Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

Well after some searching on Taobao still nothing worthy shows up, they have some stores can repair iMacs but you need to send your unit to China and to be honest, it won't worth it.But I really found tons of sales about iMac 27" 5k retina monitor so it might still have hope

I forgot if iMac 27 5k have difference with iMac Pro on screen but if it can use then you guys should try it and it costs about 4-500 Canadian currency now buying from China

but a product might have problems and overseas might be dangerous and for b you cant get in touch with the seller on time because time

Sorry pal

1 minute ago, ha1o2surfer said:

You're right about the 2 repairs, I figured the screen and motherboard were the 2 major repairs. You may be able to input a serial number with the same config maybe? :) 

I haven't had any of these in for repair yet so I am not 100% on parts availability.  Sometimes when Apple gets low on stock levels they will only approve warranty repairs until stock level reach a higher level so maybe that is what is going on.  I attached a screen shot of the stock prices the exchange prices are $899 for the logic board and $449 for the display

Untitled.png

1 minute ago, Travis S. said:

I haven't had any of these in for repair yet so I am not 100% on parts availability.  Sometimes when Apple gets low on stock levels they will only approve warranty repairs until stock level reach a higher level so maybe that is what is going on.  I attached a screen shot of the stock prices the exchange prices are $899 for the logic board and $449 for the display

Untitled.png

That makes total sense to me. I have seen this on the PC side too. My Aienware just got replaced when the keyboard space bar was flaky a couple days after I bought it lol Alienware is cheap compared to an iMac Pro.

If this is true, which is sounds very likely, I'm sure they could have said it in a better way. Or maybe the manager didn't want to grant him a replacement machine due to the user causing the problem. Apple probably took a risk and waiting for spare parts since the machine is so new they could save a few bucks. 

Perhaps try to buy a a broken iMac Pro. I'm sure that there is one somewhere without the screen being broken. Maybe.

I'm off to play far cry 5 for a while.  Hope you guys get this resolved as this is a stupid expensive machine to have as a paper weight.  Let me know if I can help at all

I would be suspect buying from anyone but apple.  This is most likely someone buying a new machine and breaking it down as parts to sell. Which I guess is ok if the price is right.

3 minutes ago, benmccardle said:

Perhaps try to buy a a broken iMac Pro. I'm sure that there is one somewhere without the screen being broken. Maybe.

quite unlikely I think most broken iMacs are broken displays

I mean how can a guy ruin his SSD in such a short time

31 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I’ll bite the bait

Don’t break something and then expect the company that made it be obligated to fix it just because “you are willing to pay them.” 

No, this is not the same as crashing a car since this machine had whatever insurance (the warranty and or Apple Care) it had voided the moment LTT decided to open it and in doing so they revoked their right to a repair. End of story. 

I will not be responding to any quotes or @‘s 

LOL what kind of half-thought-out BS is this?  

Even if there's no insurance, companies fix things that break because their customers demand it AND, get this, they can make even more money doing so.

If customers are unable to repair a product, and the company (cars, computers, whatever) tells them to just buy a new one, that company will eventually not have any more customers.  

What the hell kind of business model is that?  

"I'm sorry to hear that your iMac fell off the desk, instead of fixing the modular, mass-produced part that broke, why don't you buy a WHOLE NEW ONE, because our TOS says we don't give a damn.  Oh, when can we expect your next order, because there is NO WAY AT ALL that you're thinking about buying from a competitor?"

EDIT: Because it seems to be mandatory in this thread: have you thought of using the display from a 5k iMac, also contact Louis Rossman and the guy from Strange Parts.

Edited by OTG
Enhancing

13 minutes ago, Bobguo20010714 said:

Well after some searching on Taobao still nothing worthy shows up, they have some stores can repair iMacs but you need to send your unit to China and to be honest, it won't worth it.But I really found tons of sales about iMac 27" 5k retina monitor so it might still have hope

And if you cant find anything worthy on Taobao that means it's dead, AF

Sorry pal

image.thumb.png.b8457f46722fc267cdd2edfe8fb57930.png

image.thumb.png.9c419cf914dce520ab111060c21920c1.png
I personally dont suggest using this way but it is a great choice 

3 minutes ago, Travis S. said:

I would be suspect buying from anyone but apple.  This is most likely someone buying a new machine and breaking it down as parts to sell. Which I guess is ok if the price is right.

They're also selling it for  1/5 the cost of the iMac Pro ($1027 USD) for just the display. Hate to see what the logic board would run. It's also on backorder with a possible 5 day ETA.

I work for an AASP, and we have been able to get parts for it since February. This was the repairs availability timeline Apple provided to us, so maybe talk with the Apple Store again. If not, feel free to shoot me an email via the address linked to this account, only thing is I am in Australia so would need it shipped here to be able to service it through my company!

December 18
  • Launch
  • ATLAS Training and Service Guides available in English
Late December
  • ATLAS training translations available
Early / Mid-January
  • Service part availability begins
  • Carry in repairs available, except for MLB and flash storage repairs
Late January
  • MLB Service Tray available
  • RAM repairs available
  • Service Guide translations available
Late February
  • MLB and flash storage repairs available
  • Mail in repairs available in Japan

Shall I assume you've already contacted Rossmann? because honestly I don't believe anyone is as well equipped to fix a mac as he is, including apple. I mean depending on the damage to the board and PSU a reasonably competent technician should be able to take care of that, it's the display that becomes an issue. of course if it has the same leads just in different places from the other 5k iMac you could potentially solder on new connectors, depending on the layout and type that may be easier said than done though

Does the LCD still work?

