Do any of you find some Internet PC "experts" quite cancerous?

Muffinmaddness
2 hours ago, JDE said:

YouTube comments

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 9.13.16 AM.png

if his profile pic is from an anime his opinion doesn't counts

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 hours ago, JDE said:

YouTube comments

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 9.13.16 AM.png

The problem is that a lot of PSU information is just isn't available, few people review PSUs properly, and those that do put out a review once in a blue moon.

Is there something like TFTCentral for PSUs? Because that'd be really nice.

yes. Happens all the time on this forum.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

19 hours ago, dcb-z said:

A lot of people in the computing field tend to lack the social skills necessary to properly handle people, especially people who might not be quite as intelligent or otherwise knowledgeable as they are. It's just something you kind of have to expect with the territory.

Honestly, I mostly see it with people who consider themselves a part of the Linux community, especially with how they're so eager to throw noodly hands if you say you don't like using Linux or you use a distro that they don't like.

Imagine doctors having to explain to clueless parents that pathogens are what causing their kids to be sick and not because they do not wear enough warm clothing.

in my case, doctors do not even bother explaining to my parents that drinking hot water won’t prevent any illnesses(we Asians believe hot water is the cure all... seriously) 

knowledge people do not have time to explain years of knowledge just to enlighten some folks who believe firmly in myths so they will be a bit condescending at times.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

21 hours ago, cartdog said:

To be blatantly honest, some folks are just utter nerds with no social skills whatsoever. Highly opinionated individuals. You'll find they are like that in real life too. I worked with one guy and he talked like a robot and any notion of another way of doing something or an idea that was different to his was met with a child-like "no, no you're wrong".  Some folks just take linear thinking to a whole new level, so don't bother with people like that. Source your information from elsewhere, there is ample help out there.

But what about people who were right in the first place, and the different idea was wrong?

Like if the 'robot' was stating the earth is round but the different idea presented was that its flat?

Some people simply can't accept fallacies. 

Linus is my fetish.

17 minutes ago, wasab said:

knowledge people do not have time to explain years of knowledge just to enlighten some folks who believe firmly in myths so they will be a bit condescending at times.

On the flipside, if you can't explain a seemingly advanced subject in simple English, you don't understand it well enough. But people think spouting technobabble and other terms makes them look smart so they don't bother to dumb it down.

If someone is offended they have to get the "dumbed down" version of the advanced subject, they clearly weren't interested in learning about it anyway.

10 minutes ago, wasab said:

Imagine doctors having to explain to clueless parents that pathogens are what causing their kids to be sick and not because they do not wear enough warm clothing.

in my case, doctors do not even bother explaining to my parents that drinking hot water won’t prevent any illnesses(we Asians believe hot water is the cure all... seriously) 

Also water from the hot water tap is likely to make you very sick based on how old the boiler tech used to heat and store it is. I'm not even sure if newer tech for this is any safer, one should simply never consume water from the hot water tap.

Then heating up water from the cold tap in a country where it is properly sanitized is pointless for hygiene reasons, its already been filtered and cleaned.

This also reminds me of one of my grandparents house where their kitchen was infested with massive bluebottles forever and no one bothered to get rid of them. Yet also because (older and dumber) Asians hate drinking cold water cos they think its no good for them / gonna make them sick, they'd fill a jug with cold water and leave it to reach room temperature before drinking it ... But without even covering it up in a fly infested kitchen.

And then I was the only person not at all surprised when that grandma caught and died from cholera. If anyone else actually cared about her, they would have fixed the fly infestation a long time ago, or at least tried to teach her not to leave uncovered water or anything else for consumption out in that kitchen.

And then cue me being having to refuse being force fed every everytime I visited them, and being made out to be a monster for not touching any food made in that dreadful kitchen. Just one of the many causes of my now internalized racism.

Linus is my fetish.

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

On the flipside, if you can't explain a seemingly advanced subject in simple English, you don't understand it well enough. But people think spouting technobabble and other terms makes them look smart so they don't bother to dumb it down.

