Renowned game critic TotalBiscuit retires from YouTube after his cancer treatments stop working and his health rapidly deteriorates.

ItsMitch

I've personally seen the effects of cancer many times among family and family friends. Not sure how I feel about this latest news here. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Absolutely gutted. I wouldn't say I was a fan of his but I definitely saw quite a bit of his videos and like the guy's personality. Hopefully a miracle comes his way and lives a long healthy life.

12 hours ago, IceCold008 said:

-snip-

Is it so hard to grasp the concept that people may be more affected by the suffering and death of a man who has, in some way, influenced their lives and entertained them directly as opposed to someone they never heard of? It's also extremely hypocrytical since I don't think I've seen you produce or post any news about those with "vastly more important jobs" you mention - it's almost as if you don't actually give a damn and are just looking to make an edgy comment for the sake of it. If you don't care, move on and leave the ones who do alone.

10 hours ago, Humbug said:

Fuck cancer.

Everywhere I turn it's cancer. From my friends, to my family, to my girlfriend's family, even my previous dog.

Lots of respect to TB. Both professionally and even personally how he has handled this.

I agree, if nothing else he's been an inspiration for anyone battling cancer.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

TB is an asshat, he really is. His attitude towards his fans is deplorable, he's arrogant and a bit of a narcissist. I genuinely don't like him.

That said his efforts in consumer protection and outlining bad business practices in the gaming industry have really been second only to Jim Sterling and besides that, no human should ever have to go through what he is going through right now.

Even as someone who doesn't particularly like him I still wish him all the best during this entire ordeal and I legitimately hope he beats this thing and gets better. Losing him would be a pretty big blow to consumers.

Right now he needs to back up, take a few deep breaths and re-evaluate what's important, does he want to spend his time making videos for YouTube or with his friends and family? In his situation the answer to that question should be obvious and anyone who disagrees is being very selfish.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Living his life out peacefully..... I don't think so.....  He will be on morphine or something else non-stop most likely. Dying peacefully is not an easy thing to accomplish unless you die perfectly happy.

I know exactly what happens at the end stages of cancer. My Grandmother died at 52 from all the chemo and my mom just died November 1st, just a few months ago from cancer that had spread to her bones. From the first time she was diagnosed, she got surgery in her lung that supposedly removed the tumor...well... it came back a year later, worse than ever and fast. This was after she was getting 6 month check ups too.

8 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

TB is an asshat, he really is. His attitude towards his fans is deplorable, he's arrogant and a bit of a narcissist. I genuinely don't like him.

That said his efforts in consumer protection and outlining bad business practices in the gaming industry have really been second only to Jim Sterling and besides that, no human should ever have to go through what he is going through right now.

Even as someone who doesn't particularly like him I still wish him all the best during this entire ordeal and I legitimately hope he beats this thing and gets better. Losing him would be a pretty big blow to consumers.

Right now he needs to back up, take a few deep breaths and re-evaluate what's important, does he want to spend his time making videos for YouTube or with his friends and family? In his situation the answer to that question should be obvious and anyone who disagrees is being very selfish.

I think we can ignore his impact on consumers. There will probably always be someone that can take his place. But that can't happen for his family and that's the truly unfortunate part of this.

Colon cancer is no joke.

I wish him the best.

My Dad had to deal with colon cancer himself.  He survived it so far, but the treatment took a toll though.  Seems now a days you either die by cancer or by a disease of some sort.  One is lucky now to die in sleep.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

16 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Yeah cancer is hard to beat in many cases, just look at steve jobs man had all the money in the world but he could not escape it

That's not exactly saying much, he also took the holistic approach.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's not exactly saying much, he also took the holistic approach.

Didn't he have pancreatic cancer though? That is probably one of the worst cancers to get with one year survival rate at 20% and five year at 7%.

OT: Honestly never watched or read anything from TotalBiscuit but the news is still terrible to hear regardless.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, 2FA said:

Didn't he have pancreatic cancer though? That is probably one of the worst cancers to get with one year survival rate at 20% and five year at 7%.

still you gotta do what is within your power.

Jobs delayed surgery and chemo for 9 months.

Just now, Humbug said:

still you gotta do what is within your power.

Jobs delayed surgery and chemo for 9 months.

I'm not saying it was smart but he did do what he thought was best.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Just now, 2FA said:

I'm not saying it was smart but he did do what he thought was best.

Yes, he had shitty options, but I wouldn't resort to the holistic approach until there were literally no options (and I'm pretty sure his family said that even he regretted his decision after the fact).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yes, he had shitty options, but I wouldn't resort to the holistic approach until there were literally no options (and I'm pretty sure his family said that even he regretted his decision after the fact).

Humans are unreasonable at the worst times.

Having taken care of 2 family members with stage 4 cancer.  I knew this was only a matter of time.  Hopefully he can find a treatment to ease his pain at very least

12 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I am happy with his move: In my opinion he's done enough to advance the cause of videogame consumers and he should now just try to be with his family instead of the constant stress of video producing and being a public person.

I am more than sure others will continue to produce valuable content for as long as needed and his contributions were not in vain.

Well, I'm of the opinion that one is free to do what they see fit with their final days, whether it's with family, or working until he literally drops dead if he feels the need to do more. It's not up to me to decide.

What matters is to leave the world in a (slightly) better shape than it was when he (or anyone else) came into it. While I've never heard of this individual, let alone actually watch his videos, much of what I'm reading tells me he's done just that 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

17 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

shit. right after finding out another youtuber i follow has found a benign and early stage brain tumor

fuck cancer.

Yea, its too much information to handle within the same week. Cancer is a bitch, and I'm staying optimistic for the both of them. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

TB has been a part of my life since I discovered him back in WoWRadio. Heck I heard Him propose to his wife.

Having heard him on the latest podcast you could hear how tired he is.

It’s a true shame; and I hope he’ll improve enough to get into one of those new trials. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

This is really sad. I wish him, and his family all the best. Cancer sucks. 

F for respect. Sometimes I found his opinions rather... hmmm. But still, seemed a decent person, hard working, and really fought hard through this. Hope he has some great time with his friends, family and wife while leaving the spotlight and stress of blogging/vlogging! :) and :( at the same time.

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

as much as I wish for the same, the human body's a crazy complex balance of so many factors. stopping a downward spiral is pretty darn difficult ,_,

Sadly I know all to well. Having had spinal surgery a few years ago; the issue has returned and affecting my thoracic spine also. We need some breakthroughs in medicine again. If only blockchain also help folding and medical research directly.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I honestly doubt he will be here next year. It must really suck for him and his family. I know of another british person who died of colon cancer at a very young age. I got to wonder if there is something specific in the UK that makes this type of cancer more common over there.

Either way, he was a very positive influence on the gaming industry. He isn't without flaws, but for the most part he wised up. It will be a big loss when he is not here anymore.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Notional said:

I got to wonder if there is something specific in the UK that makes this type of cancer more common over there.

It was believed it ran in his family, he's not perfect, sure, but no-one deserves to die like this. 

I remember his video from starting Planetside 2