It'll more than likely use the same optical adhesive as iphones, so you can just remove the glass and stick a new custom one down (not easy but possible, may require a new polarizer (removing the glass scratches it))

Source some glass (of have a custom one made and painted, LTT orange) 

Heck if you where going to that trouble, you could also slip a capacitive digitizer in there.. hehe

In the video you guys mentioned PSU and Motherboard damage, you'd be better off paying Louis Rossman double rates than getting Apple to "fix" it.. :P

35 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Don’t break something and then expect the company that made it be obligated to fix it just because “you are willing to pay them.” 

No, this is not the same as crashing a car since this machine had whatever insurance (the warranty and or Apple Care) it had voided the moment LTT decided to open it and in doing so they revoked their right to a repair. End of story. 

In the US it's actually illegal to refuse warranty simply for opening a device http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43724348 granted that may not be so in Canada, but we are talking about a US company soooooo ehh. However they are under no such stipulation to cover accidental damage unless otherwise stated so yeah breaking it is bad but opening it as long as you don't break it is fine

I work for an AASP too and we could probably do the repair. The only thing is that we are near Montreal in Quebec so if you have no issue with shipping it to us we would be happy to help you.

14 minutes ago, Randarr said:

Shall I assume you've already contacted Rossmann? because honestly I don't believe anyone is as well equipped to fix a mac as he is, including apple. I mean depending on the damage to the board and PSU a reasonably competent technician should be able to take care of that, it's the display that becomes an issue. of course if it has the same leads just in different places from the other 5k iMac you could potentially solder on new connectors, depending on the layout and type that may be easier said than done though

The panel more than likely will be a different part, timing, pinouts and signalling will probs be different 

rebuild it.

get a multimeter, see whats blown in the psu, and solder/replace the component.. u can smell whats burnt, look for visual dues, or use the multimeter tto see if theres a connection on component's + - leads

for screen's connector, try ffigure out the pattern of wiring using comparable schematics and trial and error, use a comparable screen (say previous gen imac?) and solder either cut and rearrange the wires or solder them directly to the connector. worst case scenario, gat a ebay listing for parts and repairs.

cut short, this can be a fun diy project if u let it be

do i win a prize?

**for those spelling mistakes, i deserve a prize.

5 hours ago, krysta24 said:

You should be able to get repair for something like that. For example if you broke gearbox on month old car and they said sorry buy new one. Wood it be OK?

In fact US or EU (I'm not sure) considered some laws forcing manufacturers to offer repair or spare parts and providing third parties with repair manuals.

BTW. Except for customer protection it's really bad for environment.

Edit: links: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/calfornia-right-to-repair/ , https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/8/17097256/california-right-to-repair-bill-apple-microsoft-service-replace-parts

@GabenJr @LinusTech

The thing for this is that now its not really a question of if the parts are available, since they should now be widely available, its the fact that they will not repair it because it was modified by an unauthorized technician, they aren't meant to be user serviceable like that, it is Apple's stance on it.

Here is what their repair terms states regarding what has happened:

An original product that is inoperable due to unauthorized modifications or has failed due to catastrophic damage, such as the product separating into multiple pieces, are examples of a product that is ineligible for Out of Warranty Service.

Here is their Repair terms: https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/terms/repair/generalservice/servicetermsen/

6 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

Call apple support and ask for customer relations. That is the department which should have the power to authorize the repair or replace the machine. Don't worry about why or how I know this.

6 hours ago, SC2157 said:

I'm a senior advisor for Concentrix Canada and I deal daily with product like iPhone, iPad and iMac. (can't say anything mode due to NDA but I guess you can figure out what is my job) As a senior I deal with stuff like that and actually there is a department for customer relation for when the issue is not only tech related. Would love to take the case but I'm doing support mainly for the french queue.

This guy knows what's up. Call early and expect to be on hold because that's just how it is, but he's right.

Also, re-read your NDA and then edit your post. You want  to take identifying product names out. You support the operating system.

Edited by Handmeat

Question: what US and Canadian laws is it that Apple exactly is breaking by refusing to repair the iMac Pro? I tried doing a quick search for some but couldn't find any, so I was just curious if manufacturers are obligated to offer repair services for their devices.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Honestly this is not the big deal you are making it out to be. Your car analogy is horrible, you didn't drop it coming out of the store, you opened it and broke it. Try buying a new car messing with the alternator breaking it, then asking for a repair, you will likely encounter the same exact scenario. This is a VERY common thing with new cars, your analogy is just making Apple's argument stronger, despite you using a faulty analogy in your favor. That being said, yeah it doesn't look great, and I can understand the frustration, but you come off privileged as well.

The thinly veiled threat at the end hoping Apple sees this and bends to you to avoid bad PR is annoying. You've shown in previous videos that you like to use your name to get special treatment, makes you look super privileged. I believe it was some kickfarted episode or something with you saying "Listen, I didn't want to play this card, but I have a huge tech channel that would look bad if you don't fix this for me." C'mon man get over yourself, buy a new one, wait hoping it can be fixed, or vote with your wallet and write off Apple products.

In conclusion, I agree it's annoying as hell, and I would be frustrated as well.  IMO they should offer a new/refurbished one at what they would say the cost of repair would be, and make you surrender your old one.  Both sides are being petty IMO.