to trust you considering you defend apple like you own stock and you dont admit their faults until they admit them publicly and even then try to downsize them. Just saying.

You should check out my profile sometime, I've criticized Apple plenty. Just saying. 

Granted those criticisms are few and far between, but its not like Apple can do no wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Not if it's one of Apple's newer Macbook's.....

Not sure what you are implying with that, whatever it is, I'm pretty sure its wrong....

16 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

How many people replace their laptops just after two years? 

The ones who need to use their laptops and encounter this issue. Even if Apple quoted you $600 to get it fixed, it means nothing to the person who needs this machine now to meet deadlines. They can't afford to wait a week or so just to get it fixed so what else can you do? Buy a new machine. 

I see this all the time and it's not just exclusive to MacBooks and complicated keyboard issues. Go on Craigslist and you'll see postings for laptops where the story was: Oh the HDD died and I just bought a new machine. It's been sitting unused since. Great fixer upper for someone who has the time. Still a very fast machine. 

My old Lenovo IdeaPad was the exact same. The plastic screw holes for the hinge assembly failed so the lid couldn't be closed. I could fix it. But it was the tail end of the semester, finals are fast approaching, I still have a bunch of assignments due so I need a laptop, now. It's still a decent machine, Ivy Bridge i7, 16GB of RAM, 850 SSD, dedicated GPU. But that means nothing because it can't be in service in its current state, it's going to take a while to fix, and I urgently require a machine now. Which is why I now have a Vivobook and that IdeaPad is still sitting on top of a drawer in my bedroom, untouched. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Also, the OP does not mention this, but the program is valid 4 years after the data of purchase of the machine. 

Finally. Hopefully now they will also take credit for the faulty VESA mounts on iMac Pros.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

I think its the best keyboard I have ever used in a laptop. Feels great, types fast, nice feedback. Maybe if you're 50 and have fat fingers you might think differently, but as someone who still has reflexes like a rattlesnake on crack.....I love it. 

My uncle bought a MBP 13 Touch Bar a few months ago. And while I generally love  Macbooks, especially the keyboards, the new one is simply terrible. Basically no key travel, key presses are too heavy with little feedback, and the sound is obnoxious. The laughably tiny lift from the unibody made it difficult for me to keep track of where my hands were on the keyboard, a problem I've never experienced on a laptop before. I basically had to stare at the keyboard while setting it up for him. Apple took a leap forward with their new huge trackpads with great palm rejection and two leaps back with their newest Butterfly keyboards.

EDIT - it's not really the sound of the key presses that's obnoxious, rather the feeling that goes through your fingers. The click sounds are okay but the feeling is ugly.

I used to be quite active here.

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

My uncle bought a MBP 13 Touch Bar a few months ago. And while I generally love  Macbooks, especially the keyboards, the new one is simply terrible. Basically no key travel, key presses are too heavy with little feedback, and the sound is obnoxious. The laughably tiny lift from the unibody made it difficult for me to keep track of where my hands were on the keyboard, a problem I've never experienced on a laptop before. I basically had to stare at the keyboard while setting it up for him. Apple took a leap forward with their new huge trackpads with great palm rejection and two leaps back with their newest Butterfly keyboards.

Yeah, I just don't see where you are coming from tbh. 

I use a G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown and this 2016 nTB MacBook Pro with no issues and I love both. I guess I'm just more adaptable than others. 

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

EDIT - it's not really the sound of the key presses that's obnoxious, rather the feeling that goes through your fingers. The click sounds are okay but the feeling is ugly.

Try my Vivobook 15 where the flex in the plastic chassis makes the short key travel unbearable at most seating positions. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah, I just don't see where you are coming from tbh. 

I use a G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown and this 2016 nTB MacBook Pro with no issues. I guess I'm just more adaptable than others. 

I'm sure I wouldn't have issues with missing keys after using one for a while, but I just despised the tactile feel. I have a laptop with the generic decent Dell keyboard that I enjoy typing on, and of course my Ducky Shine 5 MX Brown. Totally different league of tactile feel. If you enjoy it, more power to you. All I have written is subjective :) no inherent flaws other than literal dust impeding the function of the keyboard.

7 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Try my Vivobook 15 where the flex in the plastic chassis makes the short key travel unbearable at most seating positions. 

Sounds terrifying :/

I used to be quite active here.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

I think its the best keyboard I have ever used in a laptop.

Apple is literally replacing this garbage key since the community was in an uproar.

Literally everyone else who owns a macbook: "I hate this keyboard and had to have it repair multiple times!! WTH"

DrMacintosh: "Best keyboard ever"

You continue to amaze me by standing by your fanboism. I have never seen anyone defend Apple products like you do on every thread. I have to admit to that dedication. 

i felt the Apple keyboard was short on travel and felt like i was typing on a phone screen compared to the laptop i have witch is a Lenovo yoga pro 2 the Lenovo is vastly better key travel and has lasted longer than other laptops that have been in my house 

I really like the new keyboard...

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

5 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I really like the new keyboard...

i feel like i'm typing on a ipad if i use the 'new' keybord