Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

First gen was a V8, but they decided it needed more power, so they went with a V12, yet it makes only 278HP due to emission restrictions.

The 280ps cap is not because of emissions restrictions. It's because the Japanese carmakers decided not to get into an engine output war, so they imposed a 280ps cap amongst themselves. That's why even the flagship Supras, GTOs, Fairladies, Skylines, and V8/V12 sedans were all rated at 280ps for the domestic market (most of them made more than that).

This agreement started to crumble in 2002.

The 280ps cap is not because of emissions restrictions. It's because the Japanese carmakers decided not to get into an engine output war, so they imposed a 280ps cap amongst themselves. That's why even the flagship Supras, GTOs, Fairladies, Skylines, and V8/V12 sedans were all rated at 280ps for the domestic market (most of them made more than that).

This agreement started to crumble in 2002.

I didn't mean emissions, I kinda did mean to say that. So , they were rated for more, but were advertised for a max of 280PS?

BTW, where do you live? Never heard of a Nissan Sylphy in America.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

But have you been in a Maybach?

Ultimate limo IMO

Would be interesting to see comparison of the Rolls Royce Phantom vs the Maybach 62S (maybe also vs the Bentley Mulsanne?).

Yes it can. Even has electric door openers, because they thought mechanical door handles were too obtrusive. Plus, it's got a V12. Sure it only can make 279 HP, but that's because of emission standards. Without it, it should make like 500 HP easily.

Electric door openers? Who cares cause you'd have a chauffeur to open it for you... There was a gentlemens agreement to have 280 hp/ps (can't remember) on all JDM cars so that's the reason why it makes such little power plus an inline 6 would be inherently smoother and provide the same power.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Yes it can. Even has electric door openers, because they thought mechanical door handles were too obtrusive. Plus, it's got a V12. Sure it only can make 279 HP, but that's because of emission standards. Without it, it should make like 500 HP easily.

Don't mistake the Crown Royal Saloon with the Century. They are different cars.

280ps is not due to emissions, it's because the Century was launched when the agreement was still in place (pre-2002). 500+hp is doable with the V12, but only with forced induction or major modifications. The 1GZ-FE is not a high flow engine, it is designed for accessible torque and smoothness.

What looks more luxurious? The Toyota Crown Royal or a 'lesser' (according to Terry's logic) Audi S8?

1024px-Toyota_Crown_Royal_Saloon.jpg

2013-audi-s8-european-spec_100405563_l.j

EDIT (so I don't do a double post):

Don't mistake the Crown Royal Saloon with the Century. They are different cars.

280ps is not due to emissions, it's because the Century was launched when the agreement was still in place (pre-2002). 500+hp is doable with the V12, but only with forced induction or major modifications. The 1GZ-FE is not a high flow engine, it is designed for accessible torque and smoothness.

The V12 motor (in general) or the specific one in the Toyota?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I didn't mean emissions, I kinda did mean to say that. So , they were rated for more, but were advertised for a max of 280PS?

BTW, where do you live? Never heard of a Nissan Sylphy in America.

They were rated at 280ps for domestic markets because of the agreement.

The Sylphy is supposedly a "personal luxury car," but it's really just a compact sedan with a nicer and quieter interior. They can be optioned out with navigation and other features. It's related to the Almera, Sentra, Sunny, Pulsar, and other Nissan compacts. 

Though the names interchange in other markets, here's the frequent designation to model name:

B - Sunny / Sentra / Scala 

N - Pulsar / Lucino / Almera

G - Sylphy 

Here's the interior of the older one:

interior1.jpg

There is also no Mitsubishi Challenger or Chevrolet Spin in North America. I am currently in the Philippines, though I go to North America about once a year and used to go to Japan because of work. Most of my relatives are in Australia so I go there quite a bit as well.

The V12 motor (in general) or the specific one in the Toyota?

The one in the Toyota. Some people use that engine to swap Supras, Soarers and other RWD cars.

They were rated at 280ps for domestic markets because of the agreement.

There is also no Mitsubishi Challenger or Chevrolet Spin in North America. I am currently in the Philippines, though I go to North America about once a year and used to go to Japan because of work. Most of my relatives are in Australia so I go there quite a bit as well.

There was such thing as a Mitsubishi Challenger in America. IT was called the Montero.

I'm confused now. You live in the Philippines, but your profile pic says Proud to be a Pennsylvania Hunter. Is that the are of America you visit every year?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

What looks more luxurious? The Toyota Crown Royal or a 'lesser' (according to Terry's logic) Audi S8?

Don't underestimate Toyota's luxury car abilities (Lexus). No doubt the Audi is a better car but the Toyota seems like a nicer, more luxurious place to be.

System: Thinkpad T460

There was such thing as a Mitsubishi Challenger in America. IT was called the Montero.

