Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

4 hours ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Anyways to the question

Found a bundle for sale:

Abit BE6-II (BX440), 

Pentium2 450MHz, 

GeForce2 Ti, 

Sound card,

512 MB RAM.

Just wondered what you guys and gals would pay for something like that.  It all works apparently

Around the 100-150$ mark. The most valuable components being a working slot 1 motherboard and a gf2 ti.

Now if this is like, some super rare sound card and memory alongside it, then probably more, but just going off of the average part value of a clean gf2 ti and slot 1 board, 100-150$

21 minutes ago, adarw said:

yea ik but really if it wasnt "vintage" it would be wothless, a rasberry pi can probly outperform those parts.

The performance isn’t the point, there’s a lot of other factors that determine the value of older hardware.

This motherboard is worth upwards of 8-900$ when it rarely ever shows up for sale:

C922A8FD-732D-430D-ADB6-2F9E0206203C.jpeg.6c6775613dff87b1ce8bd4516d51d2b8.jpeg
it’s an AOpen Ax4b 533, just any other 845 chipset socket 478 board except for one tiny feature. A tube amp.

Its also a CD player, like no OS required, built into the bios CD player.

It doesn’t matter that my cell phone makes a Pentium 4 look like it’s still sand, it’s simply cool hardware.

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

The performance isn’t the point, there’s a lot of other factors that determine the value of older hardware.

This motherboard is worth upwards of 8-900$ when it rarely ever shows up for sale:

C922A8FD-732D-430D-ADB6-2F9E0206203C.jpeg.6c6775613dff87b1ce8bd4516d51d2b8.jpeg
it’s an AOpen Ax4b 533, just any other 845 chipset socket 478 board except for one tiny feature. A tube amp.

Its also a CD player, like no OS required, built into the bios CD player.

It doesn’t matter that my cell phone makes a Pentium 4 look like it’s still sand, it’s simply cool hardware.

yea ik but... yea i got nothing to say... im guessing thats your dream mobo tho lol

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

41 minutes ago, adarw said:

yea ik but... yea i got nothing to say... im guessing thats your dream mobo tho lol

one of a few, i also want a dfi hybrid ion p45

because once again, yeah a Q9650 is ass in 2021, but this also has a tiny intel atom 230 and nvidia geforce 9400 build into it

76c.jpg.5c8e2787b6c1c8085c5024119df71e32.jpg

why? who the hell knows, i cant imagine a use case where i would ever need to have two systems running at the same time, where one is like, a decent core2quad and the other is barely able to open microsoft office

11 hours ago, 8tg said:

one of a few, i also want a dfi hybrid ion p45

because once again, yeah a Q9650 is ass in 2021, but this also has a tiny intel atom 230 and nvidia geforce 9400 build into it

76c.jpg.5c8e2787b6c1c8085c5024119df71e32.jpg

why? who the hell knows, i cant imagine a use case where i would ever need to have two systems running at the same time, where one is like, a decent core2quad and the other is barely able to open microsoft office

I miss that wild wild west man. With modern low power stuff you could probably make it work decent these days for an extra PC to handle streaming encode or something.

On 8/26/2021 at 2:32 PM, adarw said:

image.png.f123fc26abe2870e979e07bde251f5fa.png

update: i think it works, i put a ide harddrive that i didnt test (it said xp on some tape so it might have windows xp) i couldent test it out as it had no ram but i remebered i have 2 ddr 512 mb ram sticks that worked on it, i dont have any dvi cables so i cant really test it, fans work, theres a green light that lights...

-----------------

#

3 minutes ago, adarw said:

update: i think it works, i put a ide harddrive that i didnt test (it said xp on some tape so it might have windows xp) i couldent test it out as it had no ram but i remebered i have 2 ddr 512 mb ram sticks that worked on it, i dont have any dvi cables so i cant really test it, fans work, theres a green light that lights...

Funny, got that same CPU. Faster than the Pentiums of the era and shorter pipeline than most Pentium 4's (and a bit less hot...) 

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Funny, got that same CPU. 2800 whole mHz! Faster than the Pentiums of the era (and a bit less hot...) 

do you have a compatible mobo tho?

-----------------

#

Yes. The one with the exploded caps, the MSI one.

oh lol i really dont know what to do with it.

-----------------

#

Ah... no compatible board? Probably can be found for relatively cheap on ebay. Or free on the side of the road. Who knows? 

no its compatible but idk what to do with it... these things are litrly 10 bucks on ebay.

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, adarw said:

no its compatible but idk what to do with it... these things are litrly 10 bucks on ebay.

Yeah, the CPU is cheap AF. Board works, right? Stick an AGP card in it and get a nice XP gaming system.

or we could negotiate purchase... /j

or we could negotiate purchase... /j

hmmm....... im down but shiping wouldnt be worth it...

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, adarw said:

hmmm....... im down but shiping wouldnt be worth it...

Yeah, shipping these systems is a mess. Sadly had a fantastic Asus board ruined in shipping and the board also killed a rare-ish old GPU (I revived it in the oven later but still...) 

Just not worth it, I get it. I'll probably sell 2/3 of my XP systems if I get them working, I've got some old case boxes sitting around that I can cut the foam of to fit those cases. 

might buy it depending on how far it is... $20

a gpu with a remote, i present to you the ati 9600xt!: 

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

-----------------

#

23 hours ago, Bitter said:

I miss that wild wild west man. With modern low power stuff you could probably make it work decent these days for an extra PC to handle streaming encode or something.

It would still be limited to some very niche applications, but I could definitely see it being useful in various ways. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Current windows 98 PC

Pentium 3 coppermine 800EB
Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X-P 
256mb pc133 sdram
Geforce 3 Ti 200 64mb
Soundblaster Audigy 2 with break-out box
Seagate Barracuda 80gb hdd
LG CD-R/RW Drive GCE-8525B
Toshiba Samsung SH-D162 DVD Rom
Mitsumi floppy drive
Iomega Zip250

PXL_20210904_050000930_2.jpg

PXL_20210904_050219476.jpg

I still have this this. It's older than I am!

Up until the mid-late 90s my dad was a partner in a business that built computers and software for other businesses. Mostly they did mainframes and bespoke software, but they also assembled desktops. When I was a mini-Fruit I helped him build some on our living room floor.

This was the first CPU his company ever bought when they started. He kept it as a kind of trophy. I'm not sure if it was ever used or not, but as far as I know, it should still work! I unofficially inherited it after he passed. I've not really had the necessary equipment to test it, though.

386-1.png

386-2.png

8 hours ago, Gianthamster said:

Current windows 98 PC

Pentium 3 coppermine 800EB
Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X-P 
256mb pc133 sdram
Geforce 3 Ti 200 64mb
Soundblaster Audigy 2 with break-out box
Seagate Barracuda 80gb hdd
LG CD-R/RW Drive GCE-8525B
Toshiba Samsung SH-D162 DVD Rom
Mitsumi floppy drive
Iomega Zip250

Wow that's a shmexy case... 

Also - I've been trying to find that Audigy breakout box in white (and not a fortune) for a little while... 

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

I hate them. You need tape to keep them shut. With the standard cardboard boxes you don't have this problem.

Ah. I've seen some cases like that where it literally won't close no matter what. 

Still looks cool though... 

3 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Also - I've been trying to find that Audigy breakout box in white (and not a fortune) for a little while...

I've got the Fatal1ty set in my cupboard (card and front panel).  But that's black so i guess it's no good

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!