Apple finally acknowledges ‘sticky’ keyboard issues on MacBooks, offering free fix and refunds for past repairs

2 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Worst keyboard ever put in a laptop. Don't @ me.

@Max_Settings no. 

It is a pretty bad keyboard though. Mine broke whilst playing an RTS game and they talked a bit tough about replacing it. They did though and for free. I think my b key is getting the butterfly, but its still a new keyboard so Ill see if it gets worse. 

TBH the older keyboards on MacBooks are much better and you really have to get used to these ones. 

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Not sure what you are implying with that, whatever it is, I'm pretty sure its wrong....

You know exactly what I'm inferring. As it is I really don't want to discuss anything involving Apple with you because you seem rather blinkered to any of their faults as a company.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

You know exactly what I'm inferring. As it is I really don't want to discuss anything involving Apple with you because you seem rather blinkered to any of their faults as a company.

Same here as usual but these keyboards are actually garbage. Goodness knows the gunk thats gotten into my laptop and I can't clean it out. If I split anything thats it. 

9 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

@Max_Settings no. 

It is a pretty bad keyboard though. Mine broke whilst playing an RTS game and they talked a bit tough about replacing it. They did though and for free. I think my b key is getting the butterfly, but its still a new keyboard so Ill see if it gets worse. 

TBH the older keyboards on MacBooks are much better and you really have to get used to these ones. 

Yeah I have no complaints about the old Apple keyboards. The MacBook Air is still one of my favorite laptop keyboards.

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Same here as usual but these keyboards are actually garbage. Goodness knows the gunk thats gotten into my laptop and I can't clean it out. If I split anything thats it. 

i have tried the mac book/new macbook pro keybord and it is hot rubbish especially in airports (so its used harder) compared to the £500 tier laptops in they keyboard if feels like im typing on a ipad (reed a glass screen) 

3 minutes ago, bac729 said:

i have tried the mac book/new macbook pro keybord and it is hot rubbish especially in airports (so its used harder) compared to the £500 tier laptops in they keyboard if feels like im typing on a ipad (reed a glass screen) 

I use a MBP2016 as my daily lappy. It's not great and I prefer to use pen and paper whenever possible. It's not bad for a laptop, but because Apple can do better I expect better. 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

I use a MBP2016 as my daily lappy. It's not great and I prefer to use pen and paper whenever possible. It's not bad for a laptop, but because Apple can do better I expect better. 

i expect apple do do better for the price they charge. so i have the Lenovo yoga pro 2 its pretty good laptop for what i din't pay for

Awful lot of teeth pulling over a shitty keyboard.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

10 minutes ago, bac729 said:

i expect apple do do better for the price they charge. so i have the Lenovo yoga pro 2 its pretty good laptop for what i din't pay for

The price is still fair for what I get on my laptop and it's still my preference - but I don't want to get into a mac vs pc thing, both are great laptops I'm just invested in the Mac ecosystem. 

The price is still fair for what I get on my laptop and it's still my preference - but I don't want to get into a mac vs pc thing, both are great laptops I'm just invested in the Mac ecosystem. 

i was never really invested in the apple ecosystem but the lenovo Laptops have the best keyboards in the Biz either by experience or anecdotes. in summation there are keyboards that are better than the one i have on my laptop but its miles better than the apple laptop. especially on durability. the old apple keyboards are miles better than the current one so i don't know why anyone else buy an new laptop  

2 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Umm yeah, you just may have no heard about it. Also only Apple gets even mainstream attention, prompting people to gather up and file a class action

Butterfly was introduced in 2016, but issue cropped up in late 2017 early 2018

It was introduced in 2015 with the Retina Macbook

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Apple is literally replacing this garbage key since the community was in an uproar.

Literally everyone else who owns a macbook: "I hate this keyboard and had to have it repair multiple times!! WTH"

DrMacintosh: "Best keyboard ever"

You continue to amaze me by standing by your fanboism. I have never seen anyone defend Apple products like you do on every thread. I have to admit to that dedication. 

