Do any of you find some Internet PC "experts" quite cancerous?

Muffinmaddness

Just wondering if you find people who, in fairness know a bit about computers in general, tend to be very over the top with other users who don't? 
My experience is people love to be like NO YOU'RE WRONG instead of,.. being more polite and correcting them, seems like a pissing contest
of who can google the fastest.
Or is it just how the internet is becoming and I've missed most of it -_- 
anyone have any experiences of people either being wrong, yet defending themselves and ignoring everything else, < (this i can see is annoying) 

or been on the receiving end of an attack for just being misinformed/ignorant , or maybe done it yourself where you can't believe this dipship doesn't know the difference between DVI and VGA 
so you "educate them" ( you idiot!!!! how can you not know! ) 

or am I just not used to internet edicate =/ 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Only if they're the Indian scammers.

Depending on some communities, some are really cancerous on the internet. The people that take esports games seriously for example.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Only if they're the Indian scammers.

Depending on some communities, some are really cancerous on the internet. The people that take esports games seriously for example.

Yeah, I find a lot of people on facebook groups are pretty bad, and comment sections on say IGN , just seems like everyone's aggressive over not so big deals =/ 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

To be blatantly honest, some folks are just utter nerds with no social skills whatsoever. Highly opinionated individuals. You'll find they are like that in real life too. I worked with one guy and he talked like a robot and any notion of another way of doing something or an idea that was different to his was met with a child-like "no, no you're wrong".  Some folks just take linear thinking to a whole new level, so don't bother with people like that. Source your information from elsewhere, there is ample help out there.

Just now, cartdog said:

To be blatantly honest, some folks are just utter nerds with no social skills whatsoever. Highly opinionated individuals. You'll find they are like that in real life too. I worked with one guy and he talked like a robot and any notion of another way of doing something or an idea that was different to his was met with a child-like "no, no you're wrong".  Some folks just take linear thinking to a whole new level, so don't bother with people like that. Source your information from elsewhere, there is ample help out there.

I see, I didn't really think of it like that, but how can they function in the world like that?, or is it they cant so vent online with no real consequences? 

Specs 

2 minutes ago, cartdog said:

To be blatantly honest, some folks are just utter nerds with no social skills whatsoever.

I'm a nerd with no social skills, which is why I spend my days moderating here instead of out with friends or something xD

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

11 minutes ago, Muffinmaddness said:

.... or been on the receiving end of an attack for just being misinformed/ignorant 

yeah that would suck

12 minutes ago, Muffinmaddness said:

... or maybe done it yourself where you can't believe this dipship doesn't know the difference between DVI and VGA 

ummm

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm a nerd with no social skills, which is why I spend my days moderating here instead of out with friends or something xD

Well perhaps, but at least you have reasoning ability which lends to the notion that there is a measure of "social skills" that you possess. Being a mod also requires a mature individual who again is able to reason. 

1 minute ago, cartdog said:

Well perhaps, but at least you have reasoning ability which lends to the notion that there is a measure of "social skills" that you possess. Being a mod also requires a mature individual who again is able to reason. 

True, although I am pretty introverted.

11 minutes ago, Muffinmaddness said:

Yeah, I find a lot of people on facebook groups are pretty bad, and comment sections on say IGN , just seems like everyone's aggressive over not so big deals =/ 

Lmao, still on facebook?

Anyone who takes advice on facebook, it is his/her fault.

Magical Pineapples

1 minute ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Lmao, still on facebook?

Reddit too, I haven't seen a lot of good stuff there either.

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

Lmao, still on facebook?

I never said I was at the receiving end I said I saw it...I only have facebook for buying and selling groups...get some really awesome stuff for next to nothing =) 

Specs 

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

True, although I am pretty introverted.

Personally, I don't like to categorize myself or others in groups of "introverted" or "extroverted". We all have a measure of both personality traits, unless you're a complete recluse that has no contact with another human nor wants to and goes out of their way to avoid people. I think everyone leans one way a bit more then the other, but that doesn't define you. I've found at least in myself that I like "my time" but I also really enjoy intelligently conversing with others. Liking your "own time" doesn't make you a nerd or anti-social, you look at many folks who think deeply, you can't do that with a load of people around you 24/7.

2 minutes ago, Muffinmaddness said:

I never said I was at the receiving end I said I saw it...I only have facebook for buying and selling groups...get some really awesome stuff for next to nothing =) 

True, personally i just found i will be scrolling through crap when i have it installed on my phone.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Reddit too, I haven't seen a lot of good stuff there either.

Yep... but at least some of sub are moderated and not that aids.

Magical Pineapples

1 hour ago, Muffinmaddness said:

Or is it just how the internet is becoming and I've missed most of it -_- 

No no you're wrong! It's always been this way.

