This has LTT video written all over it: In socket, no lid cooling

Misanthrope

The Ncore V1-naked die cooling waterblock has hit Kickstarter

https://twitter.com/OC3D/status/981560424259780608

So there's a kickstarter for this water block that took this TR4 style system to mount not the CPU but the cooler itself:

This is where the NUDEcnc Ncore V1 and V1D naked die liquid coolers come in, offering users the opportunity to cool their CPU dies directly to offer up to a 10% improvement in thermal performance over already delidded CPUs and up to a 38% improvement over non-delidded hardware.  

The Ncore V1 will release with two models, the V1 which is designed for delidded CPUs only and can be mounted directly to your CPU's IHS using a unique "in-socket" tool/screw free installation process. The V1D can be installed on delidded and non-delidded CPUs and comes with a more traditional CPU mounting bracket, which can also be used to delid LGA1151 CPUs. 

Now I will admit: I am mostly an (un)educated viewer here when it comes to this kinds of overclocks. But I actually do know enough to realize that delidding is already kind of a bad prospect that carries a lot of risks. Now if you go beyond that into naked die contact well you're increasing efficiently but multiplying risks. If on top of that you trust the tolerances of the flimsy 115x mounting system and this kick-starter seems to be the kind of thing Linus would love to dedicate a video to. In fact I'm not too sure he isn't secretly just trollingly making this kickstarter himself. Already on it I'm being told.

Source: https://overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/the_ncore_v1-naked_die_cooling_waterblock_has_hit_kickstarter/1

-------

Current Rig

-------

About that.... :D

(those who are fans of aquatic aviation will get it)

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

probably worth a tiny bit of notice... Laptops and modern desktop graphics cards use this method for quite a long time already, I guess it's just new to the desktops?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

It seems it has some supports that sit on the PCB as well. As long as you don't scratch the die it looks fine... one problem with direct die is you're putting tons of stress on the die itself, but with those supports on the side it might be ok.

Also it's copper so LM is an option :). I just hope it doesn't cost too much...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It seems it has some supports that sit on the PCB as well. As long as you don't scratch the die it looks fine... one problem with direct die is you're putting tons of stress on the die itself, but with those supports on the side it might be ok.

Also it's copper so LM is an option :). I just hope it doesn't cost too much...

Ok that's fair, I guess this guys thought of, and I quote, "non-believers" like me:

image.png.64e6450dbc1fdf9ca794a76530c40886.png

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/341758082/ncore-v1-naked-die-cooling-waterblock-designed-by/description

-------

Current Rig

-------

I believe @Damascus already posted this

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

9 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Ok that's fair, I guess this guys thought of, and I quote, "non-believers" like me:

image.png.64e6450dbc1fdf9ca794a76530c40886.png

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/341758082/ncore-v1-naked-die-cooling-waterblock-designed-by/description

Linus has a video up on floatplane talking about this, it beats a supremacy evo on a delidded 7700k by 8-10c (10% ish) making it one of, if not the best cpu blocks on the market.

9 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

splash all over the place in haste.

He dumps water all over the motherboard in the video on this thing :P

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

He dumps water all over the motherboard in the video on this thing :P

I've seen the video, that's the joke. Floatplane through the website itself doesn't show here.

19 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Now I will admit: I am mostly an (un)educated viewer here when it comes to this kinds of overclocks. But I actually do know enough to realize that delidding is already kind of a bad prospect that carries a lot of risks. Now if you go beyond that into naked die contact well you're increasing efficiently but multiplying risks. If on top of that you trust the tolerances of the flimsy 115x mounting system and this kick-starter seems to be the kind of thing Linus would love to dedicate a video to. In fact I'm not too sure he isn't secretly just trollingly making this kickstarted himself.

The 115x mounting system is fine,as nice as Ryzen is i still prefer it to AMD's system which if the TIM acts as an adhesive you can rip the CPU out of the socket, though i'm assuming 115x isn't meant to be clamping down a copper block.  Securing that water block down to the bare die would still have me really nervous. Interesting to see how this works for extreme overclocking otherwise i don't see the point.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The 115x mounting system is fine,as nice as Ryzen is i still prefer it to AMD's system which if the TIM acts as an adhesive you can rip the CPU out of the socket, though i'm assuming 115x isn't meant to be clamping down a copper block.  Securing that water block down to the bare die would still have me really nervous.

The stock IHS is a copper block ;) this just replaces it for top tier thermals

8 minutes ago, Damascus said:

The stock IHS is a copper block ;) this just replaces it for top tier thermals

True, nickel plated copper although seeing that water block move a bit as its being shut into the socket seems sketchy to me.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

True, nickel plated copper although seeing that water block move a bit as its being shut into the socket seems sketchy to me.

