Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

how can you have  GPA higher than 4??? what is this?

weighted. it also factors pluses and minuses and also AP courses :P

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

20 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I HAVE FOUND AN AUTOCROSS..:

...the Tuesday after the last weekend of competition. 

Starts back up in March. 

coolio!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, terrytek said:

weighted. it also factors pluses and minuses and also AP courses :P

in other words... Kinda meaningless??

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

in other words... Kinda meaningless??

a lil bit. but colleges seem to prefer higher weighted gpas.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

yum.

DLOYQ1bX0AAFH1W.jpg

16 minutes ago, terrytek said:

yum.

DLOYQ1bX0AAFH1W.jpg

FB_IMG_1506610448572.jpg

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

Anyone know what uniroyal rainsport 3s are like?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

12 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@bcredeur97 What are your autocross tires? Googling found that you can fit 245s in the front and 275s in the rear on 17s. I'm probably going to put 245s all the way around. I also haven't had much luck finding results for "light 17s for S10" Bolt pattern is 5 x 120.65 center bore is 83 or so mm (on my ultras anyway).

usually in my experience better tire > fatter tire. so if you have to compromise a bit, it's probably worth it.

but anyway... I use RE-71R's. Either those or the Rival S 1.5's are pretty much the best tires that are allowed in street classes. all the other 200tw tires are made more for track-oriented use(still high grip, just made for longer durations and high temperatures) rather than outright grip-as-much-as-possible. those 2 are like the "super softs" of the street tire world. Dont last as long and will overheat on prolonged track driving, but man are they good for something short like autoX...

It's generally accepted you'll get about 1-1.5 year(s) of autocrossing with them. if you dont go to every event, maybe a good bit more. 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, terrytek said:

I'd much prefer an Evora over the other two tbh bc more comfortable and more power.

It's also a bit heavier. I know it's more like a regular car and not a track monster (even tho it is track tested and such, and performs nicely when tracked I'd say), but I think I'd still take an Elise. More than enough power, costs half as much (or something among those lines) and most likely consumes less because 1.8L I4 (if it is the 220 model, otherwise it's a 1.6) vs 3.5L V6. And trust, the Elise is amazing on track. And reliable too, they took quite a long abuse when I went there without breaking a sweat. Constantly being beaten up on the track and still running strong.

Yes, of course, if it was a car to make long trips and such, the Evora would suit you much better. But if that isn't the case, Elise is more than enough imo.

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

Anyone know what uniroyal rainsport 3s are like?

I think we have those on the E60. They are a bit noisey when cornering hard, other than that, pretty good tire I'd say (can't quite put my finger on them because I don't drive yet...)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/Rainsport-3.htm

I mean... They seem pretty good and we don't have any complains...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Really digging my new workplace. Will be fun to see how this turns out.

Cammy wouldn't start though so i had to get on a bus.. But the App used to buy tickets is pretty smooth.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

3 minutes ago, techswede said:

Really digging my new workplace. Will be fun to see how this turns out.

Cammy wouldn't start though so i had to get on a bus.. But the App used to buy tickets is pretty smooth.

Awwww.. Is it battery related you think?

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Awwww.. Is it battery related you think?

Probably. Cranked over and slowly lost charge. Worst kind of fault. The one that gives you hope.

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

2 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I think we have those on the E60. They are a bit noisey when cornering hard, other than that, pretty good tire I'd say (can't quite put my finger on them because I don't drive yet...)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/Rainsport-3.htm

I mean... They seem pretty good and we don't have any complains...

Having the fronts replaced with them tomorrow. Only £70 each

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

Just now, iDeFecZx said:

Having the fronts replaced with them tomorrow. Only £70 each

Not bad. What about the rear ones? Keeping the old ones? (obvious, duh)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

33 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Not bad. What about the rear ones? Keeping the old ones? (obvious, duh)

Its got ContiPremiumContact 2s on the rear. 

This is why im replacing the fronts

received_1677482488988713.jpeg

59 minutes ago, techswede said:

Probably. Cranked over and slowly lost charge. Worst kind of fault. The one that gives you hope.

That's not a fun one to fix.

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

LS swap time. Get a megasquirt @techswede

Boo, megasquirt! 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Do you prefer a different standalone?

My experiences with the AEM EMS-4 were far superior to the megasquirt 2 we used for the formula cars back in college.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

29 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Its got ContiPremiumContact 2s on the rear. 

This is why im replacing the fronts

received_1677482488988713.jpeg

Pesky little nail. Those suck. Even weirder they ended on the corner of the sidewall and patch. Typically i would see them in the tread.

also nice curb rash :P

25 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

That's not a fun one to fix.

Just needs a jump and a whole lot of driving.

29 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

14 mpg isn't SOOO bad. 

I'm curious what the s10 will get with an LS2 in it

It is when that's worse than the 20-21 it's currently getting.

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

@techswede why not a supercharged 3.8 swap?

That was the original plan. Not that keen on it anymore