Waymo’s self-driving trucks will start delivering freight in Atlanta

NTDaws

Waymo has been working with google to integrate the technology into the operations of these massive shippers and carriers. I like the idea of this, but I feel like there could be a loss of jobs because of this. Though it will be a good environment to work around for these trucks in Atlanta.

Spoiler

Trucking_Pacifica.jpg

Waymo first began testing its autonomous technology on Class-8 tractor trailers last year in California and Arizona. In January, the company brought some of its self-driving minivans to Atlanta for mapping and public testing. Google’s data centers have been located in the Atlanta region since 2003, so the idea to move into a new phase of testing involving the company’s trucks seemed like an organic next step.

Waymo is limiting its deliveries to within its own corporate circle. The self-driving company has yet to express an interest in brokering deliveries between shippers and receivers like Uber has with its Uber Freight venture.

Waymo and Uber had settled a lawsuit in February on allegations that Uber had stolen Waymo's self-driving secrets. It had centered around Uber's acquisition of the self-driving truck startup Otto.

What are your thoughts on these self-driving trucks?

Credit to The Verge

Editor: Andrew J. Hawkins

Link

The geek himself.

First of all, there will be a loss of jobs, bu then again that's nothing new. Everyone is trying to save money, be more efficient, automation and loss of jobs is inevitable. That's why linus and luke have talked several times about the inevitability of needing a Universal Basic Income

Second, I think self driving semi's will be fine. I look forward to it

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

I think of self-driving trucks the same way I do of other autonomous things; all they really do is take jobs away from people. In this case, the truckers.

Like that burger flipping robot in California, all it really does is take jobs away from people that could use the money.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

For automation that replaces jobs, would they implement physical automation tax?  In the past, automation is usually only profitable if done on a large scale.  So, put in regulations favoring people and very small businesses and pull the legislative rug out from corporations.  More representative, independence and self reliance is the goal.  Universal Basic Income will only feed a downward spiral of government dependency and people just letting go of the desire to put in any effort to live a worth while and environmentally and socially friendly life.  I see increase in violence and theft of opportunity as this will be the only way to get ahead.  Otherwise, why put in the effort if 80% of anything you earn goes to someone else not working.  Gone will be the checks and balances of effort versus reward.  For humanity to succeed, people need to be able to fail from their own devices.  When AI is eventually put in charge, AI will eventually have to pull the plug from mess of humanity.      Extinction.  

this is like saying tv killed the radio, cars and train killed the horse, automated telephones killed the switchboard operator, computers killed the people that used typewriters etc... People keep trying to stop the future and humans are for the most part averse to changes.

Safer for everyone on the road (the most scary accidents on the road are of trucks that can't stop in time especially in traffic) and more economical to operate.

Never going to Alanta then. I forsee issues with either software freezes or these machines being hacked.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, asus killer said:

this is like saying tv killed the radio, cars and train killed the horse, automated telephones killed the switchboard operator, computers killed the people that used typewriters etc... People keep trying to stop the future and humans are for the most part averse to changes.

Safer for everyone on the road (the most scary accidents on the road are of trucks that can't stop in time especially in traffic) and more economical to operate.

The first issue is that there's yet to be proof that Automated Trucking will actually be more cost effective than Driver Operated. Everything actually points to it being more expensive, and even increased utilization arguments don't hold up since carry capacity is almost never the limitation in any shipping.

What's coming seems pretty obvious to me, but so many of the Techno-Futurists (who really seem more obsessed with destroying jobs via massive government subsidization) don't get, is that voting populations are going to require a driver always be in the vehicle. It's a good compromise, but it turns all of their work into a really advanced cruise control.

18 minutes ago, asus killer said:

the problem is our current system isn't built to handle these changes. unskilled laborers need to do /something/ to make their money.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Unlike those flawless human drivers, amirite

I think that most drivers need their licenses revoked, but I'd still trust the average dipshit more than a machine when it comes to driving.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I'm not sure I like the idea of humans sharing the same roads as the autonomous vehicles, but maybe I don't know just how good this enterprise AI is. *shrugs*

I personally hate driving, it gives me anxiety. Humans weren't meant to be in control of several ton death machines flying around eachother at 30-60+ MPH

9 hours ago, Being Delirious said:

but I feel like there will be a loss of jobs because of this.

There, fixed that for ya

8 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The first issue is that there's yet to be proof that Automated Trucking will actually be more cost effective than Driver Operated. Everything actually points to it being more expensive, and even increased utilization arguments don't hold up since carry capacity is almost never the limitation in any shipping.