Fair enough, though a deluded gpu will have the same wiggle if you don't glue it back together (best performance)

Ah yes, the good old days, where installing the CPU cooler a little too hard on one corner, would crack the cpu core, rendering it useless (this is also one of the reasons I got a Pentium 4 Northwood rather than an Athlon back in the days):

Athlon_XP_broken.jpg

And all because Intel is greedy using mud found in the backyard as tim.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

13 minutes ago, Notional said:

Ah yes, the good old days, where installing the CPU cooler a little too hard on one corner, would crack the cpu core, rendering it useless (this is also one of the reasons I got a Pentium 4 Northwood rather than an Athlon back in the days):

-Athlon CPU pic was here-

What intrigues me is that they obviously tests them all to bin them. So while they're binning, why not designate the non-k parts for mud and the parts they plan to sell as K chips to be fitted with an actually decent compound?

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 hours ago, Notional said:

I remember when people used to convex mirror polish their CPU coolers to get even better thermal performance.

9 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

What intrigues me is that they obviously tests them all to bin them. So while they're binning, why not designate the non-k parts for mud and the parts they plan to sell as K chips to be fitted with an actually decent compound?

The locked i7 8700 has a 4.6 turbo so i'd be surprised if they got binned that well. Intel likely figures the mud works fine for 95% of people but must know by now that people delid, soldering the chips can't cost much more but i'd pay another $10-20 for a soldered IHS.

Ooh , i like this

But i do see a few problems though :

-changing CPU requires a loop drain ( although that's not necessarily much of an issue because you'd never get a bad mount or need to change TP )

-leaks ?

-What about the capacitors and other stuff around the die ? The'd need to be properly insulated , lest they be shorted by the coolant.

8 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

It seems that while the paste used is certainly sub-par , a non-insignificant part of the problem us caused by the z-axis height , meaning contact isn't ideal .

Deliding has the benefit of removing the glue between the IHS and package.

8 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

The locked i7 8700 has a 4.6 turbo so i'd be surprised if they got binned that well. Intel likely figures the mud works fine for 95% of people but must know by now that people delid, soldering the chips can't cost much more but i'd pay another $10-20 for a soldered IHS.

The problem isn't so much the cost of solder . It's not really feasible to not solder the mainstream chips  . The S dies are some of the smallest intel has had in decades . Even with 6 cores , the 8700k is barely pushing 150mm² ( smaller than broadwell or ivy bridge ). You simply can't use solder for chips that small , 200mm² is the tipping point. The area isn't large enough for the chip to properly dissipate the heat associated with the process .

But there is absolutely no excuse for skylake X though...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

27 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I believe they are lidded before they get binned. Or maybe that was just intels bs excuse for using cheap mud as tim.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

So am I really the first floatplane member to say that this video is already out and on its way to youtube?

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

48 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

So am I really the first floatplane member to say that this video is already out and on its way to youtube?

Nah, it's been mentioned a couple times already 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

1 hour ago, AHaskin14 said:

Spoilers yo...

3 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

probably worth a tiny bit of notice... Laptops and modern desktop graphics cards use this method for quite a long time already, I guess it's just new to the desktops?

"new"(also extremely old, before the IHS i think there were some on die coolers) to those that arent extreme overclockers, yes

3 hours ago, Damascus said:

Linus has a video up on floatplane talking about this, it beats a supremacy evo on a delidded 7700k by 8-10c (10% ish) making it one of, if not the best cpu blocks on the market.

ok well there we go, im getting one. screw this EK shit, never liked this block anyway, build is crap and so are the temps.

2 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Ooh , i like this

But i do see a few problems though :

-changing CPU requires a loop drain ( although that's not necessarily much of an issue because you'd never get a bad mount or need to change TP )

-leaks ?

-What about the capacitors and other stuff around the die ? The'd need to be properly insulated , lest they be shorted by the coolant.

1: not with soft tube

2: yah, like with all watercooling this is an issue

3: i never bothered when i delided(yah pretty bad idea tbh) so this is probably even more fine

1 hour ago, AHaskin14 said:

no, Damascus beat you :P

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

1: not with soft tube

2: yah, like with all watercooling this is an issue

3: i never bothered when i delided(yah pretty bad idea tbh) so this is probably even more fine

-The cpu die will litterally be surrounded by water , and the block is held on by the socket mounting . Soft tubing doesn't change much ; if you try to remove the cpu the water will just spill out

- Agreed , but this is a different concern .I'm concerned because of the retention system . a normal loop is supposed to be completely sealed , it's a closed system . The only seal here is pretty much the pressure between the package and cooler .There's no roper seal.

-The coolant will likely be water-based , so conductive . Isolation when deliding is only needed when using a conductive paste ( metal ) , normal tim isn't an issue . If water touches those resistors/caps , they WILL be shorted , as they are within the cooling chamber

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case