Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Blow through turbocharging.  :ph34r:

S14s are nice (both Kouki and Zenki). Their popularity keeps used car prices high though.

Turbo + carbs has always been facinating to me^^ It's more of a challenge :)

David Freiburger races a camaro with a carb and a supercharger that has done 261mph so the old tech is still usable 

9pwjaAs.jpg

mmmm

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

This diesel engine sounds fucking baller!

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

This diesel engine sounds fucking baller!

But you can't beat the big'ol v12 tdi:

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I'd love to own this.

A very nice hillclimbing Evo VI, 2.3L engine with a turbo and supercharger. The end result is 800bhp and one hell of a whine from the blower :)

This VII is 600bhp but goddamn does she spit flames.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

They're diesels running very rich for max power. They generally don't last long when tuned that way (very high EGTs).

If the engine could run more boost, they probably would've ran more boost. The extra air will clean things up. My guess is it's still running the stock turbo or the engine can't hold any more pressure (or they don't want the lag from a big turbo).

I adjusted the diesel pump on my old d21 lightly and got a bit more power. Only smoked when you gave it full throttle

2013-08-11144708_zpsdc556380.jpg

I miss the old thing.. It was one of my best trucks. (Had to swap the bed once and weld up the frame. They love to rust. And the picture is from the second time i was going to fix the rust)

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I adjusted the diesel pump on my old d21 lightly and got a bit more power. Only smoked when you gave it full throttle

I miss the old thing.. It was one of my best trucks. (Had to swap the bed once and weld up the frame. They love to rust. And the picture is from the second time i was going to fix the rust)

Old Japanese cars didn't go through much corrosion treatment. Few people in Japan keep cars for a long time. In the past, most Japanese people didn't keep cars older than 5 years of age (cars are junked afterwards and sold abroad, mostly in RHD markets... or parted out for those "JDM" parts). Their car makers optimized their production to have cars that work perfectly for those 5 years, hence the rusting of old examples. Though the Japanese now keep their cars longer, they still don't keep them for very long (the average car in Japan has a mileage of 14,000mi based on AIRA data... that is very new in Western standards). 

The Japanese makers have gotten a lot better at corrosion-treatment in the late 80s and early 90s as foreign markets took up more and more of their sales (they had to adapt to their products to their consumer base). Toyota stepped up anti-corrosion treatment a little earlier as it was more export focused as a manufacturer. Nissan joined a little later on this game as they were more focused on their domestic market until that market started to slow down in the late 80s (Nissan's foreign divisions weren't profitable then, and they only profited from domestic sales). This focus on domestic sales was also the reason why they were heavily hit by the stagnation of the Japanese economy; vehicle sales fell and margins shrunk (which eventually led to their cross-ownership agreement with Renault). They had to take the bitter pill and reduce inefficiencies to be a relevant maker (they had to do a lot more platform sharing, supplier farming, off-shore manufacturing, etc. that Toyota and Honda were doing). They also streamlined their product line by a lot; they used to sell so many variants of cars with unique parts (they are still in the process of fully "globalizing" their product lineup).

The Japanese market hasn't changed much when it comes to who owns market share. Toyota and Nissan are still their biggest selling brands for regular sized vehicles. Honda, Daihatsu and Suzuki battle it out for share in the smaller car segments. Mazda, Subaru and Mitsubishi are more niche players.

Old Japanese cars didn't go through much corrosion treatment. Few people in Japan keep cars for a long time. In the past, most Japanese people didn't keep cars older than 5 years of age (cars are junked afterwards and sold abroad, mostly in RHD markets... or parted out for those "JDM" parts). Their car makers optimized their production to have cars that work perfectly for those 5 years, hence the rusting of old examples. Though the Japanese now keep their cars longer, they still don't keep them for very long (the average car in Japan has a mileage of 14,000mi based on AIRA data... that is very new in Western standards). 

The Japanese makers have gotten a lot better at corrosion-treatment in the late 80s and early 90s as foreign markets took up more and more of their sales (they had to adapt to their products to their consumer base). Toyota stepped up anti-corrosion treatment a little earlier as it was more export focused as a manufacturer. Nissan joined a little later on this game as they were more focused on their domestic market until that market started to slow down in the late 80s (Nissan's foreign divisions weren't profitable then, and they only profited from domestic sales). This focus on domestic sales was also the reason why they were heavily hit by the stagnation of the Japanese economy (which eventually led to their cross-ownership agreement with Renault). 

