UPDATE 2: iOS 11.3.1 FIXES The iPhone 8 If You've Replaced The Screen

iamdarkyoshi
Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep this conversation civil and respectful.

Blanket accusations and insults will not be tolerated.

1 minute ago, Shakaza said:

The wall seems vulnerable and squishy at the moment, and this might be the chance to break through and find reason on the other side! It's a long shot, but I don't lose a whole lot by responding. :P

1 minute ago, Shakaza said:

Yay! That wasn't so hard, was it? I know it can be really hard to admit when you're wrong, so I really appreciate when people actually do so. :D

Go easy on fanboys, I was AMD hold out.  My laptops had APUs, gaming desktop was an FX, and my dedicated office computer was AMD A10 APU desktop.  Then my business became full time and I needed real servers, and now everything I have is Intel, not that I am anti-AMD, just bought what works, and what I could afford.  The point is fanboys can come around, but they have to come to the conclusion on their own, if you force it, they take it as personal attack and latch on.  I hold a Skype support group for recovering fanboys Fridays @9PM ESD.  The brand loyalty doesn't matter, Intel, AMD, Nvidia, we are here if you need us.

27 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Ok, I was wrong. 

See no ones going to hate you if you wrong. Im wrong all the fucking time lol. 

But you weren't necessarily wrong, just defending bad business practices. A better way to handle it would of been a few months ago announcing that they are no longer going to support third party parts and if the screen was already replaced to offer say a $30 discount and they would replace it for $120/140 for the 8/8+.

While still being bad that people can't replace parts on their own for a more reasonable price, its better than people updating and having a bricked phone with no clue why. 

22 minutes ago, JCMPTech said:

Go easy on fanboys,

Yeah, you're right. It can just be a bit frustrating sometimes.

@DrMacintosh I should apologize, tho, for being kinda rough with you. I just want you to know it was incredibly responsible and intelligent to make an admission like that. And I have to admit that I do appreciate that you defend Apple when it is even only somewhat reasonable to do so, because it gives a fresh perspective. And I also have to admit that this forum is somewhat biased against Apple, so it's definitely needed in some cases!

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Seems as though this isn't just happening with Screens, there's been multiple reports of this also happening with ambient light sensors on 8s & X's that have been unofficially repaired...

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Solution never buy apple products, seriously why people buy them currently is laughable if you want the software have someone make you a hackintosh even as a custom job it would likely be cheaper as for phones I don't seen any real benefit to their software there but I also don't care about phones.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

This looks bad. What's gonna happen to the 3rd party Apple repair market when the hammer falls all the way to the pallet?!

2 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

as for phones I don't seen any real benefit to their software there

The one advantage I could see, is that with their phones as locked down as they are, it's probably the better platform for those who seem to be malware magnets.  They'd be less likely to end up with an infected device, then (still not impossible, but the risk is reduced).

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

The one advantage I could see, is that with their phones as locked down as they are, it's probably the better platform for those who seem to be malware magnets.  They'd be less likely to end up with an infected device, then (still not impossible, but the risk is reduced).

I can personally say that iMessage/calls/facetime syncing between iOS/Mac OS is amazing and I've yet to hear of anything that works equally well. Plus not having to have my phone in the same state to use iMessage is also great on occasions. Being able to back everything up to iCloud and restore to a new device is also easy/convenient -- and that also includes my conversation history from the past 4.5 years, which is something I wouldn't want to give up as I do go through old messages often enough when I'm looking for something. Then there's also prompt support, good resale value, and a few hardware reasons. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Sometimes I wonder what's worse, the service departments of car dealerships or the Genius Bar at Apple. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Steve jobs might have been the worlds biggest prick, but at least when he was in charge apple customers only got shafted once when they actually bought the product. Now it seems they get shafted with every second update.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Apple users remind me of victims who defend their abusers 

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 hour ago, TechGod said:

I never defended Apple. 

giphy.gif

I never said I agreed with them, but you seem rather defensive and upset enough to accuse someone of "needing help". People defending Apple for crap like this can't realize they're getting screwed with updates into buying a new phone.  Apple nerfs your phone performance because of the battery and people still said "oh it's fine they didn't tell me the phone slowed down" and now even genuine Apple replacement screens don't work because of a light sensor, this is pretty bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2z4pjgP-AM

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

People defending Apple for crap like this can't realize they're getting screwed with updates into buying a new phone.  -snip brought to you by Tunnlebear PIA- now even genuine Apple replacement screens don't work because of a light sensor, this is pretty bad.

Pretty sure this one is down to engineer fuck up. Apple's preferred the more subtle approach prior.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Only thing I can say is this.

Welcome to Apple. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Okay if apple is bricking the phone if you install a new display will it brick if you replace only the glass of the LCD like JerryRigEverything showed here: 

Comic Sans!

44 minutes ago, SpeedyDucky said:

Okay if apple is bricking the phone if you install a new display will it brick if you replace only the glass of the LCD like JerryRigEverything showed here: 

Only the iPhone 8 is being bricked. Separating the glass is not recommended under any circumstance. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Only the iPhone 8 is being bricked. Separating the glass is not recommended under any circumstance. 

Ik only the iPhone 8 is being affected, it was just an example :). Even tho it's not recommended to separate screen and glass it wouldn't brick by doing it this way, correct?

Comic Sans!

Just now, SpeedyDucky said:

Ik only the iPhone 8 is being affected, it was just an example :). Even tho it's not recommended to separate screen and glass it wouldn't brick by doing it this way, correct?

No, you would just probably break the LCD though. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, you would just probably break the LCD though. 

Rephrase: if you take out the whole screen assembly and put it back, would it brick or is it only if you change it.

Comic Sans!

Can't use touch screen. No problem just get a bluetooth mouse like the Logitech MX Master 2 or Anywhere MX 2/s. Hook that up and viola, you can now use mouse to control iPhone. Take that Apple! HA! HA!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

25 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Can't use touch screen. No problem just get a bluetooth mouse like the Logitech MX Master 2 or Anywhere MX 2/s. Hook that up and viola, you can now use mouse to control iPhone. Take that Apple! HA! HA!

You'd have to pair it with the phone though. How are you going to do that if you can't use the touch screen? :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

You'd have to pair it with the phone though. How are you going to do that if you can't use the touch screen? :P

Crap, forgot to get to Bluetooth you still need to touch the screen. I know a wired mouse!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Not going to read through the full topic but intentionally bricking a device should be illegal even for apple... 9_9