Nimbus ExaDrive DC100: 100TB SSD

CptCarbonat

The biggest SSD yet was presented by Nimbus Data. The ExaDrive DC100 holds up to 100TB of data in a 3.5inch form factor. It is mainly for datacenter and cloud use, but I bet Linus would love to get his hands on a few of these. Also the drive is very energy efficient, as it only uses 10W in idle and 14W when under load. It has a SATA 6G interface, and thus is limited to about 500 MByte/s read and write with up to 100k IOPS. Later there is supposed to be a variant of the drive with a SAS interface. The drive is rated at 2.5 million hours Mean Time Between Failures.

Sources: http://nimbusdata.com/products/exadrive-platform/advantages/ https://www.anandtech.com/show/12541/unlimited-5-year-endurance-100-tb-ssd

"Unlimited write guarantee" well that's no surprise it takes more than 2 days to fully write it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

17 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

"Unlimited write guarantee" well that's no surprise it takes more than 2 days to fully write it.

*comes back in 50 years* 

Uhh can you replace mine?!

*company doesn't even exist anymore*

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Also terrible name, it's not even an exabyte

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

So now you can spend $200000 instead of just $40000 on drives :D 

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

19 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

*comes back in 50 years* 

Uhh can you replace mine?!

*company doesn't even exist anymore*

It's only for 5 years tho :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

46 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

This is not particularly surprising because it is impossible to write more than 43.2 TB of data per 24 hours at 500 MB/s, which equates to 43% of the 100TB drive. For those wondering, at that speed for five years comes to ~79 PB over the 5 year warranty of the drive (assuming constant writes at top speed for five years straight). 

When the interface speed gives it the product endurance lol

37 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

So now you can spend $200000 instead of just $40000 on drives :D 

A few reasons why they would spend more.

1/6 rack space needed, meaning smaller building.

1/4 of the power, 4x cheaper to run, less power failure devices (generators, batteries), less heavy power cabling.

with the less power means less heat which means 4x less AC/cooling needs. 

nimbus_data_exadrive_dc_series_-_present

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

10 000 of these in RAID 0 would be fun..................

I think that might require the entire world's supply of NAND

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

4 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

A few reasons why they would spend more.

1/6 rack space needed, meaning smaller building.

1/4 of the power, 4x cheaper to run, less power failure devices (generators, batteries), less heavy power cabling.

with the less power means less heat which means 4x less AC/cooling needs. 

This is exactly why something like this will sell even at these prices, power costs are limiting data centers. This literally changes data volumes from "we can't run that w/o a new power plant" to "okay we can do that, plus some more". Which is huge for the big data providers. 

Man i would love to swap these into my 4bay nas and have 300tb of space, but then i think about the cost of losing a single drive... Not even the monetary cost but either the cost of the time it would take to rebuild the raid or the cost of the lost data because something couldnt be restored. Something is going to have to change in data storage or im going to have to start running legit offline offsite backups once and a while to make sure i dont lose anything.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Imagine the existing storage servers Linus has built with these drives. ?

54 minutes ago, tabun said:

Imagine the existing storage servers Linus has built with these drives. ?

I am more imagining what  size data storage servers Google, Amazon and Microsoft can produce with these drives... 

On 3/20/2018 at 2:43 PM, AncientNerd said:

I am more imagining what  size data storage servers Google, Amazon and Microsoft can produce with these drives... 

True. With power consumption and rack space being the limiting factor in datacenters these days, this drive would provide exponential storage in the same footprint at a fraction of the energy consumption. That's a double-edged sword though...all that extra storage to save more info for data mining companies to invade our privacy. ? But I digress, as you can't blame the technology for the way it's used. 

On 2018. 03. 20. at 7:20 PM, silberdrachi said:

Man i would love to swap these into my 4bay nas and have 300tb of space, but then i think about the cost of losing a single drive... Not even the monetary cost but either the cost of the time it would take to rebuild the raid or the cost of the lost data because something couldnt be restored. Something is going to have to change in data storage or im going to have to start running legit offline offsite backups once and a while to make sure i dont lose anything.

That is why you mirror data content from your NAS to another one off site where you have another four of them :)

5 minutes ago, smartwizard said:

That is why you mirror data content from your NAS to another one off site where you have another four of them :)

I guess. Theoretically if you can afford a nas of these things you can afford offsite storage to back them up.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

17 hours ago, smartwizard said:

Tape backup, because it's the lowest $/TB that you can get and when you don't care about random IOPS because you aren't ever going to use the data (in theory).

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 3/20/2018 at 2:15 PM, The Benjamins said:

nimbus_data_exadrive_dc_series_-_present

Forgive me for using math, but ...

3264 drives in 136 enclosures = 24 drives per enclosure

990 drives in   11 enclosures = 90 drives per enclosure

That's some seriously crooked math, especially keeping in mind that the Samsung is a thick 2.5" drive and the Nimbus is a 3.5".  Those enclosures are definitely not the same size if they can put almost 4 times as many drives in there and the drives are larger as well.

Also there's no way that 16kW is 78% lower than 50kW.  Last I checked, 16kW is 32% of 50kW.

3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

-snip-

In fact, the perfectly packed volume of the Samsung SSDs is ~.34m3, while the Nimbus drives come to ~.3m3.

The Samsung drives will require much more mounting hardware, and I don't know how much space that'll take up, but both have a total drive volume less than half that of a 44U rack.

I imagine a large part of their claim is due to power -A single drive replaces 3, which means a third the heat and a third the power consumption. But then that would only account for a third reduction, not a sixth... Even in other slides they talk about an 85% reduction in space/cost/power, I really don't understand where they're getting their numbers. Maybe it's because they're designing reference high-capacity enclosures as well (Anandtech mentions that)?

Also, the Samsung drives have a total capacity of ~100.27PB, while the Nimbus server has ~99PB. It doesn't seem like much of a difference, but that's a whole petabyte, 500-1000 times the typical amount of storage in a desktop system.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

The Samsung drives will require much more mounting hardware, and I don't know how much space that'll take up

Not sure if they still do it, but back when I used OCZ SSDs (that'll be 2010-2012) they included a plate which allowed you to mount the 2.5" SSD in a 3.5" bay. 

5abfb6601482b_SSDtray.jpg.53a5618a517dcbe57eee241cea628551.jpg

With a similar mounting mechanism, one of the Samsung drives should slot right into the same space that one of the Nimbus drives uses, with more space for airflow due to the open space next to the SSD (the space over the OCZ logo in the picture above).  That means they can also put 90 Samsung drives in the enclosure, which puts me at less than 37 enclosures, not 136.

Given the same amount of space required per drive (which is easily doable with those 2.5" to 3.5" adapters), you need 3.3 times as much space for all the Samsungs (3264/990 = 3.29696...) compared to the Nimbus drives.  So I'm not sure how they go from six 45U racks to a single rack either.  Then again I'm no experts on racks.