The fact is that Coffee Lake including 6-core can perfect work on 100/200 series motherboard

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

my point is that Z170 and Z270 should with ease be able to handle these chips, VRMs are generally over built so they can run cooler and for bragging rights and the ones on Z370 are no beefier than we have seen from Z170 and Z270. H, B and Q series boards should also be fine tbh but i dont know them as well so i wont claim outright that they will be able too. The mobo vendors could have just ya know, NOT RELEASED A BIOS UPDATE for whatever boards cant handle the extra power draw, its not too much effort to try the 8700k in your lineup of like 10 boards when you are a massive company

Probably, but Intel does not want to go through and see with what it will work with what it won't and make motherboard manufacturers do the same just to do something that doesn't really benefit them. It would be a huge problem to test it because you cannot test it once or twice on each board. Additionally, it would cause a hella big confusion if SOME boards are supported SOME arent some CPUs work on some other boards etc. 

They probably could have done it, but it would not at all be easy and they don't even want to do it so I kinda understand them.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 4.7GHz Turbo

Motherboard: Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1551 (300 Series)

RAM: 2x8GB Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080

SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

HDD:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Cooling: Corsair H115i Pro RGB

Main Display: Dell S2417DG 1440p 144/165Hz G-Sync (2560x1440)

Secondary Displays: 2 x Dell P2312H 1080p 60Hz (1920x1080)

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum

Mouse: Logitech G703 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse

Headset: Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X Headset

Excellent board to use as a guinea pig. At least if it explodes there's no major loss.

Must be keeping the real testing off until they pull out their actual board.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Excellent board to use as a guinea pig. At least if it explodes there's no major loss.

Must be keeping the real testing off until they pull out their actual board.

bigger loss than if it was an ASUS board...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Seems like everyone forgot that there were plenty of am2 boards that were able to be bios updated to am2+, am3, and am3+ 

Compatability with old boards is nothing new. 

Not every board supported that and that was OK. It was great for the ones that did. 

So i dont get those who are saying that not all boards would be able to take a 8xxx cpu. So what?

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

35 minutes ago, epic_ziver_D said:

if Intel was to have supported Z270 (and Z170) they would have to guarantee that ANY Coffe Lake CPU would run on ANY Z170/Z270 board without ANY stability issues

I don't see why they couldn't have just supported them for the quad cores. Being able to run an 8100 or an 8350 on a cheap 1xx or 2xx motherboard would have destroyed AMD's quad core sales. 

3 minutes ago, Apepa said:

Being able to run an 8100 or an 8350 on a cheap 1xx or 2xx motherboard would have destroyed AMD's quad core sales. 

Not really imo.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not really imo.

Cool thanks.

1 hour ago, kladzen said:

Now could all of this be INTEL doing some BS stuff, and just changed the power pin layout that previously have been talked about and diagrams that have been shown so 8000 Series is not compatibel with Z270? Just to make more $$$ from consumers? I don't know.. but i think it's cool to see that some people just did a bit of modding to the BIOS and got it working! Without any HARDWARE modding!

Wasn't this already known to be true? They really just added some pins for power delivery and claimed they needed a whole new socket. And while the extra pins help, I think it's safe to say it's not a necessity.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

Wasn't this already known to be true? They really just added some pins for power delivery and claimed they needed a whole new socket. And while the extra pins help, I think it's safe to say it's not a necessity.

Still waiting for proof of it being even being tested.....I mean people keep spewing BS like this but weirdly enough people cant post more than boot ups. 

While lower end chips might be able to run, I doubt higher end ones, especially OC'd would. Instead of releasing a compatibility list its just better that they moved all to 370.

17 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Still waiting for proof of it being even being tested.....I mean people keep spewing BS like this but weirdly enough people cant post more than boot ups. 

While lower end chips might be able to run, I doubt higher end ones, especially OC'd would. Instead of releasing a compatibility list its just better that they moved all to 370.

It was like a 4% increase in ground pins and 12% increase in VCC pins.

In a typical gaming scenario the power consumption isn't that much higher 

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9G

Only under torture is it really a big difference

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9G

And in that case the difference is larger than the pin count indicating some weirdness.

I recall linus hinting at it on a wan show once. Intel didn't add the extra pins because the cpus needed it for power delivery; rather, it was to give themselves an excuse to make it not backward compatible.

The main thing stopping it now is bios and microcode shenanigans.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

I recall linus hinting at it on a wan show once. Intel didn't add the extra pins because the cpus needed it for power delivery; rather, it was to give themselves an excuse to make it not backward compatible.

