Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

what is this worth? saw it on a local marketplace. looks like a Hyperion Dynalogic but im confused why theres a red key on the keyboard. it comes with a bunch of original stuff and its bag but the seller says he doesn't guarantee it works. he says its the 3031 model. 

s-l640.jpg

s-l640.jpg

s-l640.jpg

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

9 minutes ago, adarw said:

what is this worth? saw it on a local marketplace. looks like a Hyperion Dynalogic but im confused why theres a red key on the keyboard. it comes with a bunch of original stuff and its bag but the seller says he doesn't guarantee it works. he says its the 3031 model. 

s-l640.jpg

s-l640.jpg

s-l640.jpg

Well it's definitely an early portable, probably a competitor to the Compaq Portable. I'd grab it if I were you, personally I'd go up to $250 for that. Looks in overall good condition, probably won't need extensive repair but will definitely need some fresh caps and perhaps more. Are you good with soldering?

Edit: also that red key looks like it's not actually got a switch under it if you know what I mean... just looks glued on, it doesn't seem to have any space beneath it but the picture isn't too clear.

18 minutes ago, 8tg said:

S3/Via Chrome uH4

One of the last Chrome cards, 2011ish

4 HDMI ports tho

so obscure that googling "via chrome GPU" doesn't even show any of these cards, just how to turn hardware acceleration on in google chrome lol. Love it!

13 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

so obscure that googling "via chrome GPU" doesn't even show any of these cards, just how to turn hardware acceleration on in google chrome lol. Love it!

It’s a via 5400EW chip onboard with 512mb of ddr3, directx 10.1 support, and 4 hdmi outputs

Honestly it’s the perfect gpu for someone who just needs a ton of displays, don’t gotta worry about any adapters or mixing digital or analog or anything 

A lot of these S3/Via Chrome cards flew under the radar for a long time. The Chrome 540 GTX for example was a competitor to the nvidia 9500GT but theyre just nonexistent now.

The idea was for Via to take their S3 integrated video chipsets and throw them onto a board with dedicated video memory and see what they can do, turns out, not a lot, but they’re tailored for media playback and support a lot of interesting small media features rather than games.

Also fun fact, all s3 chrome cards support multi gpu, up to 2 cards but with a similar connection to how crossfireX works without a bridge cable 

10 minutes ago, 8tg said:

It’s a via 5400EW chip onboard with 512mb of ddr3, directx 10.1 support, and 4 hdmi outputs

Honestly it’s the perfect gpu for someone who just needs a ton of displays, don’t gotta worry about any adapters or mixing digital or analog or anything 

A lot of these S3/Via Chrome cards flew under the radar for a long time. The Chrome 540 GTX for example was a competitor to the nvidia 9500GT but theyre just nonexistent now.

The idea was for Via to take their S3 integrated video chipsets and throw them onto a board with dedicated video memory and see what they can do, turns out, not a lot, but they’re tailored for media playback and support a lot of interesting small media features rather than games.

Also fun fact, all s3 chrome cards support multi gpu, up to 2 cards but with a similar connection to how crossfireX works without a bridge cable 

how did you find one?

-----------------

#

4 minutes ago, adarw said:

how did you find one?

Ebay

seems recently a bunch of these specific uh4’s are being sold

i say a bunch, 2 listings, but I’ll take it

I’ve been looking for these for a while and it’s not a 540 GTX in it’s box but this is good enough for my collection 

17 hours ago, adarw said:

That's definitely a Hyperion.  It was a Compaq clone that probably failed because it's not 100% IBM compatible.  The red key is just a fake novelty keyboard key.  I believe it says "Panic". 

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

1 hour ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

That's definitely a Hyperion.  It was a Compaq clone that probably failed because it's not 100% IBM compatible.  The red key is just a fake novelty keyboard key.  I believe it says "Panic". 

i did some research and it turns out it released a month before the Compaq so technically you can say it was the first portable.

-----------------

#

20210825_105718.thumb.jpg.0488e3bc8dc00dbb5360b59a7ab4b717.jpg

Little bit of PC gaming history.  Boxed for £3.  Bargain

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Found this guy in a huge box of drives to destroy in the school tech room, I asked if I could keep it and they said yes. Does anyone know what this would have gone to? It’s SCSI/Molex power so that dates it a bit, it’s got custom rails to slide into a workstation or server tool less case, and it’s made by IBM. No DOM but the copyright date is ‘94. It says “DFHS” on it, perhaps the format it’s in?

image.thumb.jpg.9ff6fd44eb81fc49ff1642037ed64212.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.22a012206b6c4df3c6b341b1c8f4e382.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.f1bcff006f2533d9531806f11f1f36b5.jpg

Edit: after looking up every number on the drive, I found that it's probably the same (or at least very similar) drive as this:

86G9123 IBM 1GB SCSI 3.5-inch Internal Hard Drive (servers4less.com)

It's a 1gb drive, don't know what speed.

6 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

No DOM but the copyright date is ‘94.

Also has a date on the Molex

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

1 minute ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Also has a date on the Molex

Yeah, several of the chips have the number 98 on them as well so I assume that's closer to when this unit was made

Edit: I just saw it literally has the DOM on the Molex. My bad, from '96. 36th week possibly?

6 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yeah, several of the chips have the number 98 on them as well so I assume that's closer to when this unit was made

Edit: I just saw it literally has the DOM on the Molex. My bad, from '96. 36th week possibly?

Probably

Found this listing for one

https://www.servers4less.com/storage/hard-drives/ibm-ec486509

Seems to be a 2.2GB model

Just now, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Probably

Found this listing for one

https://www.servers4less.com/storage/hard-drives/ibm-ec486509

Seems to be a 2.2GB model

It's 25% off! Only $483 for a SCSI drive you could find almost identical ones of for $12! Good deal.