I'm confused now. You live in the Philippines, but your profile pic says Proud to be a Pennsylvania Hunter. Is that the are of America you visit every year?

They sold this gen's model in the US? Didn't know that.

They sold this gen's model in the US? Didn't know that.

Actually, still being sold as a Montero, coincidentally. Guess, they decided to keep it in America.

Don't underestimate Toyota's luxury car abilities (Lexus). No doubt the Audi is a better car but the Toyota seems like a nicer, more luxurious place to be.

Here's a comparison of the interiors:

2013-Toyota-Crown-Royal-96.jpg

2015-audi-a8-w12-rear-interior.jpg

Actually, still being sold as a Montero, coincidentally. Guess, they decided to keep it in America.

It's not exactly on their website?

2015-audi-a8-w12-rear-interior.jpg

That's not an S8. You picked the maybach of Audis lol

And a base Toyota.

jyY2XTY.jpg

System: Thinkpad T460

Yes, I visit every year. I actually studied in CA, but I'm often in the south and northeast because of work.

The Montero is a Pajero/Shogun.That is a different vehicle. The current Montero is a 2-row 4x4 with IRS. It is more like a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The Challenger is a Pajero Sport/Montero Sport. The current Challenger is a 3-row truck-based SUV with a live rear axle. It is very much like a 4Runner. Over here it competes with the Isuzu MU-X, Toyota Fortuner, Ford Everest and Chevrolet Colorado.

It's not exactly on their website?

Oh I'm such an idiot. IT listed it as Mitsubishi Montero Sport (North America), but it said it was discontinued in North America in 2003 in the First Gen section.

Can anyone fast forward time for me? next september my car finance ends, I am selling my 2007 Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 SE, and hopefully picking up a Porsche Boxter S, so excited but its so long to wait :( 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That's not an S8. You picked the mayback of Audis lol

And a base Toyota.

jyY2XTY.jpg

Oh shit that's the A8, sorry! Here's the S8:

2013_audi_s8_us_23_1600x1200.jpg

And that is the interior of the 2013 Crown Royal, same gen as that exterior; look at the rear armrest's LCD and the wheel.

Oh I'm such an idiot. IT listed it as Mitsubishi Montero Sport (North America), but it said it was discontinued in North America in 2003 in the First Gen section.

Ohhh...

Can anyone fast forward time for me? next september my car finance ends, I am selling my 2007 Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 SE, and hopefully picking up a Porsche Boxter S, so excited but its so long to wait :(

How'd the insurance cost for a car like that? What year is it? Not a Cayman?

ohhhhhh lol

You...........uh.....................compensating 

Oh shit that's the A8, sorry! Here's the S8:

2013_audi_s8_us_23_1600x1200.jpg

And that is the interior of the 2013 Crown Royal, same gen as that exterior; look at the rear armrest's LCD and the wheel.

Ohhh...

The S8 looks really bare, if you ask me. Looks like they forgoed the power rear seats and the in seat tv screens for speed.

The S8 looks really bare, if you ask me. Looks like they forgoed the power rear seats and the in seat tv screens for speed.

No, the last pic was the A8 long wheelbase, the short one of the normal A8 and the S8 don't have the power rear seats and the RSE is a cost option not in this car IIRC.

How'd the insurance cost for a car like that? What year is it? Not a Cayman?

Well I Pay £600 a year for my Audi, its £1050 for the Porsche.. no not a caymen haha I can get a 2005 Boxter S for about £10k

You...........uh.....................compensating 

No I am just bored of my boring car, I very rarely ever even have a passenger, and I want something fast 

Also considering a few others, Nissan 350z (brother has one though), Integra DC5, Honda S2000, etc etc etc but I love the idea of the Porsche, I mean why not, 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Well I Pay £600 a year for my Audi, its £1050 for the Porsche.. no not a caymen haha I can get a 2005 Boxter S for about £10k

But the Cayman is the coupe version isn't it? I thought it'd be cheaper because it's not a convertible...

But the Cayman is the coupe version isn't it? I thought it'd be cheaper because it's not a convertible...

Hardtops are more expensive, been looking at the BMW Z4 and the convertibles are all cheaper

no idea why, I prefer a hardtop since its england its generally wet and cold :P though we do have warm (ish) summers :P

I can always buy a hardtop though, they are like £500 - £1000 on ebay

No, the last pic was the A8 long wheelbase, the short one of the normal A8 and the S8 don't have the power rear seats and the RSE is a cost option not in this car IIRC.

There's seriously a long and a short wheelbase model for a sedan? MIND: BLOWN.

No I am just bored of my boring car, I very rarely ever even have a passenger, and I want something fast 

Also considering a few others, Nissan 350z (brother has one though), Integra DC5, Honda S2000, etc etc etc but I love the idea of the Porsche, I mean why not, 

I would get an S2000,. Insurance for everything else is probably too high.