Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Cheap/thin wheels getting snapped make me chuckle.

I think most of the buyers just don't know the difference. Most of the replicas are made using gravity casting, when the originals use a more sophisticated manufacturing method (often pressure cast, forged or flow-formed).

Gravity casting is suitable for old heavy/bulky wheel designs (older alloy wheels were often gravity cast). Newer lightweight designs need the structural strength and consistency of aluminum alloy formed using more advanced techniques. Copying a forged design and making it using a gravity cast is an accident waiting to happen. The alloy composition itself is also a factor at times.

When buying lesser known wheels, it pays to check and confirm if at least they are indeed VIA/JWL or TUV certified. What's worse is that there are truly "fake" wheels --- these ones don't even talk about who made them (they assume the brand and identity of whatever they're emulating).

Ours are pretty strict. With extensive modifications being required if you want to increase the horsepower more than 15%.

But that mostly leads to swedes bunkering up in their garages over the winter months to build monsters. 

(Because if you are forced to change the driveline,Axles,Suspension and reinforce the car. You are not going to settle for a 20% increase in power xD

Finland has similar modification laws. I have Finnish friends that go through the same thing.

I'm still going strong with 130k on my Maxima.. er.. i30t  :P Never had any major problems.

Come to think of it, neither have our E39s.. One is still strong(ish.. starting to get problems) with 180k. The other is in perfect condition. 90k I believe. Them inline 6's are tanks

Our Audi on the other hand... aww lawd. If we had another AWD car with that much power that Audi would be gone in an instant.

The Maxima/Cefiro/i30/a32 are surprisingly nice, even if they're aren't the most lively cars. I am assuming your A33 is the same way. If I want to have fun driving, there are other, better options out there. Very hard to beat on a reliability standpoint though. If only it was RWD..

A32s and A33s behave pretty similarly, with the A33 being a little bigger (and some claim softer) than the A32. As with most Nissans, they are far from faultless cars but they are generally good cars. Common problems as they age are direct ignition coils, egr system (earlier years), and crank/cam position sensors (later years).

Audi's getting some flak again when it comes to reliability (they've had the same problem in the 80s and 90s). If Warranty Direct numbers are true, they say that 1 out of 27 Audi owners get engine problems every year.

This is their list for Bottom 10 Manufacturers when it comes to engine reliability (lifted from www.warrantydirect.co.uk):

1. MG Rover - 1 in 13
  2. Audi - 1 in 27
  3. MINI - 1 in 40
  4. Saab - 1 in 40
  5. Vauxhall - 1 in 41
  6. Peugeot - 1 in 44
  7. BMW - 1 in 45
  8. Renault - 1 in 46
  9. Volkswagen - 1 in 52
  10. Mitsubishi - 1 in 59

Honda, Toyota and Mercedes supposedly have the least engine problems (at least based on their 50,000 policy samples).

Also, my parents hate Hyundai cars for some reason.

Some people take time to get past a maker's past (Hyundai/Kia in this case). That's the same reason why a lot of old timers still hate Japanese and East European cars. 

While we are on the topic of wheels, Man i want some of these http://www.apexraceparts.com/apex-products/e46/18x8-5-ET20-APEX-PS-7-Wheel.html#.VKm2_nvc2ao

18-PS7-HS-Profile1-AngleK-5x120.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

PAGE 76

not much of a fan of the mustang II gen

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

i much prefer the 65

65_Ford_Shelby_Mustang_GT350_DV_06_MRM_0

not much of a fan of the mustang II gen

It's page 76 so...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

For those buying new cars in North America, here are numbers from J.D. Power:

2014087-a_0.jpg

Initial quality numbers are number of complaints gathered per 100 new vehicles on the first 90 days of ownership. These are product defects and/or inadequacies. This measures how well a car is put together and how well it meets expectations.

0400f6f33bf4cb6c2a889772d4418934x.jpg

Dependability numbers are problems experienced for 100 vehicles in a year for 3-year old vehicles. This measures how problem-free/reliable a car is in actual typical use.

Those looking for particular vehicle information (especially those buying used, and looking for what parts to check) can visit truedelta or msn autos.

Fiat tends to have reliable cars/engines I think  :huh:

A32s and A33s behave pretty similarly, with the A33 being a little bigger (and some claim softer) than the A32. As with most Nissans, they are far from faultless cars but they are generally good cars. Common problems as they age are direct ignition coils, egr system (earlier years), and crank/cam position sensors (later years).

Audi's getting some flak again when it comes to reliability (they've had the same problem in the 80s and 90s). If Warranty Direct numbers are true, they say that 1 out of 27 Audi owners get engine problems every year.

This is their list for Bottom 10 Manufacturers when it comes to engine reliability (lifted from www.warrantydirect.co.uk):

1. MG Rover - 1 in 13
  2. Audi - 1 in 27
  3. MINI - 1 in 40
  4. Saab - 1 in 40
  5. Vauxhall - 1 in 41
  6. Peugeot - 1 in 44
  7. BMW - 1 in 45
  8. Renault - 1 in 46
  9. Volkswagen - 1 in 52
  10. Mitsubishi - 1 in 59

Honda, Toyota and Mercedes supposedly have the least engine problems (at least based on their 50,000 policy samples).