@Mel0nMan  There are several pages you can browse if you google "ec486509 ibm"

I disassembled that drive (don’t worry it was already broken). I was quite surprised to see that it opened like a cursed pizza cutter. I recorded a video on it, once I get it edited I will share the clip. But here it is:

image.thumb.jpg.bdf6857b412f304da500ce987eeac1db.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.ace6d63acb8f716989ffed52038a0b9b.jpg

I assume the missing heads and platters are because ibm used the same chassis and head assembly for the 1 and 2gb model, they just connected the other heads and added 2-3 more platters on needed models. The arm of the heads are there, there’s just not the part that touches the disk, and they aren’t wired up either.

More drives from the it graveyard! Pretty sure the Maxtor is the oldest from ‘04, and the newest is one of the laptop ones from 2016. A couple have holes drilled through them for data destruction but will still be fun to disassemble.

image.thumb.jpg.2d6eaa9da68306d0c486c8b5970c3ebf.jpg
Unfortunately I have to render these drives inoperable, that won’t be satisfying, but luckily the Seagate drives have a built in feature that does that automatically after a few years.

3 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Ooh, I'd love to see images of their insides!

By the way, only the 7200.11 series of hard drives has that firmware bug. The 7200.10 and 7200.12 hard drives aren't affected, though they still have various other firmware issues.

Yeah, that was mainly a joke about the head crashes notorious on some of those older Seagates. I’m making videos on them but once I finish all of them I definitely will post some pictures. 

Edited by Mel0nMan

some things i got for free on kijji! 

image.png.893b027ab5b41385d32b9a6c114af677.png

6wFWLapIqyAEz5pYQwwwijID7WNb3guIqCtbp41FSGMebxIqJ6huvVKJIhjEwAs3EWcAnTKFqWAaXF-CbhHscuNGQrr9sfQ3rET0FFrRp2KWxTgHUmenHLRrUuetolNRQMwdMWoW9KgnVoiRWxN_bXoTttY9qV0L4SohypV9xTSalWyCAdmJIx3jOtiJF2UI6bKhgWPUt8dyG3JBhMuFJspE5My_re8C4vpe6fKuUBqwRDc_Bkc1adIVgKWPapCi9K1YQMynRiMNNEgQnLk1upVb8F743GyLhbkdVrKEThOWlXkoV3GvZV0v0RGCo92Z_uYzMgzB_TSa_hivbpwiF-7Egyw4KSba4ddRp8SY8VR15EcKZqftkDs-Bqf-Ksgx_m_hQFFE3NpofgTiFsF-7pgCV9bGXq6vGeEKc_ybe4RsTYgtQTifwps0MpgdUMTxilHBTUxR0wotiUniJy6Xlr6XASbEbVZpIMu2r-Rcx1EM9s0oRFf0L6fS-uGm4OM_7fFm5wuK0l1-vM4XzUH5WV-FAGvNPdQegqf4Z_xybMNDHt92yRarVZa7YE2sDvNdXbrV8Ada6FFvyTHKutjmyRN8EvYynaa2Gy_08KaBPHAoH0njfXx7AtDipwHDpBl2Ep-rY3WzERl1PqmYyezUORg1SzetIxjztmuUH3g4GGoRtTIYUvL5thqGqyyFJamWsAmeIHlTYWi7tnRRVD4-9fY=w1046-h697-no?authuser=0

couldent get the cooler off but i think the cpu is a athlon xp since this came with it.

image.png.f123fc26abe2870e979e07bde251f5fa.png

image.thumb.png.f3413a241b30bfd4deeda69561bfd0fc.png

got a bunch of ide harddrives - idk if there are any viruses so i cant test them.

image.png.451873ae3da11a37d3029ad2e1ac093e.png

image.png.c92af877b08d6d0d0b44f30f01af947b.png

image.thumb.png.01152f6fcc40ca2438d70178a2c0eade.png

i seriously dont know this is so any help would be nice.

image.thumb.png.e1e176647e6926e60edd321e283932a0.png

there was also this (idk what it is)

image.thumb.png.2b9d05813aa93cdee7d8e9264448f378.png

and this but again i dont know what it is. has some bad capacitors tho.

image.png

-----------------

#

18 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

I disassembled that drive (don’t worry it was already broken). I was quite surprised to see that it opened like a cursed pizza cutter. I recorded a video on it, once I get it edited I will share the clip. But here it is:

image.thumb.jpg.bdf6857b412f304da500ce987eeac1db.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.ace6d63acb8f716989ffed52038a0b9b.jpg

I assume the missing heads and platters are because ibm used the same chassis and head assembly for the 1 and 2gb model, they just connected the other heads and added 2-3 more platters on needed models. The arm of the heads are there, there’s just not the part that touches the disk, and they aren’t wired up either.

Plug it in, spin it up, and you have a powered pizza cutter from hell.

2 hours ago, adarw said:

got a bunch of ide harddrives - idk if there are any viruses so i cant test them.

Viruses on IDE drives likely won't work on Windows 10. Plus, if you put em in a caddy and connect it after boot it's near impossible for a virus on the drive to actually start running and do something.

4 minutes ago, Waegugin said:

Plug it in, spin it up, and you have a powered pizza cutter from hell.

Sadly I had to cut the ribbon cable to open the drive fully. I was actually considering resoldering it and just powering it off of a 9v battery to do this though. 

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Viruses on IDE drives likely won't work on Windows 10. Plus, if you put em in a caddy and connect it after boot it's near impossible for a virus on the drive to actually start running and do something.

its not really worth buying a caddy so i guess i could try it on my future test pc (got a core2duo with mobo- i need ram tho)

-----------------

#