No, they're replacing it because of reliability issues. Not because the community hated it. A lot of people really like it, it's just unreliable. It's a really nice keyboard, it just isn't reliable and needs work.

2 minutes ago, bac729 said:

i was never really invested in the apple ecosystem but the lenovo Laptops have the best keyboards in the Biz either by experience or anecdotes. in summation there are keyboards that are better than the one i have on my laptop but its miles better than the apple laptop. especially on durability. the old apple keyboards are miles better than the current one so i don't know why anyone else buy an new laptop  

Mine was on sale :) guilty of the sale buy !!

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

It's a really nice keyboard

It's not that nice. It's above adequate, but in today's world, that's a low bar.

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

A lot of people really like it

Would they if the hardware attached to it ran something other than OSX?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Mine was on sale :) guilty of the sale buy !!

im far form an apple sheep as all i have is an ipod 3rd gen and that's all the apple i have

1 minute ago, bac729 said:

im far form an apple sheep as all i have is an ipod 3rd gen and that's all the apple i have

I think iOS is pretty good for what it is. The iPod Touchs were a great line though that Apple just forgot about. Really nice back in its day. I don't really care to tinker or use any of the functions that Android would allow me to do, just look for reliability and Cloud integration in my phone (iPhone 7) and on iOS it's all there. 

I think iOS is pretty good for what it is. The iPod Touchs were a great line though that Apple just forgot about. Really nice back in its day. I don't really care to tinker or use any of the functions that Android would allow me to do, just look for reliability and Cloud integration in my phone (iPhone 7) and on iOS it's all there. 

i dont trust my data to remain on the cloud as i intend it to be reed music so i have my own copy locally so songs like madonna - holiday gets changed when its on the cloud

2 minutes ago, bac729 said:

i dont trust my data to remain on the cloud as i intend it to be reed music so i have my own copy locally so songs like madonna - holiday gets changed when its on the cloud

It's kind of annoying to setup but I keep my files in the iCloud. Automatically backs up there and keeps a local file on my hard drive. Bit of piece of mind but a local backup is better. 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It's kind of annoying to setup but I keep my files in the iCloud. Automatically backs up there and keeps a local file on my hard drive. Bit of piece of mind but a local backup is better. 

i dont trust it to keep 30Gb of music intact and for me to listen to later or to i trust google but i thought thus chat was about the apple keyboards being crap 

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

So uhh

Rip rossmann's youtube channel

He said he would delete it if apple did a no BS repair on affected machines.

If it turns out to be true...

i don't think they have done a proper recall. i remember a stapler recall and you were not superposed to use it . something like that then Rossmann may remove his channel

3 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

The GPU problem I believe was due to who was to bear the cost of replacements, the graphics card manufacturer or Apple themselves

The iPhone 4 was an inherent flaw of their design that they acknowledged. I still don't understand why everyone keeps bringing up something jobs said in the email exchange

And for the last part, yeah it happened in this case. But take a look at all the other recall programs they currently have going on. They've always had recall programs (after some investigations of course) whenever their devices had widespread issues

Just realize they've had a recall program for nearly all MacBooks since a decade...

They've had some with iPhone a few times as well.

Sure when you force them to, they make recalls. But do you know why other companies never make such widespread recalls? Because their products actually don't have widespread issues...

19 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It's not that nice. It's above adequate, but in today's world, that's a low bar.

Would they if the hardware attached to it ran something other than OSX?

It's like they engineered it to prevent people from gaming on it as well. That fn key placement is just awful... it takes the place of what should naturally be there on Windows keyboards since ctrl/cmd keys are far more useful than the fn one...

1 minute ago, laminutederire said:

It's like they engineered it to prevent people from gaming on it as well. That fn key placement is just awful... it takes the place of what should naturally be there on Windows keyboards since ctrl/cmd keys are far more useful than the fn one...

Well, the only machines with these keyboards run OSX, so gaming isn't a huge concern.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

evan worse they don't have a UK layout and i can never use it reed the shift is too long the forward and backslash is in the rong place i can go on

Every time I see an apple thread I usually end up wanting to bang my head in the wall... This is why they can make absolute garbage and still sell it like hot cakes.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)