Almost 4% Of Global NAND Flash Destroyed For March

Lurick

A recent power outage at one of Samsung's facilities in South Korea has destroyed roughly 3.5% of the global NAND flash supply for March, in a single 30 minute period. A brief power outage caused the destruction of roughly 50,000 to 60,000 V-NAND flash wafers. While it does seem like a lot, the good news is the production line itself was not damaged and is back online and churning out more chips. I hope the impact is minimal in the long run, which Samsung seems to believe as well, as they have a stockpile already which should allow them to fulfill short term needs while the facility resumes production.

A half-hour power outage at Samsung’s fab near Pyeongtaek, South Korea, disrupted production and damaged tens of thousands of processed wafers. Media reports claim that the outage destroyed as much as 3.5% of the global NAND supply for March, which may have an effect on flash memory pricing in the coming weeks.

The outage happened on March 9 and lasted for about 30 minutes, according to a news story from Taiwain-based TechNews that cites further South Korean reports. The report claims that the outage damaged 50,000 to 60,000 of wafers with V-NAND flash memory, which represent 11% of Samsung’s monthly output. The report further estimates that the said amount equates to approximately 3.5% of global NAND output, but does not elaborate whether it means wafer output or bit output.

Link:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12535/power-outage-at-samsungs-fab-destroys-3-percent-of-global-nand-flash-output

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I guess this'll give them an excuse to raise prices. Gotta recoup them costs...right?

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

destroyed roughly 3.5% of the global NAND flash supply

Um, no, it destroyed 3.5% of the output for march, or a bit under a third of a percent for the year. So any medium term effects of this will be negligible, although there may be a minor price increase in the short term.

1 minute ago, ravenshrike said:

Um, no, it destroyed 3.5% of the output for march, or a bit under a third of a percent for the year. So any medium term effects of this will be negligible, although there may be a minor price increase in the short term.

Adjusted to be more clear. Thanks for the point out :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

It almost seems intentional at this point. Why on Earth would you not have backup power for critical applications?

Imagine if hospitals said the same: whoops 12 patients died; sorry we forgot to plug in emergency power.

15 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

It almost seems intentional at this point. Why on Earth would you not have backup power for critical applications?

They would do, it was probably a power distribution failure.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

They would do, it was probably a power distribution failure.

People seem to forget the backup systems are prone to failure too

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, leadeater said:

It's even better when it's the backup system that causes the failure in the first place lol.

lmao that happened the first week of this internship... the generators kicked in by accident and blew a transformer outside and the power went out. When your work day ends at 9:30 lol

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Yeah right, and the prices will double because 3%of supply is gone, more market tricks so they make x2 money from the nand stockpiles they have.

I don't really get where people are saying the price is going to jump up. There's been a supposed shortage for what? A year now? And you walk into your local supermarket and thumb drives are still 30CAD for a 32GB thumb drive just like they have been for 3 or 4 years.

Unless things are substantially different in the US and Europe than they are here in Canada...

Nooo. Can we stop with memory/NAND price increase. It's definitely nowhere near as bad as graphics cards prices but yeah. 

That cheap 1TB SSD dream. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Nooo. Can we stop with memory/NAND price increase. It's definitely nowhere near as bad as graphics cards prices but yeah. 

That cheap 1TB SSD dream. 

seriously need low prices on larger SSDs. games are getting larger and loading far more stuff 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

seriously need low prices on larger SSDs. games are getting larger and loading far more stuff 

Yeah, I mean i have boot SSD. More than fine. Though would like a larger one for games. It's commodity for sure having a large SSD for like mass storage other than just small one for boot. 

Got 4TB HDD space as well, it's near full. But still HDD for games like FFXV with such storage requirements. They're cheap. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I don't really get where people are saying the price is going to jump up. There's been a supposed shortage for what? A year now? And you walk into your local supermarket and thumb drives are still 30CAD for a 32GB thumb drive just like they have been for 3 or 4 years.

Unless things are substantially different in the US and Europe than they are here in Canada...

Flash drives use slower NAND, but even there the price drops that should happen with normal advancement of tech hasn't happened. the price is just staying where it was 3 years ago.

However, RAM is where it really sucks. 16GB DDR4 goes for $150USD (200CAD) for the slowest set, and nicer kits can cost upwards of $200USD

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

5 hours ago, Nicnac said:

wow. shows how dependent the whole industry is on one supplier. This is not good

I am not sure what you would expect from the industry where that one supplier is the biggest player with ~38% market share. 

I know I know, we all want that competition, which is by far the most favorite word on this forum, but this is not a cheap competition, and I'm getting the feeling people that are expecting magic and miracles to happen.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

No no no no nooooooo. Please no more bad news about memory and flash production.

So... time for good news?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-samsung-elec-semiconductors/samsung-electronics-says-to-start-building-new-china-memory-chip-line-this-month-idUSKCN1GR06M?il=0

https://www.techpowerup.com/242195/chinas-tsinghua-unigroup-to-manufacture-3d-nand-flash-for-intel

http://www.eenewsanalog.com/news/chinese-3d-nand-flash-coming-year

Which for reasons unknown were not featured here.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

7 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I am not sure what you would expect from the industry where that one supplier is the biggest player with ~38% market share. 

I know I know, we all want that competition, which is by far the most favorite word on this forum, but this is not a cheap competition, and I'm getting the feeling people that are expecting magic and miracles to happen.

I'm not expecting anything ^^ Just saying this is not good (obviously)

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

3 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

You'll see at most a 10% price increase in the short term, with the only exceptions being people trying to price gouge because of the news and not because of increased costs to aquire the chips. There's nothing really critical launching in the next two months that would see ony different sort of behavior. Now, if this had happened during the lead in to the iPhone launch it would be a different matter.

On 3/17/2018 at 7:17 AM, Nicnac said:

wow. shows how dependent the whole industry is on one supplier. This is not good

Quadrotriticale

Image result for tribbles

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

14 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

Quadrotriticale

Image result for tribbles

Tribbles, the poor man's substitute for flat cats.