Wait, why wouldn't most Japanese people keep their cars past 5 years?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Wait, why wouldn't most Japanese people keep their cars past 5 years?

1. It is expensive to keep aging cars in Japan. Shaken expenses (inspection/registration/etc.) go up tremendously after the first shaken (first happens after 3 years, then every 2 years afterwards). If a car fails the extensive inspection, expensive repairs and new shaken charges (for recertification) would be incurred. Enthusiasts there do keep older cars, but they pay up to maintain that hobby. Most people just buy new cars and discard their old cars as "fuseikaizousha" or illegal vehicle (a lot of the exported vehicles and parts are exported as junk because they are no longer legal for use in Japan). 

2. It is part of the culture to like new things. Like with gadgets and appliances, they like changing their cars frequently to get the latest features. That is why the Prius is such a success in this market. 28% of cars sold in Japan are hybrids or electrics.

PAGE 77

-snip Porsche w/ surfbort-

Fin forward kook.

Since we're on engine sounds on this page, one of my favorite sounding cars: Individual throttle bodied S2000. The fly by sounds like an old F1 car.

*Skip to 1:05*

The 2 things mentioned above are also the reasons why used cars are so cheap there (people generally don't buy used cars). Most people would rather buy a new barebones minicar than to deal with the trouble of owning an "older" car.

That being said, small cars are so popular in Japan because they are much cheaper to own (automobile tax and purchasing requirements are dependent on vehicle size and engine displacement). They are also cheaper to buy, which makes sense since they don't keep them for very long. Many buyers go for smaller cars but buy them with lots of options and gadgets so that they get to maximize their outlay in actual goods (and pay less in terms of taxes).

Their smaller cars are often boxier with shorter hoods and/or trunks to maximize interior space while having the same road footprint (larger interior without raising vehicle tax). This is also why small displacement turbocharged and/or high revving engines had been common on Japan-market vehicles. If the engine displacement stays low, the taxes stay low (making it more desirable for buyers).

Honda-N-Box-Slash-side.jpg

Honda-N-Box-Slash-dashboard.jpg

It is cool how much you can fit inside one of these 660cc things... http://youtu.be/Fhfzv4kFoFA

On the other end of the spectrum is this V12 sedan for top executives:

1997_Toyota_Century_GZG50_005_7751.jpg

I think most of the buyers just don't know the difference. Most of the replicas are made using gravity casting, when the originals use a more sophisticated manufacturing method (often pressure cast, forged or flow-formed).

Gravity casting is suitable for old heavy/bulky wheel designs (older alloy wheels were often gravity cast). Newer lightweight designs need the structural strength and consistency of aluminum alloy formed using more advanced techniques. Copying a forged design and making it using a gravity cast is an accident waiting to happen. The alloy composition itself is also a factor at times.

When buying lesser known wheels, it pays to check and confirm if at least they are indeed VIA/JWL or TUV certified. What's worse is that there are truly "fake" wheels --- these ones don't even talk about who made them (they assume the brand and identity of whatever they're emulating).

I'll start by not buying spaghetti wheels in the first place. :P

#FordFTW

#ActuallyTakingCareOfYourVehicleFTW

Defects I understand but if you abuse it.. cmon..

The Japanese makers have gotten a lot better at corrosion-treatment in the late 80s and early 90s as foreign markets took up more and more of their sales (they had to adapt to their products to their consumer base). Toyota stepped up anti-corrosion treatment a little earlier as it was more export focused as a manufacturer. Nissan joined a little later on this game as they were more focused on their domestic market until that market started to slow down in the late 80s (Nissan's foreign divisions weren't profitable then, and they only profited from domestic sales). This focus on domestic sales was also the reason why they were heavily hit by the stagnation of the Japanese economy; vehicle sales fell and margins shrunk (which eventually led to their cross-ownership agreement with Renault). They had to take the bitter pill and reduce inefficiencies to be a relevant maker (they had to do a lot more platform sharing, supplier farming, off-shore manufacturing, etc. that Toyota and Honda were doing). They also streamlined their product line by a lot; they used to sell so many variants of cars with unique parts (they are still in the process of fully "globalizing" their product lineup).