Some people take time to get past a maker's past (Hyundai/Kia in this case). That's the same reason why a lot of old timers still hate Japanese and East European cars. 

Well I guess I'm that 1 in 27 :( Our C5 Audi has had so many problems in the years we had it. 

Mercedes.. thats surprising. I bet techswede is happy with that :D

I've learned to like Kia/Hyundai. They have some really nice cars. I would not mind owning a Genesis. 

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Fiat tends to have reliable cars/engines I think  :huh:

Italian electrical systems are generally disasters waiting to happen (At least on the older ones)

I am a bit surprised to see Mercedes beating Toyota in this

We've owned quite a few toyotas and not a single one has gone wrong

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

It's page 76 so...

well that went right over my head lol

PAGE 76

-snip

It's ok man, I got this ;)

nissan-280z-280zx-accessories.jpg

nissanLaurel1976021.jpg

bmw-2002-2.jpg

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

Italian electrical systems are generally disasters waiting to happen (At least on the older ones)

I am a bit surprised to see Mercedes beating Toyota in this

We've owned quite a few toyotas and not a single one has gone wrong

Most Toyotas are just so inexpensive to own.

The numbers are for 3 year old vehicles, so all the cool gadgets on luxury vehicles are yet to fail when they sampled.

Consumer Reports had over 1 million samples and Lexus and Toyota topped their list:

http://fortune.com/2014/10/27/want-to-drive-the-worlds-most-reliable-car-try-a-toyota/

They have held the spot for 8 straight years.

It's ok man, I got this ;)

----S30snip---

I want one just for the engine. And the body. And the interior. Hell i just want it. 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Well I guess I'm that 1 in 27 :( Our C5 Audi has had so many problems in the years we had it. 

Mercedes.. thats surprising. I bet techswede is happy with that :D

I've learned to like Kia/Hyundai. They have some really nice cars. I would not mind owning a Genesis. 

We had a problematic Audi when I was a kid. A 5000CS Turbo Quattro; that thing was just bad (it got worse as it aged). To its credit, it rode well, it didn't rattle, and it didn't rust.

Mercedes is near the top of the list when it comes to few engine problems. I guess most of their problems are not engine-related (unlike Audi).

I want one just for the engine. And the body. And the interior. Hell i just want it. 

I've seen a few people who've swapped VQs into S30s. - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/112257-vq-engine-swap-information/

Quite interesting.. 

I'll give you the motor if I buy one :P Would you like an L24, L26, or L28? ;)

There is a 240z on CL for $7k right now. Definitely a fixer-upper - http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/4828133858.html

Don't know if I would want a Fairlady or an S chassis (preferably a Kouki)

I've seen a few people who've swapped VQs into S30s. 

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/112257-vq-engine-swap-information/

I'll give you the motor if I buy one :P Would you like an L24, L26, or L28? :D

I want the L28. And an LD28 crankshaft. 3mm of extra bore. New pistons, A triple set of weber 40's and a pair of GT28RS turbochargers.. I may or may not have been planning this in my head..

Discuss this AWFUL SHIT THAT IS EVERYWHERE (at least where I live) while I'm sleeping (I'm referring to the SMOKEY SHIT ON WHEELS)

Sorry for all my anger.

PAGE 77

77-911-S-2.7-2.jpg?resize=1050%2C700

Discuss this AWFUL SHIT THAT IS EVERYWHERE (at least where I live) while I'm sleeping (I'm referring to the SMOKEY SHIT ON WHEELS)

Sorry for alll my anger.

I don't think the smoke is from the wheels. Isn't it FWD?

Running hella rich or TDI

Edit:

IMG_7021.jpg

System: Thinkpad T460

I don't think the smoke is from the wheels. Isn't it FWD?

Running hella rich or TDI

Edit:

-jetta snip

I want the L28. And an LD28 crankshaft. 3mm of extra bore. New pistons, A triple set of weber 40's and a pair of GT28RS turbochargers.. I may or may not have been planning this in my head..

Blow through turbocharging.  :ph34r:

S14s are nice (both Kouki and Zenki). Their popularity keeps used car prices high though.

Sorry for all my anger.

They're diesels running very rich for max power. They generally don't last long when tuned that way (very high EGTs).

If the engine could run more boost, they probably would've ran more boost. The extra air will clean things up. My guess is it's still running the stock turbo or the engine can't hold any more pressure (or they don't want the lag from a big turbo).

Blow through turbocharging.  :ph34r:

S14s are nice (both Kouki and Zenki). Their popularity keeps used car prices high though.

Not really a fan of the Zenki. Something about the lights.... same thing with R33s. For some reason I don't really like them.

I'd be fine with an S13 too. There is a person near me who has an S13 240sx with a Silvia front end conversion. I like the pop-up headlights more though. :D They're quite significantly cheaper than S14s where I live, too.