Renowned game critic TotalBiscuit retires from YouTube after his cancer treatments stop working and his health rapidly deteriorates.

ItsMitch

Just a heads up, this will probably be a rough read for followers / fans of TB. 

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/cynicalbritofficial/comments/8g4eoj/official_totalbiscuits_future/ | https://dotesports.com/culture/news/total-biscuit-retires-23244

Renowned game critic TotalBiscuit has announced he'll be stepping away from YouTube as his health and his cancer treatments fail. His PR team announced his future onto his subreddit as TB has been forbidden to view Reddit (Apart from r/rarepuppers) and in a series of tweets, he also confirmed that his weekly podcast, the Co Optional Podcast will remain in place but it'll be changed from 3 hours to 2 hours, with now a 5 minute break instead of a 20 minute one.

When I went into hospital a week or so ago, it was accompanied by the news that conventional chemotherapy effectiveness had been exhausted. My body has become resistant to all forms of it according to my oncologist. 46 chemo treatments, 138 days plugged into a pump. Let nobody ever say I wasn't stubborn. Unfortunately this was followed up a couple of days later with some more bad news. My liver is failing and its effectiveness has lowered past the point where the clinical trials I had been offered would take me on. Yes apparently there are things that are too dangerous for even the terminal. Obviously we're going to keep looking for other trials but I'm currently coming to terms with the fact that I don't have long left and right now at any rate, there is literally nothing I can do about it other than try to manage the pain as best as possible and stay as hydrated as possible to ease the pressure on the liver. There are quite a few pain management options left to try and the ones that I am using can be increased in dosage quite significantly if need be. The majority of the pain is being caused by pressure on the spine from hardened nodules in the liver and lung as well as fluid. We haven't fully explored the options for dealing with all of that, but its high priority so that my quality-of-life can improve.

That's what it comes down to now, getting my quality-of-life to as good a standard as possible. Even though you don't really have any treatments to fight with any more, I firmly believe that the will to live is a very strong asset and that is much easier to maintain when you're not in crippling pain all the time.

That will most likely be my last health update, unless some miracle happens or we do indeed find a trial that can do something despite the damage to my liver. I'd ask people not to speculate about how long I might have left. I've deliberately left out some details to try and reduce the behavior, though it might very well have the opposite effect. All I do know is that kind of thing is upsetting to some of my viewers that read it and I'd rather not encourage it. I've already exceeded the "usual" lifespan of someone with my condition so whatever numbers people come up with are just that.

So incase people have been out of the loop with his cancer treatment, TB has had cancer for 4 years (It happened in April 2014) and doctors gave him a life expectancy of 2-3 years at max. 

To cut a massive reddit thread short, his PR team left his closing thoughts

What we leave behind

It goes further than that though. When I leave this world I want to leave something my family can use to help them earn. Not only would I be ok with Genna taking over my channels and assets once I'm gone, I'd be delighted if she did. I've been encouraging her for years to create more content for Youtube, hopefully as we make a bunch of fun videos together over the next however-long, that confidence will grow. I fully expect The Co-optional Podcast to go on and I love the thought that once I'm gone, the channels will go on in my absence, hosted by the person who knows me best and has been with me for the better part of my adult life.

If this is all a bit brutally honest... well, it is me. I want you to see where I'm coming from, I always have and I really believe that's what made me an effective and useful critic. It's been a privilege, thank you all for letting me into your life and do something so important as to have an impact on how you spend your hard-earned money. Thankfully Youtube is thriving with great review and critical content now, there's plenty of awesome choices and considering most of my critical content has been reserved for the podcast over the last year, many of you have most likely found the places you can rely on.

TL:DR - Conventional treatments ineffective, liver too damage for clinical trials that we know of. I'm retiring as a critic to spend what's left of my life sharing my love of gaming with my wife and all of you via co-op videos and streams. The podcast will continue every week, with a streamlined 2-hour format. We have no plans to launch any kind of donation campaign and suggest above a list of ways to support us if you would like to.

I respectfully ask you don't speculate how long he has left to live. TB said he'll fight this to the very end, poor guy.

If you wish to support him:

We've had A LOT of questions about donations, how people can help etc. That's always humbling to see. Some suggested a GofundMe. I'm not comfortable with taking donations when I'm still able to work and have income from several different sources. I don't begrudge anyone for using donations as a form of income, its just always seemed inappropriate for us when we have several other ways to making money that result in both parties getting something. If you would like to help, do the things you've always done. Watch our videos without adblock or with Youtube Red (yes Red helps, a lot, much more than watching an ad).

Support our podcast sponsors, Squarespace and [Audible at **]- they've both been very good to us over the past couple of years and let us pay Dodger and Jesse a salary for doing the show rather than just "exposure" (though they got a lot of damn exposure, let's not sell ourselves short here").

Watch our streams and consider subscribing. There'll be more content coming on Twitch than there has been for a while with streams with Genna. Our subscription is a service, giving you instant access to VoDs rather than having to wait for them to hit Youtube (in the case of Cooptional, thats 48 hours afterwards), no Twitch ads, 50 chat emotes, access to the subscriber only chat and a 10% discount on our t-shirts and hoodies. We've done our best to make subscribing a service model, not a donation model and we're going to try and keep it that way, including more features and discounts if we can.