The Japanese market hasn't changed much when it comes to who owns market share. Toyota and Nissan are still their biggest selling brands for regular sized vehicles. Honda, Daihatsu and Suzuki battle it out for share in the smaller car segments. Mazda, Subaru and Mitsubishi are more niche players.

I know^^

Nice to see a proper writeup on it though  :)

The 2 things mentioned above are also the reasons why used cars are so cheap there (people generally don't buy used cars). Most people would rather buy a new barebones minicar than to deal with the trouble of owning an "older" car.

That being said, small cars are so popular in Japan because they are much cheaper to own (automobile tax and purchasing requirements are dependent on vehicle size and engine displacement). They are also cheaper to buy, which makes sense since they don't keep them for very long. Many buyers go for smaller cars but buy them with lots of options and gadgets so that they get to maximize their outlay in actual goods (and pay less in terms of taxes).

Their smaller cars are often boxier with shorter hoods and/or trunks to maximize interior space while having the same road footprint (larger interior without raising vehicle tax). This is also why small displacement turbocharged and/or high revving engines had been common on Japan-market vehicles. If the engine displacement stays low, the taxes stay low (making it more desirable for buyers).

Honda-N-Box-Slash-side.jpg

Honda-N-Box-Slash-dashboard.jpg

It is cool how much you can fit inside one of these 660cc things... http://youtu.be/Fhfzv4kFoFA

On the other end of the spectrum is this V12 sedan for top executives:

1997_Toyota_Century_GZG50_005_7751.jpg

Now that Toyota Crown Royal. That is above and beyond. I mean, the doors open elecrtonically? That's insane. Plus, a 5.0L V12 to go with it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I wants.

817701-1600-1075.jpg

Oh please. I want a Vauxhall Maloo. DAmn powerful and also utilitarian. Truck with an LS3 engine.

Oh please. I want a Vauxhall Maloo. DAmn powerful and also utilitarian. Truck with an LS3 engine.

That thing is damn ugly too. :P I want a Ranchero because my dad had an opportunity to buy one buy didn't, they don't look half bad, and are fun cruisers.

Plus 'Murican.

That thing is damn ugly too. :P I want a Ranchero because my dad had an opportunity to buy one buy didn't, they don't look half bad, and are fun cruisers.

Plus 'Murican.

Oh come on, Vauxhall is technically the British GM. They are a joint venture. i mean, an Australian body with an American engine.

Oh come on, Vauxhall is technically the British GM. They are a joint venture. i mean, an Australian body with an American engine.

Too many styling lines, don't like the front end. It just isn't my cup of tea.

Now that Toyota Crown Royal. That is above and beyond. I mean, the doors open elecrtonically? That's insane. Plus, a 5.0L V12 to go with it.

That pic is of a Toyota Century with the standard wheelbase, which is an unrelated car. The Crown is a smaller full-sized car (about 2 feet shorter), with a slightly longer variant called the Crown Royal Saloon.

Too many styling lines, don't like the front end. It just isn't my cup of tea.

Yeah, I admit, the front looks like a mash, but golly, it's powerful for a pickup.

That pic is of a Toyota Century with the standard wheelbase, which is an unrelated car. The Crown is a smaller full-sized car (about 2 feet shorter), with a slightly longer variant called the Crown Royal Saloon.

Oops, but the second gen Century still features the same V12 I mentioned.

Yeah, I admit, the front looks like a mash, but golly, it's powerful for a pickup.

Eh, while LS engines are great I don't see myself chucking them in every vehicle because I don't want all of them to do 150, kinda pointless. :P

Eh, while LS engines are great I don't see myself chucking them in every vehicle because I don't want all of them to do 150, kinda pointless. :P

Not even in a drag race?

Not even in a drag race?

I wouldn't make a vehicle to drag only or be good at it. I would make a vehicle for a useful purpose and then see what times it runs.

I wouldn't make a vehicle to drag only or be good at it. I would make a vehicle for a useful purpose and then see what times it runs.

OK, what about a street legal track day car? Like take an ordinary street car, like a Camaro i.e., soup it up a little bit, and wait for a local track to open up for track days.