(UPDATED) NZXT AIO leaks on 1080ti DEATH

Go to solution Solved by Agonizel,

What I learned:

1. If the cooler is wet when you unbox it, don't use it

2. Buy from Amazon for actual customer support

Hi community,

I am sad to announce that a GTX 1080ti has died today. But it wasn't a natural death, it was murder!
All hints indicates and proves that the NZXT 120mm M22 CPU-cooler leaked on the GPU and caused a short circuit.
There was a weird noise coming from the cooler than "TAKK", the computer turned off. When we opened the cooler, it was wet in the inside of the package, inside the protective plastic bag in which the M22 was. I was highly suspecting, we let it run for an hour with paper tissue and it seemed fine...

I tested the PC with an old GTX970 and it works just fine, but I quickly turned it off ass I don't want the CPU cooler to leak again.
We bought the NZXT M22 from a computer hardware online-shop (Alternate.de). 

My questions is: We suffered a prejudice from the faulty cooler, who's responsible for repairing/replacing/refunding the GPU? (EU)

We are trying to get the retailer from which we asked a refund for the faulty cooler to talk to NZXT
We are tying to talk with NZXT
We are trying to go warranty-route with Gigabyte (1080ti)

PS: I don't recommend this cpu cooler

UPDATE 1:
The retailer will exchange the cooler, which I will immediately throw out of the window
I'll buy a 360mm AIO with an asetek pump (probably deepcool)
Since I'm still on warranty and possess the receipt, Gigabyte is looking for a solution with me atm
We're using an old gtx 970 in the mean time

UPDATE 2:
Gigabyte sent us to deal with amazon where we got the GPU

Then Amazon Service sent us back to Gigabyte since they needed Gigabyte to attest the defect

Gigabyte was slow to answer but finally sent us to deal with another department

Meanwhile Amazon is already preparing the shipment altough they said the couldn't

UPDATE 3:

The retailer confirmed the defect on the M22 AIO and sent us a new one
Amazon will replace the 1080ti
In the end, Amazon is paying for NZXT's blunder. 

UPDATE 4:
Amazon sent us a new 1080ti

NZXT never answered

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

That is a sad reality at times with AIOs and water cooling in general. Even though its "Closed" doesnt mean its not prone to leaking. Its always best to keep an eye on it. I have a full custom water loop in my system and im always looking at my fittings and such for signs of water leakage. Water cooling isnt something you can just set it and forget it sadly. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Well, I don't think NZXT can directly compensate for the death of the GPU due to a defective AIO cooler, though they may help out, but it depends.

GIGABYTE's RMA policy, I'm not entirely sure about. They may replace it if it's deemed to be accidental and not done on purpose but depending on whoever is processing it, you may need some persuasion.

And yes, whenever you have a liquid cooler, regularly inspect all hoses, fittings and rads to ensure that no leaks occur. It's like inspecting hoses on your car engine's cooling system. Make sure everything is tight.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Alternate, i hope for you that the germans offer better after-sales support than the dutch/belgium part because Alternate is one of the worst companies out there...

I bought 1 thing from them, a 6950. They told me it was an unused showroom model.

Did some research, card had an RMA 2-3 months before i bought it, unused my ass...

I would go straight to NZXT and see what they offer and ask Gigabyte what they can do for you. 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

alternate will probably replace the cooler but for the GPU they will forward you to NZXT, i would try to contact both at once.

Just now, Pixel5 said:

alternate will probably replace the cooler but for the GPU they will forward you to NZXT, i would try to contact both at once.

its exactly what happened, I won't use that cooler no more though

5 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

its exactly what happened, I won't use that cooler no more though

if you already have a new cooler you are out of luck as im sure NZXT will want to have the broken one back to inspect where the leak came from.

That is why I love air cooling... :3

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

That is why I love air cooling... :3

Less failure points indeed, but I like the aesthetics of AIOs too much

The retailer will exchange the cooler, which I will throw out of the window
I'll buy a 360mm AIO with an asetek pump
Since I'm still on warranty and possess the receipt, Gigabyte is looking for a solution with me atm
We're using an old gtx 970 in the mean time

AC > LC

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I'd point NZXT Customer Service to this thread. They need to advise their Quality Controller to inspect the reason why your unit leaked.

If one unit leaks, there will be more...(just ask EK)

17 years of helping you void your warranty

15 hours ago, Mnpctech said:

I'd point NZXT Customer Service to this thread. They need to advise their Quality Controller to inspect the reason why your unit leaked.

If one unit leaks, there will be more...(just ask EK)

How do I do that? Do they have an account here or should I send them a message on their site trough the customer support section?

Isn't the coolant inside the loop supposed to be non-conductive? This post made me scared as I just replaced my air cooler with an H115i Pro :| 

3 minutes ago, Millidan said:

Isn't the coolant inside the loop supposed to be non-conductive? This post made me scared as I just replaced my air cooler with an H115i Pro :| 

It's water so... it's conductive. But, it's supposed to be non-corrosive

• 2 weeks later...

What I learned:

1. If the cooler is wet when you unbox it, don't use it

2. Buy from Amazon for actual customer support