CIA

alextulu

That's fairly funny.

But you seriously created a post for this? Use a status update man! xD

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Come on man, they are just trying to send a tweet at work. 

Eh, I used to call one of my WiFi net works "ASIO Data Retention Van #42"

For those who don't know ASIO is Australian Security Intelligence Organisation.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

I never thought to use a number, I used to do "FBI Van" and that was it.

When I was in an apartment in college, one of my neighbors had "PrettyFlyForaWiFi" That one made me laugh.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

My WiFi is named Surveillance Van 42. I steered away from using any law enforcement or spy agency name so I couldn't get into trouble for impersonating a law enforcement officer. 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

21 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

My WiFi is named Surveillance Van 42. I steered away from using any law enforcement or spy agency name so I couldn't get into trouble for impersonating a law enforcement officer. 

I really don't think there's any risk of that.

For one, most state laws about law enforcement impersonation specifically mention you as a person impersonating them, and also mention wearing a "regulation uniform".

So:

1. You can't wear a regulation uniform from the state you live in (or wear one in the state you're visiting, etc).

2. You also can't claim to be a law enforcement officer, or otherwise attempt to convince people that you are.

However, there's nothing in any of the laws I've read that would make naming your SSID that way illegal. Your SSID isn't you, and it isn't a regulation uniform. No one will see your SSID and assume "Lady Fitzgerald must totally be in the FBI!"

For starters, how would they even know it's your SSID? It's not like you posted a sign outside your house saying "Hey guys, that FBI WIFI is mine! Dope, right?"

If you ever were arrested over it, a competent lawyer would be able to get you off no problem, and you'd likely have cause to sue them for tons and tons of money.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I really don't think there's any risk of that.

For one, most state laws about law enforcement impersonation specifically mention you as a person impersonating them, and also mention wearing a "regulation uniform".

So:

1. You can't wear a regulation uniform from the state you live in (or wear one in the state you're visiting, etc).

2. You also can't claim to be a law enforcement officer, or otherwise attempt to convince people that you are.

However, there's nothing in any of the laws I've read that would make naming your SSID that way illegal. Your SSID isn't you, and it isn't a regulation uniform. No one will see your SSID and assume "Lady Fitzgerald must totally be in the FBI!"

For starters, how would they even know it's your SSID? It's not like you posted a sign outside your house saying "Hey guys, that FBI WIFI is mine! Dope, right?"

If you ever were arrested over it, a competent lawyer would be able to get you off no problem, and you'd likely have cause to sue them for tons and tons of money.

And you being Canadian makes you an expert on U.S. law how?

It depends on how an agency perceives my intent or thinks how others may perceive it. As far as identifying my through my SSID, law enforcement agencies, etc. have the capability to figure it out or, at the very least, get a warrant from the few ISPs in the area (only one of which is cable, the remaining being dial up and satellite.

I agree it's unlikely to ever happen but why take chances?

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

It depends on how an agency perceives my intent or thinks how others may perceive it. As far as identifying my through my SSID, law enforcement agencies, etc. have the capability to figure it out or, at the very least, get a warrant from the few ISPs in the area (only one of which is cable, the remaining being dial up and satellite.

ISP's don't have access to your SSID so searching via them would be pointless. The only thing they can do is get a search warrant for the whole building and go threw with a frequency strength detector (apps on phones do this quite well). Simply put it would be extremely hard w/o evidence that your sole purpose in using the name is to impersonate in order to get a building wide warrant.

Now if you live in a home or where someone who walks on public property with such a device can find out where you live, you'd be fairly dumb to do so anyways, esp if you own a van as that could lead to probable cause.

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

ISP's don't have access to your SSID

If you're using the ISP provided router, who knows what they put in the firmware. Maybe they're spying your internal network.

2 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

ISP's don't have access to your SSID so searching via them would be pointless. The only thing they can do is get a search warrant for the whole building and go threw with a frequency strength detector (apps on phones do this quite well). Simply put it would be extremely hard w/o evidence that your sole purpose in using the name is to impersonate in order to get a building wide warrant.

Now if you live in a home or where someone who walks on public property with such a device can find out where you live, you'd be fairly dumb to do so anyways, esp if you own a van as that could lead to probable cause.

What's with these Canadians giving legal advice for the U.S.?

I live in my own home but I guarantee if I was in an apartment building, they could still find me easily enough.

Jeannie

3 minutes ago, alextulu said:

If you're using the ISP provided router, who knows what they put in the firmware. Maybe they're spying your internal network.

I have my own router and modem but that doesn't matter, the ISP can still monitor what traffic goes in and out still see into an internal network.

Good grief, why is everyone making such a big deal aboutt this?

Jeannie

1 hour ago, alextulu said:

That in itself would raise privacy concerns, as what else are they collecting? So, while it is possible I highly doubt it. I personally use 3rd party modems and not ones given out by providers.

What's with these Canadians giving legal advice for the U.S.?