If someone is offended they have to get the "dumbed down" version of the advanced subject, they clearly weren't interested in learning about it anyway.

As an example on the other flipside / hand, calling 'pathogens' germs instead is easy for anyone to do, but is always wrong and ignorant as any science or even my food tech teacher would say.

Also you just can't teach everyone. Just look at all the anti vaxers, flat earthers, and evolution / climate change deniers out there. No level of explaining things in simple English will ever, nor has ever worked for such people.

And you wouldn't believe just how many people refuse to accept / learn that humans are in fact animals, no matter how easily or thoroughly you try teaching them the basics of taxonomy.

Linus is my fetish.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

How is calling a pathogen a germ wrong?

I honestly wish I had asked my teachers that, but simply using the word germ instead of pathogen on a science test / paper would be an auto fail. That's all we were ever allowed to know. 

I used to hear the same across biology, chemistry and food tech to never use germs instead of pathogens or they'd go mad and give you a fail.

Linus is my fetish.

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The problem is that these people will argue with misinformation and it becomes painful to explain to them in terms they understand. 

Case point: my parents remarked during my late teenage years they will make me play basketball to make me taller. My doctors said that won’t help because both my parents are short so shortness is in my gene. Then my parents started arguing my neighbors kids who play bastketball and are tall and all those misinformation.

my doctor is not gonna throw jargons at them and explain nutrition plays a part. Their parents might have talk genes but poor nutritions during childhood might restrict their height or the fact that despite reccesive allele, if their ancestors have tall genes then there is a percent chance that it will be emergent and expressed in its offspring despite both parents are short in nature. 

See? That whole explanation is a mouthful and my doctor simply look away and ignore my parents. He is not recite texts from books he read in medical school.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 minutes ago, Bhav said:

I honestly wish I had asked my teachers that, but simply using the word germ instead of pathogen on a science test / paper would be an auto fail. That's all we were ever allowed to know. 

Then they're being pedantic. Two of three dictionaries I looked at, the first definition of germ is basically a microorganism that causes disease. Only one had what looked like some medical definition.

It's like auto failing a computer science student that said "processor" instead of "CPU". Because if you wanted to be anal, a CPU is just the the control and execution units of a processor, but a modern day processor contains more than just that.

6 minutes ago, wasab said:

The problem is that these people will argue with misinformation and it becomes painful to explain to them in terms they understand. 

Case point: my parents remarked during my late teenage years they will make me play basketball to make me taller. My doctors said that won’t help because both my parents are short so shortness is in my gene. Then my parents started arguing my neighbors kids who play bastketball and are tall and all those misinformation.

my doctor is not gonna throw jargons at them and explain nutrition plays a part. Their parents might have talk genes but poor nutritions during childhood might restrict their height or the fact that despite reccesive allele, if their ancestors have tall genes then there is a percent chance that it will be emergent and expressed in its offspring despite both parents are short in nature. 

See? That whole explanation is a mouthful and my doctor simply look away and ignore my parents. He is not recite texts from books he read in medical school.

Again being from an Asian family myself, at just 5'8", I'm 'OMG you're so tall!!!!'.

No one in my generation across all my relatives were fed meat on a regular basis while growing. Never mind getting the recommended 3 servings of meat / fish / poultry per week, we'd be lucky to get one chicken dinner per 3 months at home. Our stock diets were mostly rice, chapattis, potatoes and any other vegetables.

Oh, but I decided to eat fish / meat daily for my school dinners. And magically lo and behold I end up becoming average height while everyone else stayed short.

Also try explaining to vegans that growing kids need to eat meat 3 times a week ... I've attempted this many times due to the above experience and its far from fun.

Linus is my fetish.

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Then they're being pedantic. Two of three dictionaries I looked at, the first definition of germ is basically a microorganism that causes disease. Only one had what looked like some medical definition.

It's like auto failing a computer science student that said "processor" instead of "CPU". Because if you wanted to be anal, a CPU is just the the control and execution units of a processor, but a modern day processor contains more than just that.

