Booting Windows from an SD CARD???

I've done it. Not the worst way to run Windows and has quite a few more uses than trying a live CD of Windows. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Why is a video being made about this? 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

If you watched Druaga1 like me, you'd have seen this a dozen times by now.

Do you think maybe someday sd cards will work like ssd or maybe even micro sd?

I've done this as well about 10 years ago. Partially for sh*ts and giggles (windows) and for actual use (Ubuntu). I've never tried gaming off of it however, I think the lag Linus saw was the card or usb having issues with the demand. You might remove the random lag if the game was on a seperate card.

My IDE drive was faster back then however which was 164GB :P

It was a interesting video, and good to know Windows 10 even with its 30+GB install size will still run... Actually I would like to know if a standard SD card would run windows 10 :P

Man I did this with XP ages ago because my HDD had some damaged sectors, piece of cake and my SD was a chinese sony knockoff so imagine the load times

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Is this legit?
Asking just cause ~3y ago I did encounter Win8/8.1/10 bug, restricting all drives to 100% load @~1MBps.

i just wonder if using ram disk or ram cache would it improve the overall performance a lot?

18 hours ago, Nicnac said:

y did you do this again?

Because curiosity?  Because on forums like this we see all sorts of users who have 'ideas' about how certain pieces of hardware surely can or surely can't do something but it's all based on conjecture or messy understandings from reviews they've read (You have NO idea how many people on this forum seem to think that SMR hard drives write at like 10-20MB/s tops. o.O) and sometimes you have to just plug something in and just SEE what happens.  Maybe the result will be exactly what you expect or maybe the result will be something wildly interesting.  The important thing is, you tried it, you gained first hand knowledge instead of guessing or imagining.

ACTIVATE WINDOWS

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

Because curiosity?  Because on forums like this we see all sorts of users who have 'ideas' about how certain pieces of hardware surely can or surely can't do something but it's all based on conjecture or messy understandings from reviews they've read (You have NO idea how many people on this forum seem to think that SMR hard drives write at like 10-20MB/s tops. o.O) and sometimes you have to just plug something in and just SEE what happens.  Maybe the result will be exactly what you expect or maybe the result will be something wildly interesting.  The important thing is, you tried it, you gained first hand knowledge instead of guessing or imagining.

I have Nothing against experimenting and trying stuff out, very much the opposite in fact! Just wanted to make that clear :) 

It just seemed like a filler video and kinda pointless after we already had the "build your own ssd" video so I thought I'd let them know that ^^

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Aren't all SD Card Readers "compatible" with SDXC2?

On 07/05/2018 at 5:57 AM, HimymCZe said:

Is this legit?
Asking just cause ~3y ago I did encounter Win8/8.1/10 bug, restricting all drives to 100% load @~1MBps.

Did this have anything to do with MsMpEng.exe hogging 100% of the disk?

CPU - INTEL CORE i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz (6CPUs)

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

RAM - 16GB

Motherboard - GIGABYTE Z370P

Case - PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P400

Display(s) - ACER PREDATOR XB241H, DELL  S2716DG

Mouse - ROCCAT KONE XTD, LOGITECH G403

Keyboard - RAZER ORNATA, RAZER BLACKWIDOW X TOURNAMENT

I've been booting up my ubuntu on VMware on my sandisk extreme, I could run games like starbound and CSGO without much difficulty

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I posted this in the video comments but there's less noise here:

You should try an SD card rated for "A1" - there aren't many yet, and I haven't seen any "A2" ones yet, but they are supposed to be much better for random access and running applications (hence the "A") from.

I actually have two systems at home running on flash cards - one 90s 486 laptop running off a bog standard SD card (not A1, but is probably still faster than its original disk) and one custom linux router booting from a CF card.

Something I didn't quite get: Why did he rip a DVD to create an ISO instead of using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create an ISO?

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.

17 hours ago, Cyanara said:

Something I didn't quite get: Why did he rip a DVD to create an ISO instead of using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create an ISO?

Because instead of using the official Windows To Go tool, he's using Rufus. Rufus needs ISOs, and I'm pretty certain Linus just doesn't care to learn how to get an ISO out of the WMCK. 

The official tool -- included with pro SKUs -- works just fine for this ( and works off the local backup install )

It also took a whole goddamn day of updates because guess what: That was probably two-plus-year old media. 

On 5/8/2018 at 10:06 AM, sKetchyy said:

Did this have anything to do with MsMpEng.exe hogging 100% of the disk?

thats above pay-grade... I just know, cause I've encounter this while I was upgrade some ntb from W7 to W8/W10 couple years ago.

... I'm just trying to point out here that the issue might not be SDcard/reader related, just $hitty windows workmanship ...

Did that with a USB flash drive a few years ago, when USB 3 just came out. Managed to run Win7 on it just on it just for fun.

On my very first PC, which I also built myself, came with a Western Digital Caviar IDE HDD at 20GB. :D

Yes Caviar, that's what WD named their drives back then. Fancy expensive fish eggs.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Did that with a USB flash drive a few years ago, when USB 3 just came out. Managed to run Win7 on it just on it just for fun.

On my very first PC, which I also built myself, came with a Western Digital Caviar IDE HDD at 20GB. :D

Yes Caviar, that's what WD named their drives back then. Fancy expensive fish eggs.

If that better or worse than naming it after a sea creature?

4 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

If that better or worse than naming it after a sea creature?

Sea creature sounds a lot better then fish eggs. But naming after a land mammal, is the best name ever.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

• 2 months later...

Hello

Can some1 please tell me what laptop was used in this video?

Thanks alot