Oh so proof is Linus saying it randomly once on the WAN show...got it. 

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Oh so proof is Linus saying it randomly once on the WAN show...got it. 

No... That was to add on to my point...

Linus was under NDA and couldn't explicitly say it, so IMO the information is relatively credible.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

No... That was to add on to my point...

Linus was under NDA and couldn't explicitly say it, so IMO the information is relatively credible.

Even if he was under NDA, intel wouldnt of said "yeah we added more pins to fuck over our customers, keep it secret though" to linus or anyone else for that matter. So no, its not credible. 

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Even if he was under NDA, intel wouldnt of said "yeah we added more pins to fuck over our customers, keep it secret though" to linus or anyone else for that matter. So no, its not credible. 

It's wholly possible that they too could have hinted at it.

At any rate, do you have any reasoning to suggest the extra pins were really needed?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

who cares anyways

if you are stupid enough to upgrade from z170/270 to z370 that is your fault

and obviously you have the money you can get new mobo

I dont care either way

you guys act like intel is making huge money on less than 50dollar chipsets lol

Just now, DocSwag said:

It's wholly possible that they too could have hinted at it.

At any rate, do you have any reasoning to suggest the extra pins were really needed?

More power draw, different die, new points of power delivery to different transistors in the die due to the extra cores. So yes, it was needed. 

I mean people keep bringing up pin count then why wasnt Ryzen questioned with AM4 when it has same cores, more threads AND uses less power than bulldozer yet requires 20% more pins?

New dies need either new sockets or new pins. Plain an simple. 

Intel isn't going to take chances with power delivery which is why they put out a new socket config. It doesn't mean the old ones will not work when modded properly, but it gives the new boards more power delivery capability which does help.

Also consider that they might be making this chipset to be compatible with the 9th gen I line. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see an 8 core i7 at 4.8ghz for the 9700k. So they already got 2 generations out of that socket, so they might as well change it so they can get another 2-3 years out of this one.

They aren't doing it to be greedy, but because it makes more sense.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

More power draw, different die, new points of power delivery to different transistors in the die due to the extra cores. So yes, it was needed. 

I already noted that the power delivery increase and pin increases don't line up.

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I mean people keep bringing up pin count then why wasnt Ryzen questioned with AM4 when it has same cores, more threads AND uses less power than bulldozer yet requires 20% more pins?

Because it's a new architecture? Obviously 400 pins didn't just go nowhere... Also they needed iGPU support.

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

New dies need either new sockets or new pins. Plain an simple.

Literally the only difference between the two 1151 sockets is some RSVD pins were used for ground and VCC

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I fail to see why anyone would do this. is the recommended motherboard significantly more expensive? 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I already noted that the power delivery increase and pin increases don't line up.

Noted but yet to show proof.

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Because it's a new architecture? Obviously 400 pins didn't just go nowhere... Also they needed iGPU support.

And this is different than extra pins going to different parts of the die on 370? Like seriously, I get it you hate intel, but quite being so biased. 

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Literally the only difference between the two 1151 sockets is some RSVD pins were used for ground and VCC

Yeah thats the only difference in the socket...im talking about the die. 

This reminds me of the days when you could get Socket LGA 771 Xeons to run on Socket LGA 775 motherboards with the help of a little tape from Ebay... The good ol' days... :D 

3 hours ago, kladzen said:

Upon further digging around it seems to be related to BIOS modding - being able to allow a 8000 Series to allow to run on Z270 Chipset... 

Here's my take on it.  The picture shows that it's allegedly running on a Z270 Krait Gaming, model MS-7A59; however the BIOS version shows it's from the Z370 Krait Gaming, model MS-7B46.  That means one of two possibilities.  Either they managed to find a way to retrofit a Z370 BIOS onto the Z270 board, or they just tweaked the Z370 BIOS ID string to report as being the wrong board.  Until further confirmation is provided, I'm more inclined to believe the latter.

Pretty neat.  Intel sucks sometimes.....  Surprised the crap out of my coworker the other day switching a second gen i series for a third gen, as Intel essentially never lets you do that.

20 minutes ago, Cindex said:

Pretty neat.  Intel sucks sometimes.....  Surprised the crap out of my coworker the other day switching a second gen i series for a third gen, as Intel essentially never lets you do that.

huh intel has always have had the 2 gen compatibility