Rumor: Apple might ditch the lightning port in favor of USB C for the next iPhone in 2019

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The only reason to stick with it is not screw over existing customers and cos their bullshit  royalties.

You mean the only reasons that matter.....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 6/14/2018 at 8:18 AM, wasab said:

An iPhone can't even connect to a USB drive or your PC to seamlessly transfer files. Higher throughput for what?

How are you going drive 4k from an iPhone if an iPhone can't even bloody transfer a file? 

What do you need pcie lanes on an iPhone for? You want to hook a gtx 1080 on an iPhone or something? 

L

Lighting on a Mac book means dongle and adaptor everywhere you go so enjoy the inconvenience. Nice specs on paper but in the end, not applicable in real life use.

iPhones do most of this wirelessly already. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

You mean the only reasons that matter.....

Wow. The Apple Defense force have entered the thread. 

In this case I'm inclined to say moving to USB-C in spite of their past mistakes of using Lightning is worthwhile. And collecting royalties only harms consumer choice by making products needlessly more expensive.,

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

@Wh0_Am_1

Don't quote the entire OP please, or if you do snip it

I would be happy for this change, Lighting is better than USB b version but C is a good change.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

13 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

collecting royalties only harms consumer choice by making products needlessly more expensive

Lets be real, even if Apple switches they will not reduce its cost. 

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

@Wh0_Am_1

Don't quote the entire OP please, or if you do snip it

I would be happy for this change, Lighting is better than USB b version but C is a good change.

I find it easier to keep track of the conversation when I quote op and otherwise this way, also if I quote the OP, other people can instantly tell what post I am replying to and better keep track of the semi complex conversations that occur in this forum. To be clear I do not quote for the explicit purpose of alerting the other user of my post, I see that as being redundant. That is why I quote the OP, and why I intend to continue to do so.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

11 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I find it easier to keep track of the conversation when I quote op and otherwise this way, also if I quote the OP, other people can instantly tell what post I am replying to and better keep track of the semi complex conversations that occur in this forum. To be clear I do not quote for the explicit purpose of alerting the other user of my post, I see that as being redundant. That is why I quote the OP, and why I intend to continue to do so.

If you insist on quoting the OP despite it being a clear faux pas and to the annoyance of everybody else, then at least have the decency to snip it or remove all irrelevant bits. No one wants half a mile of needlessly quoted text and pictures. Your reasoning for even doing so isn't really valid. If you don't know what thread you're in from the title alone, then you read the OP instead of reading the OP via a quote in a prior comment. The OP doesn't need to be quoted otherwise it would be standard procedure for people to quote it frequently and I suspect if that happened the forum would be unreadable.

In essence: the OP is implicitly the vehicle for the conversation and does not need to be quoted. You can re-read it yourself if you need to.

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

iPhones do most of this wirelessly already. 

Apple's next step: let's get rid of the lighting port and lighting cable and force these sheeps use our propieatry single charge battery and wireless transfer technology and headphones instead. Muahahababahahah

Sudo make me a sandwich 

49 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

also if I quote the OP, other people can instantly tell what post I am replying to and better keep track of the semi complex conversations that occur in this forum.

Nature of the beast, it is going to happen no matter who you quote.   How this forum works for me:

1. I post my opinion,

2. regardless of who I quote or what in specific I say someone doesn't like my opinion and takes me to task over it.

3. we debate/discuss and argue for 3 pages.

4. a Mod sends me a polite PM asking me to stop annoying people and derailing threads.

5. everyone wins.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

31 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

If you insist on quoting the OP despite it being a clear faux pas and to the annoyance of everybody else, then at least have the decency to snip it or remove all irrelevant bits. No one wants half a mile of needlessly quoted text and pictures. Your reasoning for even doing so isn't really valid. If you don't know what thread you're in from the title alone, then you read the OP instead of reading the OP via a quote in a prior comment. The OP doesn't need to be quoted otherwise it would be standard procedure for people to quote it frequently and I suspect if that happened the forum would be unreadable.

In essence: the OP is implicitly the vehicle for the conversation and does not need to be quoted. You can re-read it yourself if you need to.

I will take that under consideration.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Everyone: Ok, we're all going to use a single "universal" port so you dont have to have multiple cables for different devices. 

Apple: Ok.....nah

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Wow. The Apple Defense force have entered the thread. 

In this case I'm inclined to say moving to USB-C in spite of their past mistakes of using Lightning is worthwhile. And collecting royalties only harms consumer choice by making products needlessly more expensive.,

Using lightning in the past was anything but a mistake. It was all around better than Micro USB. The only mistake was not switching to it with the 8/X.