I live in my own home but I guarantee if I was in an apartment building, they could still find me easily enough.

How could they easily find you? Cops can't randomly walk into a building saying "we are here to just walk around" and use such a device. At least here most if not all buildings have security measures where even if a cop can gain access using a master key it is not legal to do so w/o cause.

I have my own router and modem but that doesn't matter, the ISP can still monitor what traffic goes in and out still see into an internal network.

Good grief, why is everyone making such a big deal aboutt this?

Once again in a apartment situation no court will issue a building wide search and seizure, let alone collect everyone's browser data.  As unless it's a criminal ring (impersonation is not that it's usually one or 2 people) they want to take down, it's literally a waste of government resources not to mention some ISP's might fight back for their clients privacy as it is seen as sloppy work on the enforcements end.

10 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

the ISP can still monitor what traffic goes in and out still see into an internal network.

If the router is spying on you, then they can see things, that are not visible outside of your internal network, like how many devices you have (if you have IPv6, then it's visible anyway), the MAC addresses of your devices and the SSID of your WI-FI.

If anyone thinks an ISP isn't able to see what you send and receive over your connection, think again!

@ Egg-Roll Have you ever heard of warrants? Also, they can easily track a WiFi signal to an individual apartment or home. For that, matter, so can you using a Wi-Fi sniffer that has a signal strength meter or other such indicator easily found and bought on the internet..

Jeannie

17 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Since when do I need to be an American to look up US laws?

Arizona:

A. A person commits impersonating a peace officer if the person, without lawful authority, pretends to be a peace officer and engages in any conduct with the intent to induce another to submit to the person's pretended authority or to rely on the person's pretended acts.

https://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/02411.htm

There's a Section B and Section C, which basically say that it's not a defence if you made up an agency that doesn't exist, and that the crime is more severe if you also do a list of other things while impersonating.

Setting your WIFI network to "FBI Surveillance Van" is not - by itself - enough to fit this crime.

Seriously, laws are publicly available for anyone to look at. I don't need to be an American to tell that in Arizona, it would be legal to do this.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@ Egg-Roll Have you ever heard of warrents. Also, they can easily track a WiFi signal to an individual apartment or home. For that, matter, so can you using a Wi-Fi sniffer that has a signal strength meter or other such indicator easily found and bought on the internet..

1 hour ago, Egg-Roll said:

1 hour ago, Egg-Roll said:

The only thing they can do is get a search warrant for the whole building and go threw with a frequency strength detector (apps on phones do this quite well)

Once again if the person using the name is on the 5th floor it would be fairly hard for them to pinpoint that person out w/o accessing the building or its property. That would require a warrant, like I said w/o cause I doubt a judge would issue it.

Seriously the internet is full of pictures of people doing stupid stuff with SSID's esp in apartments...

I call my phone "FBI Surveillance Van"

Gets a few keks whenever someone plugs it in or I use Bluetooth.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Since when do I need to be an American to look up US laws?

Arizona:

https://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/02411.htm

There's a Section B and Section C, which basically say that it's not a defence if you made up an agency that doesn't exist, and that the crime is more severe if you also do a list of other things while impersonating.

Setting your WIFI network to "FBI Surveillance Van" is not - by itself - enough to fit this crime.

Seriously, laws are publicly available for anyone to look at. I don't need to be an American to tell that in Arizona, it would be legal to do this.

You need to work on your reading comprehension. Section B says:

B. It is not a defense to a prosecution under this section that the law enforcement agency the person pretended to represent did not in fact exist or that the law enforcement agency the person pretended to represent did not in fact possess the authority claimed for it.B. It is not a defense to a prosecution under this section that the law enforcement agency the person pretended to represent did not in fact exist or that the law enforcement agency the person pretended to represent did not in fact possess the authority claimed for it.

All that refers to is using a made up law enforcement does not excuse one from prosecution for impersonating a law enforcement agency (btw, any private detective firm can have surveillance vans so just saying Surveillance Van 42 is highly unlikey to be construed as impersonating a law enforcement agency).

Go back and read Section A:

A. A person commits impersonating a peace officer if the person, without lawful authority, pretends to be a peace officer and engages in any conduct with the intent to induce another to submit to the person's pretended authority or to rely on the person's pretended acts.

Again, if a law enforcement agency interprets naming one's WiFi using an law enforcement agency's name as intent to induce someone to submit to the supposed authority would easily be grounds for prosecution. Getting a conviction would be questionable but who needs to go through that hassle? And you are dreaming if you think a lawyer could make you money off such an event.

Again, you all are making mountains out of molehills.

Jeannie

15 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Once again if the person using the name is on the 5th floor it would be fairly hard for them to pinpoint that person out w/o accessing the building or its property. That would require a warrant, like I said w/o cause I doubt a judge would issue it...