What's coming seems pretty obvious to me, but so many of the Techno-Futurists (who really seem more obsessed with destroying jobs via massive government subsidization) don't get, is that voting populations are going to require a driver always be in the vehicle. It's a good compromise, but it turns all of their work into a really advanced cruise control.

Your trying to apply 20th century market economies and culture to a 21st century technology. 

8 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

the problem is our current system isn't built to handle these changes. unskilled laborers need to do /something/ to make their money.

As above,  More jobs have been lost to recessions (even in the last 10 years)  than any automation has ever done.  We still keep moving forward.  If people become financially ruined because of automation you have a problem with your society not the technology.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Your trying to apply 20th century market economies and culture to a 21st century technology. 

Last Mile Problem. Pedestrian Problem (which is more intense with trucking). Liability Problem.

"Advanced Autopilot" is the future.Which will be mostly self-driving cars with a human in there being both responsible and dealing with the odd issues that crop up. It's a surprisingly easy solution to the issue, much like with factory automation. But, as I said, there is deep questions about the economic viability of Automated Trucking. You're replacing expensive vehicles with even far more expensive vehicles when there's little in the way of efficiency to be had. "Cool Tech" is cool, but I don't see you using a MiniDisc player.

22 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Last Mile Problem. Pedestrian Problem (which is more intense with trucking). Liability Problem.

"Advanced Autopilot" is the future.Which will be mostly self-driving cars with a human in there being both responsible and dealing with the odd issues that crop up. It's a surprisingly easy solution to the issue, much like with factory automation. But, as I said, there is deep questions about the economic viability of Automated Trucking. You're replacing expensive vehicles with even far more expensive vehicles when there's little in the way of efficiency to be had. "Cool Tech" is cool, but I don't see you using a MiniDisc player.

Mini disc player got replaced by an mp3 player (which in turn got replaced with internet connected phones).  Manned autopilot will just get replaced with an unmanned something else.   They already have passenger carrying trains with no drivers in London (no anyone on board).  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 3/9/2018 at 1:55 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

Depends on if there's any collaboration in tech, and how it scales down to each type of vehicle. The efficiency comes from saving driver wages, insurance, not having to deal with driver error, mandated breaks that take away from drive time, drivers getting hooked on drugs, and then fuel becomes your only limiting factor for non-stop deliveries. Yes, initial cost will probably make it seem like less of a savings, but many logistics companies have already ran the numbers and approve. 

All industries have been restructured to account for technological innovation. Some jobs have been lost, and others have risen in their stead. Ultimately, there will be a diminishing effect to jobs created in my opinion, as tech and AI advance into other industries, but hopefully society by that point will have figured out a realistic scenario for basic income.

43 minutes ago, divito said:

Depends on if there's any collaboration in tech, and how it scales down to each type of vehicle. The efficiency comes from saving driver wages, insurance, not having to deal with driver error, mandated breaks that take away from drive time, drivers getting hooked on drugs, and then fuel becomes your only limiting factor for non-stop deliveries. Yes, initial cost will probably make it seem like less of a savings, but many logistics companies have already ran the numbers and approve. 

All industries have been restructured to account for technological innovation. Some jobs have been lost, and others have risen in their stead. Ultimately, there will be a diminishing effect to jobs created in my opinion, as tech and AI advance into other industries, but hopefully society by that point will have figured out a realistic scenario for basic income.

3D Printing. It was going to be the biggest thing in the world! Everyone was going to have a 3D Printer in their home. It's the wave of the future!

Turns out to be amazing for certain industrial & spec manufacturing, very useful for rapid prototyping, but it's almost never going to see Home Use because it simply requires too much.

It isn't like we haven't gone through this before. The issue isn't the tech existing; it's always the implementation & utility cost. Into a massively mature industry like shipping, every step has to be cost-effective for the end-user. This isn't something you can do in a VC-like approach with lots of money and attempting to make up the massive losses later via an IPO. This will follow the path of most Industrial Application technologies: stepwise increase of the productivity of the Human Operator.

The main benefits will likely be with highway transport, rather than local short-haul, but expect laws requiring "Drivers" in the vehicles. The only place to expect to find fully autonomous driving is with the Military. Supply convoys are always weak points, so it's kind of easier to not have to defend them directly. (That gets expensive, quickly, though.) When you can isolate down the inputs & outside effects, the automated processes can be leveraged to work very well. 