Speaking of merchandise, yes the purchase of a shirt is very helpful. Margins on t-shirts are ridiculous, that's why everyone and their mother wants to sell them to you. [http://totalbiscuit.shop] is where we sell ours.

We do have another partnership in the works as well, with a company you should be quite familiar with.

Lastly, I'll be taking the occasional brand deal here and there. Even though I'm not a critic anymore, I still fully believe in disclosure, honesty with the audience and only taking deals for games you actually like. People can see right through the fake bullshit anyway, so why waste your time and I'd quite like however many videos I've got left in me to be fun. I'm not playing your crappy game, no matter how much money you try to slip me, so you can take me off those mobile mailing lists please.

These are all better than asking for donations. We're still running a business and I want to keep acting like it. All that said, if something goes horribly wrong, if my insurance stops paying out for whatever reason or if faced between draining all savings and leaving my family with nothing but our physical assets and asking for help, you better believe I'll be asking for help. The family comes first.

Peaceful discussion is always appreciated friends

His Wife, Genna posted her statement on the reddit thread

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has posted supportive comments and well wishes for my husband and our family. No doubt, this news will be difficult to take in for our entire fanbase — whether you’ve been with us since the days of BluePlz or a relative newcomer who tunes in weekly to the Co-Optional Podcast.

I won’t burden you all with details on just how badly this news has affected me, but please believe I am doing all I can to cope so that I can be the best possible support advocate for my husband’s care and comfort. That being said, I would

appreciate the restraint of this community in posting any “WebMD” advice or “Dr Google” replies and DMs as I would rather spend this time with my husband. Thank you for your support and understanding.

-Genna Bain

That's a shame that his health is in such a condition. He's really helped the gaming industry a lot in these past few years.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well shit. I wish his wife and family lots of strength dealing with what might be his final weeks if not days on this earth. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I don't really know what to say...

He did some amazing things and i really hope that he will somehow recover. I mean he did some good things for the gaming community and i'm happy with the things he did.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

The original post has several ways to help support him, though he's not taking direct donations at this time.

I've updated my post with the ways to support him, cheers. 

Not the only one, the guy from Lazy town (robbie rotten) is in the same situation, treatment failed and decided to just live his last days peacefully.

I don't like the guy that much, but he and his family don't deserve to suffer like this.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Wow, I am astonished. I used to watch his videos a few years ago and haven't been keeping up to date with what he's been doing so this a surprise to me. He was an amazing game reviewer/commentator and it's such a shame to see another person's life being crippled by cancer. I wish him and his family all the best. 

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

I don't know the person, but I hope he can enjoy the rest of his life. And if keeping up with the podcast is one of those things, I don't see why I shouldn't check it once.

12 hours ago, IceCold008 said:

-snip-

As much as people like to claim that "everyone is equal", that is simply not true.

We care more about people we have a connection with. Since a lot of people watch and follows TB, they feel a far stronger connection/relation to him than to some other random person.

10 people in Africa could die and I would not care at all, but if my mom died I would cry rivers.

This really shouldn't be a hard concept to understand, and your comment is very disrespectful. Show some decency.

-snip-

-snip-

he's a public figure. His job was literally entertainment/journalism. Of course you hear about it.

I personally didn't give a shit about David Bowie but a lot of people did when he died from liver cancer. All he did was sing for a living. Vastly more important jobs than that out there. Nothing wrong with it.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Fuck cancer.

Everywhere I turn it's cancer. From my friends, to my family, to my girlfriend's family, even my previous dog.

Lots of respect to TB. Both professionally and even personally how he has handled this.

I have watched TB for a long time and I knew this was coming the question was when. 

All that said, if something goes horribly wrong, if my insurance stops paying out for whatever reason or if faced between draining all savings and leaving my family with nothing but our physical assets and asking for help, you better believe I'll be asking for help. The family comes first.

I love this quote. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I am happy with his move: In my opinion he's done enough to advance the cause of videogame consumers and he should now just try to be with his family instead of the constant stress of video producing and being a public person.

I am more than sure others will continue to produce valuable content for as long as needed and his contributions were not in vain.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's really unfortunate to hear. I still remember when he first announced what he was going through and it seemed like there was genuine good progress up until now. I honestly can't imagine how hard it must be for him and his family. He seemed like a really clever dude and it sucks that he has been dealt a shitty hand. 

I hope he can find some peace and can still do some of the things he wants to do. 

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

a huge accomplishment that he fought out this long. think it's been more than 3 years, that's more than admirable. 

Especially when they gave him 2 years to live as a best case scenario in october of 2015. You know damn well his stubborn ass will not let go easily still. He serves as a inspiration. Even when faced with a terminal illness, he tries to enjoy his life to the fullest extent. 

wow.

I thought he won the battle against cancer but I don´t watch his videos anymore.

Just now, Teddy07 said:

wow.

I thought he won the battle against cancer but I don´t watch his videos anymore.

Colon cancer is one of the worst from a survivability standpoint, even when you catch it early. The fact he has outlived their projections by this margin shows how well he has been treated, and how strong he is. Being faced with your own mortality is a strange thing. Some people take it well, some don't, and there is no wrong approach. It's all in how you cope.

-snip-

No disrespect towards other cancer patients, but it's mostly because he's really popular. And influences a lot of people. That's why it's in the news, it's just that simple really