Not necessarily. 'Pathogen' is simply the correct scientific term, 'germ' is not, and is not correct to use on a degree level test.

Similar to writing 'good bacteria' instead of 'commensals'.

To get the points in any subject, you simply have to use the proper words. Using basic English for such things isn't going to work when it comes to trying to become a doctor and passing a medicine degree for example. Thus why such people may then become unwilling to use or speak in layman's terms to explain such things from then on. This doesn't at all mean that such a person lacks understanding, but they refuse to use non professional terms in their field of expertise. Also a lot of times, even if using simple English to describe such things to a patient, most people still won't, or will refuse to accept or learn basic knowledge / facts, as per my earlier example of flat earthers or anti vaxxers.

Linus is my fetish.

Just now, Bhav said:

Not necessarily. 'Pathogen' is simply the correct scientific term, 'germ' is not, and is not correct to use on a degree level test.

Similar to writing 'good bacteria' instead of 'commensals'.

To get the points in any subject, you simply have to use the proper words. Using basic English for such things isn't going to work when it comes to trying to become a doctor and passing a medicine degree for example. Thus why such people may then become unwilling to use or speak in layman's terms to explain such things from then on. This doesn't at all mean that such a person lacks understanding, but they refuse to use non professional terms in their field of expertise. Also a lot of times, even if using simple English to describe such things to a patient, most people still won't, or will refuse to accept or learn basic knowledge / facts, as per my earlier example of flat earthers or anti vaxxers.

For academic purposes (at least higher level ones, because outright failing someone who's newer is not constructive at all), I understand. But they also need to be aware that not everyone knows all the terms and stuff, otherwise they won't be understood at best, come off as snobby at worst. Or at the very least, they need to understand their audience before they start explaining things. I say things differently when I'm explaining something to my software developer colleagues than when I'm explaining something to the project engineer, a system tester, or whatnot.

And I'm not arguing that explaining something simply is the formula to get people to understand something that's false they really believe to be true. All I'm saying is there's people who throw terminology around left and right just to sound smart or they know what the subject is, but they don't really understand it or have an appreciation for it.

On a related note about the pedanticness, there was a video from Periodic Didoes channel about aluminum, and there was a blurb about saying aluminum vs. aluminium. They said they don't care in casual contexts because if it gets the point across, that's fine. But when speaking academically about the element itself, it must be aluminium.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

For academic purposes (at least higher level ones, because outright failing someone who's newer is not constructive at all), I understand. But they also need to be aware that not everyone knows all the terms and stuff, otherwise they won't be understood at best, come off as snobby at worst. Or at the very least, they need to understand their audience before they start explaining things. I say things differently when I'm explaining something to my software developer colleagues than when I'm explaining something to the project engineer, a system tester, or whatnot.

And I'm not arguing that explaining something simply is the formula to get people to understand something that's false they really believe to be true. All I'm saying is there's people who throw terminology around left and right just to sound smart or they know what the subject is, but they don't really understand it or have an appreciation for it.

On a related note about the pedanticness, there was a video from Periodic Didoes channel about aluminum, and there was a blurb about saying aluminum vs. aluminium. They said they don't care in casual contexts because if it gets the point across, that's fine. But when speaking academically about the element itself, it must be aluminium.

Actually no, I want to shoot everyone that says 'Alooooominum'.

I hate that so much.

Linus is my fetish.

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I guess I'll just keep saying aluminum :D

You monster :(

I remember the first time I heard 'Aloominum' in a video and I almost had an aneurysm. 

Linus is my fetish.