I do expect Tesla's battery powered short-haul to be of interest to quite a number of companies. Especially ones with very active warehouse systems. 

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

3D Printing. It was going to be the biggest thing in the world! Everyone was going to have a 3D Printer in their home. It's the wave of the future!

Turns out to be amazing for certain industrial & spec manufacturing, very useful for rapid prototyping, but it's almost never going to see Home Use because it simply requires too much.

I think it's a little much to stretch it as analogous to 3D printing. 3D TVs, printing, and VR are all gimmicks. Autonomous driving, in consumer and logistical form hold much more potential from what I've seen in my opinion. Regulatory hurdles will always abound with certain areas of technology.

30 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

he main benefits will likely be with highway transport, rather than local short-haul, but expect laws requiring "Drivers" in the vehicles. The only place to expect to find fully autonomous driving is with the Military. Supply convoys are always weak points, so it's kind of easier to not have to defend them directly. (That gets expensive, quickly, though.) When you can isolate down the inputs & outside effects, the automated processes can be leveraged to work very well. 

Volkswagen is building the Vizzion which uses Level 5 autonomy* slated for a 2022 release (will probably get delayed though).

*Level 5 is fully autonomous with zero part of the driving handled by the "driver" and doesn't even have driving controls available to the humans inside.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

15 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Volkswagen is building the Vizzion which uses Level 5 autonomy* slated for a 2022 release (will probably get delayed though).

*Level 5 is fully autonomous with zero part of the driving handled by the "driver" and doesn't even have driving controls available to the humans inside.

I could see them releasing a car like that, but only in certain areas. Likely places in Europe, where it's much easier to sort out the issues that might arise. I'm kind of excited to see it. Automated driving, once they iron it out, will be a great piece of technology. I think 2022 is awfully ambitious though.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, divito said:

I think it's a little much to stretch it as analogous to 3D printing. 3D TVs, printing, and VR are all gimmicks. Autonomous driving, in consumer and logistical form hold much more potential from what I've seen in my opinion. Regulatory hurdles will always abound with certain areas of technology.

3D Printing is big business and has changed a whole lot of things in areas you don't see, however it isn't the wunderkind technology it was being heralded as during the mid-2000s.

Automated Driving, as an ultra-advanced cruise control, is going to slowly come into the top-end models and work its way down to mid-tier models of cars over the next 15 years. Level 4 will enter the market over the next few years, but it's likely to always be on fairly expensive cars only. The sensor package maintenance and liability issues are never going away.

44 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I was going to put out that a Level 5 would never be allowed on the roads in most of the World, as it doesn't qualify as a "car" in most of the modern world. But then I realized that in the USA, they'd be automatically banned. A Level 5 autonomous vehicle would actually be, properly, a guided munitions platform and banned under Arms Control laws. They're GPS & Ground-tracking Radar delivery platforms. 

The tech will be pretty fun in the 2030s, after all of the civil wars currently on trend in most Modern economies. 

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I was going to put out that a Level 5 would never be allowed on the roads in most of the World, as it doesn't qualify as a "car" in most of the modern world. But then I realized that in the USA, they'd be automatically banned. A Level 5 autonomous vehicle would actually be, properly, a guided munitions platform and banned under Arms Control laws. They're GPS & Ground-tracking Radar delivery platforms. 

The tech will be pretty fun in the 2030s, after all of the civil wars currently on trend in most Modern economies. 

Thanks, desk chair lawyer!

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

7 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

3D Printing is big business and has changed a whole lot of things in areas you don't see, however it isn't the wunderkind technology it was being heralded as during the mid-2000s.

That's because for some people it was and still is the best thing since sliced bread.   It's also still a developing technology.   However the important bit is that we remember that is only for some people.  Getting excited about fancy new appliances does not detract from the enormity that converging technologies like automated logistics, decentralized networks and the IOT is going to have a massive effect on how society operates.    This is why it is important to differentiate between how revolutions come to be and how the world changes as a result.   There are commonalities between the previous two revolutions and what is shaping up to be the next.  The biggest one was the massive shift in cultural thinking from before to after each revolution.   Hence why I say we can't  judge 21st century technology using 20th a century mindset.  

Imagine if they didn't build trains because some people thought the result of two people operating one machine that does the job of 20 people and 30 horses would land the country in ruin.   

Start looking into the big rigs cab and see who's driving it.

I have a few friends who drive truck, both lifers, ones long haul across the border, the other does the same route, and they tell some interesting stories. I dont know if they are owner/operators or not.