Tunnelbear Acquired by McAfee

CPotter

Hey!

I'm sure some of you have heard about Tunnelbear being acquired by McAfee, and if you haven't, see below:

https://beta.techcrunch.com/2018/03/08/mcafee-acquires-vpn-company-tunnelbear/

We have an existing contract in place with them for sponsorships that runs until the end of March. In the meantime, we'll be talking with the folks over there and looking into the situation further.

Rest in pieces TunnelBear. May your guilt-tripping uninstaller be forever missed.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

IMO TunnelBear always seemed like one of those "average dummy" VPNs like Cyberghost and Hotspot Shield. Never even thought for a second about using it.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

Hopefully McAfee doesn't touch Tunnelbear. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Besides monitoring and logging.. I'd bet they'll leave it running

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Fine with me. I never liked Tunnelbear. The one time I tried it, it left my computer with no functioning network devices. Ended up having to reinstall Windows. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, unijab said:

Besides monitoring and logging.. I'd bet they'll leave it running

Never use a VPN that logs. period. if there's logs, the government (might as well) have it. Additionally, don't use any company that is based in the 5 eyes countries. And accepts bitcoin (though monero is preferable) or gift cards.

If you're shopping around, I'd suggest reading torrentfreak's article (they've done one for the past few years as well)

https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-keep-anonymous-2018/

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

If LMG can get ExpressVPN to sponsor them why not? I might need that special LMG discount considering that ExpressVPN is $100 a year, it's more expensive than my anti-virus subscription. If not, then there are other very good VPN options such as NordVPN and PrivateVPN which is the one I'm using at the moment. https://www.bestvpn.com/best-vpn-services/

Linus will be like: "This episode of Techquickie is brought to you buy Tunnel...I mean McAfee Total Protection. A joke anti-virus that does anything but detect and block viruses. Use offer code "LTT" for an 80% discount." :P

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I recommend Mullvad, zero logging, zero knowledge,  maintain around 90% of throughout, and have a warrant canary

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

I use PIA and never had an issue, don't have to download anything to use if I don't want to and it doesn't log.... not expense to have, I pay $39.95 USD yearly, less if I pay bi-annual.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

20 hours ago, CPotter said:

Hey!

I'm sure some of you have heard about Tunnelbear being acquired by McAfee, and if you haven't, see below:

https://beta.techcrunch.com/2018/03/08/mcafee-acquires-vpn-company-tunnelbear/

We have an existing contract in place with them for sponsorships that runs until the end of March. In the meantime, we'll be talking with the folks over there and looking into the situation further.

I'm immensely concerned over this contract with Tunnelbear since they were purchased by McAfee so considering they need to oblige by US laws, you know their privacy policy and their "security" will be dragged through the thickest mud possible? 

Will TunnelBear stay TunnelBear?

A big part of why McAfee is excited about TunnelBear is our people and the privacy culture we’ve created. So by design, 100% of the TunnelBear team is staying together, and will continue to work on TunnelBear products. Our entire team will continue to be based in Toronto. McAfee is excited for us to continue to grow TunnelBear and we’re excited about their support.

Privacy and McAfee don't really work out in a single sentence, nor should they ever be in one. I'm not a fan of this at all and I hope you reconsider. 

20 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Which they won't... except for integrating anti-virus, malware and firewall while storing your activities with daily drops to gubbamint "security" alphabet soup agencies.

5 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I use PIA and never had an issue, don't have to download anything to use if I don't want to and it doesn't log.... not expense to have, I pay $39.95 USD yearly, less if I pay bi-annual.

Same here.

I did have significant issues with the windows software for PIA being very slow/unresponsive, though the most recent version seems to have fixed that.

As for tunnelbear, now I for sure won't be trying it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W