22 hours ago, Muffinmaddness said:

Just wondering if you find people who, in fairness know a bit about computers in general, tend to be very over the top with other users who don't? 
My experience is people love to be like NO YOU'RE WRONG instead of,.. being more polite and correcting them, seems like a pissing contest
of who can google the fastest.
Or is it just how the internet is becoming and I've missed most of it -_- 
anyone have any experiences of people either being wrong, yet defending themselves and ignoring everything else, < (this i can see is annoying) 

or been on the receiving end of an attack for just being misinformed/ignorant , or maybe done it yourself where you can't believe this dipship doesn't know the difference between DVI and VGA 
so you "educate them" ( you idiot!!!! how can you not know! ) 

or am I just not used to internet edicate =/ 

I'm afraid that's the internet of today although I may be somewhat of a technological determinist. People like to lord it up on the internet and unfortunately there are a lot of people like this and they feed off of each other, it's a vicious cycle :P

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

2 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

I'm afraid that's the internet of today although I may be somewhat of a technological determinist. People like to lord it up on the internet and unfortunately there are a lot of people like this and they feed off of each other, it's a vicious cycle :P

I just noticed your location....

Edinburgh is pronounced Edin-borough right? :P

Somehow this is what I ended up being on after looking up 'Aloooooominum' on YouTube.

Linus is my fetish.

Just now, Bhav said:

I just noticed your location....

Edinburgh is pronounced Edin-borough right? :P

Haha it is indeed :P

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

23 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Only if they're the Indian scammers.

Lol they're not even good with tech

23 hours ago, Muffinmaddness said:

Just wondering if you find people who, in fairness know a bit about computers in general, tend to be very over the top with other users who don't? 
My experience is people love to be like NO YOU'RE WRONG instead of,.. being more polite and correcting them, seems like a pissing contest
of who can google the fastest.
Or is it just how the internet is becoming and I've missed most of it -_- 
anyone have any experiences of people either being wrong, yet defending themselves and ignoring everything else, < (this i can see is annoying) 

or been on the receiving end of an attack for just being misinformed/ignorant , or maybe done it yourself where you can't believe this dipship doesn't know the difference between DVI and VGA 
so you "educate them" ( you idiot!!!! how can you not know! ) 

or am I just not used to internet edicate =/ 

Fanboys 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Bhav said:

But what about people who were right in the first place, and the different idea was wrong?

The issue arises when the person who is "right" is consumed with pushing his view and proving the other person wrong, instead of acknowledging the view and moving on some continue to push until the other person concedes to the others view. Its about not being so opinionated. It takes some understanding and not viewing the other person as "unacknowledged". Our knowledge comes from what we read, see, experience or hear.

So just because someone is wrong there is no need to authoritatively shame them because they are wrong, but rather show some humility, accept their view and share your view without seeking to usurp yourself above them, which is what I have seen folks do countless times...both in real life and in the online realm. It really boils down to the MOTIVE behind why you want to to share your view. To help others or to help yourself?

1 hour ago, cartdog said:

The issue arises when the person who is "right" is consumed with pushing his view and proving the other person wrong, instead of acknowledging the view and moving on some continue to push until the other person concedes to the others view. Its about not being so opinionated. It takes some understanding and not viewing the other person as "unacknowledged". Our knowledge comes from what we read, see, experience or hear.

So just because someone is wrong there is no need to authoritatively shame them because they are wrong, but rather show some humility, accept their view and share your view without seeking to usurp yourself above them, which is what I have seen folks do countless times...both in real life and in the online realm. It really boils down to the MOTIVE behind why you want to to share your view. To help others or to help yourself?

OK. Earth is flat, moon landing was fake, vaccines cause HIV, humans weren't made from monkey, lol global warming when there's a snowstorm all over Europe, blahblahblahblah...

and the holocaust never happened

Linus is my fetish.

10 minutes ago, Bhav said:

OK. Earth is flat, moon landing was fake, vaccines cause HIV, humans weren't made from monkey, lol global warming when there's a snowstorm all over Europe, blahblahblahblah...

Reveal hidden contents

and the holocaust never happened

That’s the moment when you have to decide whether to say I understand what you are taking about but ....draw pictures with crayons and patiently explain as if you would to a 5 year olds while they keep on arguing the contrary.

OR

say you are the stupidest piece of shit you ever have displeasure of meeting, rage quit, and then walk away in frustration. 

For many people, patience is not a strong suit.

Sudo make me a sandwich