Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

inb4 5 years/5miles

lol jk. sounds nice. just check for attached strings.

Looking into it deeper, and looking into the site as a whole

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

47 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@terrytek windows has an advanced boot settings screen that you can get to and use to get into the UEFI and disable fastboot and do other things like boot from removable media 

Advanced startup options

Then on advanced startup hit restart now and you should be able to figure out the rest.

Such feature does not exist in this laptop. It's so locked down, that in control panel, there are only 3 settings: mouse, ease of access, and power options. i can't even change the fucking desktop background of my laptop. it's that locked down, so i doubt there's any way i can access advanced boot settings.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

42 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Has all the tell tell signs of a spun bearing. But worst case scenario I do have a lead on a new engine with a 5 YEAR WARANTEE

What car / engine do you have?

My bearings just detonated you could hear the rod slapping on the crankshaft, oil pan full of shavings...

27 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Such feature does not exist in this laptop. It's so locked down, that in control panel, there are only 3 settings: mouse, ease of access, and power options. i can't even change the fucking desktop background of my laptop. it's that locked down, so i doubt there's any way i can access advanced boot settings.

is this a school laptop or something? i.e. not actually *yours*

if so you shouldn't mess with it anyways...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

My bearings just detonated you could hear the rod slapping on the crankshaft, oil pan full of shavings...

knock knock

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

knock knock

Oh it was horrendous I limped it about 2-3km home and it lasted maybe 1-2 more five second turn overs to try and diagnose anything before I felt it was going to blow up.  Then I just took it apart haha.

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

is this a school laptop or something? i.e. not actually *yours*

if so you shouldn't mess with it anyways...

it is a school laptop. they gave every student one of these base hp x360s to use for the year. i like how they're a 2 in 1 touchscreen, but i just hate their firewall so much, like what's the fucking point of blocking pretty much every music streaming service known to man? that seems absofuckinglutely stupid.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

11 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

Oh it was horrendous I limped it about 2-3km home and it lasted maybe 1-2 more five second turn overs to try and diagnose anything before I felt it was going to blow up.  Then I just took it apart haha.

hey they can knock all they want; so long as they don't open the door themselves before you get to it amirite? 

XD

Spoiler

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

it is a school laptop. they gave every student one of these base hp x360s to use for the year. i like how they're a 2 in 1 touchscreen, but i just hate their firewall so much, like what's the fucking point of blocking pretty much every music streaming service known to man? that seems absofuckinglutely stupid.

it's not your laptop. they want students to use it for school. and that's all that they give them to you for. 

That stuff is supposed to be done on your personal machine. 

Learning what I have learned from working in IT; you want to give your users the minimum they need to get all of their work done whilst still having a good user experience. If you give your users too much headroom; then that's when the doors open up to IT headaches that give you more work when you already have enough work to do to just keep the place running. The last thing any IT dept. wants is all their users running to them exclaiming they have a virus or something isn't working because they modified something that they shouldn't even be touching for their work.

so while breaking things and bypassing security is cool; you should always respect the good intentions behind it. Save that fun for your own projects and for learning in a *safe* environment. Last thing you want is the laptop you need for school being taken away from you just because you wanted to unlock functionality on it... also keep in mind especially in schools it only takes 1 person to ruin it for everyone. 1 person.

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

2000 Saab 9-5 with a B235E that was making 19psi when it let go

Exact same situation here

20170606_212358.thumb.jpg.ec2ed054b8c4733d83fec06f2c50b8ba.jpg

20170727_195625.thumb.jpg.18023b1f24ba58f7ad26371fcb6e1a1e.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Some people. I came across this post on Twitter, a person saying that their tire had been "slashed" by someone. And I'm just sitting here, looking at it, telling myself "No one slashed your tire. And if they did, they would have done you a favor."

Picture of tire below.

Spoiler

DGQAoEqUMAAZrL4.jpgDGQAoEwVoAAQmJo.jpg

48 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Some people. I came across this post on Twitter, a person saying that their tire had been "slashed" by someone. And I'm just sitting here, looking at it, telling myself "No one slashed your tire. And if they did, they would have done you a favor."

Picture of tire below.

Hide contents

DGQAoEqUMAAZrL4.jpgDGQAoEwVoAAQmJo.jpg

wtf o.O that tire must be at least 15 years old i have never seen rubber tires crumble like that.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

it's not your laptop. they want students to use it for school. and that's all that they give them to you for. 

That stuff is supposed to be done on your personal machine. 

Learning what I have learned from working in IT; you want to give your users the minimum they need to get all of their work done whilst still having a good user experience. If you give your users too much headroom; then that's when the doors open up to IT headaches that give you more work when you already have enough work to do to just keep the place running. The last thing any IT dept. wants is all their users running to them exclaiming they have a virus or something isn't working because they modified something that they shouldn't even be touching for their work.

so while breaking things and bypassing security is cool; you should always respect the good intentions behind it. Save that fun for your own projects and for learning in a *safe* environment. Last thing you want is the laptop you need for school being taken away from you just because you wanted to unlock functionality on it... also keep in mind especially in schools it only takes 1 person to ruin it for everyone. 1 person.

well the least they can do is unblock popular music sites like spotify and pandora and other trustworthy sites because in my classes there are working times, and usually they allow music, so i wanna listen to music while i work because when i listen to music, i become a much more productive person. that's the least i ask honestly. idc if i can't even change the desktop background i just want my damn music (and we can listen to music, but not on phones so)

Lucky bastard

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

38 minutes ago, terrytek said:

wtf o.O that tire must be at least 15 years old i have never seen rubber tires crumble like that.

To quote the person.

I had my car inspected during my last oil change and my tires were deemed fine. These tires don't even have 50k miles on them...

So that oil change was like... 10 years ago?

19 minutes ago, techswede said:

Lucky bastard

~snip~

This is one of the better 'barn' finds that I know of.

19 minutes ago, techswede said:

Lucky bastard

Man that's mint. I've really been getting into muscle cars recently. I want like a Duster or a Dart.

System: Thinkpad T460

59 minutes ago, terrytek said:

well the least they can do is unblock popular music sites like spotify and pandora and other trustworthy sites because in my classes there are working times, and usually they allow music, so i wanna listen to music while i work because when i listen to music, i become a much more productive person. that's the least i ask honestly. idc if i can't even change the desktop background i just want my damn music (and we can listen to music, but not on phones so)

Find it hard to believe a teacher would let music on a laptop but not on a phone during "working" times maybe bring that up and the difference between the two? The phone would be in your pocket when listening to music using a laptop you got a big screen right in your face don't know how that isn't distracting...  If music is so important and the above doesnt work invest in a cheap mp3 player of some sort and load it full of music and listen away.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

hey they can knock all they want; so long as they don't open the door themselves before you get to it amirite? 

xD

If your referring to self driving cars then yes, you are right.  At least once that takes off every road will be like an autocross of cars to weave in and out of cause they will be super predictable haha.

Wagon is up on the trailer ready to head to the shop. Probably won't be here when I get off work tomorrow. Gonna be so odd to come home to a house with no wagon out front for the first time since last September.. But it's for the best. Goal is to have the car up and running by the 15th. But I'm very doubtful. 

Just had a look online and finally the S2K is appreciating :/ a 2001 model will set you 5 grand and at v. high mileage. Whoever has one, at least in the UK is one lucky person.