(intentionally facetious response, I hop that you can see my humor)

A lot of people in the computing field tend to lack the social skills necessary to properly handle people, especially people who might not be quite as intelligent or otherwise knowledgeable as they are. It's just something you kind of have to expect with the territory.

Honestly, I mostly see it with people who consider themselves a part of the Linux community, especially with how they're so eager to throw noodly hands if you say you don't like using Linux or you use a distro that they don't like.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

People who dont know what theyre talking about but post replies anyway even if its false or misleading/unrelated information just because they feel like they have to reply.

Example, i play secondlife, i browse their forums and like to help out with technical support questions, since the linden labs staff isnt particularly quick about it.

Someone was talking about an issue where they had pink textures if they turned on basic shaders. They say they have a fairly high end PC and can usually hold near max settings with acceptable framerates, all is usually well.

Well thats an easy one, the game caches textures and texture data for when the shaders are enabled. Something happened probably over an update where the texture cache was damaged or possibly deleted. It happens sometimes after updates, easiest way to fix it is to clear the cache and let secondlife re-download all the textures needed.

Tested it, it worked, worked for them.

But someone else decided to show up, pull a JIRA bug report from 2012 or some shit about a guy with a mobile HD 5470 or something along those lines having pink textures after a driver update. The poster then claimed "this is an issue with old ATI graphics card drivers".

Like, motherfucker, no. What are you talking about, the OP clearly said they have a newer high end PC, they dont have a mobile ATI graphics chipset from over half a decade ago, the game doesnt even support 5000 series mobile GPU's from AMD.

They basically googled it, or searched for "pink textures" in the JIRA and pulled up the first result without even reading the rest of the OP.

Blows my god damn mind people can be this dense.

Oh, and just a personal gripe, the SecondLife forums are known for this kind of stupid shit. This is the kind of place where theyre like "you cant use an ATI graphics card, they dont work with SL, you need a nvidia graphics card".

Like yeah, its 2004 still, sure. They got this whole idea like its still 2003/2004 where ATI still existed to begin with and that there was some kind of issue with using ATI cards. The source of that problem was that back in the early 2000's most people's laptops had ATI mobile chipsets, like my T42 had a Mobility Radeon 7500 or something, entirely useless for 3D games more advanced than Halo: Combat Evolved. So people back then would complain about it and people wouldnt bother to look up performance metrics, only that "its ATI" and all the people with Nvidia graphics hardware were using desktop cards. So it slowly evolved into thinking ATI cards wont work for SL, and later that AMD cards dont work for SL.

Note that their system requirements page has been added on to but still contains relics from 2003 when the game was new, like having to Specify that a Riva TNT2 wont work with SL. They still recommend 1024x768

https://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/

Thats my whole rant on "PC experts" who dont know what the hell theyre talking about.

Applies to just about anywhere, theres a golden rule with tech support:

If you dont know what youre talking about, dont talk about it

Because providing someone with false information is worse than not giving them any information at all.

5 minutes ago, campy said:

Because providing someone with false information is worse than not giving them any information at all.

^This is the whole thing in a nutshell I think.

Specs 

15 hours ago, dcb-z said:

A lot of people in the computing field tend to lack the social skills necessary to properly handle people, especially people who might not be quite as intelligent or otherwise knowledgeable as they are. It's just something you kind of have to expect with the territory.

Honestly, I mostly see it with people who consider themselves a part of the Linux community, especially with how they're so eager to throw noodly hands if you say you don't like using Linux or you use a distro that they don't like.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

YouTube comments

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 9.13.16 AM.png

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

33 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

case in point: people know exactly what someone means when they refer to "Linux" without needing to go into the technicalities of it. It's like when someone says "Kleenex" and everyone knows that they just mean a facial tissue, "Velcro" when they mean "hook and loop fastener" (as the company would prefer you call it), or "Tylenol" instead of "acetaminophen." Everyone will know exactly what you're referring to when you say "Linux"-- you aren't referring to the kernel itself, but rather you're using the term "Linux" as an all-encompassing name to refer to the wide variety of open-source operating system distros that utilize it.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Its not just on the PC side of things. There are internet know it all's everywhere, which 0.001% of the time when i'm bored and have nothing better to do with my time i like to go thrash on for entertainment :)

59 minutes ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

Its not just on the PC side of things. There are internet know it all's everywhere, which 0.001% of the time when i'm bored and have nothing better to do with my time i like to go thrash on for entertainment :)

Just finished shooting down one such "expert" on another forum (one I hadn't been to in several years) before he proceeded to commence with the personal attacks, and got his own thread locked before I could make one last post. Was hoping to learn something, came away bitterly disappointed. :(

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…