You aren't paying attention. If the apartment building has public access, then the LEOs can just waltz right in and trace the signal to the apartment it comes from, then, if they don't have a warrant that allows them access to the appartment the signal is traced to, they can quickly get one over the phone. If the building doesn't have public access and the building owner chooses not to allow access without a warrant, getting a warrant that allows the LEOs to track the signal and enter the apartment it came from would also be easy.

The one exception would be if residents in the apartment were using a shared WiFi.

Jeannie

2 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

You need to work on your reading comprehension. Section B says:

B. It is not a defense to a prosecution under this section that the law enforcement agency the person pretended to represent did not in fact exist or that the law enforcement agency the person pretended to represent did not in fact possess the authority claimed for it.B. It is not a defense to a prosecution under this section that the law enforcement agency the person pretended to represent did not in fact exist or that the law enforcement agency the person pretended to represent did not in fact possess the authority claimed for it.

All that refers to is using a made up law enforcement does not excuse one from prosecution for impersonating a law enforcement agency (btw, any private detective firm can have surveillance vans so just saying Surveillance Van 42 is highly unlikey to be construed as impersonating a law enforcement agency).

I think my reading comprehension skills are just fine, thank you.

All Section B. says is that if you make up a new agency - lets call it "Department of Federal Crimes", and you convince someone that you are a member of this agency, and this gives you legal authority, that's still a crime, even if "Department of Federal Crimes" is totally made up.

You're taking that and adding a connection that doesn't exist.

2 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Go back and read Section A:

Again, if a law enforcement agency interprets naming one's WiFi using an law enforcement agency's name as intent to induce someone to submit to the supposed authority would easily be grounds for prosecution. Getting a conviction would be questionable but who needs to go through that hassle? And you are dreaming if you think a lawyer could make you money off such an event.

Again, you all are making mountains out of molehills.

You're the one making a mountain out of a molehill, when you think something is illegal, when it's not.

How would you having your SSID set to "FBI Van" induce someone to submit to your authority? That is the crucial thing here. Your SSID simply being set to some sort of "Agency" does it, by itself, constitute or fit the description of this crime.

A lawyer could certainly have a possibilty of making you money from such an event, if you were unlawfully imprisoned for something that is legal. Didn't say it would be easy for the lawyer to win you said money, but once they prove that the act was legal, then after that, it wouldn't be too difficult to prove your rights were infringed upon by being unlawfully detained.

But that's entirely besides the point.

My point was:

1. Nothing in the Arizona Law about impersonating an officer makes setting your SSID to that, illegal, since you - the person - are not impersonating an officer by the sheer act of changing your SSID. You would need to do additional actions for it to become impersonation, like say "Hey, I'm FBI, can't you see my WIFI network?"

2. The odds of any federal agency even finding out which SSID is yours, without a warrant, is incredibly slim.

3. Even if they did find out, the odds that they would care, especially enough to lay charges for which the law does not support, is insanely small.

Why take the chance? Because you have a bigger chance of getting a speeding ticket by driving 3 MPH over the limit. The risk is negligible, because it is legal, that's why people take the chance.

5 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

You aren't paying attention. If the apartment building has public access, then the LEOs can just waltz right in and trace the signal to the apartment it comes from, then, if they don't have a warrant that allows them access to the appartment the signal is traced to, they can quickly get one over the phone. If the building doesn't have public access and the building owner chooses not to allow access without a warrant, getting a warrant that allows the LEOs to track the signal and enter the apartment it came from would also be easy.

The one exception would be if residents in the apartment were using a shared WiFi.

Actually the inside of an apartment building is still private property - whether the front door is secured or not. Granted, they could seek permission from the building owner/manager for access to the hallways, but even then, it's a touchy subject, legally.

Public access has limits esp with a security guard, their job is to prevent issues, cops just walking in w/o talking to them first is seen as a issue. At that time the security guard could either assist, call for help, let them pass or ask them to leave. Also who would be dumb enough to live in a public access free roam building? You only have one access point, and would be a huge safety issue.

You do realise a judge could say no to the warrant right? No different than inside a courtroom or over the phone at the station. We are talking about a likely joke, most cops will see it as just that, and the judge would likely ask if they have any evidence (the SSID is flimsy evidence, and might not be accepted if nothing else is found). They will only act on it if a person inside that building hints/says/etc to another about impersonating. So by simply putting surveillance van in your SSID no matter what you put before or after you have successfully caught the attention of the law.

32 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Once again if the person using the name is on the 5th floor it would be fairly hard for them to pinpoint that person out w/o accessing the building or its property. That would require a warrant, like I said w/o cause I doubt a judge would issue it.

Seriously the internet is full of pictures of people doing stupid stuff with SSID's esp in apartments...

I'll find what apartment it's coming from with just my cellphone and a standard signal mapping app, no need for a good antenna even.

I mean nothing would come of it, it's not like this

http://www.newsweek.com/planet-fitness-evacuated-wifi-name-michigan-888088

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch