Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

OK, what about a street legal track day car? Like take an ordinary street car, like a Camaro i.e., soup it up a little bit, and wait for a local track to open up for track days.

Planning on that, not going to through a 600+hp engine in it though.

Planning on that, not going to through a 600+hp engine in it though.

Don't worry. get a 2014 Camaro Callaway edition. Those are pretty much track day ready.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

OK, what about a street legal track day car? Like take an ordinary street car, like a Camaro i.e., soup it up a little bit, and wait for a local track to open up for track days.

i do that with my bmw that has 170 hp and factory suspention haha. Still plenty of fun though.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Don't worry. get a 2014 Camaro Callaway edition. Those are pretty much track day ready.

That's not fun though. I'd rather build the suspension myself. :P

On the other end of the spectrum is this V12 sedan for top executives:

Why some old sedan?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

i do that with my bmw that has 170 hp and factory suspention haha. Still plenty of fun though.

I've seen totally stock cars do the track pretty well. Heck, on top gear, I saw some guy in a stock prelude just shred his tires.

That's not fun though. I'd rather build the suspension myself. :P

I agree, though it takes time and can sometimes be a bitch.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Why some old sedan?

It's not old. It's still in production. They just don't export these models.

It's not old. It's still in production. They just don't export these models.

Uhhh no thanks. Much rather have one of these as a luxo-boat:

2014-Mercedes-Benz-S63-AMG-55.jpg

Or maybe a pre-facelift Audi A8 W12/S8...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I agree, though it takes time and can sometimes be a bitch.

So long as I have the time and money to work on it I wouldn't be too annoyed.

Oops, but the second gen Century still features the same V12 I mentioned.

The one I posted is the second generation, and is the civilian version (Century). The official car of the Emperor is the custom Century Royal.

The first generation was typically V8-powered.

Why some old sedan?

It's still in production. It's the Japanese equivalent to a Rolls Royce, hence the retro design.

Uhhh no thanks. Much rather have one of these as a luxo-boat:

2014-Mercedes-Benz-S63-AMG-55.jpg

Or maybe a pre-facelift Audi A8 W12/S8...

Ew. I'd prefer Japanese luxury over European luxury.

On another note, I've never seen a proper American luxury car. What was the last proper luxury car they've made?

The one I posted is the second generation, and is the civilian version (Century). The official car of the Emperor is the custom Century Royal.

The first generation was typically V8-powered.

It's still in production. It's the Japanese equivalent to a Rolls Royce, hence the retro design.

First gen was a V8, but they decided it needed more power, so they went with a V12, yet it makes only 278HP due to emission restrictions.

On another note, I've never seen a proper American luxury car. What was the last proper luxury car they've made?

Walk to a Cadillac dealership? The CTS V is actually kinda nice on the inside.

Walk to a Cadillac dealership? The CTS V is actually kinda nice on the inside.

Well, like true luxury. The CTS V I think is too much power and not enough luxury. It needs to be balanced, like a Lexus LS460.

Well, like true luxury. The CTS V I think is too much power and not enough luxury. It needs to be balanced, like a Lexus LS460.

Well what do you define as true luxury? I don't think I'm qualified to say because I'm happy with comfortable cloth seats. :lol:

Jap luxury cars? I guess the current GS350 and the LS460 are okay but really, don't compare the Japs to Die Deutscher. I've taken a ride in a 2013 Audi A6 and it's better than the current GS350.

The last American luxury car would be the Tesla Model S or the Cadillac XTS.

Well what do you define as true luxury? I don't think I'm qualified to say because I'm happy with comfortable cloth seats. :lol:

He defines true luxury as a Lexus. I define true luxury as a Bentley/Rolls Royce...

Maybach S600. Lexus LS600H. Toyota Crown Royal. All these pure luxury with some good power too to balance it. But yeah, all my cars are cloth seated so i really never felt leather before :lol:

The S-Class is a beautiful car. The Pullman should be out soon:

2016-mercedes-benz-s-class-pullman-spy-s

What is your definition of a "proper" luxury car? If you're asking for a Maybach / Rolls-Royce / Bentley caliber product, then yes there are none.

If you're asking for a BMW / Audi / Mercedes / Lexus / Infiniti equivalent, then maybe the Cadillac CTS.

He defines true luxury as a Lexus. I define true luxury as a Bentley/Rolls Royce...

Well, I've been in a Rolls before, no Lexus or Toyota can compare.

The Toyota Crown Royal can.

The Toyota Crown Royal can.

No.

EDIT: On Wikipedia, it's more related to the Lexus GS... 'Luxury'

But have you been in a Maybach?

Ultimate limo IMO

System: Thinkpad T460

No.

Yes it can. Even has electric door openers, because they thought mechanical door handles were too obtrusive. Plus, it's got a V12. Sure it only can make 279 HP, but that's because of emission standards. Without it, it should make like 500 HP easily.

But have you been in a Maybach?

Ultimate limo IMO

Not yet, really want to though.