That being said, there are still two good reasons not to switch to type C (other than their own benefit).

1) People hate change and being "forced" to buy new cables -- although this is largely moot given that it's Apple and that people need to grow the fuck up.

2) USB-C is still kind of a mess in terms of garbage/dangerous cables existing -- while this technically would also impact the USB-C Macs, the difference is that I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it was more likely to cause a problem with a phone (people tend to go through phone cables faster, people are less willing to pay for first party phones cables than they are for first party laptop chargers, and people are more likely to buy power-providing cables for a phone).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Nature of the beast, it is going to happen no matter who you quote.   How this forum works for me:

1. I post my opinion,

2. regardless of who I quote or what in specific I say someone doesn't like my opinion and takes me to task over it.

3. we debate/discuss and argue for 3 pages.

4. a Mod sends me a polite PM asking me to stop annoying people and derailing threads.

5. everyone wins.

I'm curious as to what your PM inbox looks like.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I'm curious as to what your PM inbox looks like.

it's fairly boring actually.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If you guys still needed more evidence, here is the most compelling and articulate video I’ve found. 

TLDW: Switcing go USB-C throws a wrench in the majority of the Apple ecosystem and actually goes against Apples vision as a company (no cables). 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

13 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

-snip-

Apples vision as a company (F**k your compatibility). 

Sorry, had to fix that for you :D

But for real, Apple making a choice that their product would actually be compatible with something else than Apple? I believe hell would freeze and IBM would again make a consumer PC before that.

People far too easily forget that Apple is always Apple. Pork the iTunes for Windows just so that you can show how much "better" mac is, make a connector that is somewhat compatible with USB just enough that it works but it's still performancewise porked, make technologies that doesn't really beat the competition but is even so expensive or uncompatible that manufacturers who want to support it must choose between Apple and others (the in home music streaming), make a connector that still is the biggest physical security hole in PCs (FireWire) [if you happen to have encrypted disk, please put hotglue into this piece of poop hole in your PC if you have one, you probably won't ever need it and it just provides direct route to your encryption keys] and so on and so on. And then someone goes and says that Apple is finally doing something that is even sligthly what every other company in the world have decided to do and there would be fianlly an Apple product that doesn't need propietary cables, and everyone forgets that it is still Apple we are talking about.

-= Topic Moved to General Discussion =-

Rumours are not considered News items.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 6/15/2018 at 6:13 PM, SansVarnic said:

-= Topic Moved to General Discussion =-

Rumours are not considered News items.

Damn this really had my hopes up too :'( 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Damn this really had my hopes up too :'( 

The title states its a rumour, so how is my moving the topic make this point more valid?

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 6/15/2018 at 6:21 PM, SansVarnic said:

The title states its a rumour, so how is my moving the topic make this point more valid?

Theres a difference between confirmed rumours and just rumours, notably the source, especially when it comes to Apple products. The confirmed rumours have stayed on the News & Reviews I'd presume. 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Theres a difference between confirmed rumours and just rumours, notably the source, especially when it comes to Apple products. The confirmed rumours have stayed on the News & Reviews I'd presume. 

Probably just didn't get moved. There is so much for mods to do. Look how long it took till i got around to moving this one. Lol..

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

If this change does happen, it's going to be hectic, as you will need to use a seperate cable, and fanboys are going to hate that.

Probably going to make Type C to Lightning adapters.

hi.

5 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

If this change does happen, it's going to be hectic, as you will need to use a seperate cable, and fanboys are going to hate that.

Probably going to make Type C to Lightning adapters.

True but apple followers will be willing to follow suit but it will be like this... Apple is so amazing they made the usb c better with innovation!   lmao /s

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

14 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Everyone wants them to go C because lightning is a stupid fucking idea. 

How is Lightning a bad idea? It was the first proper reversible connection for a phone, and it's resilient as fuck. The only problem I have is I get a lot of lint in the lightning port so I can have to clean it out on the regular so the cable can stay in, but that is also an issue with USB-C cause my mate with a Pixel 2 XL has the same problem. It also came about what at least 3 years in 2012 before we saw USB-C on anything for the consumer market.

Honestly, all the lightning port is there for, for me is to charge, I rarely connect my phone to the computer & I don't use the lightning earpods as I still use a dedicated MP3 player.

I think USB-C is great, and it should be implemented as much as possible. But Apple is pretty well invested in Lightning & so are a lot of their customers, myself included. I have quite a few high quality lightning cables, the 3 energizer ones I have that are metal are fantastic, and if I had to replace them with USB-C ones they would cost me more than the lightning variant..

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14