Do any of you find some Internet PC "experts" quite cancerous?

Muffinmaddness
On 4/3/2018 at 2:18 AM, MrUnknownEMC said:

Lmao, still on facebook?

Anyone who takes advice on facebook, it is his/her fault.

Honestly just don't take advice from the internet.

I’m definitely exploring this crazy world

On 3/3/2018 at 6:07 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm a nerd with no social skills, which is why I spend my days moderating here instead of out with friends or something xD

Eh Im a nerd with limited social skills as well but I do still hang out with friends. The only issue is NONE of my friends know PCs at all, my girlfriend kept flipping out as I tried to teach her how to build her own system. It was hilarious lol - "Babe OMG I think I broke it", "No, no, no; were fine, the plastic cover is supposed to come out after you put the CPU in". It was a ton of fun and I just could not stop laughing, we had a blast :).

But I would totally chill with you or most of the community if I knew you IRL but my hopes are low that anyone on these forums lives anywhere near me.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

13 hours ago, Bhav said:

I just noticed your location....

Edinburgh is pronounced Edin-borough right? :P

Somehow this is what I ended up being on after looking up 'Aloooooominum' on YouTube.

Edin-bruh :)

A buddy of mine once gave me a bit of shit and implied that I didnt know what I was doing in terms of overclocks. This same buddy then asked me to help him get his 965 BE stable after a bad OC a few weeks later. :P

some have been to me before especially when I was first learning about pcs, but I try to not be rude because I now compared to some people I know like pretty much nothing, but I have been rude before to a few people trying to scam people and shit and also when my father tries telling me he knows more about pcs then me and same with cameras and my sister.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

No way dudes some rando tech youtuber with no technical background said something about a piece of tech I'm going to take it as gospel

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The more time I spend on the internet, the more I grow to dislike the experts for overselling me on stuff with their authoritative tone. You don't need 16gb of RAM, a core i5 and a GTX 1060 at the very least to game. I think I would have been super fine building my computer with a core i3 and a GTX 1050 because I only play League of Legends anyway. Also, gaming at 720p won't make your eyes bleed. It's quite fine. 

I think that it's quite cancerous to seed that kind of information into peoples heads. It makes people buy more, and feel more buyer's remorse. 

With PCs it's not so bad however. Because I consider that PCs have always been around $1000 or $2000 anyway. The difference today is that PCs are getting cheaper. Well, if you ignore the absurd prices of RAM and GPUs. My point is, the price is what you expect.

However, with watches is a different level of brainwashing into buying more than what you need. For 99.9% of the people a nice affordable quartz watch is all you need. It can be a Fossil, Casio Timex, Skagen or Daniel Wellington and it will perform its job admirably. However, these so-called watch experts (snobs, really) will convince you otherwise. It's gotta be an in-house mechanical movement with hacking and super bright lume and 200m water resistance

...bla bla bla. And then before you know it you spend $1000 on watch that keeps worse time than a $20 Casio or Timex.

I can think of two in a specific water cooling thread on a different forum board.

A mention of Borrow barbs is the trigger.  :P   Stinkers manage to get the thread locked three darn times, each time the rest of us telling them to cool their jets.  Or, the few threads on a specific electric car company, o boy, the fanboys come out big time (which I have a bad habit of just poking them for fun - slow days at work can do that).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Had to re-read the OP a few times. Anyway, the general population are full of idiots regardless of the internet. The anonymous nature just breeds more rudeness.

I get my daily dose of them in this very forum.

14 hours ago, kokakolia said:

The more time I spend on the internet, the more I grow to dislike the experts for overselling me on stuff with their authoritative tone. You don't need 16gb of RAM, a core i5 and a GTX 1060 at the very least to game. I think I would have been super fine building my computer with a core i3 and a GTX 1050 because I only play League of Legends anyway. Also, gaming at 720p won't make your eyes bleed. It's quite fine. 

I think that it's quite cancerous to seed that kind of information into peoples heads. It makes people buy more, and feel more buyer's remorse. 

With PCs it's not so bad however. Because I consider that PCs have always been around $1000 or $2000 anyway. The difference today is that PCs are getting cheaper. Well, if you ignore the absurd prices of RAM and GPUs. My point is, the price is what you expect.

However, with watches is a different level of brainwashing into buying more than what you need. For 99.9% of the people a nice affordable quartz watch is all you need. It can be a Fossil, Casio Timex, Skagen or Daniel Wellington and it will perform its job admirably. However, these so-called watch experts (snobs, really) will convince you otherwise. It's gotta be an in-house mechanical movement with hacking and super bright lume and 200m water resistance

...bla bla bla. And then before you know it you spend $1000 on watch that keeps worse time than a $20 Casio or Timex.

Linus thinking everything he says is law and true

Later in the page JonnyGURU says otherwise :/

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.